• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
How is this FAS - RBNY game so loud but the stands are so damn empty? Makes me feel like there are 25 hired people with instruments in front of a microphone making noise.

Osorio

How is this FAS - RBNY game so loud but the stands are so damn empty? Makes me feel like there are 25 hired people with instruments in front of a microphone making noise.
Place seats 53000 and percussion sections in barras are usually pretty large

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Will NY be the only MLS team to not advance?

God I hope not. Do we even have a chance at this point?

We should have brought Cahill along and played him instead of Sene. Sene has disappointed me so much, in that first game it looked like a little playing time and he'd find his form and start scoring some goals.

Well, so long as we do well in the playoffs I suppose it's OK.

Osorio

Petke is an imbecile. Has terrible man management and is never able to switch his tactical approach to a game.

I'm not asking for his head, but he's regressed as a coach. Any implementation to the squad that's worked has been brought to him by either Fraser or Henry.

- ASN takes a crack at naming the US roster for the October friendlies

Full discussion via the link, but here are their picks:
GOALKEEPERS
1) Brad Guzan
2) Nick Rimando
3) Bill Hamid
In the mix: Sean Johnson, Cody Cropper

DEFENDERS
4) Timothy Chandler
5) Greg Garza
6) John Brooks
7) Matt Besler
8) Omar Gonzalez
9) Michael Orozco
10) Tim Ream
11) Fabian Johnson
12) DeAndre Yedlin
In the mix: Robbie Rogers, Matt Hedges, Eric Lichaj

MIDFIELDERS
13) Michael Bradley
14) Jermaine Jones
15) Alfredo Morales
16) Emerson Hyndman
17) Joe Corona
18) Mix Diskerud
19) Alejandro Bedoya
20) Graham Zusi
21) Joe Gyau
22) Julian Green
23) Maurice Edu
24) Lee Nguyen
In the mix: Perry Kitchen, Kyle Beckerman, Luis Gil, Luis Silva, Brek Shea

FORWARDS
25) Jozy Altidore
26) Landon Donovan
27) Clint Dempsey
28) Rubio Rubin
29) Gyasi Zardes
30) Andrew Wooten
In the mix: Bobby Wood, Will Bruin, Jack McInerney, Jordan Morris

xbhaskarx

Not a lot of complaints, I think DeAndre Yedlin is like ten spots too high, and Bill Hamid is too low. Gil should probably be lower based on the fact that he lost his starting job to a guy from NASL. I'd move Okugo down and either Kitchen or O'Neill up. Mauro Diaz should be higher if healthy but he's missed a lot of time this season. One of the guys towards the bottom (for example Olmes Garcia) I'd probably replace with one of the Dallas homegrowns like Ulloa or Acosta...

Rank Player Club
1 DeAndre Yedlin Seattle Sounders
2 Erick "Cubo" Torres Chivas USA
3 Fabian Castillo FC Dallas
4 Gyasi Zardes LA Galaxy
5 Diego Fagundez New England Revolution
6 Mauro Diaz FC Dallas
7 Joao Plata Real Salt Lake
8 Luis Gil Real Salt Lake
9 Wil Trapp Columbus Crew
10 Bill Hamid D.C. United
11 Dillon Powers Colorado Rapids
12 Kekuta Manneh Vancouver Whitecaps
13 Amobi Okugo Philadelphia Union
14 Andrew Farrell New England Revolution
15 Matias Laba Vancouver Whitecaps
16 Kelyn Rowe New England Revolution
17 Harry Shipp Chicago Fire
18 Perry Kitchen D.C. United
19 Shane O'Neill Colorado Rapids
20 Deshorn Brown Colorado Rapids
21 Olmes Garcia Real Salt Lake
22 Gershon Koffie Vancouver Whitecaps
23 Tesho Akindele FC Dallas
24 Russell Teibert Vancouver Whitecaps

xbhaskarx

24 Under 24: An 18-man Homegrown roster that could challenge any team in MLS on any given day

HG-XI.jpg

If I wanted to beat an MLS team on any given day I probably wouldn't start two defenders from Toronto but that's just me...

- With Yannick Djalo still "day-to-day," San Jose Earthquakes frustrated with his inability to stay healthy

No kidding.
“You do your work as best as possible,” Watson said in defending the Quakes’ decision to depend on Djalo. “Obviously, he had some injuries before, but he also had a bunch of great runs of games. There’s a certain element of risk with any player. With Matias, we weren’t aware of any major injuries [in his past], and he got hurt in the second game he played for us.

“It’s been frustrating because [Djalo] is a very influential player for us. Having him out of the team has been difficult for us. He just gives us that little bit of quality, that little bit of pace. And that’s something this team needs.”

A return from Djalo before the end of this season could be important, even if only to show the club one final time what a difference he can make. Quakes president David Kaval told MLSsoccer.com Wednesday that conversations between Benfica and San Jose “are ongoing and probably will stretch into the offseason, in terms of determining what role [Djalo] has here with the club.”
Can't imagine the Quakes hang onto him with his recent physical problems, but the club has a bad track record of signing injury-prone players and perhaps they'll bite anyway.

xbhaskarx

Merritt Paulson Tweets USL Pro, Academy Info
A potential USL Pro affiliate has been hinted at for some time now, with Paulson in particular mentioning it several times over the last few months. Today an enterprising twitter user, @steeple3k, asked him directly about the project.

@steeple3k mid Oct presser
— Merritt Paulson (@MerrittPaulson) September 25, 2014

@steeple3k expect: 1) name; 2) crest; 3) venue; 4) unique founding support program; and (maybe) 5) head coach to be announced
— Merritt Paulson (@MerrittPaulson) September 25, 2014

They did a good job with the Portland Thorns, so I'm guessing this will be something better than the equivalent of LA Galaxy II.

Nyx

He played the full 90 minutes and should have scored at least 1 goal. (he was 6-8 yards from the goal with only the goalkeeper to beat, but instead of choosing a corner he shot too anxious and it went straight at the goalkeeper)

He doesn't seem to be the player for the position he is in right now, he is used as a targetman in a 433 lineup but he doesn't have the strength for that yet, and he likes to move into channels a lot meaning he is asking for the ball while he is on the left or right side of the pitch but then nobody is in front of the goal.

But then again, he is 18 years old so I don't blame him.

He played the full 90 minutes and should have scored at least 1 goal. (he was 6-8 yards from the goal with only the goalkeeper to beat, but instead of choosing a corner he shot too anxious and it went straight at the goalkeeper)

He doesn't seem to be the player for the position he is in right now, he is used as a targetman in a 433 lineup but he doesn't have the strength for that yet, and he likes to move into channels a lot meaning he is asking for the ball while he is on the left or right side of the pitch but then nobody is in front of the goal.

But then again, he is 18 years old so I don't blame him.
Thanks for the update and analysis. Since he's still pretty young, I don't mind him playing somewhat out of positions and picking up experience. Good to see him getting significant time this season, and hopefully he develops a lot because of it.

xbhaskarx

Saturday’s Republic FC game is the hottest ticket in town

They may be a third-tier team playing one of this country’s second-tier sports, but good luck trying to get a ticket to their championship game.

The 8,000 tickets available for the Sacramento Republic FC’s match Saturday against the Harrisburg City Islanders from Pennsylvania were snapped up in minutes, putting the game in competition with the city’s Farm-to-Fork dinner on the Tower Bridge on Sunday for having the hottest ticket in town.

Those who failed to snag a ticket to soccer’s USL Pro championship match, which starts at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Bonney Field in Cal Expo, can still watch it on local Channel 31.

The least-expensive game ticket on resale site StubHub was selling for $105 Thursday afternoon, a 320 percent markup from its $25 face value. The most expensive ticket was listed at $300. The average price of resale tickets was $166.

The sharp demand for Republic tickets contrasts with the tepid market for Sacramento Kings games in recent years, with unwanted tickets sometimes dumped for as little as $2.

The team’s booster group – the Tower Bridge Battalion – offered to give tickets to fans who would willingly be tattooed with the group’s logo.

The group, which was also willing to pay the price of the tattoo, quickly found more takers than tickets.

Bjork said there was plenty of evidence, dating back to when the team packed Hughes Stadium with 20,000 fans earlier this year to start its inaugural season, that there would be more demand for tickets for the championship game than could fit in the new, smaller stadium. After four matches at Hughes, which doesn’t have the proper dimensions for soccer, the team moved to 8,000-seat Bonney Field at Cal Expo.

“We really do feel like we could have sold 20,000, 25,000, 30,000 tickets,” Bjork said. “Our phones have been ringing off the hook.”

xbhaskarx

Isn't it being held in the US? It'd be pretty dumb if they didn't honor the dates.

Yeah. Considering they do for both Gold Cups, I'm sure they will. This will be the biggest soccer tournament in the US since the 94 World Cup.

I don't think this has been posted

2014 USL PRO All-League First Team

GK – John McCarthy, Rochester Rhinos
D – Luke Boden, Orlando City
D – Ashani Fairclough, Wilmington Hammerheads
D – Nemanja Vukovic, Sacramento Republic
D – William Yomby, Richmond Kickers
MF – George Davis, Richmond Kickers
MF – Rodrigo Lopez, Sacramento Republic
MF – Kevin Molino, Orlando City
F – Matthew Delicâte, Richmond Kickers
F – Chandler Hoffman, LA Galaxy II
F – Dane Kelly, Charleston Battery

2014 USL PRO All-League Second Team

GK – Joe Willis, Richmond Kickers
D – Matt Bahner, Harrisburg City Islanders
D – Gareth Evans, Oklahoma City Energy
D – Brad Rusin, Orlando City
D – Daniel Steres, LA Galaxy II
MF – Andre Auras, LA Galaxy II
MF – Jorge Herrera, Charlotte Eagles
MF – Allan Russell, Orange County Blues
F – J.C. Banks, Rochester Rhinos
F – Aaron Schoenfeld, Dayton Dutch Lions
F – Long Tan, Arizona United

USL PRO Awards Winners Announced

It'll be interesting to see how Kevin Molino does in MLS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom