• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

Sapong who would never make it to the third divisions in most nations... and yet he has two caps under Klinsmann!

after his rookie year, when he actually showed promise. I am guessing fans were clamoring for his inclusion back then as well.

but sure Klinsmann is clueless when he says that the MLS is a step down for a player. MLS sides sure showed him with the wonderful "talent" that occupy their rosters. Go to the bench and suddenly we are transported to another era of soccer...

after his rookie year, when he actually showed promise. I am guessing fans were clamoring for his inclusion back then as well.

yeah but TWO whole caps! Under Klinsmann! #fireKlinsmann

it's as if he was picked for his promise and dismissed when it turned out he sucked.

remember when Freddy Adu had all those caps, lol.

xbhaskarx

The more parity a league has, the tougher it's going to be for their teams to do well in Champions League, because a lot can change in MLS in a year. KC went from champs to currently being shit. NY went from shield winners to inconsistent. Portland's defense is terrible. Montreal is last in MLS in points. Only DC is currently good, and they were awful on a historical level when they qualified.
Of the seven teams that are playing the best right now (Seattle, LA, DC, RSL, NE, FCD, Columbus), only one is in CCL.
Would it be preferable to have the same five teams in four Champions League spots like England? Not if you're not a fan of one of those five teams.

2014: Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal
2013: Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal
2012: Man City, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea
2011: Man U, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal
2010: Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Tottenham
2009: Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal
2008: Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool
2007: Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal
2006: Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal

Nesotenso

yeah but TWO whole caps! Under Klinsmann! #fireKlinsmann

it's as if he was picked for his promise and dismissed when it turned out he sucked.

remember when Freddy Adu had all those caps, lol.

Bradley was a genius. He didn't criticize MLS as much (or maybe ever?) so he was all good.

The more parity a league has, the tougher it's going to be for their teams to do well in Champions League, because a lot can change in MLS in a year. KC went from champs to currently being shit. NY went from shield winners to inconsistent. Portland's defense is terrible. Montreal is last in MLS in points. Only DC is currently good, and they were awful on a historical level when they qualified.
Of the seven teams that are playing the best right now (Seattle, LA, DC, RSL, NE, FCD, Columbus), only one is in CCL.
Would it be preferable to have five teams battle it out for the top four Champions League spots like England? Not if you're not a fan of one of those five teams.

2014: Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal
2013: Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal
2012: Man City, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea
2011: Man U, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal
2010: Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Tottenham
2009: Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal
2008: Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool
2007: Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal
2006: Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal

Dortmund is now 14th in the league and has more wins in the UCL than the Bundesliga

Schalke is currently 9th and Leverkusen are 6th and both look like they'll make it out of their groups as well.

league competitiveness versus continental results is not an inverse relationship.

xbhaskarx

MLS ends this weekend, Bundesliga teams have played 8 games. Let's see where Dortmund and Schalke are in the standings when it matters...

Nesotenso

fuck the Champions league because we need parity.

wonder which teams will shit the bed next year because of parity.

Parity, what it means in MLS is that we have some shit guys on our roster.

Cystm

The fan base is not there yet to just let teams with more purchasing power unbalance the league. Half the league would go the way of the Chivas.

Brian Bilello @RevsPrez · 17h 17 hours ago
Looking like we're going over 30,000 on Saturday. May need to dust off the 200 level for this one.

Will be football lines though because the Pats play at home on Sunday. No lines for the playoff game because that's the Pats' bye

Not sure how much people should care though. What's the financial reward of CCL? A chance to get clobbered by Real/Barca or Corinthians/Sao Paolo in the CWC?

Oh damn I may actually be in Munich around that time. The jump from Munich to Zurich isn't much (especially since I was thinking about heading there anyway)

Keeping an eye out.

xbhaskarx

Atlanta Silverbacks Statement Regarding the Future of the Team

On Thursday, North American Soccer League Commissioner Bill Peterson made comments in an interview on Soccer Morning with regard to the future of the Atlanta Silverbacks.

As the Commissioner stated, there are several options being discussed. While at this time the future is uncertain, we are working with several parties at finding a resolution as soon as possible.

What a strange non-statement statement to put out...
MLS isn't even coming to Atlanta until 2017, the fact that they're already "working to find a resolution" seems to suggest they don't think they can survive once that happens. Maybe they move down to USL and become the local affiliate for the Atlanta MLS team.

Considering Kansas City has only beaten three MLS teams since July, and those were Toronto, Chivas, and Chicago, I'm not sure what their performance says about the state of MLS as a whole... maybe it just means that KC are shit?

What about the cows?

Losing their slot to Montreal of all people?

xbhaskarx

AP article on Freiburg (two Americans are there, Caleb Stanko and Ethan Sonis)...

How a small club like Freiburg makes ends meet

Financially disadvantaged, Freiburg deploys an array of coping strategies to stay in Germany's top division. Here, at a glance, is how one of the Bundesliga's most modest clubs makes ends meet:

___

BUILD, NOT BUY: Because Freiburg cannot afford to buy many players, it "builds" them instead. The club pours about 6 million euros (US$7.5 million) per year — roughly 10 percent of its annual revenues — into its academy that hot-houses young footballers. Freiburg opened the school in 2001, investing big in youth training just as German football authorities were making such academies obligatory for Bundesliga clubs. The academy recruits young teens from the Freiburg area and others — 22 of them this year — from further afield who live either at the school or with host families in the Black Forest city. The best graduates move up to Freiburg's Bundesliga squad. Freiburg uses more home-grown players than nearly all other clubs in Europe's top five leagues. Only Barcelona, Bilbao and Real Sociedad in Spain and Lyon in France outdid Freiburg's average of fielding 5.3 club-trained players per game last season, according to the CIES Football Observatory in Switzerland.

___

SELL HIGH, BUY LOW: Once its best home-grown players make names for themselves, inflating their market value, Freiburg cashes in, selling them to other clubs. Matthias Ginter joined the academy at age 11 and scored the winning goal on his professional debut for the club at age 18. With his star rising rapidly (Ginter was part of Germany's 2014 World Cup-winning squad but did not actually play in Brazil), Freiburg sold the defender this July to five-time champion Dortmund. Freiburg won't say how much it pocketed. But club chairman Fritz Keller told the AP that player sales and 5.1 million euros ($6.5 million) from UEFA for playing in its Europa League last season helped boost Freiburg's revenues to 70 million euros ($89 million) this year, from 50 million ($64 million) last year. Player-valuation web site Transfermarkt estimates Dortmund paid 10 million euros ($12 million) for Ginter. Keller said Freiburg, as policy, wouldn't spend that much itself for a player and that the club's spending limit is about 4 million euros ($5 million) — which it paid for its Swiss forward Admir Mehmedi.

xbhaskarx

Yeah, which is a real shame because he probably had a better shot of breaking into the first team than guys like Hyndman and Rubin...

22-year-old Jann George makes first-team debut for Greuther Furth in Germany

A pair of Americans laced up for 2.Bundesliga action on Friday night, with Jann George coming on at halftime to make his first-team debut in a 5-2 home loss against FSV Frankfurt.

The 22-year-old Nürnberg-born US youth international forward (pictured, left) tried to cut the lead with a late turnaround shot on goal, but was denied by the away netminder. The defeat dipped Fürth one rung to eighth place.

Also, Terrence Boyd continued his comeback with a 14-minute shift in RB Leipzig's 2-0 victory over guests Bochum.

Though the damage had been done by the time the US forward entered, Boyd helped to get German tongues to wagging when Leipzig skipper Daniel Frahn ran to the sideline to waylay the US forward with a playful wrestling drop as his 33rd minute goal celebration. Theatrics aside, the result tentatively lifted the Leipzig crew to within three points of the league penthouse.

Chris R

People in Seattle... if I can't make the game tomorrow does anyone want my ticket? I'd PM you around 10 AM knowing if I could stay for the entire game or not. Basically depends if I can get a later flight home or not. If I can't get a late flight home, the ticket is yours for free and I'll even bring it to the stadium link station.

Not 100% yet though, because like I said, maybe I can work it out with my airline to get an 8PM flight instead of a 2PM flight. If I can then I'm staying to watch the game and then heading back to SeaTac.

Just let me know with a reply here or a PM. It's a 100 level seat in the corner by the supporters section. If you reply after 9ish tonight I won't get back to you until tomorrow though since I need to check out around 4am ish tomorrow :|

Edit: nevermind I can make it to the game now :)

Geoff Cameron gets his first start of the season and I think it is as a midfielder.
He got time at defensive midfielder last week, too. It's a good position for him.

In other news....

Brek Shea on the bench for Birmingham City. Other Yanks hanging on benches include: Altidore, Green, Brooks, Packwood, Lichaj, and Duane Holmes. :/

xbhaskarx

In more important news...

Kevin Johnson @KJ_MayorJohnson

Soccer Update: I'll be heading to NYC with @SacRepublicFC for a face to face meeting with @thesoccerdon (Commissioner Garber) next Tuesday

11:30am - 25 Oct 14

ZZMitch

Don't keep up with MLS too much but Seattle and LA have two of the most supportive fanbases right?

West coast teams, especially in Cascadia (eg Seattle, Portland, Vancouver) usually draw the biggest crowds. Kansas City has a great fanbase too.

_woLf

That was a questionable turn of events. And I want Seattle to win.

edit: after the replay, not AS questionable. Good strategy I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom