• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZMitch

Blanks are $85, it looks like. Might be cheaper at the Pro Shop at Gillette. I could check next home game for you if you don't make it out

Haha I wish I could head out to Gillette but I live in Maine so it is just a bit out of the way for me :p I only ever really get to see the Revs play live when they come to Toronto (I go to school there). I will check out the blanks tho as you said.

Thanks for all the info tho guys! Ill keep looking.

Haha I wish I could head out to Gillette but I live in Maine so it is just a bit out of the way for me :p I only ever really get to see the Revs play live when they come to Toronto (I go to school there). I will check out the blanks tho as you said.

Thanks for all the info tho guys! Ill keep looking.

I was planning on going up to Toronto when the Revs play on Labor Day weekend, but my friends bailed >.>

I think under new rules, it's the winner of the last Gold Cup and the upcoming Gold Cup play in a playoff to reach the Confed cup.

...which we won.

If we win 2015 then we're automatically through since we already won 2013.

You might be looking at the higher end jerseys, there should be some cheaper ones available.

EDIT: Wow, nevermind. NE is ripping you guys off, I got my Red Bulls jersey a hell of a lot cheaper.

Yeah, World Soccer Shop has personalized replicas for $105.

I still have to get a Red Bulls one. Henry or Cahill is what keeps me from pulling the trigger.

Pre

Holy shit, the Gold Cup is in like a year

Win it and guaranteed to the Confederations Cup

Yes, and I keep hearing these rumors about the U.S. either hosting Copa America or getting a guest invite to the tournament again if it is held elsewhere. Was any of this ever confirmed?

daoster

I was planning on going up to Toronto when the Revs play on Labor Day weekend, but my friends bailed >.>

...which we won.

If we win 2015 then we're automatically through since we already won 2013.

Oh Snap, I thought second place team plays. Then Gold Cup should be exciting. A lot of young guys coming through.

Julian Green man...THAT GOAL.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yes, and I keep hearing these rumors about the U.S. either hosting Copa America or getting a guest invite to the tournament again if it is held elsewhere. Was any of this ever confirmed?

The US hosting the Copa America Centennial was already confirmed. It'll include the standard set of South American teams along with 6 CONCACAF teams. Two of which are the US and Mexico.

After that goal Cahill had at the Cup I think you know the answer.

Yup, I was thinking that as well.

I do have a question about the home jersey, if that's what you have. Can you see through it? I'm not a big fan of white jerseys because of that. However, watching the game last Friday, it looks like they're pretty solid.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yup, I was thinking that as well.

I do have a question about the home jersey, if that's what you have. Can you see through it? I'm not a big fan of white jerseys because of that. However, watching the game last Friday, it looks like they're pretty solid.

I've got the away Jersey, but I did see the home one at the shop at Red Bull Arena and I'm pretty sure it's solid. If you're worried go with the away Jersey, it looks great.

To think 2 of our 5 goals this world cup were scored by Julian Green/John Brooks.

WUT

Man, the next Gold Cup is going to be crazy. Shit, Copa America 2016 is going to be crazy.

I've got the away Jersey, but I did see the home one at the shop at Red Bull Arena and I'm pretty sure it's solid. If you're worried go with the away Jersey, it looks great.

I'm on the fence about that one. I like it but I don't know if I like it more than the home one.

Decisions, decisions.

EDIT:

@JamesTylerESPN

Official @FIFAcom stat sheet shows zero offsides for #USA vs. #BEL. Wondolowski wasn't flagged. http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/round=255951/match=300186497/statistics.html#nosticky

Damn.

Alur

Zusi was the biggest let down for me over the tournament. I was not impressed one bit with his play. While I've never been a big fan of Dempsey, he did manage to score some beauties...so it's impossible to really complain.

At the risk of homerism, I have to disagree.

Game one against Ghana he played well in the few minutes he was on the pitch and ultimately delivered that beauty to John Anthony Brooks. Everyone remembers the greatest American since Abraham Lincoln JAB, but not much talk about the corner itself.

Game two against Portugal it was his swapping wings with Bedoya that ended up finally getting Nani in check. Prior to that shift by Klinsmann it was all Nani all the time and would've resulted in more damage than the 1-0 hole we were already in. If you go back and watch the tape you'll see it. Plus he again assisted on the Dempsey chester.

He didn't have much impact vs Germany and didn't play well at all today, but to say he was a let down is a bit farcical IMO. Plenty of others to point fingers at besides Zusi if we wanna talk disappointments (Bedoya and Bradley are the first to spring to mind). If anything he should be one getting credit for showing up and the media coverage of him and Besler has reflected that, IMO.

Nesotenso

Holy shit, the Gold Cup is in like a year

Win it and guaranteed to the Confederations Cup

U20 World cup and gold cup - 2015
olympics and the copa america thing, wc qualifying -2016
confederations and gold cup-2017
wc in Russia- 2018

pretty good road map to insert newer talent in the tournaments next cycle.

daoster

Okay, I'm home from work, and now, I've had a little time to think, and I guess I don't hate life that much.

- Who would have thought that the two players who didn't play for us were Chandler and Mix? When the initial 30 man roster was announced, a lot of people were thinking that Chandler was in contention with Beasley for left back. And Mix always seemed to be a difference maker sub.

- Who would have thought that this was not only the first World Cup ever that a US sub would score, but TWO U.S. Subs would score for us. And not only that, two subs who has never even played a competitive game for us (and one who JUST declared for us this year).

- DaMarcus Beasley man. I swear to GOD. How does he do it? 4 World Cups, and he can still step on that gas. I mean, he can't run as fast as he did in 2002, but man...he is still freaking fast. The most underrated "veteran" by far.

- Bradley was disappointing to me. I know everybody will bring up that whole distance covered thing, but quality over quantity, and offensively...he just wasn't clicking this World Cup. Maybe he was over thinking things, but I hope this disappointment fuels him for 2018.

- Jones....would things have been different if Jones was healthy for 2010? Can't help but think.

- Man....I can't wait for the Gold Cup now...Yedlin, Brooks, Green, Mix, Chandler, Fabian Johnson, hopefully Zedion......I mean...as long as Mexico isn't in our group in the stages, is there any reason why we shouldn't just waltz our way to the final? And the olympics?? Gaddamn, I'm excited.

- The Belgium game man....I wish we played like we did first half. I mean we didn't dominate possession in the first half, but we at least had DECENT possession, and it was more back and forth. Second half was not fun to watch at ALL.

- MLS guys should hold their heads up high and proud, after their performance against the world's best. Hope the world is watching.

- When do 2018 qualifiers begin? I'm sure the Russia World Cup will be cool and all, but..I dunno, it's hard to see it being as fun and festive as this World Cup.

Nesotenso

Bitterly disappointed, but the disappointment was severely lessened by that Julian Green beauty at the end.

I told my wife we may be going down, but man it would be amazing to see Green get one before it's over to get us off on the right foot for the next World Cup...and there he was. Yedlin was spectacular entertainment. I can't wait to see where those two are at in four years.

I'm looking forward to everyone getting back to their clubs, though.

Sporting KC in particular are in dire need of Zusi and Besler to return. I'm heading to KC to watch them play Manchester City in a few weeks, gonna be good. I'll definitely be wearing my Zusi US popsicle jersey with pride at least one more time, anyway.

yeah I think Besler is gonna get offers from Europe soon.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I am not Wondo's biggest fan but I hate to blame it on one guy or one play.

You're right, we should have made more chances. We need to work on possession, but Wondo still should have buried that one. Everyone else could have done better, but that was the sort of goal that separates the legends from everyone else.

Nesotenso

Yedlin too, most likely.

I am ok if he decides to stay. He will always have his physical gifts. Two more years on the Sounders wouldn't hurt him and a monster showing in the Olympics (if we qualify) can only help him. Besler has to take his shot now because he is 27.

Nesotenso

I can only imagine the thoughts going through his head.

I watched it twice, and watching his expression made me really depressed. He knows it. I know it. Klinnsman knows it.

That was a moment made for Donovan.

Donovan is done. Within a year or two you are going to see a testimonial match for him. Klinsmann made mostly right calls with his roster. Let's just stop talking about Landon and 2014. Great player for the national team. But time to look forward.

I hope Landon snub is not going to be a talking point in the days going forward.

Still gutted but the team blew my expectations out of the water. Very much looking forward to the future though.

There needs to be a shrine of Tim Howard outside every MLS stadium.

Who decided to celebrate 100 years of South American football by having their biggest tournament outside of South America? Not that I'm complaining

Alur

yeah I think Besler is gonna get offers from Europe soon.

Yedlin too, most likely.

Yeah I can definitely see both of those happening. I'd prefer Yedlin give it another year or two, though. I think if he went over now we'd have yet another flameout.

I wonder if Jermaine Jones will end up in MLS or if he impressed enough to remain in Europe? Personally I liked that Jermaine Jones to SKC rumor...if anyone fits that style of play, it's him.

cafemomo

Howard is the GOAT of this year's world cup

had a co-worked who cried when Belgium won :(

Oh well, let's see what 2018 has in store

- NY Times Infographics: Record-Setting Effort by Howard, but Belgium Ousts U.S.
E9ltAkY.jpg

daegan

It still hasn't totally set in for me that we're out.

Probably won't for a couple of days.

And I love watching us whenever we play but going out of the WC is always the hardest; it's even harder because no team is really playing in a dominant "oh they're going to end up in the final" way.

:/

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Watching Fox Sports Live right now and it just struck me, we're going to have to deal with Eric Wynalda in 4 years. Gods save us.

NoRéN

I watched it twice, and watching his expression made me really depressed. He knows it. I know it. Klinnsman knows it.

My thoughts exactly.

I know people will want to skip the Landon talk but, fuck that. Had the US won this game and kept going you know there would be so much talk about how Donovan wasn't needed, etc.

The fact of the matter is, Wondolowski made the roster over Donovan. Wondolowski could have killed this match in the 2nd of 3 minutes of stoppage time. The celebrations alone would have pretty much ended the match. Is Wondolowski the one to blame for losing the match? Absolutely not. But, he could have won it.

daegan

Watching Fox Sports Live right now and it just struck me, we're going to have to deal with Eric Wynalda in 4 years. Gods save us.

Four years is a long time for him to not do or say something so moronic and offensive that they fire him. We can hope.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Gonna remember wondo as the guy that didn't bury it at point blank range...

That was the sort of moment that defines a career. Make it and you are legend, miss and you're the guy that blew it. Wondo deserves more than that, but that's how it is sometimes.

Yeah I can definitely see both of those happening. I'd prefer Yedlin give it another year or two, though. I think if he went over now we'd have yet another flameout.

I wonder if Jermaine Jones will end up in MLS or if he impressed enough to remain in Europe? Personally I liked that Jermaine Jones to SKC rumor...if anyone fits that style of play, it's him.

Wasn't there also a rumor that Toronto was looking at him? I could only imagine how they'd dominate with that line up.

It sucks, but yea. That's exactly the sort of moment he seems to exist for.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He just gave them team a C- for their overall WC. Alexi Lalas is more coherent than him. That's a feat in itself.

A C-? What a dumbass, are we really going to have to deal with this shit in four years?

I better start learning Spanish while I have the chance

NoRéN

A C-? What a dumbass, are we really going to have to deal with this shit in four years?

I better start learning Spanish while I have the chance

I'm surprised more of you don't just watch the games in spanish. their commentators always sound excited to watch these games unfold. And, a few years back, once they realized USA wasn't a team to take lightly, they started counting us as "one of our own". So, they actually root for USA now, as long as it's against opposition from outside CONCACAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom