• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

I want to vomit. That was such a shit show. Ugh. Where do I begin? At a bare minimum, I now am 100% sure of what players I want to see bounced next year...

Cystm

This is who I think needs to move on from Portland.

Defenders
Liam Ridgewell: for me is the weakest link on defense. Every Timbers game I have watched he is making at least one mistake that puts his team in a bad way.

Jack Jewsbury: Played 19 games and has committed 17 fouls this season. Good guy, and I loved him on the Wizards, but it's time to hang them up.

Donovan Ricketts: While not the weakest link.. I would like to see Jake Gleeson take over.
I would probably drink his bath water if asked. Look at this dude:

ihhsoVhEK2mW2.jpg

Midfield
Diego Chara: Sixth in the League in Cards, and dude is mediocre at best.

Forward

Gastón Fernández: 7 goals in 31 games is not going to cut it.

Ortix

Banned

Defenders
Liam Ridgewell: for me is the weakest link on defense. Every Timbers game I have watched he is making at least one mistake that puts his team in a bad way.

Jack Jewsbury: Played 19 games and has committed 17 fouls this season. Good guy, and I loved him on the Wizards, but it's time to hang them up.

Donovan Ricketts: While not the weakest link.. I would like to see Jake Gleeson take over.

Midfield

Forward

I only started following Portland in July, and haven't seen every match, but I think Chara has been really useful at times. Fernandez too. He's an AM, scoring goals isn't what he's in the team for. He is getting a bit old though.
I don't think Ridgewell is the only one too blame for the defensive blunders, but same as Fernandez, he's getting old, so selling him might be the best option. Agree about the rest.

There will be some gaps to fill though. Mostly defenders.

Askani

Portland Timbers Owner Tells Timbers Army “STFU”: http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/por...ortland-timbers-owner-tells-timbers-army-stfu

On one hand, it's good for Supporter's to ask questions of their club. And it's fantastic that you can actually connect with ownership. However that shouldn't have come from the Supporters Group account. Keep that stuff to your personal account. While he could have handled it better, kudos to Paulson for caring enough to fire back and get angry. He should be angry.

Dartastic

Which ones?
O'Rourke, Kalif, Harrington. For sure. They were all an absolute dumpster fire last night. Zakuani is a given at this point. I think Kah probably needs to go too, even though he didn't start last night. I wouldn't be sad to see Paparatto go either.

Defenders

Midfield

Forward

Ridgewell has turned our defense from a dumpster fire to passable. No way he's leaving. He's the best player in the back 4.

Jewsbury I could see leaving, but at a bare minimum he's SMART and doesn't turn the ball over. He gets beaten with pace, sure, but at least he's smart. I would much rather have seen him last night instead of O'Rourke, but due to yellow card accumulation he couldn't play. He is getting old though, which is why I could see him leaving.

Ricketts I agree with. I think he's getting old... and Ricketty.

I COULD NOT DISAGREE WITH YOU MORE about Chara. Dude isn't mediocre at all, he's a beast. He never gives up, and wins balls ALL. DAY. LONG. I think in the RSL game he had something like, 14 recoveries in the first half? That's an insane stat. Absolutely MONSTER insane stat. Dude is an integral part of our midfield.

Fernandez, yeah, maybe. He gives us some depth and isn't super expensive ssooooo yeah. I'd keep him, personally.
I only started following Portland in July, and haven't seen every match, but I think Chara has been really useful at times. Fernandez too. He's an AM, scoring goals isn't what he's in the team for. He is getting a bit old though.
I don't think Ridgewell is the only one too blame for the defensive blunders, but same as Fernandez, he's getting old, so selling him might be the best option. Agree about the rest.

There will be some gaps to fill though. Mostly defenders.
Defenders. Yeah. That. Ugh. We need those. We need a new CB to pair with Ridgy, and probably a new RB or LB. Or both. I also think we could use someone else in our midfield just in case Will Johnson can't recover well.
Portland Timbers Owner Tells Timbers Army “STFU”: http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/por...ortland-timbers-owner-tells-timbers-army-stfu

On one hand, it's good for Supporter's to ask questions of their club. And it's fantastic that you can actually connect with ownership. However that shouldn't have come from the Supporters Group account. Keep that stuff to your personal account. While he could have handled it better, kudos to Paulson for caring enough to fire back and get angry. He should be angry.
The TA account was a mess last night. It certainly doesn't speak for me. Whoever was running it shouldn't be in charge of it.

xbhaskarx

When Philly signed Mbolhi I thought Portland should have traded for Blake. Have him back up Ricketts for the rest of the year and then take over in 2015. Gleeson did well with Sac Republic, though, maybe they'll give him a shot next season.

I don't get Jack Jewsbury, not sure what the Timbers ever saw in him...

xbhaskarx

U.S. U-18 coach Perez names 36-player roster for week-long training camp

Head coach Javier Perez has called in a 36-player roster ahead of the camp, which is set to take place from Oct. 23-31 at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, California. Every player selected by Perez is born in 1997, signaling a focus on the upcoming qualification for the 2017 U-20 World Cup.

Among the players selected, all but one player is registered with Development Academy clubs, while every player currently has ties to an Academy club. Headlining the roster are five players with ties to the LA Galaxy, as well as four players affiliated with each of Real Salt Lake AZ and Chicago Magic PSG.

Roster by Position:

GOALKEEPERS (4): Konrad Dziedzic (Chicago Magic PSG; Schiller Park, Ill.), Etan Marbourakh (Weston FC; Plantation, Fla.), Bennett Sneddon (LA Galaxy; Encino, Calif.), Mason Stajduhar (Orlando City SC; Lithia, Fla.)

DEFENDERS (11): Gavin Barger (Baltimore Celtic SC; Fallston, Md.), Nigel Blackwood (Georgia United; Marietta, Ga.), Sean Dedrick (BSC CT; Wilton, Conn.), Nicholas Hinds (Kendall SC; Plantation, Fla.), Elan Koenig (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Andrew Lombard (New York Red Bulls; Montclair, N.J.), Michael Lopez (LA Galaxy; Cypress, Calif.), Donald Mason (CASL; Raleigh, N.C.), Diego Silva (Real Salt Lake AZ; Layton, Utah), Alex Vigliotti (Oakwood SC; Branford, Conn.), Aidan Wixted (Orlando City SC; Melbourne, Fla.)

MIDFIELDERS (12): Danilo Acosta (Real Salt Lake AZ; Sandy, Utah), Amir Bashti (San Jose Earthquakes; Cupertino, Calif.), Michael Boakye (Oakwood Soccer Club; East Hartford, Conn.), Juan Gamino Jr. (Kendall SC; Homestead, Fla.), Jeremiah Gutjahr (Indiana Fire; Bloomington, Ind.), Jack Miler (Minnesota Thunder; Lakeville, Minn.), James Murphy (PDA; Scotch Plains, N.J.), Stephen Payne (Chicago Magic PSG; Birmingham, Ala.), Jesus Perez Jr. (Chicago Magic PSG; Waukegan, Ill.), Grzegorz Solawa (Chicago Magic PSG; Niles, Ill.), Evan Waldrep (Real Salt Lake AZ; Peoria, Ariz.), Eryk Williamson (D.C. United; Alexandria, Va.)

FORWARDS (9): Aaron Hererra (Real Salt Lake AZ; Las Cruces, N.M.), Robert Knights (LA Galaxy; Bristol, England), Lucas Mendes (D.C. United; Washington, D.C.), Nebojsa Popovic (Vardar SC; Loznica, Serbia), Christian Ramirez (FC Dallas; Farmers Branch, Texas), DJ Reeves (D.C. United; Ashton, Md.), Juan Sanchez (New York Red Bulls; Ossining, N.Y.), Ryan Sierakowski (Chicago Fire; McHenry, Ill.), Adrian Vera (LA Galaxy; Norwalk, Calif.)

xbhaskarx

Ives: The MLS Under-23 Best XI

ZAC MACMATH, Philadelphia Union
Honorable Mention- Jon Kempin (Sporting Kansas City)

DEANDRE YEDLIN, Seattle Sounders
Honorable Mention- Andrew Farrell (New England Revolution)

STEVE BIRNBAUM, D.C. United
Honorable Mention- Carlos Salcedo (Real Salt Lake)

AMOBI OKUGO, Philadelphia Union
Honorable Mention- Kofi Sarkodie (Houston Dynamo)

WIL TRAPP, Columbus Cew
Honorable Mention- Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake)

PERRY KITCHEN, D.C. United
Honorable Mention- Victor Ulloa (FC Dallas)

MATIAS LABA, Vancouver Whitecaps
Honorable Mention- Jonathan Osorio (Toronto FC)

JOAO PLATA, Real Salt Lake
Honorable Mention- Tesho Akindele (FC Dallas)

HARRISON SHIPP, Chicago Fire
Honorable Mention- Dillon Powers (Colorado Rapids)

FABIAN CASTILLO, FC Dallas
Honorable Mention- Kelyn Rowe (New England Revolution)

GYASI ZARDES, LA Galaxy
Honorable Mention- Jack McInerney (Montreal Impact)

ERICK TORRES, Chivas USA
Honorable Mention- Maximiliano Urruti (Portland Timbers)

Here are some of the players who barely missed the cut:

MLS Under-23 Best XI (Best of the Rest)

Andre Blake, Eric Miller, Shane O’Neill, Doneil Henry, Igor Juliao, Chris Duvall, Dillon Serna, Diego Fagundez, Patrick Mullins, Kekuta Manneh.

————-

As you may have guessed, Zac MacMath was the only goalkeeper born in 1991 or earlier to earn any sort of significant playing time in 2014, which is why Jon Kempin and Andre Blake were mentioned.

There are plenty of talented young players who showed some great potential in limited minutes in 2014, such as Tommy Thompson, Marlon Hairston, Alvas Powell, and then you have someone like Mauro Diaz, who was on his way to a dream season with FC Dallas before having 2014 derailed by injuries.

Not sure how Shane O'Neill doesn't make it until "best of the rest"...

xbhaskarx

MLS, US Soccer partner with IMG to market media rights until 2022

Major League Soccer (MLS) and U.S. Soccer have partnered with IMG, a global leader in sport and entertainment, to market and distribute global media rights for the two soccer organizations for the next eight years.

The long-term agreement, from 2015-2022, includes MLS and U.S. Men’s and Women’s National Team matches played on American soil, as well as qualifying games for two World Cup cycles. It excludes media rights within the U.S. and Canada.

IMG will market the rights across all platforms including digital and gaming.

The deal was completed between IMG and Soccer United Marketing (SUM), which represents MLS and U.S. Soccer’s commercial rights.

"As Major League Soccer approaches its 20th season, the worldwide interest in the league is at an all-time high and growing dramatically,” said Gary Stevenson, President and Managing Director, MLS Business Ventures. “With two new expansion clubs in New York and Orlando, global stars like David Villa, Frank Lampard and Kaka set to join the league, and players representing almost 60 countries, 2015 will be an exciting year for MLS. IMG’s expertise and unique position in the global marketplace make them the right partner for us and together we’ll grow the league's global footprint.”

“We have a large number of fans who live outside the United States, and with the team’s performance in the 2014 World Cup we’ve brought in additional new fans,” said U.S. Soccer CEO/Secretary General Dan Flynn. “It is important for us to provide them with access to our matches. We are excited to be working with IMG to ensure we are connecting with our fans across the world in the coming years.”

Cystm

Ridgewell has turned our defense from a dumpster fire to passable. No way he's leaving. He's the best player in the back 4.

Jewsbury I could see leaving, but at a bare minimum he's SMART and doesn't turn the ball over. He gets beaten with pace, sure, but at least he's smart. I would much rather have seen him last night instead of O'Rourke, but due to yellow card accumulation he couldn't play. He is getting old though, which is why I could see him leaving.

Ricketts I agree with. I think he's getting old... and Ricketty.

I COULD NOT DISAGREE WITH YOU MORE about Chara. Dude isn't mediocre at all, he's a beast. He never gives up, and wins balls ALL. DAY. LONG. I think in the RSL game he had something like, 14 recoveries in the first half? That's an insane stat. Absolutely MONSTER insane stat. Dude is an integral part of our midfield.

Fernandez, yeah, maybe. He gives us some depth and isn't super expensive ssooooo yeah. I'd keep him, personally.

Ridgewell and the whole back line are just awful, awful defenders.

You are right about Chara, I am just flat out wrong about that guy.

xbhaskarx

TopDrawerSoccer: Where Are They Now: The 2013 U.S. U20 World Cup Team

D Javan Torre, UCLA: If Torre’s selection to this roster was a surprise, then his role in 2013 was an out-and-out shock. He was primarily a backup center back at UCLA at the time (and, I should note, little’s changed on that score since), and he looked it during the tournament, where he somehow got 180 minutes before being benched for the finale. Nobody’s saying a professional career definitively does not await Torre, but a senior national team career? Nothing’s suggested that yet.

Still can't believe Tab Ramos started a backup CB from UCLA.....

Cat Party

Timbers fan, checking in to lament.

The Timbers defensive woes are not just a product of poor play by the back four. The midfield has struggled mightily this year. So many of the goals conceded, especially the heart breaking ones, have been on rushes that last year's team didn't allow.

It's not something that I can pin on any one player. The tactics that worked so well last year have been solved, and Porter couldn't make the adjustments. Though I do think Kah and Harrington have just not been good this year. I don't expect them back.

- LA Galaxy and AEG invest over $15 million dollars into StubHub Center
As part of improvements to the fan experience at StubHub Center, the club will build a 5,100 square foot LED video board above the berm behind the North goal. The video board will be the largest in MLS and will rival most NFL video boards in size and resolution. The Galaxy will further brand StubHub Center, including dedicated merchandise stores, the concourse, player tunnel and surrounding walls on the outside of the stadium.

“These additional resources and investments speak to Mr. Anschutz’s and AEG’s continued commitment to the Galaxy, our first team, our facility, our player development program, and our fans” said Chris Klein, President of the LA Galaxy. “These innovations place the Galaxy at the forefront of player development and fan experience. The commitment to our fans includes a 14% average decrease in 2015 Season Ticket prices. This well-rounded investment maintains the LA Galaxy’s status as the best club in North America, on and off the field.”

The Galaxy’s investment into player development will continue as the club will renovate the stadium to include additional first team training facilities and dedicated locker rooms, treatment facilities and training fields for LA Galaxy II and the Galaxy Academy. StubHub Center will house dedicated locker rooms for Academy U-14, U-16 and U-18 programs. The player development training facilities will be concurrent with that of the Galaxy first team, allowing youth players to play and develop amidst the most professional environment possible.

Meier

Didn't realize there was a game yesterday.. Plata on my bench and didn't get to use my wildcard. I was gonna have fun and overhaul the team. Ahh well.

Osorio

Those ticket prices have been a long time coming. They had Beckham days prices after he left. Surely they're the most successful squad in the league's history but the market still seems skewed to a younger audience.

xbhaskarx

Armchair Analyst: On the evolution of the game in MLS

Here's the lede to one of the first stories I wrote for this website:
Tactically, 2010 in MLS will probably be remembered as “The Year of the Counterattack.” Perhaps it’s from the ever-increasing influence of the British game. Or perhaps it’s the residual impact of the US national team’s memorable string of counterattack goals in the 2009 Confederations Cup and 2010 World Cup.

Whatever the root cause, the effect was a year of vicious pressing and transition, characterized by tireless midfielders and center forwards who did more work bringing others into the play than they seemed to for themselves. Teams that couldn’t threaten in transition pretty much didn’t threaten at all.

I wrote that at the start of the 2011 season. At the time, MLS was coming off the lowest-scoring year in league history, and Real Salt Lake were an absolute outlier in how they valued the ball and used possession as a cudgel both in attack and defense. They were a lot of fun to watch. The rest of the league? Less so.

Slowly and surely, over the last four years, most of MLS has followed RSL's lead. The league as a whole is significantly less direct in 2014, as these numbers pulled by Alex Olshansky of TempoFreeSoccer - one of the most essential blogs out there - illustrate:

MLS v EPL passing style (2011-2014). Teams both sides of pond becoming less direct

A few things to notice:

1. The Fire are last in the league in passes per possession (PPP) in 2014, at 2.50. In 2011, that would have put them 4th in MLS.
  2. The 2011 RSL team averaged 2.83 PPP, leading the league. That's good for 12th in 2014.
  3. Of the top three MLS teams in PPP (LA, CLB, RSL), 29 of 33 starters were on the club's roster in 2013. Continuity matters.
  4. The correlation between high PPP and winning soccer seems to be getting stronger (need more data!)

There is also a nod to parity here. MLS teams, good and bad, have seen their PPP increase at a fairly uniform rate throughout the table.

It's more stratified in the EPL, with the good-to-great teams making huge jumps, while the bottom of the table PPP teams have seen a more measured increase. That's because the talent gap between Manchester City and Crystal Palace is larger than the talent gap between the Galaxy and the Fire.

Very cool.

It's interesting that the English game, and, by proxy, the U.S. game are moving toward a more possession oriented game when the rest of the continental giants are moving away from it.

Askani

SKC is about to get booted out of CCL too. Two first half injuries. Bad plays. Bad passes. Bad defending. Bad goalkeeping. Bad everything.

Nesotenso

SKC is about to get booted out of CCL too. Two first half injuries. Bad plays. Bad passes. Bad defending. Bad goalkeeping. Bad everything.

we are bad team but this CONCACAF tournament shows how bad MLS is away from home and how far it has to go as a league.

Don't tell Garber that though.....

Classic mls.

Although to be fair Mexico is having a bad showing this year. Not that they won't win again, but it won't be an all Mexico semifinal

Nesotenso

MLS sides are filled with too many mediocre to bad players. The depth we have as the top division in this country is just horrendous. Many of these guys don't belong even in the third division in most nations.

But Garber can't bear to hear that. It hurts people's feelings or something...

ZZMitch

Go DCU, I guess...

MLS teams are never gunna win down in Mexico/central America if they don't commit more regular starters to those games. Watching dudes like Lawrence Olum get beat over and over again is no fun. I wish more teams without any chance of being in the playoffs (like MTL) somehow snuck into CCL :p

MLS sides are filled with too many mediocre to bad players. The depth we have as the top division in this country is just horrendous. Many of these guys don't belong even in the third division in most nations.

But Garber can't bear to hear that. It hurts people's feelings or something...

Hopefully a salary cap increase could alleviate the depth problem, even if only a little.

xbhaskarx

Considering Kansas City has only beaten three MLS teams since July, and those were Toronto, Chivas, and Chicago, I'm not sure what their performance says about the state of MLS as a whole... maybe it just means that KC are shit?

Nesotenso

Hopefully a salary cap increase could alleviate the depth problem, even if only a little.

we have guys like Olum, Peterson, Sapong on our roster. These guys would never make it to the third divisions in most nations.

Considering Kansas City has only beaten three MLS teams since July, and those were Toronto, Chivas, and Chicago, I'm not sure what their performance says about the state of MLS as a whole... maybe it just means that KC are shit?

we are bad. we have injuries. but MLS squads reduced to their second choice players would suffer the same fate. But sure, everything is hunky dory. Garber sure believes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom