• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZMitch

Cool, also met Rimando, Valeri, will Johnson, and Yedlin. I told Yedlin I hoped the transfer rumors were real because I loved his play and wished I could support him without that whole Timbers Seattle thing. He laughed. Hahaha.

That's awesome man, were they all at some fan meet up or something?

Dartastic

That's awesome man, were they all at some fan meet up or something?
They were all in this area doing autographs and doing photo ops and stuff outside of the Flaming Lips concert. I got my Timbers Army created All-Star scarf (which IMO is way better than the official one) signed by all 5 of the guys I mentioned in my two posts. Pretty rad. I also asked Rimando to please not stand on his head again if we're three points out of making the playoffs because the Timbers last home game is against RSL. He also laughed. :p

Osorio

I figured they had it all done already and the league just wanted to keep it mum until the season finished...guess I was totally wrong.

And only one interested buyer? When there are several cities across the country seemingly desperate for an expansion spot?

Sacramento plz.

Meier

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/08/orlando-lawsuit-stadium.html

Wow. The Church screwed themselves out of a ton of money and the stadium is basically in the same spot as it was. What a bunch of dummies.

Reading the comments on the news article at Orlando City's website, a few people complaining about it being a block further from downtown (this is currently a pretty rough area of town) but there really wasn't much of an option if they wanted to get the thing built and not get tied up in court in perpetuity. Someone mentioned that now with the extra parcel of land they had in the previous area, the city will be able to build a new police station -- that's pretty cool.

Haven't posted in a bit but...WOO HOO Philly brings back Valdes!

Thats 2 World Cup vets on the roster these last 2 weeks (Algeria GK last week)

Making that last push for the playoffs!

Osorio

With Connor Lade on the Cosmos Miazga will be playing in tonight's homegrown game

A picture of the All-Star Metros...

XbM52ng.png

and Ronny Turiaf?!

Philly needs to use some of their depth to acquire a forward, because LeToux, Casey, and Wenger isn't going to be good enough.

They picked up Brian Brown, scored just the other night vs. KC. Young Jamaican, was leading Golden Boot in the Jamaican league. Adds some new young, fast finishing.

If ya look at GF/GA Philly is -2
34 goals puts them at #3 in the league (Portland has 36 and 3 other teams have 35)
What are problem has been ALL season...defense.

Anyone who has watched a Union game knows we lose or let another team tie in the last 5minutes.
We dont have many shut-outs against us...or for us.

We had Hackworth try to make a striker a CB..we had
Mo in the back, Okugo back their, Sheanon Williams, Ethan White, Austin Berry..our CB have been a revolving door, as well as out Fullbacks shitting the bed on more then one occasion. Gaddis still shows youth mistakes and Williams has been up and down.

Need to deal away some keepers, throw Raais in for Zach..Okugo/Valdes back line?...

Philly needs to use some of their depth to acquire a forward, because LeToux, Casey, and Wenger isn't going to be good enough.

I still don't get the Wenger, Jack Mac trade. Didn't seem to improve either side..at least based on results and playing time that I've seen. Maybe there has been injuries.

I still don't get the Wenger, Jack Mac trade. Didn't seem to improve either side..at least based on results and playing time that I've seen. Maybe there has been injuries.

What I've heard was Jacks attitude was a problem.

I mean, I always loved his "wtf why didnt you pass it?!" look he had too his teammates, but in seeing him play a ton of times you could see that look 50 times a match could get to other guys. He would consistently do the striker "pointing at my feet" look to guys then get pretty angry. Who knows how that translated into the locker room.

xbhaskarx

MLS Homegrown starting XI (4-4-2): Lampson; Morgan, Miazga, Salcedo, Palmer-Brown; Ritter, Garcia, Evans, Teibert; Jamieson, Calvert

Prospect Christian Roldan from U of Washington (rejected a Generation adidas deal) is playing for Portland's U-23s....

xbhaskarx

Guessing Home Growns won? Thats a lot of talent vs. Portland's Academy.
0-0, Portland looked better in the first half when it was basically just Teibert, HGPs in the second half when Shipp/Serna/Trapp/Thompson/Pfeffer came in.

All-Star: Men in Blazers live stream Monday on MLSsoccer.com to feature US Open Cup final draw

Men in Blazers Live Show, Monday, Aug. 4, at 12 am ET / 9 pm PT

According to the MiB themselves, the show will be "a night in conversation with some of our favorite American (Australian, and Canadian) footballers... and Timber Joey." And, of course, you can expect the same kind of witty banter that made MiB a phenomenon during the World Cup.

And Monday's show will include one other big-ticket item: the draw for this fall's 2014 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup final. Representatives from all four of the semifinalist teams – the Chicago Fire, the Seattle Sounders, the Philadelphia Union and FC Dallas – will attend the coin toss for who will host the final, to be held on Sept. 17 or Oct. 1.

Dartastic

I was at the Men In Blazers podcast. After Sunil flipped the coin, he uh, made a really hilarious joke that wasn't talked about on the pod, because he hushed the crowd. It was hilarious. Did anyone listen to it?

I thought about going to Kells to hang out with them for a drink, but my 30 days of not drinking is almost up and I thought I'd be too tempted to drink at the pub with all those rowdy GFOPs... =(

Ramon Martin del Campo (San Jose Earthquakes; Chula Vista, Calif.)
Never heard of him...
- ASN: Ramon Martin del Campo's Road to the U.S. U-23 Team
Born in Mexico but raised in San Diego, 21-year-old central defender Ramon Martin del Campo turned a scrimmage against the U.S. national team into a spot with the U.S. U-23s.

EDIT: Womp, womp:
And what is San Jose’s reward for discovering and nurturing Martin del Campo? Not much.

Because he didn’t come through its academy system before leaving for college, under MLS rules he’s ineligible to be signed as a Homegrown Player. Plus, there’s no mechanism for MLS teams to sign underclassmen directly from college and MLS prevents underclassmen from declaring for the draft. In theory, the league could sign Martin del Campo this summer but then he’d be put through a waiver draft or lottery, and there’s no guarantee he’d end up in San Jose.

Through a team spokesperson, Earthquakes general manager John Doyle declined comment, though league sources told ASN the Quakes were exploring ways to keep Martin del Campo out of the draft. The team is not confident of doing so.

So the Earthquakes will likely have to wait until next year’s SuperDraft and hope Martin del Campo is available when its pick rolls around—although because of his inclusion with the U-23 national team, he’s now known by the scouts and coaches of 18 other MLS teams.

Dartastic

Porter pls

I guess they needed someone who was already there in Portland.
Pretty much. I'm totally fine with it. It's such a late scrub that it's really not worth screwing up other teams in the league for what essentially is a scrimmage. Might as well just put a quality player on the field. Porter even says as much. "Under the circumstances in losing a player at this late point in time, I felt it was best to pull in a player that wouldn't disrupt the other clubs and their preparation this week,” Porter said. “Liam will be a quality addition."

...just don't get hurt Liam. We need you. -.-

Dartastic

Revs are on a bye. Doesn't have to be that quick of a turnaround
There's more to think about than just that though. The logistics of getting someone from the East Coast here in time to have a training session with the team just don't add up. Realistically, it would have had to be someone from the Western Conference, preferably from a team close to Portland like Seattle, or Vancouver. Even then, getting someone on such short notice would be pretty difficult. Might as well just choose the quality player from Portland who has experience as a CB and LB, doesn't have a ton of minutes on his legs yet, and actually has the skills to compete against a team like Bayern.

Askani

Yeah, I don't really mind winter games. However I don't know how Denver or some other snowy weather teams would cope. An expansion team in Minnesota or something would almost assuredly have to play in a covered stadium.

xbhaskarx

They put the kibosh on that this morning during the press conference.

MLS president Mark Abbott on Sepp Blatter’s recent FIFA calendar comments: League looked into it, open to it down the road, nothing imminent

MLS will never switch to a winter schedule. They just keep saying that they're looking into it because they want the World Cup and Blatter has connected the two in the past.

xbhaskarx

Major League Soccer to tour possible stadium sites in Sacramento

Major League Soccer executives will visit Sacramento as early as next month to evaluate the city’s potential expansion into the country’s premier professional soccer league.

MLS Deputy Commissioner Mark Abbott said today that league officials would, among other things, tour possible sites for a new stadium that could host an MLS franchise. He said “there are a lot of discussions going on about a facility” in Sacramento and described the city as “a great market.”

Top executives with Republic FC and the Sacramento Kings are scheduled to brief MLS officials here on Wednesday about their interest in landing a spot in the top soccer league and provide some details on possible stadium locations. League officials and owners from around the league are in Portland for the annual MLS All-Star Game.

The Bee reported on Sunday that the new Kings ownership group, led by Vivek Ranadive, has expressed an interest in investing in Republic FC and helping to elevate the minor league USL Pro club to MLS. Smith confirmed he is in discussions with the Kings’ ownership group and said he is optimistic an agreement will be reached.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
MLS Homegrown starting XI (4-4-2): Lampson; Morgan, Miazga, Salcedo, Palmer-Brown; Ritter, Garcia, Evans, Teibert; Jamieson, Calvert

Prospect Christian Roldan from U of Washington (rejected a Generation adidas deal) is playing for Portland's U-23s....

I'd be interested to see the stats that show how much playing time that HGP team has in MLS.

xbhaskarx

MLS Deputy Commissioner Mark Abbott on expansion, international calendar & pro/rel

On the future of Chivas USA and potential stadium locations in Los Angeles:

“We’ve spent a lot of time talking to potential interested buyers. I don't have a specific timetable yet. … We’ve talked about [the University of Southern California] as a site. There are other sites but we haven’t spent as much time on that. At USC, the idea is a simple one: to tear down the [Los Angeles Memorial] Sports Arena and put up a soccer stadium. But I’m sure there will be other opportunities and other ideas."

"We believe Los Angeles is a market that has the capacity for two clubs. As you know, we love rivalries. We see that in the Northwest. We think that the rivalry in LA can be as compelling. That's the rationale for why we have both NYCFC and the Red Bulls in New York."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom