• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

I have to imagine there will be a pretty significant increase. I really hope there isn't a strike.

The negotiations will be interesting for sure. The biggest money losers were RBNY, San Jose, and Chivas if I can remember and SJ's revenues should go up with the new stadium. Chivas should go up after they rebrand, unless the rebrand is a total botch job. RBNY just doesn't give a fuck because they'd probably make money if they had a jersey sponsor and a stadium naming deal but they'd rather take the loss to sell more energy drinks.

Everyone else is profiting or close to it at a 3 million dollar salary cap. Do we go up to 4.5 with a gradual increase, or just say fuck it and double it because of the new TV deal?

The negotiations will be interesting for sure. The biggest money losers were RBNY, San Jose, and Chivas if I can remember and SJ's revenues should go up with the new stadium. Chivas should go up after they rebrand, unless the rebrand is a total botch job. RBNY just doesn't give a fuck because they'd probably make money if they had a jersey sponsor and a stadium naming deal but they'd rather take the loss to sell more energy drinks.

Everyone else is profiting or close to it at a 3 million dollar salary cap. Do we go up to 4.5 with a gradual increase, or just say fuck it and double it because of the new TV deal?
Are there more recent profit estimates than the 2013 Forbes article? It's based on 2012 numbers, btw. In any case, things are trending better and in between that the World Cup success and the new tv/sponsorship deals, I have to imagine the players association will push hard for significant gains.

Askani

Training Center announcement?
Sam McDowell ‏@SamMcDowell11 14m
#SportingKC says there will be "a major announcement" tomorrow that includes Robb Heineman, KS Governor Sam Brownback and Wyandotte County.​

Apparently it was a meeting topic for the county the other day.

EDIT :::::

Buried in here: http://t.co/1H8co1Z3gP

oHUWIKG.png

EDIT 2 :::::

No mention of a museum, which I was hoping would be a tag along. Maybe in the future.

EDIT 3 :::::

Upper middle of this shitty map:

b4nN01a.jpg

EDIT 4 :::::

It's here, north of the water park. Across the highway from Sporting Park.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1259461,-94.8030788,16z

xbhaskarx

The main thing they'll push for is increased free agency rights, last time (2010) they got the re-entry draft but they want something closer to the other US leagues...

I'll predict right now that even with a substantial bump in the salary cap most fans will complain that it's not enough. Which is ridiculous because the player pool isn't going to change overnight, and doubling Robbie Findley's salary isn't going to magically turn him into Defoe...

xbhaskarx

Williams names separate U-17 USMNT rosters for upcoming tournaments

Williams named two separate rosters for a pair of upcoming international competitions on Tuesday afternoon, summoning 18 players for the Open Nordic Tournament in Denmark and selecting a 20-man squad for the Copa Mexico de Naciones that starts in Mexico City.

The tournaments overlap, but four players were chosen to represent the U.S. in both of them: goalkeeper William Pulisic, defender Edwin Lara and forwards McKinze Gaines and Elijah Rice.

Open Nordic Tournament:

Goalkeepers (2): Eric Lopez (LA Galaxy Academy; Westminster, Calif.), William Pulisic (Richmond Strikers; Mechanicsville, Va.)

Defenders (6): Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls Academy; Wappingers Falls, N.Y.), Nikkye DePoint (Revolution Empire; Rochester, N.Y.), Edwin Lara (Juventus; San Leandro, Calif.), AJ Palazzolo (St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri; O’Fallon, Mo.), Logan Panchot (St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri; St. Louis, Mo.), Miles Stray (Real Salt Lake AZ; Point Reyes, Calif.)

Midfielders (6): George Braima (Crew Soccer Academy; Columbus, Ohio), Jonathan Gonzalez (Monterrey; Santa Rosa, Calif.), Kyle Gurrieri (NJCSA; Totowa, N.J.), Keegan Kelly (Baltimore Celtic; Baltimore, Md.), Weston McKennie (FC Dallas Academy; Little Elm, Texas), Brian Zelaya (De Anza Force; San Mateo, Calif.)

Forwards (4): McKinze Gaines (Lonestar SC; Austin, Texas), Kai Koreniuk (Vitesse; Ormond Beach, Fla.), Eric Matzelevich (Bethesda-Olney; Washington, D.C.), Elijah Rice (Chicago Magic PSG; Highland Park, Ill.)

Copa Mexico de Naciones:

Goalkeepers (2): William Pulisic (Richmond Strikers; Mechanicsville, Va.), Kevin Silva (PDA; Bethlehem, Pa.)

Defenders (7): Hugo Arellano (Chivas USA Academy; Norwalk, Calif.), Daniel Barbir (West Bromwich Albion; Allentown, Pa.), Tanner Dieterich (Unattached; Nashville, Tenn.), Edwin Lara (Juventus; San Leandro, Calif.), John Nelson (Internationals; Medina, Ohio), Matthew Olosunde (New York Red Bulls Academy; Trenton, N.J.), Alexis Velela (San Diego Surf; San Diego, Calif.)

Midfielders (5): Eric Calvillo (Real So Cal; Palmdale, Calif.), Luca de la Torre (Fulham; San Diego, Calif.), Thomas McCabe (PDA; South Orange, N.J.), Christian Pulisic (PA Classics; Hershey, Pa.), Alejandro Zendejas (FC Dallas Academy; El Paso, Texas)

Forwards (6): Pierre Da Silva (New York Soccer Club; Port Chester, N.Y.), McKinze Gaines (Lonestar SC; Austin, Texas), Joe Gallardo (Monterrey FC; San Diego, Calif.), Josh Perez (Unattached; La Habra, Calif.), Elijah Rice (Chicago Magic PSG; Highland Park, Ill.), Haji Wright (Unattached; Los Angeles, Calif.)

xbhaskarx

Looks like there are multiple ownership groups in Vegas, just like Minnesota...

Businessman vows $350 million push for Major League Soccer team

A gaming industry entrepreneur from New York City said he is going to launch a $350 million effort to bring a Major League Soccer team to Las Vegas, complete with a new covered stadium of 18,000-20,000 seats and players with international appeal.

Jason Ader, who owns a Manhattan fund management company and is a director and shareholder of the Las Vegas Sands Corp., said Tuesday he wants to work with the city of Las Vegas to bring big-time professional soccer to Las Vegas.

Ader said he has discussed the viability of the Las Vegas market hosting an MLS team with MLS President and Deputy Commissioner Mark Abbott.

MLS spokesman Dan Courtemanche said Abbott has met with multiple parties that are interested in bringing an MLS team to the Las Vegas market. Las Vegas is competing against Sacramento, Calif.; San Diego; San Antonio; Austin, Texas; and Minneapolis for the final expansion team slot. MLS wants to have 24 teams by 2020.

By announcing his interest in starting a team in Las Vegas, Ader is now competing against the Findlay Sports & Entertainment Group, which was formed specifically to partner with development company Cordish Cos. The City Council several months ago green-lighted the Findlay-Cordish partnership to come up with an MLS team and stadium proposal.

Ader said he is aware of the Findlay initiative and that his bid would be separate from the Findlay-Cordish connection.

“The second mouse gets the cheese,” Ader told the Review-Journal from his New York office. “This is not something that will happen overnight.”

Ader itemized the $350 investment at $175 million-$200 million for a covered stadium; $100 million for an expansion fee and start-up costs; and $50 million for working capital to cover the first few years.

“Las Vegas is a city that can support a professional soccer team. The first professional (major-league) team is not going to be basketball, baseball or football,” Ader said. “(Soccer) is an exciting prospect.”

Ader said his funding would come from his own capital, money put up by limited partners and Asian investors in the federal “EB-5 visa” program, which allows foreign investors to get visas if they invest $500,000 in construction projects in the U.S.

Ader said he would also seek some level of public concessions from the city of Las Vegas to build the stadium, but he did not know the exact amount of the public subsidy.

“We would be looking for a tax concession. The question is how much? It would need a subsidy,” Ader said.

Justin Findlay, managing partner of Findlay Sports & Entertainment, said his group will announce a soccer stadium financing plan and cost on Aug. 6. The topic is scheduled to be discussed at an Aug. 20 City Council meeting.

Ader said he has not had any discussion with the Findlay group.

Findlay said he is unaware of Ader’s interest, so he is not in a position to comment, except to say in an email, “it does not change our vision or continued effort to bring a Major League Soccer team to Las Vegas. We feel that local ownership is an important element to ensure this happens and that the team is a community asset.”

Osorio

Are there more recent profit estimates than the 2013 Forbes article? It's based on 2012 numbers, btw. In any case, things are trending better and in between that the World Cup success and the new tv/sponsorship deals, I have to imagine the players association will push hard for significant gains.

I can't imagine anything has changed drastically in 2 years other than Chivas losing way more.

More on Beasley:
Steven Goff said:
Scratch NYCFC & New England from Beasley sweepstakes, as well ...

High price tag for Beasley, 32-yr-old LB/LMF. Curious to see how many MLS clubs are serious. No Canadian sides, I'm told

Sounds like nobody wants him so he'll go to Chivas
He's been a great servant for the national team, but he's an injury-prone, older player. I can't imagine that it makes a ton of sense for many teams to sign him if he's asking for DP money.
I hope I haven't verbally cursed the Quakes into signing him now.

Osorio

He's been a great servant for the national team, but he's an injury-prone, older player. I can't imagine that it makes a ton of sense for many teams to sign him if he's asking for DP money.
I hope I haven't verbally cursed the Quakes into signing him now.

That's the problem, it sounds like him joining the league is asking US Soccer for a favor.

Since the league owns Chivas I think he'll end up there.

xbhaskarx

Don't know if this was posted but Marca says Xavi is staying with Barca for another year.

So much for Xaviwatch :(

Is it for another full year or for half a season until NYC/OCSC start playing? It would make sense for Xavi to stay with Barcelona for now if other guys are going on loan to Australia and Brazil and whatnot... If he's staying for a full year NYC should move on to someone else rather than waiting for him, he'll be too old to start his MLS career at that point.

Meier

Is it for another full year or for half a season until NYC/OCSC start playing? It would make sense for Xavi to stay with Barcelona for now if other guys are going on loan to Australia and Brazil and whatnot... If he's staying for a full year NYC should move on to someone else rather than waiting for him, he'll be too old to start his MLS career at that point.

I have a feeling it'll be until the winter transfer window. He still has a big contract with Barca until 2016 and they don't want to pay him to walk away so he'll collect a big paycheck from them for another 6 months and then maybe they'll give in or it'll be easier to come to an agreement. A-League has some really strict loan rules apparently so he wouldn't be able to go there (due to Villa) from NYC FC anyway. It's probably going to mean Lampard signs with them directly for a period.

I'd love to have Beasley come home. It's not like we're going to spend DP money elsewhere. Our track record for signing DPs might just be the worst in MLS. At least this signing would have some emotional attachment.

Beas --- Segares --- Soumare --- Palmer

Would have been a decent backline. Oh well.

Osorio

Our U-23 team is in the semi-finals of the NPSL national championship.

They'll be hosting Lansing United on Sunday at the practice facility in Hanover.

I'll be going to support the prospects. If anyone else wants to go it's free to the public but they will close the gates once it fills up to capacity (whatever that is).

The main thing they'll push for is increased free agency rights, last time (2010) they got the re-entry draft but they want something closer to the other US leagues...

I'll predict right now that even with a substantial bump in the salary cap most fans will complain that it's not enough. Which is ridiculous because the player pool isn't going to change overnight, and doubling Robbie Findley's salary isn't going to magically turn him into Defoe...

But it might just turn him into Fit FinlAy

Askani

Beasley signing imminent?

Darrell Lovell ‏@DarrellLovell 1m
Confirmed: @Houstondynamo have traded Warren Creavalle to Toronto FC for top allocation spot and allocation money.​

Askani

Official:

DaMarcus Beasley ‏@DaMarcusBeasley 4m
Really excited to say that Im officially apart of the @HoustonDynamo family! Can't wait to get started n meet everyone! #foreverorange​

Meier

From the Daily Mail:

Frank Lampard is set to be confirmed as a New York City FC player at 3.30pm on Thursday.

A press conference has been called here in New York to unveil the MLS franchise's latest new signing, expected to be the ex-Chelsea man.

The event, which will take place at Brooklyn Bridge Park, will also include Lampard taking part in a coaching clinic with 40 local children.

Pretty detailed story, so I believe it's probably accurate.

Edit: Ahh, some more details...

N9c0cnY.jpg

I am actually in NYC in advance of the City game next week. Maybe I'll see if I can convince my wife to go to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom