• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

Of interest from the end of this video:It'd be great if Altidore could play a role in the next game, but it still sounds like a long shot. I do think that Altidore coming off has played some role in Bradley's issues and the possession problems for the US thus far. Bradley is playing out of position yet he's still covering a lot of ground on defense. As others have noted, he's run more than any other player in the tournament through three games, so fatigue is undoubtedly an issue. You can't play d-mid and a-mid at the same time, but it seems like he's trying. This doesn't fully explain why he seems "off" at the moment, but perhaps it's contributing. Altidore coming off hasn't helped Dempsey either, but Clint is still generating some offense with the scraps he's being fed.

The offset midfield diamond that the US was running in the Turkey & Nigeria games seemed to be getting most of the best players on the field and presented a somewhat balanced lineup that could defend and attack. (Obviously, the level of competition in the three group games is higher than those were.) Having Jozy go down threw that out the window and now there are a couple of players out of position, but you have to make the best of what you've got left. I guess the question is whether Klinsmann should stick with what he's used so far (more or less a 4-1-4-1) or change things up for the Belgium match.
There is a solution to all of this. Give Jones the freedom to roam up front and let Bradley stay back with Beckermen more often. Which is what seems to be happening. Issue is that Clint is getting too isolated at times. I would play Aron as a second forward in place in one of the wing options (who haven't done much anyway). JK should just tell Michael to hang back a little and make the run forward when the opportunities present itself.

edit: not too surprised that Besler is getting attention from some European clubs. He has been solid so far. Always knew there was a good chance he would be gone from SKC with a good showing.

daegan

Four away from destiny.

I'm going to miss waffles though.

EDIT: It's strange to me seeing people (on Facebook, IRL) trying to temper expectations for this. We have played much better than in 2010 and it wasn't nearly the accident it was then, even if we put ourselves through that time. We look solid right now. I believe we can find that higher gear. More importantly, o believe they believe it.

Most importantly, Jones is absolutely a man possessed at the moment.

Askani

LTTP: We got out of group! Celebrated with a ginormous steak and went into a meat coma.

In other news: Rumors are that since Jorge Claros and Honduras are out of the World Cup, he's going to sign with SKC very soon. They've been chasing him for a year.

Nesotenso

LTTP: We got out of group! Celebrated with a ginormous steak and went into a meat coma.

In other news: Rumors are that since Jorge Claros and Honduras are out of the World Cup, he's going to sign with SKC very soon. They've been chasing him for a year.

Olum will drop back as cover in the CB position. But I hope EPB keeps getting starts. He could feature in the U20 World cup in 2015 and the Olympics in 2016 if everything goes right with his development.

Hieberrr

Bradley needs to play holding mid. He plays out of position as an AM, unless the forwards have an easy time making runs (which it currently doesn't unless on a counter).

Mully

Bradley needs to play holding mid. He plays out of position as an AM, unless the forwards have an easy time making runs (which it currently doesn't unless on a counter).

He's a great midfielder. He's got a motor, but I totally agree; he needs to show restraint and play his position. He showed today he can be a solid defensive middie. I'd be really interested in what the US could do with a 4-5-1 should they have a healthy Jozy and a defensive Bradley on Tuesday.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He's a great midfielder. He's got a motor, but I totally agree; he needs to show restraint and play his position. He showed today he can be a solid defensive middie. I'd be really interested in what the US could do with a 4-5-1 should they have a healthy Jozy and a defensive Bradley on Tuesday.

If we had a healthy Jozy we may as well take advantage and go 4-4 (diamond)-2. Jozy's always done better with someone like Clint making additional runs anyway.

Having said that I can't help but spot points during these matches where someone else making an attacking run would result in an easy tap in goal. Right now it feels like only Dempsey is making those sorts of runs with no one else making a slightly later, parallel run just in case. The sort that Donovan or Jozy would normally make. There was one during the Germany game where I couldn't help but feel one more attacking run could have resulted in a goal.

It just feels like we don't have enough of an attacking threat on the field right now. Every time the Germans made the sort of cross and attacking run I'm talking about--especially in the second half--they would throw three or four guys at the ball. As opposed to when we did it, where it felt like only Dempsey would make that run.

xbhaskarx

He's a great midfielder. He's got a motor, but I totally agree; he needs to show restraint and play his position.

It seems pretty clear Bradley's having to change how he plays, because the US basically has no attacking midfielders either starting or anywhere on the roster (since Klinsmann isn't using Diskerud).

The whole roster is a clusterfuck. One too many defenders, we have versatility and didn't use that to our advantage to save a crucial defender roster spot. No backup for Altidore, as has been discussed. No attacking midfielders to link up play or help create chances. Three CDM-types on the entire roster, yet all three are starters and so important to the team that they go the full 90 every game, even though it's a position likely to miss games with cards and 2 of the 3 are over 30. We're actually quite lucky Jones and Beckerman haven't missed a game due to cards or injury, what would Klinsmann do then?

It seems pretty clear Bradley's having to change how he plays, because the US basically has no attacking midfielders either starting or anywhere on the roster (since Klinsmann isn't using Diskerud).

The whole roster is a clusterfuck. One too many defenders, we have versatility and didn't use that to our advantage to save a crucial defender roster spot. No backup for Altidore, as has been discussed. No attacking midfielders to link up play or help create chances. Three CDM-types on the entire roster, yet all three are starters and so important to the team that they go the full 90 every game, even though it's a position likely to miss games with cards and 2 of the 3 are over 30. We're actually quite lucky Jones and Beckerman haven't missed a game due to cards or injury, what would Klinsmann do then?

he would play diskarud, because he is an attacking midfielder. He would move Bradley back to DCM

Askani

Olum will drop back as cover in the CB position. But I hope EPB keeps getting starts. He could feature in the U20 World cup in 2015 and the Olympics in 2016 if everything goes right with his development.

I think he will. EPB has never has been as bad as that first start in Chicago. He keeps getting better and at worst, is a serviceable CB right now. Another year or two and he should be quite good. There's definitely enough skill there if he keeps putting in the work.

http://www.espnfc.us/turkish-super-...chim-low-and-jurgen-klinsmann-are-top-targets

Galatasaray have confirmed talks with David Moyes as they seek a replacement for Roberto Mancini but said Joachim Low and Jurgen Klinsmann are their top targets.

Moyes has been out of a job since being sacked as Manchester United manager in April after only 10 months at Old Trafford.

Former Manchester City boss Mancini left Galatasaray earlier in June and the club confirmed to the Press Association that Moyes has visited Turkey for an exchange of ideas with club officials.

However, the Turkish Super Lig side have said Germany boss Low and U.S. boss Klinsmann are their primary targets.

A Galatasaray spokesman said: "The president has given a speech about it. He said that we just spoke with David Moyes and he said that he can come to Galatasaray but he is not one of the main targets for us.

"They just spoke to each other, exchanging ideas -- that it is it. It is true the president talked with David Moyes. We are not in a rush -- we are waiting for the end of the World Cup.

"The first two targets are Low or Klinsmann.''

Low is currently in charge of the Germany side at the World Cup in Brazil, where Klinsmann has also impressed in charge of the United States.

lol

xbhaskarx

Official #USA International Terrence Boyd leaving Rapid Vienna to join 2. Bundesliga's Red Bull Leipzig. 1.5m Euros is reported transfer fee

That's a damn shame, he'd do a lot more on the field than Brad Davis.

the wingers are supposed to be decent defenders as well. They take over more defensive duties when wingbacks make overlapping runs. To my knowledge, Mix isn't much of a defensive midfielder. He would not do well within this system on the wings. I think Jurgen brought him in simply as a replacement for Bradley if injury struck.

Could very well be wrong though.

xbhaskarx

But Brad Davis is a pretty unimpressive defender, who doesn't even put in that much work defensively to help out on his side... yet another reason his inclusion made no sense.

gutshot

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

Official #USA International Terrence Boyd leaving Rapid Vienna to join 2. Bundesliga's Red Bull Leipzig. 1.5m Euros is reported transfer fee
Greg Seltzer says:
While loads of outlets in Austria and Germany have Terrence Boyd on his way to Red Bull Leipzig (with some even claiming his unveiling will take place today), I can assure you all that these reports are inaccurate.

Yes, the ambitious 2.Bundesliga club are in the race for our man T-Boyd, but so are Sporting Lisbon and Wigan. I have been told by his agent that no one club holds a lead on the others at this moment, but all three are making proposals to Rapid, so stay tuned...

- Zonal Marking on US-Germany and the rest of the games yesterday

TV Ratings from the Sports Business Journal
ESPN says it averaged a 6.3 overnight for USA-Germany, lowest USA overnight for group stage. It got 9.1 for Portugal and a 7.0 for Ghana.

ESPN says WatchESPN set a platform-record 1.7M peak concurrent viewers, a figure that certainly hurt the USA-Germany overnight TV rating.

Top TV markets: NY (9.7), SD (8.6), Sac. (8.3), Sea (8.1), Orl (8.1), Balt (8.1), Columbus (8.1), W Palm (7.9), Providence (7.6), SF (7.2).

DC (4.0) still pulls in ESPN's highest World Cup TV ratings to date, followed by NY (3.7), SF (3.5), Orlando (3.1) and LA (3.1).

Tim Howard saves from yesterday (via NYT):

WAnQ0QK.jpg

- WSJ: World Cup Players' Penalty Kick Patterns

Osorio

I wonder how much of that NY rating will translate to MLS ratings or tickets.

The passion for the game is huge here throughout the Tri-State area but it's the definite champion in futbol snobbery.

There is a solution to all of this. Give Jones the freedom to roam up front and let Bradley stay back with Beckermen more often. Which is what seems to be happening. Issue is that Clint is getting too isolated at times. I would play Aron as a second forward in place in one of the wing options (who haven't done much anyway). JK should just tell Michael to hang back a little and make the run forward when the opportunities present itself.
Last game it felt like Jones was playing higher than Bradley a lot of the time. At least they have their rotations worked out now. For some reason the Jones/Bradley combo never really worked as a 2-man midfield, but it's much better in a 3-man set and Beckerman hanging back in that triangle with the two centerbacks. The problem now is that there isn't enough offense on the field and the possession is suffering without Altidore. I guess it depends how aggressively Klinsmann wants to approach the Belgium game as you could insert Mix, Wondo, or Johannsson.
the wingers are supposed to be decent defenders as well. They take over more defensive duties when wingbacks make overlapping runs. To my knowledge, Mix isn't much of a defensive midfielder. He would not do well within this system on the wings. I think Jurgen brought him in simply as a replacement for Bradley if injury struck.
Mix would help with possession, but then you're going to have problem defending one wing or the other (assuming he's in for either Bedoya or Zusi). Davis didn't work out, either - they had to move him off the left wing because Boateng kept on getting free down that side.

Anyone have a lineup that they'd go with on Tuesday?

gutshot

I don't think Jozy will start, but if we are down a goal late, I can see him coming on and hopefully getting us a crucial goal, Kirk-Gibson-style.

Grant Wahl said:
Jones & Bedoya tested for concussion symptoms during game, last night and this morning. None detected.
Brian Straus said:
Altidore was doing some jogging around field here in Sao Paulo. USSF says this is his 3rd day jogging/running. Altidore is running/training, cont to improve, but status "uncertain".

Klinsmann press conference quotes from various sources:
@DougMacESPN: Klinsmann: "Everyone has to call up his 100% [vs. Belgium]. In our team, nobody can claim that he’s reached his 100% yet.” #usmnt

@GrantWahl: Klinsmann: "You got out of this group, now anything is doable."

@GrantWahl: Klinsmann on Altidore's chances of playing vs #BEL: "We are very optimistic. Every day is a big step forward for him."

@GrantWahl: Klinsmann says he told his players here: "Make sure all your flights are booked after July 13." That's the day of the World Cup final.

EDIT:
@SoccerInsider: Klinsmann says he has not been contacted by Galatasaray, which has expressed interest in him & Joachim Loew

@GrantWahl: Klinsmann on practicing for penalty shootouts: "We were practicing already at Stanford." Says he doesn't know his first five takers yet.

@GrantWahl: Klinsmann on Bradley: "I'm very satisfied with Michael in this tournament so far. I know he has another gear in him."

Askani

Kompany uncertain to make US game at World Cup

MOGI DAS CRUZES, Brazil (AP) -- Belgium coach Marc Wilmots says defensive mainstay Vincent Kompany is uncertain for Tuesday's World Cup game against the United States because of a recurring groin injury.

The injury to his captain compounded the defensive worries for Wilmots, who also has defenders Thomas Vermaelen, Laurent Ciman and Anthony Vanden Borre on the injury list.

Tuesday's match against the United States is widely expected to be a fierce physical battle, where all players will have to be in top shape to last the full game.

Wilmots said Friday it was ''impossible to say now'' whether Kompany would be ready to play. His omission would be a huge setback for the team, since Wilmots considers the Manchester City captain his ''right-hand man'' on the pitch.

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/kompan...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Dartastic

Holy crap, I'm tied for 2nd in the GAF WC bracket predictor. Go me. I also predicted the Belgium and USA game, and predicted that the USA would win.... COME ON GO GO USA.

ALSO, MLS IS BACK. GO GO TIMBERS, BEAT SKC LIKE WE DID EARLIER IN THE WEEK, WOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Holy crap, I'm tied for 2nd in the GAF WC bracket predictor. Go me. I also predicted the Belgium and USA game, and predicted that the USA would win.... COME ON GO GO USA.

ALSO, MLS IS BACK. GO GO TIMBERS, BEAT SKC LIKE WE DID EARLIER IN THE WEEK, WOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

My bracket is fuuuuuuuuuuuucked

- Brian Phillips for Grantland: Five Burning Questions for the World Cup Knockout Rounds (includes one on the USMNT)

More tv numbers from the Sports Business Journal:
Crazy numbers for a weekday, noon ET game: USA-Germany: 14.2M TV viewers and 4.9M unique viewers for ESPN and Univision combined.

ESPN says the USA-Germany match on WatchESPN had 3.2 million live unique viewers and "provided a 10% lift to ESPN’s TV audience."

USA-Germany set WatchESPN records in unique viewers (3.2M), minutes (143M live minutes) and average minute audience (1.05M).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom