• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Revs back to Nguyenning... where was that over the last 8 games?

Did you guys know that Henry's goal was our first goal in Salt Lake since the 2008 Western Conference Final?

Mind blown.

RealSaltLake
#RSL is 81-17-27 at home since the beginning of 2008.
236 goals for, 95 against ... +141.

Hopefully this Jermaine Jones to the Fire thing finalizes today. It would be a great start to repair this broken team, but we're going to need much more help.

RealSaltLake
#RSL is 81-17-27 at home since the beginning of 2008.
236 goals for, 95 against ... +141.

That is fucking amazing.

Brian Ching on EJ:
w8cnjzg.jpg

EJ on Brian Ching:

Judderman

drawer by drawer
So my boss got us tickets to go see Man City and Liverpool at Yankees Stadium, and while the game was entertaining (2nd half & PKs especially.), I couldn't help but notice how weird that field looked.

zn3eOOUl.jpg

1) That field is narrow as hell. I've never seen a field that narrow before.
2) They really need to do a better job of covering the dirt, it looked terrible.
3) The TV angle they were using is terrible as well.

They better reevaluate some of their options moving forward, because it was pretty lackluster. Thank goodness we have Red Bull Arena.

It looked ridiculous.

What really caught my eye from the five minutes I watched, when Sterling scored the tying goal, was how torn up the grass was getting. This was only one game. Imagine next summer. I think it'll tick off the Yankees' outfielders after a while.

xbhaskarx

The was a rumor floating that he might play this weekend. I'm surprised that they got the work permit turned around this quickly. I guess he's been playing recently, so at least he's in shape.

In other Quakes news, looks like a 2 month layoff for Goodson and Lenhart's most likely out for a month.

Sheesh, it's Quakes news day here: Earthquakes have 5-year deal with 49ers to play at Levi's
The Earthquakes have signed a five-year deal with the 49ers to play an annual regular-season Major League Soccer game at Levi's Stadium.

San Jose president Dave Kaval revealed the agreement Thursday in an interview with this newspaper.

"It's a great way to showcase MLS and our team at a bigger venue," he said.

An estimated 45,000 fans are expected Saturday when the Quakes (5-8-5, MLS) play host to first-place Seattle Sounders FC to christen the $1.3 billion Levi's next to Great America amusement park in Santa Clara.

The Quakes plan to open an 18,000-seat soccer stadium next year across from Mineta San Jose International Airport. But the team will continue playing rival Los Angeles at Stanford Stadium and a second "tent pole" event at Levi's.
It'll be fun to see the new stadium on Saturday, but the public transportation and parking are going to be a little rough.

xbhaskarx

So what does that mean, one game every season at Levi's Stadium and one game vs LA Galaxy at Stanford Stadium? I like it... as long as we have a decent that's not embarrassing themselves in front of 40-50k fans.

xbhaskarx

T-Boyd making news on the FIFA site...

Team-mates tussle for Ibra souvenir

When Ibra was subbed during PSG’s 4-2 defeat, opposite captain Daniel Frahn rushed over to get his No10 jersey, only to have his request politely denied by the 32-year-old. “Sorry, but I have promised it to this young man,” said Ibrahimovic as he handed the shirt to Frahn’s new strike partner Terrence Boyd - as seen in the above picture.

A few tidbits from Greg Seltzer:

Geoff Cameron
Perhaps you saw this report linking Stoke handyman Geoff Cameron with interest from nine clubs in England and Germany. I have just started my dig on this, but can already confirm that Eintracht Frankfurt are definitely not in the market for him. It looks a pretty safe bet to add Schalke to the Offside Flag list, but let's just hold off until we can ripple it with complete certainty.

And as to all the rest? Working on it. I do know Southampton and Sunderland are in the market for reliable defensive help, but we shall see.

While we're at it...
Let's tidy up a few cases...

SoccerByIves is also correct: I can confirm that the LA Galaxy have opened loan-with-buy option discussions over Sacha Kljestan. However, I am told these talks are currently in the infancy stage.

Again, do not get over-heated just yet, but I have learned that Sporting CP (clearly still regrouping from the failure to lure Terrence Boyd) have made some introductory calls about Juan Agudelo. Will they get serious before it's too late? Stay tuned.

A quick background check: the recent Matt Besler situation basically came down to a KC stay or Fulham. Sunderland and Southampton were next in the order of seriousness, but slow to decide on formulating an actual offer. Nobody involved ever put up an offer to match the "Buy now!" price on Besler, but he would probably be a Cottager today if they were still in the Prem.

No great goodies here, but it needs to be stated. A lot of folks in various places have wasted a lot of breath insisting that a) Sunderland would cut-and-run from Jozy Altidore & b) that no one besides an MLS club or weak Euro-league team would want the US striker after his miserable club season.

Well, in fact, quite a few European clubs in all sorts of top leagues made calls about Altidore before he was injured at World Cup. It seems they all were hoping Sunderland were eager to shed the forward (or the other way around), but nothing ever went much further than hello. So, he had plenty of potential, but is in a two-way relationship with Sunderland and both parties are intent on another try. Long story short: assuming in an emotional state is generally a bad plan.

- 18 Players Named to Roster for U-23 MNT Camp from Aug. 3-7 in Bahamas
U.S. Under-23 Men’s National Team

Roster By Position:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Cody Cropper (Southampton; Maple Grove, Minn.), Zack Steffen (Maryland; Downington, Pa.)

DEFENDERS (7): AJ Cochran (Houston Dynamo; St. Louis, Mo.), Christian Dean (Vancouver Whitecaps FC; East Palo Alto, Calif.), Ramon Martin del Campo (San Jose Earthquakes; Chula Vista, Calif.), Bryan Gallego (Arizona United; Kinnelon, N.J.), Juan Pablo Ocegueda (Alebrijes de Oaxaca; Riverside, Calif.), William Packwood (Birmingham City; Concord, Mass.), Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (4): Dennis Flores (León; Pasadena, Calif.), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake; Garden Grove, Calif.), Marlon Hairston (Colorado Rapids; Jackson, Miss.), Benji Joya (Chicago Fire; San Jose, Calif.)

FORWARDS (5): Daniel Cuevas (CF Lobos BUAP; Sacramento, Calif.), Alfred Koroma Shams (Internacional; Southlake, Texas), Jordan Morris (Stanford; Mercer Island, Wash.), Victor Pineda (Indy Eleven; Bolingbrook, Ill.), Omar Salgado (Vancouver Whitecaps FC; El Paso, Texas)

Never heard of him...
Me too. Salgado's been off the radar for a while, too.

In "stuff I've had on a clipboard all week and forgot to post" news:

Greg Seltzer has been rolling out his picks for 2018. It includes a pretty exhaustive look at the candidates. Here's a summary:

Starters: Guzan; Yedlin, Gonzalez, Brooks, Pelosi; Cameron, Bradley; Johnson, Gil, Green; Altidore
Bench: Sean Johnson, Lichaj, Packwood, Besler, Klute, Williams, Trapp, Rubin, Diskerud, Arriola, Boyd
3rd team: Clark, Chandler, O'Neill, Palmer-Brown, Garza, Okugo, Arce Jr., Gatt, Bedoya, Shea, Johannsson​

GK:
Brad Guzan
Sean Johnson

Steve Clark
Bill Hamid
Cody Cropper

Also being monitored: Dan Kennedy, Tally Hall, Clint Irwin, Luis Robles, Zac McMath, Caleb Patterson-Sewell

RB:
DeAndre Yedlin
Eric Lichaj

Timothy Chandler
Andrew Farrell
Sheanon Williams

Also being monitored: Zarek Valentin, Kofi Sarkodie, Josh Williams, Chance Myers

RCB:
Omar Gonzalez
Will Packwood

Shane O'Neill
Matt Hedges
Michael Parkhurst

Also being monitored: Walker Zimmerman

LCB:
John Anthony Brooks
Matt Besler

Erik Palmer-Brown
Tim Ream
Chris Schuler

Also being monitored: George John

LB:
Marc Pelosi
Chris Klute

Gregory Garza
Michael Orozco Fiscal
Juan Pablo Ocegueda

Also being monitored: Seth Sinovic

#6's (defensive CM)
Geoff Cameron
Daniel Williams

Amobi Okugo
Maurice Edu
Perry Kitchen

Also being monitored: Caleb Stanko, Alfredo Morales, Jonathan Spector

#8's (box to box CM)
Michael Bradley
Wil Trapp

Fernando Arce Jr.
Dax McCarty
Sacha Kljestan

Also being monitored: Benji Joya, Stuart Holden, Mikey Lopez

RW:
Fabian Johnson
Rubio Rubin

Josh Gatt
Harrison Shipp
Joe Corona

Also being monitored: Graham Zusi, Daniel Cuevas, Andrew Wooten

CAM:
Luis Gil
Mikkel Diskerud

Alejandro Bedoya
Kelyn Rowe
Junior Flores

Also being monitored: Sebastian Lletget, Duane Holmes, Emerson Hyndman, Dillon Powers, Alejandro Guido

LW:
Julian Green
Paul Arriola

Brek Shea
Joseph Gyau
Mario Rodriguez

Also being monitored: Lee Nguyen, Kainoa Bailey, Jose Villarreal, Bobby Wood

ST:
Jozy Altidore
Terrence Boyd

Aron Johansson
Juan Agudelo
Jack McInerney

Also being monitored: Gyasi Zardes, Victor Pineda, Alonso Hernández, Lynden Gooch, Jordan Morris, Omar Salgado, Zach Pfeffer, Ben Spencer, Jack McBean
You can check out the full lists and explanation for each position on his blog.

xbhaskarx

Bummer: Sources: Ronaldinho not joining Red Bulls – or MLS

Ronaldinho’s agents did contact MLS about a possible move. However, monetary concerns and a general lack of interest or funds from big money clubs quickly quelled that momentum.

A league source says his “gut feeling” is Ronaldinho joins either newly promoted Premiership side, Queens Park Rangers or Boca Juniors of the Argentine Primera. The 34-year-old playmaker has also been linked to Fluminense and the A-League as well.

According to his agent, Ronaldinho will reveal his future destination this Wednesday.

xbhaskarx

Stadium news...

Fight is on for Twin Cities pro soccer franchise

The Vikings’ advantage is that they have a stadium under construction that meets MLS standards. Though it is indoors and has an artificial surface, Bagley said he believes the 60 percent glass roof and five pivoting doors give the stadium the best of both worlds — the ability to have an outdoor feel in the summer but also control the weather during a regular-season schedule that runs from early March through late October. Last year’s championship game was in December.

Architects are also fine-tuning plans to cover the upper bowl during soccer matches, giving the stadium a capacity of 20,000-25,000. The Vikings have shown those preliminary designs to MLS officials and local leaders, and they plan to unveil the finished product to the public this fall at their stadium preview center.

Though United officials won’t acknowledge that they have renderings for a downtown Minneapolis stadium near the Farmers Market, the Star Tribune has spoken to people who have viewed the plans. It would be an open-air stadium with views of the Minneapolis skyline, similar to Target Field.

The United group would need to have a stadium plan in place before proceeding with a formal bid on an MLS franchise, and that is their biggest hurdle. They are working behind the scenes with multiple partners, though no formal deals have been announced.

Real Salt Lake willing to pay the price for minor-league stadium
Tab estimated at $13 million to build a 5,000-8,000 seat facility at the Fairpark

The stadium, which would hold between 5,000 and 8,000 people, is expected to cost between $12 million and $13 million, RSL’s Vice President of Communications Trey Fitz-Gerald says. And it’s a bill the franchise is willing to foot alone, forgoing the possibility of using some public funds.

While details have yet to be worked out, the deal would likely give RSL control over the stadium and its scheduling, allowing the franchise to operating a United Soccer League franchise there as a minor-league training tool.

"We’ve got guys at the bottom of our roster right now that need games and they need to compete for minutes," Fitz-Gerald said last month, when the stadium proposal was first announced. "That’s what we think a USL affiliation would accomplish."

1) I would rather them 'promote' than create a new team from scratch. Minnesota United FC is already established.

2) RSL footing the entire bill without tax payer money is fantastic

xbhaskarx

Hoffenheim season preview

Defence

The big blow however has come in the form of losing the fantastic Fabian Johnson to Gladbach, who starred for the United States in this summer's World Cup. Captain Andreas Beck, Bundesliga winner with Stuttgart in 2006/07, and 19-year old Jeremy Toljan are expected to be the regular full-backs.

Following one of the most talked about on-field incidents in MLS this season involving New York Red Bulls defender Jamison Olave and Real Salt Lake forward Olmes Garcia this week, the MLS Disciplinary Committee has acted.

Olave has been suspended two games and fined an undisclosed amount for grabbing Garcia, which was deemed violent conduct toward an opponent in the 77th minute of the match on July 30 (WATCH above).

In addition, both RSL midfielder Javier Morales and Red Bulls midfielder Tim Cahill have been fined for violating the League’s policy regarding hands to the face/head of an opponent, also in the 77th minute of the July 30 match (WATCH above).

Stay away from Diego!

Revolution’s Diego Fagundez called into Uruguay Under-20 camp

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – New England Revolution midfielder Diego Fagundez has been called into the Uruguay Under-20 team by head coach Fabian Coito.

Fagundez will travel to Lima, Peru, on Sunday, August 3, for a pair of friendlies against Peru on Monday, August 4 and Wednesday, August 6. He is expected to re-join the Revs on Friday, August 8.

This is the second time Fagundez has been called in by the Uruguay Under-20 team. He also spent a week in camp with the U20s in October 2012.

Fagundez, 19, was born in Montevideo, Uruguay, and moved to the U.S. when he was a young child and is a U.S. permanent resident. He is in his fourth professional season with the Revolution, having signed as a Homegrown player in November 2010. Fagundez has made 78 appearances in New England, scoring 21 goals and adding 13 assists.

Askani

So ridiculous. lol

SKC Gameday ‏@SKCgameday 28m
The streak stays alive: through 22 games in the 2014 @MLS regular season, Sporting KC has featured 22 different starting lineups. #SKCvPHI​

Nesotenso

So ridiculous. lol

SKC Gameday ‏@SKCgameday 28m
The streak stays alive: through 22 games in the 2014 @MLS regular season, Sporting KC has featured 22 different starting lineups. #SKCvPHI​
was hoping EPB would get one more start with both Olum and Besler out.

Askani

Boom. Hopefully we get more chances opening up now that Philly actually has to chase the game instead of sitting back and countering.

The equalizer! Good game so far.

In other news, more on Cameron from Seltzer:
So, I have done some digging around here here and there. It turns out the Stoke Sentinel article about Geoff Cameron interest was largely headed in the right direction, if not fully comprehensive/up to date.

Let's begin in Germany. Earlier, I threw up a flag on the Eintracht Frankfurt link and that stands as current - but it turns out they did at one time call up to ask about his financial particulars. It went no further and Eintracht are only looking in attack now. Likewise, the Schalke technical staff did actually make a call about Cameron (the right back version), but that is also a closed scene by now. Another Bundesliga club in the picture is Hamburg (think CB here), but it seems that league's number stops at three for the summer and the one current. Across the borders, Cameron also had fleeting glances from PSV Eindhoven and Anderlecht.

Turning to England, he does have several suitors, perhaps even more than the five asserted in the Sentinel article. However, I have been told that Stoke have no interest in selling Cameron and I cannot confirm any single one of the linked clubs as suitors. I will say Southampton and Sunderland seem prime suspects if there ever were some, with both angling for defenders.

To sum up, someone could always knock their socks off with a lofty bid, but for now it appears he is going nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom