• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Farm-to-Table: How each MLS side uses the Homegrown tag

I went on a relatively exhaustive journey through all 19 MLS side’s Homegrown histories to extrapolate the nutrient rich developmental soil each side’s been tilling – or not, based on past practices. You’ll notice, for instance, that no team’s had more Homegrown players play more minutes than D.C. United. And San Jose’s number is just a shade behind. Just a shade.

San Jose Earthquakes
Homegrowns (1): Tommy Thompson
Total minutes: 1
Notes: Before we jump on San Jose for failing to do much of anything in the developmental realm, give them props for locking up Thompson, one of the most exciting young players in America. They at least had the foresight to do that. Now, though, begins the brass tacks. Thompson was shipped off to Sacramento while the thin San Jose midfield begs for creativity, and his one minute of first team action hardly constitutes a shot. The Quakes’ academy is hardly a train wreck, and talent will continue to funnel through the Bay Area, but at least in terms of minutes served, San Jose is the worst in MLS when it comes to holistic farm-to-table development. The Quakes have to be better from the ground up.

KingJolly

Banned
Seeing the new FIfa ranking. It's Funny how Russia are not even in the top 10 when they are number one at Beach Soccer and Number 4 at Futsal

xbhaskarx

31,237 at Miller Park in Milwaukee for a midweek friendly, Swansea vs Chivas Guadalajara
PckBTcp.jpg

highlights

xbhaskarx

That's embarrassing for SJ. I'm mystified as to why they won't let TT play with the full team. He scored yesterday for the US U20's, too.

U.S. U-20 MNT Cruises to 4-0 Victory Over Bermuda in Second Match at NTC Invitational

USA – Andrija Novakovich (Caleb Smith) 27th minute
USA – Zach Pfeffer (penalty) 39
USA – Tommy Thompson 45
USA – Own goal 85

Lineups:
USA: 1-Zach Steffen; 13-Chris Odoi-Atsem, 4-Conor Donovan (5-Michael Amick, 46), 17-Jesus Vasquez, 20-Caleb Smith; 24-Tommy Thompson (9-Benji Lopez, 64), 14-Jacori Hayes, 15-Marco Delgado (capt.) (6-Russell Canouse, 64), 11-Zach Pfeffer (2-John Requejo Jr., 73); 10-Romain Gall (16-Fernando Arce, 64), 19-Andrija Novakovich (8-Lynden Gooch, 79)
Subs Not Used: 3-Shaquell Moore, 7-Paul Arriola, 12-Santiago Castano
Head Coach: Tab Ramos

The U.S. outshot Bermuda 26-2, including 12 shots on goal, and took 13 corners compared to just three for Bermuda.

Good to see the YNTs coming back to beat a quality team like Chile and then totally dominating a weaker team like Bermuda...

xbhaskarx

2014 Copa Centroamericano schedule:

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 – RFK Stadium, Washington D.C.
5:00pm Costa Rica vs. Nicaragua
7:00pm Honduras vs. Belize
9:00pm El Salvador vs. Guatemala

Sunday, September 7, 2014 – Cotton Bowl, Dallas, TX
5:00pm Costa Rica vs. Panama
7:00pm Guatemala vs. Belize
9:00pm Honduras vs. El Salvador

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 – BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston, TX
6:00pm Panama vs. Nicaragua
8:00pm El Salvador vs. Belize
10:00pm Honduras vs. Guatemala

Saturday, September 13, 2014 – Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles, CA
4:00pm Third Place Group A vs. Third Place Group B
7:00pm Second Place Group A vs. Second Place Group B
10:00pm First Place Group A vs. First Place Group B

xbhaskarx

FC Bayern launches USA website

Munich/New York, Thursday 17 July 2014: FC Bayern today launches a dedicated North American version of the official club website at www.fcbayernmunich.com. Along with all the standard features of the FCB online platforms including FCB.tv, USA-based fans of Germany’s most successful club will be provided with custom content tailored to their specific requirements.

FC Bayern Munich board director for internationalisation and strategy Jörg Wacker commented: “Following the launch of our official US online shop this is another major component of our north American strategy. The 60 million soccer fans in the USA can now follow the news and action at our club even more closely.”

From now on USA-based users will be automatically directed to the new website using geotargeting. The new site is compatible with all mobile devices. A dedicated US infrastructure ensures significantly reduced page build and load times for North American fans.

FC Bayern opened its first overseas subsidiary, New York-based FC Bayern Muenchen LLC, on 1 April 2014. The objective is to strengthen the positioning of the FC Bayern Munich brand in North America.

In support of this objective the FC Bayern Munich first team will play two matches in the USA this summer, in New York against Chivas de Guadalajara and the MLS All-Star Game in Portland, on the Audi Summer Tour USA 2014.

Osorio

Between Chivas USA and NYCFC and RBNY I'm done with our league having B squads for other teams.

Let's not forget this project

Crystal%20Palace%20Baltimore.jpg

Meier

USL Pro has really upped the quality of game streams over the past few years. Looked perfect on my iPad and the broadcast itself was well done. 0-0 draw between Orlando City and Sacramento. Orlando undefeated after 18 games.

xbhaskarx

The USA U-20 team can help fill that World Cup-size hole in your heart

u20-mnt-starting-ix.jpg

Are you suffering from World Cup withdrawals? Do you find yourself chanting USA USA USA under your breath at work? Do you book two hour meetings that aren’t real on your work calendar in hopes that it might coax the World Cup to start again? Have you walked by a bar longingly on Saturday morning, wishing you weren’t outside in the sun and instead surrounded by sweaty Americans, all covered in beer? Me too. It’s hard. I feel it too. Unfortunately nothing can actually replace the World Cup. Not even vodka (trust me). Instead, let’s look at some other solutions to attempt to fill that World Cup-sized hole (at least temporarily). Tomorrow, 7/18 (or today if you are out in the East) the USMNT U-20 team takes on the Australia U-20 team for the championship of the NTC Invitational. With the goal differential situation, the USA can win the event with a draw or victory against Australia. This tournament, held at the StubHub Center, has seen the US take on both Bermuda and Chile so far. The best part is this game is being streamed, Friday night at 7 PM PST on http://www.ussoccer.com/. Throw your US jersey on and put that withdrawal to rest for the evening.

Meier

I have never seen a USL pro game. NASL I've seen quite a few times, but I rarely hear from USL. Or maybe, I'm just not looking into the right places
USL Pro is technically the level below NASL although it is completely arbitrary. It's growing at a much higher rate than NASL and is generally better attended. MLS teams have affiliate deals with the the league and loan players to it -- a few have instituted B teams that play in the league directly. Sacramento Republic is a new team and they're crushing it in attendance in their first season. They've had over 20k a game for all but one home game which got over 17k. Amazing stuff.

Orlando City has been the best performing and attended team in USL Pro for a few years now and will be in MLS next year.

The fourth tier is USL Premier Development League which is an amateur division and made up of a lot of college kids and the like. Orlando City has a U-23 team who plays in USL PDL.

gutshot

good for them for keeping them but I think Besler could have used the experience playing abroad for the sake of the USMNT.

Eh. I don't have a problem with him staying. He's 27, so I don't see his game growing too much more at this point. He is what he is, a solid central defender. He's not someone brimming with talent who could take his game to the next level if he moved to a better league. Now Yedlin on the other hand..

USL Pro has really upped the quality of game streams over the past few years. Looked perfect on my iPad and the broadcast itself was well done. 0-0 draw between Orlando City and Sacramento. Orlando undefeated after 18 games.

I'm really hopeful Orlando City comes out and starts competing day one.

- Greg Seltzer on Yedlin developments:
I have been informed that the AS Roma chase for DeAndre Yedlin is now over. I will have some details on the why and a fresh picture of the scene around him a little later. For now, I will simply pass on that Roma did manage to agree a fee with MLS/Seattle and then the move fell apart, and that Napoli are indeed involved (which also means they are planning or trying to move a non-EU player out).

As for the reports of Bayern Munich interest: While I cannot 100% raise an offside flag, from what I am told it seems quite unlikely.

Then again, you really never know what will go down next. Just ask Roma.

KingGondo

Banned
OKC Energy FC ran their unbeaten streak to 8 with a home draw last night.

Currently sitting 7th out of 14 teams. Not bad for an expansion team, especially after some early-season struggles.

The city seems to be embracing the team, too. They're playing at a small HS stadium this year, but they're moving to the renovated Taft Stadium next season:

http://www.energyfc.com/index.cfm?f...rticleID=17E0637B-1EFE-E311-A64C-000C296FBAA9

Stadium is withing walking distance from my house too. Should be a lot of fun.

Cornballer said:
- Greg Seltzer on Yedlin developments:
Hopefully Liverpool sign him.

Osorio

OKC Energy FC ran their unbeaten streak to 8 with a home draw last night.

Currently sitting 7th out of 14 teams. Not bad for an expansion team, especially after some early-season struggles.

The city seems to be embracing the team, too. They're playing at a small HS stadium this year, but they're moving to the renovated Taft Stadium next season:

http://www.energyfc.com/index.cfm?f...rticleID=17E0637B-1EFE-E311-A64C-000C296FBAA9

Stadium is withing walking distance from my house too. Should be a lot of fun.

Hopefully Liverpool sign him.

Isn't there another OKC team starting in NASL next season?

Askani

Thank God reason has prevailed. Such a horrible call.

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2014...ously-upholds-appeal-aurelien-collin-red-card

Major League Soccer announced on Friday that an Independent Review Panel has unanimously upheld the appeal of Aurelien Collin's red card, received in Sporting Kansas City's 2-1 victory over the Columbus Crew on Wednesday. Collin's suspension and fine have been rescinded and the two-time MLS All-Star will be available for Saturday's match against the LA Galaxy.

Collin was sent off in the 55th minute of Wednesday's win by referee Edvin Jurisevic -- who also ejected Collin on his MLS debut in 2011, a decision that was later deemed mistaken identity and overturned -- after an aerial collision with Adam Bedell. The Independent Review Panel consists of one representative each from the United States Soccer Federation, the Canadian Soccer Association and the Professional Referees Organization (PRO).

KingGondo

Banned
Isn't there another OKC team starting in NASL next season?
No. The former owner of the NASL squad became co-owner of the Energy.

Tulsa is getting a USL team next season as well: Roughnecks FC.

Things could potentially get interesting as I'm sure both teams will be angling to get an MLS bid, and I can't imagine Oklahoma getting more than one as a state.

Osorio

No. The former owner of the NASL squad became co-owner of the Energy.

Tulsa is getting a USL team next season as well: Roughnecks FC.

Things could potentially get interesting as I'm sure both teams will be angling to get an MLS bid, and I can't imagine Oklahoma getting more than one as a state.

If either one got an MLS team, would the other city support that team? It seems that both cities aren't too far away from each other.

Osorio

NYCFC has bus ads depicting that photo superimposing a field onto the five boroughs with the tag line "this is your city, this is your club"

This photo was a fan-made response.

10566609_10152286020237424_2109894258_n.jpg

It's nice that Red Bull not only retweeted but pinned this photo on their official twitter account. They hardly ever show any sign of the club's history prior to the takeover.

xbhaskarx

Brooklyn soccer whiz, 14, moves to Spain for competitive youth academy, coach says he can play in World Cup

Noah Leeds and his family will soon leave their Park Slope home for Seville, Spain. The 14-year-old soccer player expects to participate in Sevilla Futbol Club’s youth academy, where he will play with some of the world’s premiere soccer prospects.

The move to a rental in Sevilla in about three months will end the family’s seemingly endless search for more elite competition to keep Noah improving. When he was 10, Noah was chosen as the youngest player ever taken by the New York Red Bulls. Their youngest age group starts at 13. Noah played with the team for a year and a half, dedicating hours a day to practice and games, all while attending St. Benedict School in Holmdel, N.J.

“It was trying on all of us, financially and emotionally. So we made a choice,” the mom said.

International Federation of Football Association rules require that boys between 12 and 16 live in the region they play for, so Noah isn’t yet officially on the squad. But his dad is confident.

“They really liked him. If we move to the region, they already know who he is. He’s definitely on the top of the food chain there,” he said.

video of this kid from a few years ago

What a terrible headline from the NY Daily News...

Brooklyn soccer whiz, 14, moves to Spain for competitive youth academy, coach says he can play in World Cup

Noah Leeds and his family will soon leave their Park Slope home for Seville, Spain. The 14-year-old soccer player expects to participate in Sevilla Futbol Club’s youth academy, where he will play with some of the world’s premiere soccer prospects.

video of this kid from a few years ago

What a terrible headline from the NY Daily News...

This sort of thing has always seemed kind of crazy to me, and as a parent now, I really think it seems even more crazy. I just don't see any way that I would uproot the whole family, find new jobs/schools/whatever in the hope that my kid actually gets somewhere with the club long term. I can't tell if that makes me an awful parent or not, but seriously, I just can't see it actually happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom