• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

Wondo w/ the type of chance you can only dream of and he blows it. I bet he feels awful.

Green and Yedlin were awesome though. Excited for the future if we can get more players like that.

If Clint is still in the team in four years, we're really not in a good place with our forwards.

It's still RIP to Captain America. RIP to Bald Wonder Beasley. RIP Landycakes

Tentative RIP to Timmy

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wondo w/ the type of chance you can only dream of and he blows it. I bet he feels awful.

Green and Yedlin were awesome though. Excited for the future if we can get more players like that.

We've also got Harry Shipp in MLS, who is looking very good.

Wondo must feel like utter shit right now, I can't imagine Dempsey feels a whole lot better either.

Sad but this cup really helped this sport in this country. We'll always be contenders. Around of our boys. And Belgium played a great game. Cant be too mad at them.

Can't wait for 2018 and 2022

I just keep thinking how people told us we would never leave our group.

Pre

I know Timmy just had the match of his life, but I don't know if he'll be the best option four years from now. Guzan might take over by then, but I won't count Tim out entirely.

Belgium clearly the better side. USMNT did the best they could to sneak by them. Very proud of the boys. Hope it helped grow the sport here.

They did well considering their main offensive threat goes down 15 minutes into the Cup and they were predicted by most to be 4th in their group.

Gutted and sad. Fun game. All four were honestly. Glad it didn't go to shootouts.

Weird as an Everton and Sounders fan with. Lukaku, Howard, Dempsey, Mirallas, Yedlin and Fellani out there.

Mully

I really hope Klinnsman stays. He seems like a great motivator for young players. Hopefully Howaed sticks around one more time.

woodchuck

Proud of the boys. I really really hope klinsmann stays.

Excited about copa America. I want to see Ajo, Boyd, green, agudelo. Maybe Flores will be ready and hopefully Gideon will have committed

Howards not saying, he's pretty much got a job next year commentating. He's 39.

We'll see though. Wouldn't mind seeing him for another cycle.

Edit:

He's 35? lol i'm so wrong. damn yea he's got another WC

Nesotenso

I really hope Klinnsman stays. He seems like a great motivator for young players. Hopefully Howaed sticks around one more time.

he has got a contract extension till 2018 and pretty much has the keys to the kingdom being technical director and all. Unless he really wants to get back into club football, I don't see him leaving.

It is going to be a long process but we need better talent. Hopefully each cycle builds on the next.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Considering most figured we wouldn't even get this far I think Klinnsman will stick around. We brought him on to not only work on the World Cup but to help build a team from the ground up. Today was a big disappointment, but there were also some very bright sparks that will look good four years from now.

I think Howard's done after this one, he's retiring from Everton after his contract expires--right before the next World Cup, and it's not like we don't have other options. Guzan will only be more experienced, Robles will as well. Howard really was that 1 in a million keeper though.

Mully

Considering most figured we wouldn't even get this far I think Klinnsman will stick around. We brought him on to not only work on the World Cup but to help build a team from the ground up. Today was a big disappointment, but there were also some very bright sparks that will look good four years from now.

I think Howard's done after this one, he's retiring from Everton after his contract expires--right before the next World Cup, and it's not like we don't have other options. Guzan will only be more experienced, Robles will as well. Howard really was that 1 in a million keeper though.

Robles has been solid the last two seasons.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm glad they didn't roll over and die after going down 2. Great heart.

Great ingenuity on that free kick too.

Man, that one not going in still has me salty. The execution on that was almost perfect, other than Clint not being able to put it away.

Robles has been solid the last two seasons.

Oh I know, I'm just saying he's definitely an option to take over for Howard going forward.

ZZMitch

That was the way to go out. I feel good about this World Cup, I can look back and be happy. The only thing nagging at me is that Wondo chance. Just thinking about the story if he had scored and the US had won makes me a little sad, it would have been amazing.

Grant Wahl said:
Klinsmann asked if expects to coach US in World Cup 2018. Nods. "I think so." Has contract thru then.

The only thing nagging at me is that Wondo chance. Just thinking about the story if he had scored and the US had won makes me a little sad, it would have been amazing.
Note that it was (incorrectly) called offside. He still needs to score that, but it wouldn't have counted.

Mully

Man, that one not going in still has me salty. The execution on that was almost perfect, other than Clint not being able to put it

Oh I know, I'm just saying he's definitely an option to take over for Howard going forward.

Yeah. Either of them would be a good replacement for Howard. USMNT should start playing Guzan and Robles immediately.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wondo is the definition of an AAAA player unfortunately.

Klinnsman was counting on his hot streak continuing, I can't fault him for that mentality but after everything it looks like Wondo was the one guy he brought that should have been left home.

Yeah. Either of them would be a good replacement for Howard. USMNT should start playing Guzan and Robles immediately.

Definitely, just to get them the experience on the international level. Shit, play one for the first half and the other for the second. Yeldin needs to start seeing more minutes as well. Green might need a little more time in the oven before he's ready for a start but he's gonna be great when he's ready. I do want to see some more of Mix too, he's still young and can grow a lot.

cruets

Losing to Germany 2002 and Ghana 2010 hurt way more than today. Guess the young guys we got got me excited for the next cycle. Every time yedlin touched the ball I thought something special was gonna happen

This loss doesn't really hurt that bad, honestly. I thought the team played better than expected. Squad should be good heading into 2018. I really did think we were gonna get that goal right at the end before it got Wondo'd. Oh well.

That said, I am pretty tired of Euros who keep acting like we're new to the sport and "welcoming us" like we haven't been here for decades.

Gorillaz

Losing to Germany 2002 and Ghana 2010 hurt way more than today. Guess the young guys we got got me excited for the next cycle. Every time yedlin touched the ball I thought something special was gonna happen

it's more of a "we might actually have more people in the pipeline next time" type of thing

no way we were going to make it that far with this squad tho

Nesotenso

Klinnsman was counting on his hot streak continuing, I can't fault him for that mentality but after everything it looks like Wondo was the one guy he brought that should have been left home.

Davis as well. The young guns are the future. Need better talent in midfield and upfront really

KingGondo

Banned
This loss doesn't really hurt that bad, honestly. I thought the team played better than expected. Squad should be good heading into 2018. I really did think we were gonna get that goal right at the end before it got Wondo'd. Oh well.

That said, I am pretty tired of Euros who keep acting like we're new to the sport and "welcoming us" like we haven't been here for decades.
It was tough to come so close, but yeah... We were the worse team and played like it outside of the last 13 minutes.

Still a great World Cup for the sport in America, and I'm glad JK's strategy of bringing a youthful squad seems to have paid off.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Davis as well. The young guns are the future. Need better talent in midfield and upfront really

Agreed there, bringing him over Donovan is something I still don't understand.

Guys! Don't forget Harry Shipp, I still remember what he did to my team. Dear god he tore us apart. That kid desperately needs a call-up to the big time.

Alur

Bitterly disappointed, but the disappointment was severely lessened by that Julian Green beauty at the end.

I told my wife we may be going down, but man it would be amazing to see Green get one before it's over to get us off on the right foot for the next World Cup...and there he was. Yedlin was spectacular entertainment. I can't wait to see where those two are at in four years.

I'm looking forward to everyone getting back to their clubs, though.

Sporting KC in particular are in dire need of Zusi and Besler to return. I'm heading to KC to watch them play Manchester City in a few weeks, gonna be good. I'll definitely be wearing my Zusi US popsicle jersey with pride at least one more time, anyway.

Soccer/Football is the one sport I can watch an entire game on. Any decent streams to watch american games on, or should I rely on ESPN GO?

If you have to rely on streams, should check out the MLS subreddit. They have a match thread for every game and, nine times out of ten, they'll throw a stream link or two up.

NoRéN

Man, that one not going in still has me salty. The execution on that was almost perfect, other than Clint not being able to put it away.

That pass to him seemed a bit hard and caught him off guard.

Would have been incredible if he had scored though.

It was sad to see Bradley underperform in his attacking situations this WC. He was a beast tracking back and helping defend. It seems Klinsmann placed too much faith in him in that attacking midfield role. He proved his fitness in the latter stages of the match. Overdrive on runs to help defend.

Zusi was the biggest let down for me over the tournament. I was not impressed one bit with his play. While I've never been a big fan of Dempsey, he did manage to score some beauties...so it's impossible to really complain.

ZZMitch

I am still riding a US soccer high after all these amazing games. It is sad that we arn't playing in any more but I think this World Cup has solidified soccer as my favorite sport.

On a related note I have decided I finally want to invest in a New England Revolution jersey. I have been looking for a while but I can't a good deal. They seems really expensive on the official site ($140 last I checked), which is more than I would usually pay for jerseys.

Does anyone know where I could get a better deal?

I am still riding a US soccer high after all these amazing games. It is sad that we arn't playing in any more but I think this World Cup has solidified soccer as my favorite sport.

On a related note I have decided I finally want to invest in a New England Revolution jersey. I have been looking for a while but I can't a good deal. They seems really expensive on the official site ($140 last I checked), which is more than I would usually pay for jerseys.

World Soccer Shop should have them cheaper.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You might be looking at the higher end jerseys, there should be some cheaper ones available.

EDIT: Wow, nevermind. NE is ripping you guys off, I got my Red Bulls jersey a hell of a lot cheaper.

Blanks are $85, it looks like. Might be cheaper at the Pro Shop at Gillette. I could check next home game for you if you don't make it out

ZZMitch

Chris Wondolowski ‏@ChrisWondo 5m
I'm gutted to have let down everyone but especially my teammates. It's been an incredible ride but I know this will make me stronger.

Poor Wondo :( I dunno what I would do if that had been me. I would probably go mad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom