• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

now Man United are killing the Galaxy in the first half. What the fuck was that from Meyer?

WTF

BigheartedHopefulKookaburra.gif

Hopefully that was match fixing and Meyer is now a wealthy man, because if he was actually trying there....

xbhaskarx

If winning 5-1 wasn't enough...

Robert Jonas ‏@robertjonas

Overheard after the match: #SJEarthquakes have lined up a multi-year deal for a central midfielder, pending the player passing a physical.

Maybe Watson should've sat Lenhart and Gordon earlier.

Apparently Lenhart got hurt while warming up... so even when we finally figure things out and win 5-1, it's really just dumb luck.

So Beasley signs with Houston and tweets hashtag #orangeforever (barf) and I stay up late to watch us get shellacked by a team with as bad a record as us.

It kinda was a bad day.

Here's a gem from the Fire forums:

I kinda wish relegation existed so we could play against more equal teams in the league below us

LOL

If winning 5-1 wasn't enough...

Robert Jonas ‏@robertjonas

Overheard after the match: #SJEarthquakes have lined up a multi-year deal for a central midfielder, pending the player passing a physical.
He also noted:
Pres Dave Kaval says @SJEarthquakes "are in a transition from one style of play to different style of play..We need some different players"

Watson, when asked about status of Alan Gordon: "Not available tonight." Was it a coach's decision? "Not available," was all he would offer.
Sounds like they might be shipping Gordon off, picking up a new CM, and adjusting the style of play. That'll help, but it's probably too little too late at this point.

- Greg Seltzer
I have just woken up to an ace birdie telling me that DeAndre Yedlin has had a change of heart about the AS Roma option, so the Serie A club are back in the race for his services with a vengeance. The Sounders phenom is now cool with staying in Seattle until next summer, which means Roma are again drawing close to a deal.

Hope to have more later, so stay tuned.

- Jeff Bradley for SI: Arsene Wenger and Ivan Gazidis: On Gedion Zelalem and all things Arsenal
SI: Let's get this one out of the way for American fans. We've heard a lot about Gedion Zelalem. We've seen bits of him on YouTube. He is eligible to play for the United States national team if he acquires citizenship. And he's on your roster for the game on Saturday night against the New York Red Bulls. What can you tell us about him?

Wenger: He is a player with a good eye and good technique and is very agile. He has the ambition to find the ball on the field. So he's the kind of player who could be of use to the United States. He's in some ways the type of player the U.S. was missing in the World Cup.

He is potentially an international player, for sure. But the next two or three years he will have to show he has the mental qualities to fill that potential. That's what's at stake for him now. If he grows physically, since he's slim, and continues to develop his mentality, the potential is there for him to be a top professional player.

SI: Is the potential there for Gedion to play for Arsenal [first team]?

Wenger: Right now, I don’t think he's ready. I don't think he's ready in the next six months. Next season, I hope to say yes. But if things goes quicker than expected, maybe from January onwards. The American fans can see him play on Saturday night.

SI: Do you think his choice will be to play for the U.S.? (Zelalem, born in Germany to Ethiopian parents, is currently eligible to play for Ethiopia and Germany. He lived in the USA from when he was 9-15 and his father is in the process of obtaining U.S. citizenship, according to SI's Grant Wahl, which would have a trickle-down effect for Gedion)

Gazidis: I don't know. If you speak to Gedion, it sounds like you're speaking to an American. And, certainly, when we found him, he was living in D.C. and thinking of himself as a young U.S. kid. But I don't know, that's a decision he has to make.

Wenger: He feels American. But who will he choose? I don't know. He's a product of modern society. More and more players, like him, have three national teams and have to choose one. Look at Algeria's World Cup team, 17 of 23 players were born in France.

xbhaskarx

Sounder at Heart:
Report: DeAndre Yedlin to AS Roma done for 5 million dollars

The highly fluid transfer of DeAndre Yedlin from Seattle Sounders FC to another club is reportedly done. According to the linked report Yedlin will be sold to AS Roma for five million US dollars and then loaned back to Seattle for at least the rest of the 2014 season. At that point Roma will decide what to do for the next year. DeAndre could not play for Roma as they will already have signed their non-EU player for their 2014-15 season.

If this report is true Yedlin will be tied for the third highest transfer from MLS to another league.

xbhaskarx

Chris Kamrani ‏@chriskamrani

Breaking: Real Salt Lake has signed FW/MF Sebastian Saucedo. The 17-year-old from Park City is the club's eighth Homegrown player. #RSL

This kid is supposed to be really good...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Chris Kamrani ‏@chriskamrani

Breaking: Real Salt Lake has signed FW/MF Sebastian Saucedo. The 17-year-old from Park City is the club's eighth Homegrown player. #RSL

This kid is supposed to be really good...

They say that about most Homegrown players who rarely get any chances.

Osorio

NYCFC is almost up to our number of followers on Twitter with a squad of 4 players.

They're definitely outdrawing us next year. Then, as the 20th anniversary of the league approaches, and RBA attendances start to plummet, we become Metro FC!

I noticed how this went up just a few days ago...

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/club/history

It's all coming together.

Meier

$5m honestly seems pretty cheap.

Looks like Di Marzio confirmed it. He is probably the best source of news in European football but certainly so with all things Serie A.

xbhaskarx

Lots of firsts these days, here's another one

LA Galaxy II sign forward Jaime Villarreal
Villarreal becomes first LA Galaxy Academy player to sign for LA Galaxy II

LA Galaxy II have signed forward Jaime Villarreal, the club announced today. Villarreal, a product of the LA Galaxy Academy, becomes the first LA Galaxy Academy player to sign a contract with the LA Galaxy II.

“Jaime is an exciting young player who has already shown his quality in our Academy,” LA Galaxy II head coach Curt Onalfo said. “He will give our squad another attacking option and we are excited to keep him in the LA Galaxy family as he moves to the professional level.”

Villarreal most recently featured for the LA Galaxy Under-18 squad, scoring 10 goals to help lead his team to a 19-3-5 record and the Southwest Division Championship in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy 2013/2014 season.

In May 2014, the 19-year-old forward earned his first call up to a U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team training camp in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Jaime is the younger brother of LA Galaxy Homegrown forward Jose Villarreal, who is currently on loan to Cruz Azul in Mexico’s Liga MX.

xbhaskarx

The post-Leiweke folks (Chris Klein and whoever is running AEG Sports now) have certainly made some questionable decisions: trading Mike Magee for Robbie Rogers, signing Omar Gonzalez as the third DP, wasting money and roster spots on useless league veterans like Pable Mastroeni, bringing in Samuel and Rob Friend at forward, sending away Jose Villareal who is young and cheap and much better than both those bozos *right now*.... aside from starting up LA Galaxy II they really seem to lack the ambition that Leiweke had.

Well that was a lot of fun for a first game. Sat near 50 or so Londoner's who seemed to be having a lot of fun.

Also one guy wore a Liverpool Suarez jersey and was sitting near us, so he got his fair share of abuse from Crystal Palace supporters.

If not for a shit own goal it would've been 0-0. I'll take 1-0 againts an epl team. At least it wasn't 7-0.

xbhaskarx

"Fresh off scoring against Spurs, Toronto FC's young Canadian FW Jordan Hamilton is set to join Portuguese Div 2 club C.D. Trofense on loan"

Osorio

I want to believe.

Supposedly there's a Metrostars shirt coming for the 20th anniversary, with badge and everything! Of course, Red Bull is attempting to stop it or make some concessions on it.

Either way, if it comes to fruition I'm buying one for my whole damn family!

So what do we have on tap today?

New York Red Bulls vs. Arsenal
Red Bull Arena, Harrison, N.J.
5 pm ET on ESPN2 | INFO

D.C. United vs. Fulham
Everbank Field, Jacksonville, Fla.
6 pm ET

Chicago Fire vs. Tottenham Hotspur
Toyota Park, Bridgeview, Ill.
8 pm ET on ESPN | TIX

It's too bad the DCU-Fulham game isn't being broadcast because I haven't seen Hyndman play before, and presumably he'll get a fair bit of time.

Osorio

So what do we have on tap today?

New York Red Bulls vs. Arsenal
Red Bull Arena, Harrison, N.J.
5 pm ET on ESPN2 | INFO

D.C. United vs. Fulham
Everbank Field, Jacksonville, Fla.
6 pm ET

Chicago Fire vs. Tottenham Hotspur
Toyota Park, Bridgeview, Ill.
8 pm ET on ESPN | TIX

It's too bad the DCU-Fulham game isn't being broadcast because I haven't seen Hyndman play before, and presumably he'll get a fair bit of time.

Toronto - SKC at 7 should be good too

xbhaskarx

Bobby Wood scored for 1860 Munich in a 2-0 win over Stoke...

29' Bobby with a brilliant 50-yard run and combination play where he bursts through into the Stoke half. Goes through a pair of defenders but scuffs his shot wide unfortunately. Would have been an excellent goal.

34' Bobby finds himself open on the back post from about 6 yards when a cross finds him but his side-footed volley goes wide. Huge chance blown there by him. Should have hit the target.

The stream stopped working before his 52' goal but here's the nice run in the 29th minute, and the missed volley is a few minutes later... he's number 23 on the left side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAJgfLiB3_0#t=34m00s

Google translated Wood-related comments from the match ticker:
17:11:. Nearly but now the 1-0 for 1860, but Bobby Wood his visor has not been set correctly. We know that already.

17:31: And shortly afterwards almost made ​​it 2-0: Bobby Wood asserts itself in an irresistible way, but unfortunately also shoots just wide of the right post. This single action would have deserved a goal. Rightly, there is applause.

17:34: And again fails Wood free before the Stoke keeper - that's tearing the hair. In Kaiserslautern must not miss such opportunities.

17:45: And we're honest: Wood is the most dangerous lion attacker - what it lacks: a sense of achievement! So how exactly he shoots for a nice solo sadly over only.

18:09: Now the spell is broken: Wood pulls into the box, fast body deception, he draws from - 2:0. What a goal. Compliment!

18:17: With the 2-0 Wood has crowned its strong performance this afternoon. This gate could pass him a boost.

18:40: My compliments to Ricardo Moniz: The lion's team seems to be to the point exactly in top shape. From a very dedicated lion-elf stood out Bobby Wood and intelligence chief Vallori.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom