• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

Stadium is almost dead, they're getting almost no creation anywhere on the field, the bounces are in our favor. We should have this in the bag already.

Motherfuckers have to turn it up.

Esch

Banned
i hate constantly losing to NY
WzD6Psq.png

Askani

Went to the game last night.

We. Are. Dogshit.

Take out the first goal, which I don't think should have happened since there was a no call foul in mid, and we still lose and were dominated. That game could have ended 5-0 and I wouldn't have asked why.

Sometimes I think it's funny that I complain since we've been to the post season 4 years in a row. It's just so damn frustrating though. The Royals making a run once in the last 29 years is one frustration, this making it to the playoffs and not doing anything over and over is a completely different animal. We've only not made it to the playoffs 6 times in league history. I guess when half the league gets to go, that's not really something to hang your hat on though.

Right now this team is not the team to make a real run. I live with rose tinted glasses until CCL comes along and always gives me a wake up call that I needed. Ok, injuries. Ok, Uri left a huge whole. Ok, National Team duty. It's all excuses. We haven't really gelled all season. Our depth has to get better. We have to develop some better tactics other than "Defend, Play the ball wide, Send it in, Rinse, Repeat."

Unless Vermes can pull some magic and smack some sense into everyone, we're going to lose this playoff game in New York. Even if we win, we'll be lucky to go any farther.

Preemptive congrats to whoever wins MLS Cup this year. It's damn sure not going to be us.

Official announcements re: what we already knew about Chivas:
@kbaxter11 said:
Chivas USA has been disbanded. Employees learned of decision at 10 a.m. today. League announcement coming soon. #ChivasUSA #MLS

- Brian Straus at SI: Chivas USA folds; MLS will realign, relaunch second LA team in 2017
As expected, Chivas USA has played its final game. On Monday afternoon, Major League Soccer officially pulled the plug on its failed Southern California soccer experiment, announcing that the 10-year-old club will cease operations and be replaced by an expansion team scheduled to launch in 2017.

As a result, MLS will be a 20-team league next year. Newcomers Orlando City and New York City FC will join the Eastern Conference while Sporting Kansas City and the Houston Dynamo – which have combined to claim the past three Eastern titles – will move to the Western Conference. In 2017, Atlanta and the new Los Angeles club will join the league, boosting membership to 22.

MLS plans to announce plans for LA2 on Thursday. As reported last month by SI.com, the new club will be owned by an investor group led by Vietnamese-American businessman Henry Nguyen. He’ll be joined by several minority partners, including Los Angeles Dodgers and Golden State Warriors co-owner Peter Guber and Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan, among others.

CfF3znW.jpg

MLS playing Calvinball again:
@JeffreyCarlisle said:
I'm told that Erick "Cubo" Torres will likely NOT be part of Chivas USA dispersal draft. Details to come. #ChivasUSA #MLS

EDIT: Yikes:
@robertjonas said:
With the latest conference realignment, the last five @MLS Cup champions and runners-up now call the Western Conference home.

- Jeff Carlisle: MLS shuts down Chivas USA, new club, ownership to return in 2017
As for the players, the league announced that it will hold a dispersal draft "at a later date." But sources with knowledge of the situation tell ESPNFC.com that MLS intends to hold the draft around Dec. 1. It is not clear at present whether expansion teams New York City FC and Orlando City, will be included, as the source said that there are still some details to be ironed out with the MLS players' union.

Sources also tell ESPNFC.com that Mexico international striker Erick "Cubo" Torres -- who led Chivas USA in scoring this year with 15 goals -- is unlikely to be included in the draft. The league is in the process of exercising the option on Torres' contract, and sources have stated that Torres will likely be made a designated player. How Torres would then be allocated hasn't been determined.

xbhaskarx

MLS playing Calvinball again:

I predicted that...
Cubo Torres is obviously the big prize, but will he go through a dispersal draft or will some team buy him as a DP

I think it makes sense. it's a loan with an option to buy and he'll be a DP, so he will go to whichever team will pay Chivas and use a DP slot on him.

I hope he ends up in Chicago. They could use some good news after missing out on Jermaine Jones, and there are lots of MexicanAmericans in the area so they might get an attendance boost out of it.

xbhaskarx

Doug Roberson ‏@DougRobersonAJC

@MLSAtlanta2017 now up to 5,600 founding club member deposits and 16,257 total seats requested. Begins play in 2017.

AJC Soccer Insider: Silverbacks’ future cloudy

The Silverbacks name will stay in Atlanta, but the NASL franchise may not.

A person familiar with the organization said the ownership group is considering several options as the league’s season wraps up with the Silverbacks at the bottom of the standings.

The ownership group, which includes John Latham, Boris Jerkunica and Henry and John Hardin are considering selling the franchise to owners in another market. The person wouldn’t identify the market or the potential buyers.

The sale could be finalized by late November.
However, the franchise has failed to turn a profit despite having one of the lowest payrolls in NASL and now faces competition with Arthur Blank’s MLS team coming online in 2017.

If the franchise is sold, the person familiar with the situation said Jerkunica, Latham and the Hardins would start a team in Atlanta focused on developing local talent in another league. The team would be called the Silverbacks because Jerkunica is the majority owner of the Silverbacks name, which wouldn’t be sold. He also owns Silverbacks Park and Silverbacks Suwanee Indoor park, neither of which would be sold. It wouldn’t be affiliated with Atlanta’s MLS team.

ZZMitch

West so good. I dunno how you fix it though! Hopefully things will work themselves out in a few years and teams in the East will improve.

xbhaskarx

MLS coverage:

MLS announces new strategy for Los Angeles market, 2015 conference alignment

Letter from MLS Commissioner Don Garber to Chivas USA supporters

It will be interesting to see the price tag for LA2, if the league can buy Chivas (valued at $64 million by Forbes in 2012) for $70 million in 2013-14 and sell them for ~$100 million to a new ownership group that's committed to building a soccer stadium in LA, that will be quite an impressive turnaround for the league's biggest blunder.

If the NFL ends up not using the old Hollywood Park land in Inglewood I think that'd be a good spot for an MLS stadium. Maybe there or Exposition Park.

MLS shows how short-sighted they are again with the Chivas decision.

Reminds me of how they oked a Dallas stadium that's closer to Oklahoma than Dallas, and a Philly stadium which is practically in Baltimore.

They have no imagination, no initiative, and no drive. I'm not sure if its the Don or the entire league.

Here's what they SHOULD have done:

1) Sell the team to Disney
2) Re brand as the Anaheim Mighty Goats
3) Create a Hollywood blockbuster featuring the triumphant return of Air Bud, with Christiano Ronaldo as his loveable, but incompetent, sidekick
4) Win the Club World Cup
5) Profit

Instead they throw in the towel and alienate THOUSANDS of fans that will never give MLS another penny of their money.

If you ever look at the Champions League and wonder why MLS teams get destroyed year in and year out, it's because the league is led by people who have no clue how to run a major league sport.

UncleO

MLS shows how short-sighted they are again with the Chivas decision.

Reminds me of how they oked a Dallas stadium that's closer to Oklahoma than Dallas, and a Philly stadium which is practically in Baltimore.

They have no imagination, no initiative, and no drive. I'm not sure if its the Don or the entire league.

Here's what they SHOULD have done:

1) Sell the team to Disney
2) Re brand as the Anaheim Mighty Goats
3) Create a Hollywood blockbuster featuring the triumphant return of Air Bud, with Christiano Ronaldo as his loveable, but incompetent, sidekick
4) Win the Club World Cup
5) Profit

Instead they throw in the towel and alienate THOUSANDS of fans that will never give MLS another penny of their money.

If you ever look at the Champions League and wonder why MLS teams get destroyed year in and year out, it's because the league is led by people who have no clue how to run a major league sport.

i can agree with what you wrote except for this right here. The reason MLS gets handled in the CCL is due to roster size. It difficult to build a competitive team to play on three fronts with a $3.5 million dollar salary cap. They can beat the minnows because 1-11 is simply better but when they play a Mexican side that has a better 11-18 they struggle. I fully believe that once MLS loosens the purse strings and teams are allowed to spend more then the league will reach the heights that I as a fan want.
I have fully excepted the fact that the cap at its place is a necessary evil but I cant wait for it to raised significantly.

xbhaskarx

It would be cool to bring back the LA Aztecs, but NASL owns the name and there's no way they sell it to MLS. Given they currently have no teams out west I'm sure they have their own plans for it...

332.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom