• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Toronto up 1-0... it's not going to matter because Columbus is playing too well to get zero points from their two games, but at least they haven't given up.

Nice goal from Felipe makes it 1-1...

xbhaskarx

Long-form article on Bradley's time in Norway:

- ‘THAT’S FOOTBALL’

Just now reading this...

Then, a bearded middle-aged man with John Lennon-esque glasses, a laptop under his arm and wearing a stars-and-stripes bandana walked into the gym — this “gym” being nothing more than a concrete section under the stands with a few mirrors, a bike, one Olympic weight rack and a few dumbbells. He and Bob chatted about the recent U.S. national team roster Jurgen Klinsmann had released with his 30-man squad in camp ahead of the World Cup. I sat there listening to Bradley and this other man dissecting who was in and who was out. Then, Bob introduced me to the man with the bandana, who happened to be the father of U.S. international midfielder Mix Diskerud. The American influence is strong at Stabæk, as Mix had played for Stabæk before leaving for Norwegian giants Rosenborg in 2012. Bradley’s first dealings with Stabæk came on scouting trips to Europe when he took in games Diskerud was playing in, so, in a roundabout way, Mix played a big part in where Bradley is now.

the now infamous (at least in Columbus) Paal Diskerud makes an apearance!

Azuran

Banned
You know, guys TFC's season wouldn't have been such a disappointment if Leiweke hadn't opened his big yap up and promised playoffs at the start of the season. Even with 3 new DPs and millions of dollar spent, there was still a lot of factors at play. There was certainly improvement from past seasons, that's for sure, for but that's not really saying much. Also, DC going from last to first in one season certainly didn't help.

Also, firing Nelsen midway through the season was stupid. Vanney didn't change anything at all and we actually played worse right at the end.

Oh well, ninth time's the charm, right? :/

Azuran

Banned
Who was Toronto's third DP? Gilberto?

Yup. He obviously has talent, but the DP tag on him will certainly won't shield him from any criticism. Oh well, knowing how it always goes with TFC, we'll probably get rid of him for nothing and he'll end up being a star in another team just like with Plata and Silva.

Yup. He obviously has talent, but the DP tag on him will certainly won't shield him from any criticism. Oh well, knowing how it always goes with TFC, we'll probably get rid of him for nothing and he'll end up being a star in another team just like with Plata and Silva.

I really hope they don't implode the team and start fresh again. They have a good foundation to build from, just some different pieces would be nice.

UncleO

What a great night down at PPL. I hope we can keep this midfield together next year. Now all we need is a legit goal scorer. Preferably one that is not on the tail end of his career.

What a great night down at PPL. I hope we can keep this midfield together next year. Now all we need is a legit goal scorer. Preferably one that is not on the tail end of his career.

Ideally we could get a good striker in the offseason buuuut knowing how the FO is, the team will be "good as is" and we're stuck with being almost but not quite above mediocre.

edit:

B0RPSAYIIAAHPhV.jpg

coR3WjVl.jpg

Banners against Sak

These were apparently confiscated too.

Dartastic

Don't expect too much from them or you'll be disappointed, maybe a 0-0 draw.

I'm conflicted, I'd rather see the Timbers in the playoffs but I also want a high superdraft (and potential Chivas dispersal draft) pick for the Quakes...
I didn't expect much, and that's exactly what I got. Ugh. At least if the Quakes won we would have held our playoff destiny in our hands... I really don't see how Colorado will even pull out a tie with Vancouver.

Hey Eddie Johnson has looked good two games in a row! That's something we haven't been able to say for over a year.

Super pumped for Sounders Galaxy tomorrow. Hope it lives up and Seattle can steal a point.

xbhaskarx

Okay time to call up Ethan Finlay to January camp... 0 goals and 0 assists in his first two seasons (although it looks like Robert Warzycha pretty much never played him), 11 and 6 this season.

xbhaskarx

I was wondering how that compared to Brek Shea's MVP candidate season in 2011 (I guess because they're both wingers born in 1990):

Shea 2011: 31 games (30 started), 2647 minutes, 11 goals, 4 assists
Finlay 2014: 28 games (20 started), 1833 minutes, 11 goals, 6 assists

xbhaskarx

1 goal 2 assists today...
I was wondering how that compared to Brek Shea's MVP candidate season in 2011 (I guess because they're both wingers born in 1990):

Shea 2011: 31 games (30 started), 2647 minutes, 11 goals, 4 assists
Finlay 2014: 28 games (20 started), 1833 minutes, 11 goals, 7 assists
fixed.

Ortix

Banned
What are you guys thinking about the Galaxy - Sounders match? Seattle win is @ 4,5 on unibet, was thinking about putting a buck on that.

xbhaskarx

I can't really see the Sounders winning in LA given the recent history between the two teams and how the Galaxy are playing right now, especially when just a draw would be pretty huge for Seattle, but you never know in MLS.

Cystm

Keane vs Obafemi. I'm looking forward to this game.

BWP is my MVP, but it is going top be good to see these guys paying against each other.

xbhaskarx

Apparently Henry was impressed by Wil Trapp... postgame interview:

"Wil Trapp was fantastic today. Will Trapp is the key of that team.” -Thierry Henry

Even in defeat, Thierry Henry remains the GOAT. When asked about Tony Tchani today: "Oh, great player. But again, Wil Trapp. WIL TRAPP."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom