• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

2 pm ET: Watch as MLS unveils new LA club & ownership group

On Thursday afternoon, the next era for soccer in Los Angeles will officially kick off, when Major League Soccer announces its new Los Angeles club and ownership group.

MLS Commissioner Don Garber is due to be joined by many special guests for the event.

And you can watch it all here on MLSsoccer.com.

Tune in at 2 pm ET / 11 am PT to catch all the action LIVE from Hollywood.

"unveils new LA club" makes me think there will be an actual name and possibly even crest....

xbhaskarx

LA Stars FC

I wouldn't mind a team called the Stars (it made sense up in Minnesota, my second favorite defunct crest after AC St Louis) but that would be a terrible idea when your cross-town rivals are the Galaxy!

Let's just hope it's not one of the crappy crests / generic names that leaked earlier this year:
webcontent_medium.jpeg
webcontent-2_medium.jpeg

Kevin Baxter ‏@kbaxter11 4m4 minutes ago
See? Apparently it will be a large and potentially unwieldy ownership group with as many as 16 people involved

B1Nd3t8CYAAUeTU.jpg:large

Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl 17s18 seconds ago
Looks like new MLS team starting in 2017 will be called Los Angeles Football Club.

LAFC

bleh

xbhaskarx

I think two generic "FC" team names in one league is enough... pick a real name!
If I was commissioner I'd set a limit of two on all such generic names, United (DC, Minnesota), City (NY, Orlando), FC (Dallas, Toronto)...

Esch

Banned
Nothing wrong with a name like LAFC, but that's where you take the opportunity to be real creative with the crest, logo and any associated symbols, animals etc.

Osorio

It would be funny if it ends up being another Mexican team like El Tri FC

This league needs more racial tension

I don't actually believe that

xbhaskarx

I like that of the four leaked ownership names, Henry Nguyen, Peter Guber, and Tom Penn are all on the top row, by themselves. Vincent Tan is listed last out of 22 people. I wonder if that was the case before the media focused on Tan and the negative reaction people had...

Osorio

So many fucking partners.

Can't like a consortium of NJ/NY people come together and buy us?

Get Shaq as the celebrity face behind it and boom

xbhaskarx

Executive Chairman: Henry Nguyen (VC/Entrepreneur)
President: Tom Penn (ESPN NBA Analyst, former VP of Basketball Operations of Portland Trailblazers)
Managing Partner: Peter Guber (Entrepreneur, co-owner of the Golden State Warriors and Dodgers)
Allen Shapiro (CEO of Dick Clark Productions)
Anthony Robbins (Self-help author and motivational speaker)
Bennet Rosenthal (Equity firm CEO)
Brandon Schneider (VP of Ticket Sales and Services for Golden State Warriors)
Chad Hurley (Co-founder and ex-CEO of YouTube)
Harry Tsao (VC/Entrepreneur)
Irwin Raij (Partner & business lawyer focused on sports)
Jason Sugarman (unknown)
Kirk Lacob (Assistant GM, Golden State Warriors)
Larry Berg (VC)
Magic Johnson (NBA legend)
Mia Hamm Garciaparra (Women's soccer legend)
Mike Mahan (President, Dick Clark Productions)
Mark Leschly (VC)
Nomar Garciaparra (former baseball player, ESPN analyst)
Paul Schaeffer (Vice-chairman, Mandalay Pictures)
Rick Welts (President and COO, Golden State Warriors)
Ruben Gnanaligam (Malaysian Businessman)
Vincent Tan (Malaysian Businessman, owner of Cardiff City)

Meier

You gotta keep up - they were the great hope for conceiving future national team players for a while since he was also a very talented soccer player when he was younger. :p

At least they finally had a boy 2 years ago apparently. We're pretty set on female players, so their initial twins are a little less exciting.

Osorio

Nervous about tonight.

We're such a bipolar team I never know who to expect on the field.

I can see Henry coming off the bench, and that's fine if we stick to the gameplan we had on Sunday.

Cystm

I think two generic "FC" team names in one league is enough... pick a real name!
If I was commissioner I'd set a limit of two on all such generic names, United (DC, Minnesota), City (NY, Orlando), FC (Dallas, Toronto)...

I completely disagree with all of you on this. FC/SC is preferable to DYNAMO! or NATURAL DISASTER!!!

xbhaskarx

I completely disagree with all of you on this. FC/SC is preferable to DYNAMO! or NATURAL DISASTER!!!

Natural disaster team names are a thing US sports, from the Hurricanes to the Avalanche... plus MLS only has two of those (Fire and Earthquakes).
No American team names in other sports are just "Boston HC" (as in hockey) because there are too many big sports leagues and too many teams in most cities.

xbhaskarx

CONCACAF U-20 groups:

Group A: Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Aruba, Panama, USA, Guatemala

Group B: Haiti, Canada, Mexico, Cuba, Honduras, El Salvador

fakefaker

After the final Whistle.

VC players felt like their whole season was taken away from one call. I can't say that I blame them, and would like to have seen a better call.

That is easy for me to say though, sitting here in my comfy chair.

Yeah I was pretty choked as a Caps fan, but Waston has a rep so I can see why the ref called it the way he did. Oh well, next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom