• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Timmy posted this on Facebook. Love it.

10513274_10152562508174122_6003554561455245845_n.jpg

xbhaskarx

Forbes: TV Ratings for U.S. Vs. Germany World Cup Game On ESPN Third-Highest Ever

Thursday’s World Cup match between Team USA and Germany may have come out as a 0-1 loss for the US, but given that Ghana lost to Portugal, and with it the US advancing to the Round of 16, ESPN could breathe a sigh of relief. Call it the bandwagon. Call it the new US obsession. No matter what you called it, World Cup fever would continue in the US, and with it ESPN would continue the ratings bonanza.

The question for many was, how would the game compare to the record viewership for Sunday’s match against Portugal? That game pulled in a record 18.22 million viewers, the highest-ever for a World Cup match on ESPN. That game fell on a Sunday and in primetime on the East Coast. Thursday’s game against Germany started at noon Eastern Time. Early numbers are in, and given those variables, ESPN has to be happy.

Thursday’s US vs. Germany matched pulled a 6.3 overnight rating average. That ranked as the third highest-ever overnight for Men’s World Cup on ESPN. The game peaked with a 9.5 at 1:45-2 pm ET. According to ESPN, the top markets were New York, San Diego, Sacramento, Seattle, Orlando, Baltimore, Columbus, West Palm Beach, Providence, San Francisco, and Austin.

In terms of how the game fared via streaming media, ESPN had a blistering new record with 1.7 million concurrent viewers, eclipsing the most recent Super Bowl.

Boston-area folks, the Revs and the City are hosting another watch party at City Hall Plaza for the game vs. Belgium.

From what I saw there was a great turnout on Thursday. Jealous I couldn't go

As another part of the brief MLS interlude this weekend, the Galaxy are in town for the annual California Clasico being hosted by the Earthquakes at Stanford Stadium. Looks like there should be about 50k+ for the game. The Quakes are missing Wondo & Bernardez at the World Cup, plus Salinas is hurt. Here's hoping it's a typical high scoring game again. The score was 4-3 in 2012 and 3-2 in 2013.

Dartastic

Really frustrated with this game so far. Kansas City is fouling all over the place, some of which from my vantage point have looked VERY dangerous and the ref is just... Letting everything fly. Really frustrating game so far.

Askani

Really frustrated with this game so far. Kansas City is fouling all over the place, some of which from my vantage point have looked VERY dangerous and the ref is just... Letting everything fly. Really frustrating game so far.

We look very rough and are fouling too much. I think it's just so many starters out and players playing out of their natural positions. Ref is very uneven. Not calling things on both sides. He's going to lose control if it keeps up. That Ellis yellow should help.

NoRéN

Damn, back in 2002 USA went 1-1-1 in the group stages too.

Win in the first match.
Draw in the second.
Loss in the third.

Belgium is going down 2-0 on Tuesday.

Askani

Portland are crazy fast on offense but sometimes it looks like chaos. They just fling people forward constantly with over the top balls and little set up.

Askani

What a crazy game. Portland unlucky to not have scored. They had the lions share of chances for sure. Well, poor luck and surprisingly good defending with our back line.

Not sure if anyone here is in the market for new boardshorts but I picked these up today (and too bad I couldn't make it out to the South Bay for Bay-Gaf's meetup):

ff347fb3ee4dbc5ae8ec8190279ff93d_zps32553c30.jpg

Dartastic

I really don't know how to process that. I would like to think that normally I can watch replays and recognize my bias but... That referee was terrible. I do really think that the Adi goal was wrong, and that the referee should have been throwing more cards out. SKC was physical to the point of ridiculousness.

The goal was good, but like, I'm really getting tired of referees not calling bullshit for what it is. At a bare minimum he could have TALKED to players who got away with more bullshit. It's not cool. I was kinda amazed at the first yellow card where advantage was thrown. Like, the SKC player wrapped his arms around the Portland player and basically jumped on his back. And that was not the first time that happened.

I can appreciate World Cup referees letting the flow of play go for physical play but in MLS I really am thinking it's damaging the league.

Edit: I think the Army is getting quieter. I don't know why. I am really, really not liking that. At all.

devilhawk

Portland really sucks. KC threw 11 random guys on the field and won on the road. Listened to the Portland broadcast (live in Seattle) and they had no objections to most of the calls, including the called back goal.

Nesotenso

I really don't know how to process that. I would like to think that normally I can watch replays and recognize my bias but... That referee was terrible.

I thought Villareal was plenty good tonight. For the more harsher challenges he pulled out the cards and blew whistles for fouls when he needed to. The goal from Portland was offside. The entire crew was good and measured.

Dartastic

I thought Villareal was plenty good tonight. For the more harsher challenges he pulled out the cards and blew whistles for fouls when he needed to. The goal from Portland was offside. The entire crew was good and measured.
23 fouls. Twenty. Fucking. Three. That's absurd, and the ref should have managed the game better. Also, on the throw in that lead to the goal, it was clearly off a SKC player. The linesman totally botched that one.

Jermaine Jones may be headed to MLS once his contract with Besiktas is up.

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2014/6/27/5851778/jermaine-jones-mls-transfer-rumor
The way Galarcep (or the Goal.com editors) phrased it last night made me laugh: "Jermaine Jones could leverage a strong World Cup into a MLS move." Yes, I think at this point he might be able to find a team in MLS that wants to sign him.

How is Toronto FC at the top of allocation order? Didn't they use all three of their DP spots this last offseason?

I'll never understand that process.
Keep in mind that the allocation order is only for returning USMNT members and I think DPs (Dempsey and Bradley) typically are exempt from the process. Iirc, the league put up the cash for the Bradley transfer, then the teams bid on him and Bradley picked the TFC bid. Galarcep talks a bit about it here. It's confusing, but they do bend the rules in an effort to get the marquee players back in the league. There's a long thread on it on BigSoccer but it's not as if anyone has a succinct answer on the subject that's known to be correct. The league does what it wants in the end.

xbhaskarx

Today's old man who doesn't understand soccer:

Bill Plaschke @BillPlaschke

Shootouts might be great TV and great drama, but they are still lousy sport. If NHL can play on in Stanley Cup, why can't these guys?

Sky Sports group stage Best XI

The way Galarcep (or the Goal.com editors) phrased it last night made me laugh: "Jermaine Jones could leverage a strong World Cup into a MLS move." Yes, I think at this point he might be able to find a team in MLS that wants to sign him.

Keep in mind that the allocation order is only for returning USMNT members and I think DPs (Dempsey and Bradley) typically are exempt from the process. Iirc, the league put up the cash for the Bradley transfer, then the teams bid on him and Bradley picked the TFC bid. Galarcep talks a bit about it here. It's confusing, but they do bend the rules in an effort to get the marquee players back in the league. There's a long thread on it on BigSoccer but it's not as if anyone has a succinct answer on the subject that's known to be correct. The league does what it wants in the end.

Philly had to use its allocation spot for Maurice Edu though

Mully

One of the hosts on WFAN this morning was saying that he felt like there was too much play in the midfield and not enough scoring.

What does he want? Indoor soccer? Lol. We have a couple of those leagues and they do nothing for everyone.

I hate how people uninterested in the sport are constantly trying to Anericanize it. Just because you don't like the sport, doesn't mean it needs to change. The ratings show that Americans have an interest in soccer. The old guard in sports media need to understand that while it will never beat football, soccer is something that they need to pay attention to going forward.

One of the hosts on WFAN this morning was saying that he felt like there was too much play in the midfield and not enough scoring.

What does he want? Indoor soccer? Lol. We have a couple of those leagues and they do nothing for everyone.

I hate how people uninterested in the sport are constantly trying to Anericanize it. Just because you don't like the sport, doesn't mean it needs to change. The ratings show that Americans have an interest in soccer. The old guard in sports media need to understand that while it will never beat football, soccer is something that they need to pay attention to going forward.

MLS tried to "Americanize" the sport when it started play in 1996 and it didn't go over well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom