• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

This sort of thing has always seemed kind of crazy to me, and as a parent now, I really think it seems even more crazy. I just don't see any way that I would uproot the whole family, find new jobs/schools/whatever in the hope that my kid actually gets somewhere with the club long term. I can't tell if that makes me an awful parent or not, but seriously, I just can't see it actually happening.

It is kind of crazy, but it's the only way you can legally have a player from the US train at any of these clubs at a young age. If the parents think he's good enough to have it be his livelihood, then it's probably worth giving it a shot. His earnings potential would far outpace theirs most likely.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Eh. I don't have a problem with him staying. He's 27, so I don't see his game growing too much more at this point. He is what he is, a solid central defender. He's not someone brimming with talent who could take his game to the next level if he moved to a better league. Now Yedlin on the other hand..

Cameron went to Stoke at that age and elevated his game. I don't see went Besler couldn't do the same thing.

xbhaskarx

NY Cosmos attendance

After debuting with the best attendance in the league, the Cosmos now sit fifth out of ten teams, just barely eking out rivals Tampa Bay Rowdies for that distinction.

As expected, Indy Eleven lead all clubs with an average 10,465 fans in five games. The MLS-hopeful San Antonio Scorpions are second at 6,476. Spring Champion Minnesota United comes in third with 5,577 and Carolina is next with 5,364.

Then there is the Cosmos, with an average attendance of 5,041. Tampa Bay sit behind them at 4,998.

Dartastic

I've got a free Destiny PS4 US beta code as well. PM me.

...I won't be able to respond soon though, because I'm going to be biking over to the match any minute now. This is basically a must win game IMO. We're at home, the goals we dropped in the last game against the Rapids were stupid, and hopefully our new CB is starting. Colorado is 4th in the standings, and we need to make sure they drop points where we pick them up. I want to be at a game we win at finally ffs.

Fox318

No need, they can just use Richmond County Ballpark!

SI%20Yankees%20field.jpg

Dat view.

Its such a shame that sightlines in a baseball stadium never match a soccer stadium.

Hell they are going to build a giant ferris wheel there.

Meier

Wow. Thompson had to score there.

Thompson does look like a very good playmaker.. really creating here. Lynden Gooch has been so close from distance -- woodwork 3 times.

Nesotenso

well the team won the tournament on GD. Team needs to play better through them midfield building passes. still don't know if Ramos is the man for the job.

Dartastic

Pretty stellar goal there.
That Valeri goal was a fucking GOLAZO AND A HALF.

Super glad we got a win at home, finally. Mostly, I'm glad to have Ridgewell in the lineup. For those of you who aren't particularly familiar with our struggles, our defense has been utter, utter shit. Like, complete and utter shit. This is the first game Ridgewell was on the pitch, and I was sitting basically right behind the goal in the TA so I had a good look at how the defense was looking. The ENTIRE FUCKING GAME Ridgewell was leading. CONSTANTLY pushing the line, pointing out attackers to mark, etc. SO glad to have someone solid in the back 4. We need that SO bad. If he can pull that line together, we still have a shot at the playoffs.

Dartastic

It's in the last 10 or so seconds of this match recap video. Man, that build up to the first goal was some 2013 Timbers shit. Fuuuuuuuck, please keep that uppppppppp.

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...imbers-vs-colorado-rapids/details/video/20767

I have to post Valeri's absolute GOLAZO though, because it's just too good.

HE WAS OUTSIDE THE POST AND BENT IT INTO THE SIDE NETTING. FUCKKKKKK

...the long closeup on Porter's face makes it even better, hah.

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...imbers-vs-colorado-rapids/details/video/20779

Clydefrog

It's in the last 10 or so seconds of this match recap video. Man, that build up to the first goal was some 2013 Timbers shit. Fuuuuuuuck, please keep that uppppppppp.

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...imbers-vs-colorado-rapids/details/video/20767

I have to post Valeri's absolute GOLAZO though, because it's just too good.

HE WAS OUTSIDE THE POST AND BENT IT INTO THE SIDE NETTING. FUCKKKKKK

...the long closeup on Porter's face makes it even better, hah.

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...imbers-vs-colorado-rapids/details/video/20779

didnt see it in either links.

the valeri goal was very nice though.

ZZMitch

Zelalem is in the starting XI today for Arsenal in a pre-season game.

edit: can watch the game on Arsenal.com if you create a free account with them

Osorio

Ferry to buses. It'd be tough in that specific area, mainly since you'd have to cross the entire island to get there. However, that's where a lot of the open areas are.

At that point RBA is much more accessible. Although, that team could probably average 18,000 between South Brooklyn, SI, the shore, and Central Jersey up to Bayonne.

But you can apply that logic to pretty much any part of the five boroughs.

Dartastic

didnt see it in either links.

the valeri goal was very nice though.

I haven't seen a gif but it was right after the game ended. He just went nuts. You could tell internally he was like RAAAAHHHH!!
Ah. I was at the game, so I THOUGHT it must have been that last little bit in the match recap. Either way, really glad to get another win at home. After the field had mostly cleared and people were finally moving out, Porter came back on the field stood in front of the Army, held up his Timbers Army scarf and clapped for us. Man, I love that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom