• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

He's going to play in Tijuana.under a different name

obligatory
20100121_093233_landon_donovan_2_300.jpg

Cystm

What are the chances Vancouver will lose to Colorado and Portland will beat FC Dallas?

Diego Valeri is too good not to be in the play offs.

Ortix

Banned
What are the chances Vancouver will lose to Colorado and Portland will beat FC Dallas?

Diego Valeri is too good not to be in the play offs.

Isn't it enough for Portland to get a draw if Vancouver lose? 1 point behind with a better goal difference. Not familiar with MLS rules.

Don't think Vancouver will lose though.

Shame Seattle didn't lose, but I got my bet.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Isn't it enough for Portland to get a draw if Vancouver lose? 1 point behind with a better goal difference. Not familiar with MLS rules.

Don't think Vancouver will lose though.

Shame Seattle didn't lose, but I got my bet.

Number of wins is the first tie breaker. I think goal differential is right after that.

Ortix

Banned
Number of wins is the first tie breaker. I think goal differential is right after that.

yep, had a look at the rules:

1. Total number of wins
2. Goal Differential (GD)
3. Goals For (GF)
4. Fewest Disciplinary Points
5. Road Goals Differential
6. Road Goal For
7. Home Goals Differential
8. Home Goal For
9. Coin Toss (2 clubs) or Drawing of Lots (3 or more)

Both teams have 11 wins but Portland has a better GD, so if they end up with the same amount of points, Portland will qualify. In short, Portland has to do better than Vancouver to qualify.

Dartastic

yep, had a look at the rules:

Both teams have 11 wins but Portland has a better GD, so if they end up with the same amount of points, Portland will qualify. In short, Portland has to do better than Vancouver to qualify.
Yep. At this point, we need a tie and Vancouver needs to lose, or we need a win and Vancouver needs to tie or lose. However, Colorado is a fucking mess right now so that really doesn't bode well. To be honest, it really is our fault. We've dropped points all season. Winless in the first eight games of the season, as well as that monumental collapse against Toronto a few games ago, as well as that ridiculous 3-3 tie against San Jose. If we don't make the playoffs it's our own doing. That being said, I think we are good enough to deserve to be there, but thems the breaks.

UncleO

Ideally we could get a good striker in the offseason buuuut knowing how the FO is, the team will be "good as is" and we're stuck with being almost but not quite above mediocre.

edit:

B0RPSAYIIAAHPhV.jpg

coR3WjVl.jpg

Banners against Sak

These were apparently confiscated too.

Ive heard rumblings about banners being taken. Oh Nicky Sak you fool. I want them to address striker and our depth on the bench. Im assuming so much is hinging on the new CBA. hopefully MLS decides to put their big boy pants on and raise the Salary cap by a significant margin. I find it hard to believe that a $10 million a year salary cap would hurt the bottom line that much around the league. Could you imagine the roster depth that could be had with a cap at that size? One can dream....

xbhaskarx

Source: N.Y. Cosmos agree to terms with Spanish striker Raul

The New York Cosmos have agreed on contract terms with former Real Madrid and Spain striker Raul, a source with knowledge of the negotiations told ESPNFC.com.

The Spanish icon is expected to sign the contract as soon as this week and will join the NASL club in time for the 2015 spring season. He will also head up the Cosmos' youth academy, which is expected to launch next year. While Raul's exact salary is not known, the source said that the player has signed a multi-year deal.

Raul, 37, made 102 appearances for Spain, and his 44 goals are second all-time behind David Villa. He has spent the bulk of his club career with Real Madrid, and is the club's all-time leading scorer, tallying 323 times in all competitions.

Arials

I thought Raul had already retired, looking on his wiki page and he basically did retire in 2012 and then he announced his official retirement in March of this year. He'll have little on pitch involvement I suspect. Wonder how many of his coaching badges he's done...

Soccer Insider said:
USSF in talks with another federation about #usmnt friendly in Europe around date of proposed/failed Croatia game. Deal possible this week

If deal reached, #usmnt will end up facing quality team at neutral venue ~Nov 12 in England, I'm told.

xbhaskarx

North American Soccer is the Florida of the Soccer world.

Let's just keep that stereotype rolling!

SMH.

What kind of player do you expect a second division American team (in a country with no promotion / relegation and on a team with no plans to join MLS via expansion) to be able to sign?

Cystm

What kind of player do you expect a second division American team (in a country with no promotion / relegation and on a team with no plans to join MLS via expansion) to be able to sign?

They did not sign him because there was no one else. He is a sideshow attraction to hopefully put butts in seats on name alone. It does nothing but further facilitate the established stereotype that the US is a retirement home for European Footballers and nothing more.

The cost is not worth what they are getting.

xbhaskarx

Cameron, Boyd, Brooks All Return to First-Team Action

Rubio Rubin gets vote of confidence

It's not often you hear foreign managers rave about American teenagers but that is exactly what Utrecht manager Rob Alflen did.

“Rubio is a typical American striker," Alflen said. “And with that I mean that he moves around the field a lot and covers big distances every single game. He’s way different than, for example, Dutchman Ruud Boymans, one of our other strikers.”

“That’s the role he had in our games against FC Twente and Go Ahead Eagles. I don’t consider Rubio a No. 9 or a No. 10 but more like a No. 9.5, as he can play on both positions....It is incredible what Rubio, being just 18 years old, already shows on the pitch and so is the progress he makes. Rubio is a man on a mission. He walks around like he is already 25 years old—very impressive.”

Utrecht defeated FC Dordrecht by 3-1 margin on Sunday. Rubin started and played 56 minutes.

xbhaskarx

U.S. U-17 coach Williams pleased with Panama U-17 Tournament title

Outside of bringing home silverware though, perhaps the most important takeaway for Williams from this tournament is that he was able to incorporate some of his foreign-based players into the squad.

As U.S. Under-20 head coach Tab Ramos recently revealed, once players sign contracts with a club, there’s a chance that the club won’t release the player for international duty in a friendly tournament.

Luckily for Williams he was able to bring in players such as defender Daniel Barbir, Luca De La Torre, and Josh Perez, all of whom are based in Europe, to develop chemistry with the players based in U.S. Soccer residency in Bradenton, Fla. or based at other clubs around the country.

A fourth, Vitesse forward Kai Koreniuk, who holds dual American and Dutch nationality, suffered an injury just prior to the tournament and was forced to withdraw. However, Williams sees a promising future in the Florida native, viewing him as a possible replacement or backup for Joe Gallardo, who is still recovering from a broken leg suffered last July.

Williams said he hoped that Gallardo would be able to join the squad again in December, but until that time, he’s still auditioning players for the team’s starting target forward role.

“With Joe Gallardo being injured as our center forward, we wanted to bring in Kai Koreniuk,” Williams said. “Kai unfortunately got injured a day or two before we went, but we still want to bring him in for the Nike Friendlies in the next couple months, just in case Joe’s not back for us.

“We have played Haji Wright as the No. 9 and we actually have played Alejandro Zendejas as a No. 9. So we wanted to look at Kai and unfortunately we didn’t have the opportunity. He hasn’t been with us as much (due to injury), but hopefully in the next couple of months he will.”

With World Cup qualifying approaching quickly over the horizon, the U.S. U-17′s day to day focus turns to putting together a squad of 20-players to head to San Pedro Sula from Feb. 27-Mar. 14 for the all-important tournament.

Nyx

Our coach does need to make a decision on where he wants Rubin to play.
He started as a right winger on Sunday but that is clearly not his best position while he excelled in the previous match as a ''10''. (behind a striker)

Problem is, that ''10'' position if for our teamcaptain, who doesn't impress this season but also probably won't be benched.

If I was coach, I'd bench the captain.

Askani

Get out of there, Jozy. I almost don't care where you go, just as long as you go someplace else: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2014/10/21/22020846.html

Sunderland players have offered ticket refunds to all 2,500 fans who made the long trip to watch their side's humiliating 8-0 thrashing at Southampton in the Premier League, club captain John O'Shea confirmed on Tuesday.

Some travelling fans had made over a 1,000 kilometres (621.37 miles) round trip from Sunderland's home in the northeast to witness the drubbing at the St. Mary's, on the south coast.

Goalkeeper Vito Mannone called on his team mates to reimburse supporters after the abject performance in which he said they had "thrown in the towel" and the squad have confirmed they are happy to oblige.

"We win and lose as a team, players, staff and fans, however we wanted to acknowledge and thank the supporters who travelled such a long way to give us their backing and despite everything, stayed with us until the final whistle," Sunderland captain John O'Shea said in a statement on the club's website (www.safc.com).

Players have offered to refund only the cost of each match ticket, costing 24 pounds ($38.71), and not the cost of travel for the Sunderland fans that made the trip.

For every fan that does not claim a refund, the squad will donate the cost of the match ticket to a local children's hospice.

Sunderland are 17th in the league with eight points from eight games and host Arsenal in the Premier League on Saturday.

Yanks abroad updates from Sciaretta:
Re: Diskerud's injury: I'm told he took a tough tackle in 5th min Sun. Tried to play on, it got worse so he was subbed out in 36th. He will do only gym training for 3 days - no running. Will be revaluated midweek before timetable given. It is possible that Diskerud will be ready for Rosenborg's next game on Saturday vs. Sandnes. More known, likely tomorrow or Thursday

I'm told that it is expected that Aron Johannsson will be in AZ Alkmaar's matchday roster for 1st time this season Saturday vs. Groningen

Rotherham United and Fulham are underway in the Championship. US U-20 mid Emerson Hyndman starting for Fulham #usmnt

Watford and Notthingham Forest have just kicked off. Illinois native Eric Lichaj starting for #NFFC

Blackburn hosting Birmingham City. 0-0 6th minute. Will Packwood on the bench for #BCFC, Adam Henley starting for #brfc. No Shea

xbhaskarx

Race heating up between two competing visions for Minnesota MLS team

The dial went up several notches earlier this month when multiple outlets reported a potential proposal being discussed between Minnesota United FC owner Bill McGuire, Twins owner Jim Pohlad, Wolves owner Glen Taylor and MLS commissioner Don Garber. Such a consortium of Minnesota bigwigs would enhance United's ability to privately finance a soccer-specific stadium and come up with the funds for expansion fees -- possibly in the $100 million neighborhood -- and other startup costs.

McGuire is worth $1.2 billion (as of 2006), the Pohlad family $3.6 billion (2008), and Taylor $2.2 billion (2014). Not only are they rich, but they're very well-connected, meaning they could team up and procure the private funds necessary to build yet another stadium in the Twin Cities; after helping fund the new Vikings Stadium, Target Field and renovations to the Target Center, local taxpayers aren't likely to support another venue with their own money.

According to Sports Illustrated, an investor in English Championship club Derby -- which United faced in a friendly in March -- also has joined McGuire's bid.

MLS is in search of one more market to round out expansion at 24 teams. Sacramento, San Antonio, St. Louis and San Diego are also in the running. A decision could come as early as December, when the MLS board is expected to meet with both Minnesota groups at the MLS Cup final. The Vikings are facing a time crunch; they'll soon have to decide whether to include reduction technology that "shrinks" the stadium.

xbhaskarx

American Exports: Eric Lichaj performs well in Nottingham Forest's comeback draw vs. Watford

A trio of Americans saw English Championship action on the road under the Tuesday night lights, with Eric Lichaj performing solidly at right back as Nottingham Forest fought back twice for a 2-2 share against Watford.

The Illinois native rang up six clearances and three tackles to go with a game-high four interceptions. Lichaj came close to setting up a late winner when his 86th minute combo with Britt Assombalonga saw the striker shoot over. With their seventh draw in 12 league games, Forest dropped one rung to fifth place.

Around the Championship, Fulham got 73 decent minutes of play from Emerson Hyndman in a wild 3-3 draw at Rotherham.

The youngster completed 29 of 31 passes, including a dangerous early cross that Cauley Woodrow fired wide. Hyndman left with the game tied at twos, and eventually Fulham required a last-minute equalizer from Dan Burn to grab the point. Though still in the bottom three on goal differential, the Cottagers have lost just once in their last five.

Tim Ream came on to work the final nine minutes at left back in Bolton's 2-1 defeat away to Charlton. Staying next-to-last in the table, Wanderers lost for the fifth time in six league games.

Elsewhere, Zak Whitbread watched on from the away dugout as Derby County moved into first place with a 1-0 victory at Blackpool, and Will Packwood did likewise as Birmingham City was left dangling over the drop zone by a 1-0 defeat at Blackburn.
29 of 31 passes, not bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom