• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askani

Posted? I know, I know...it's The Mirror, but: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2014/its-time-stop-hating-usa-3715678

Wait, is The Mirror the bad one or the Daily Mail?

Anyway, pics at link.

We had our fun, we looked down on them, but it's time to change the record. In fact, it was time to change the record a long time ago.

The days of patronisingly laughing at USA fans while they struggle to grasp the culture of football/soccer/whatever are long, LONG over.

They're good at it, they get it, they all love it now (apart from that one right-wing columnist who said football is racist or something), so let's all just enjoy this World Cup for what it is - the last opportunity for neutrals to support the USA.

In four-years time, we'll be fully aware that the USMNT is a real, legitimate threat in the World Cup, and we'll be forced to take them out of the "loveable underdogs" basket and into the "how dare you knock Ghana out of the competition" basket.

But this year, perhaps through our own ignorance, they blindsided us, they came from nowhere. For that reason, despite being a political behemoth intent on world domination, we can support the USA as the underdogs and not feel guilty about it.

Osorio

Had a dream I was somewhere in Baltimore and the octopus who predicted the results was in some Belgian guy's beer. Some cougar proceeded to kill it with an icepick

No idea what it means.

Askani

Had a dream I was somewhere in Baltimore and the octopus who predicted the results was in some Belgian guy's beer. Some cougar proceeded to kill it with an icepick

No idea what it means.

Cougar the animal or Cougar the lady? This is important.

Esch

Banned

No idea what it means.
Baltimore sounds like Altidore. USA 2-1

FuturusX

Remember US fans - no matter what happens you can be proud of the effort. The US has been outstanding. You can believe that they will win!

Good luck!

daoster

BrdE1raIYAAPMzn.jpg:large

BrdUYvSCEAEu-Z8.jpg

I BELIEVE

World Cup: Jurgen Klinsmann's Yoda

Clydefrog

I had a dream that I somehow slept through the game so I jumped out of bed and noticed it was 2-2 in the 80th minute. I don't remember anything else in the dream though!!!

The USA starting XI: Howard, Gonzalez, Bradley, Besler, Beasley, Dempsey, Bedoya, Jones, Zusi, Cameron, Johnson

Looks like this:

#USA lineup: Howard; Johnson, Gonzalez, Besler, Beasley; Zusi, Cameron, Bradley, Jones, Bedoya; Dempsey.

Cameron at d-mid for Beckerman.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Might just be completely gassed after those three games. Cameron has fresh legs, it's just a risk since he doesn't play a lot of d-mid these days.

EDIT: ESPN says no injury to Beckerman. Coach's decision.

Makes sense, he was busy as hell in the Germany game.

So we're playing 4-3-3? This should be interesting.

xbhaskarx

Hopefully we can create enough chances... if not I hope Diskerud or Johansson get a chance.

With Beckerman on the bench, at least we now have a defensive midfielder we can bring in if we need to protect a lead.

A couple of analysts point out that Cameron is a lot more mobile and athletic than Beckerman, plus he's a bigger body to man mark Fellaini.

xbhaskarx

Belgium looks like a 4-2-3-1:

Origi
Hazard, De Bruyne, Mertens
Witsel, Fellaini
Vertonghen, Kompany, van Buyten, Alderweireld
Coutrois

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hopefully we can create enough chances... if not I hope Diskerud or Johansson get a chance.

With Beckerman on the bench, at least we now have a defensive midfielder we can bring in if we need to protect a lead.

Mix could definitely do well in a set up like this, Jozy too if he's healthy enough to come on. I imagine Klinsmann is going to be thinking about subbing Bedoya, Zusi and Cameron as the match goes on.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NoRéN;119108693 said:
Was the impression Johansson made that bad that klinnsman would rather go with Dempsey up front by himself again?

I imagine he's being saved for use as a sub, to change the tempo of the game. Or perhaps you're right.

Askani

At the KC watch party again. It's bananas here. Took 5 mins just to load the new post window, so I'm in blackout mode. Good luck and go USA! See you on the other side.

NoRéN

I imagine he's being saved for use as a sub, to change the tempo of the game. Or perhaps you're right.

Considering how much hype he was getting coming up to the world cup it was disappointing to see how he did in the Ghana game. I can't see him getting subbed on. Dempsey and Altidore and the ones I would pick to do well against Van Buyten, Kompany, and Fellaini.

"For some of the guys, it's the last opportunity, so we have to make the most of it,'' Dempsey said. "And I'm sure if we play to the best of our ability, we'll get a positive result.''

Yeah, Dempsey. So how about you play the way you played against Ghana for the entirety of this game. Do that and we are headed farther than anyone could have imagined.

NoRéN;119110127 said:
Considering how much hype he was getting coming up to the world cup it was disappointing to see how he did in the Ghana game. I can't see him getting subbed on. Dempsey and Altidore and the ones I would pick to do well against Van Buyten, Kompany, and Fellaini.

The issue is (at least it seems) is that he's more of a Klose type, a pure striker, rather than the Altidore who succeeds via his linking play. The problem, as I see it, is that Wondo and Johannson are both this striker type, which is not what we need against superior sides. We need the altidore possession and hold-up play.

I could be balls-off wrong there, but that's the way I've perceived it via my limited time watching Johannson (which is very little).

Dartastic

I'm working super hard right now. I can't watch until 7 PST. I'm going to watch the replay at my local soccer bar. Avoiding spoilers is going to be so hard. I'm so sad I can't watch. Ughnnn.

NoRéN

I'm working super hard right now. I can't watch until 7. I'm going to watch the replay at my local soccer bar. Avoiding spoilers is going to be so hard. I'm so sad I can't watch. Ughnnn.

oh man, you're going to be the guy in that Hyundai commercial.

I'm working super hard right now. I can't watch until 7 PST. I'm going to watch the replay at my local soccer bar. Avoiding spoilers is going to be so hard. I'm so sad I can't watch. Ughnnn.

I have a phone standup scrum meeting with my team at 2. It will be interesting...holding back any reactions over the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom