• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

Just got the email that the champions league home games are free for season ticket holders

The gift that keeps on giving

Nyx

Rubio Rubin finally signed a contract at FC Utrecht, for 4 years.

fkrlM0N.png

Meier

Rubio Rubin finally signed a contract at FC Utrecht, for 4 years.

http://i.imgur.com/fkrlM0N.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Awesome! I know you're the resident Utrecht fan. It seems like he has been playing well from what we've heard but I've never seen him play. What are your thoughts? Watched any of the preseason games?

Nyx

Awesome! I know you're the resident Utrecht fan. It seems like he has been playing well from what we've heard but I've never seen him play. What are your thoughts? Watched any of the preseason games?

He has been playing and training with our youth-team since last year already but due to his age and the fact he's not an EU player, it took a long time before he could sign a contract.

I've only seen him play for 5 minutes against Dundee United 2 weeks ago, when he broke his nose in an air-duel....

But from what I've seen in those 5 minutes and read about him on the Utrecht (supporter)websites, he looks like an energetic forward with good technique and also pretty strong for his age.

And from the interviews I've read he seems like a mature guy who wants to do everything to be a succes in European football, doesn't seem like the person to get bigheaded after 1 or 2 good games.

We'll see if he can get himself in the first team this season already.

Didn't he lose his spot to a Belgian prodigy?
Yes, more or less. Sounds like he was only going to be an occasional starter and an impact sub, so this will get him playing time.

Twellmann on the CBA:
I would be shocked if the DP allotment doesn't raise to 4 and there isn't a significant (45-50%) raise in the cap in @MLS by Jan. 2015

EDIT:

More from Twellmann:
My last tweet is an educated guess > any conversations I've had off the record but there are ownerships in @MLS that want to get going.

Going by wiki it looks like the current cap is at 3.1 mil. A 50% raise is roughly 4.6 mil, that's a pittance.

What does the average EPL team spend on their team? I'm guessing a mid-table team doles out about around 30 mil in salaries per year, no?

Ideally salary cap should be around there, and then get rid of DPs.

It's a hard issue to tackle, but honestly I think America is ready for it. Gotta spend money to make money.

xbhaskarx

No offense but I'm glad you're not my accountant, because that makes no sense on like five different levels.

Any increase should be incremental, I don't think increasing it by 40-50% in one offseason makes much sense. It should be like 15-20% a year over five years instead. What's player turnover like from year to year, maybe 10-15%? Maybe that can increase, but remember there are limits on the number of international players, and at this point there aren't exactly tons of Americans doing big things abroad that can be brought back. How many players will actually increase revenue if you bring them in, by putting butts in seats and selling jerseys? By enough to justify their cost? As far as players already in the league are concerned, if you triple the salary of some scrub on the end of the bench, that's not going to convince fans to come see him play, and it's not going to magically make him better. Maybe a few young kids enter the draft instead of heading to Europe, but Europe will always remain a draw and MLS is adding plenty of American-developed prospects through the draft and homegrown player system as it is.

$30 million is clearly a joke. Right now rich people want to buy MLS teams (Thohir in DC, Precourt in Columbus, etc.) or pay for expansion teams (Minneapolis, Sacramento, Vegas, etc.). That's because around 10 of the 19 teams are now profitable (2012 Forbes... and really 10 of 18 as NYRB doesn't want jersey or stadium sponsors). Going back to the days when the less-rich owners had to pull out because they were hemorrhaging money and Anschutz had to buy 2/3 of the league seems like a bad idea. If people want soccer leagues with no parity whatsoever there are already plenty of choices available to them. MLS has shown that slow and steady growth that's evenly distributed is a viable option, no way they move away from that now. And if I'm arguing for the non-superclub owners I remind the players that running a fiscally responsible league is the reason they've more than doubled their union membership in the last decade with the league going from 10 teams to 21.

Osorio

No offense but I'm glad you're not my accountant, because that makes no sense on like five different levels.

Any increase should be incremental, I don't think increasing it by 40-50% in one offseason makes much sense. It should be like 15-20% a year over five years instead. What's player turnover like from year to year, maybe 10-15%? Maybe that can increase, but remember there are limits on the number of international players, and at this point there aren't exactly tons of Americans doing big things abroad that can be brought back. How many players will actually increase revenue if you bring them in, by putting butts in seats and selling jerseys? By enough to justify their cost? As far as players already in the league are concerned, if you triple the salary of some scrub on the end of the bench, that's not going to convince fans to come see him play, and it's not going to magically make him better. Maybe a few young kids enter the draft instead of heading to Europe, but Europe will always remain a draw and MLS is adding plenty of American-developed prospects through the draft and homegrown player system as it is.

$30 million is clearly a joke. Right now rich people want to buy MLS teams (Thohir in DC, Precourt in Columbus, etc.) or pay for expansion teams (Minneapolis, Sacramento, Vegas, etc.). That's because around 10 of the 19 teams are now profitable (2012 Forbes... and really 10 of 18 as NYRB doesn't want jersey or stadium sponsors). Going back to the days when the less-rich owners had to pull out because they were hemorrhaging money and Anschutz had to buy 2/3 of the league seems like a bad idea. If people want soccer leagues with no parity whatsoever there are already plenty of choices available to them. MLS has shown that slow and steady growth that's evenly distributed is a viable option, no way they move away from that now. And if I'm arguing for the non-superclub owners I remind the players that running a fiscally responsible league is the reason they've more than doubled their union membership in the last decade with the league going from 10 teams to 21.

Well said. If we increase the salary cap prodigiously for the sake of bringing in international players, then there'll hardly be any Americans in any starting XIs. You can't lose sight as to what this league is, which is a developmental league for the American and Canadian game. Americans have a hard enough time getting play time in Europe, they shouldn't have a hard time getting on the field in MLS.

I don't want us to turn out like England. Hell, RBNY averages about 3 Americans in the starting lineup at the moment.

Come on Revs let's win a game
It's pretty fucking simple
Put some goals into the net
And we'll go fucking mental

La di da da la di da

Shuttleworth; Farrell, Soares, Goncalves, Alston; Caldwell; Bunbury, Rowe, Nguyen, Fagundez; Davies

Davies up top, Alston in for Tierney

Azuran

Banned
Our backline is garbage, our wings are garbage. Bradley is garbage. Nelsen is garbage. I just don't get his obsession with playing Moore over Gilberto. Even if he doesn't score, he still more creative than our entire midfield put together.

0-4 road trip coming up. Yay!

Osorio

Absolutely no order in the front 5. Wtf is Petke watching? Cahill is going everywhere, Henry is at the center circle, bwp completely isolated for stretches of time, no overlapping runs

Osorio

We got 2 games this week, Mike. Come on man.

I dunno who he talked to in England but he didn't learn jack shit. Hans Backe 2.0!

Olave is probably going to be suspended Saturday for that nutcheck.

I'm so frustrated with this team, and we're heading in all sorts of worse directions.

Osorio

Did you guys know that Henry's goal was our first goal in Salt Lake since the 2008 Western Conference Final?

Mind blown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom