• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^Herrera <3

LAFC is sugar free vanilla.

But 15-20 years ago it would have been named something like LA Energy, LA Surf or something awful. Real Los Angeles.

I wonder if Canadian fans are confused when they go to a game. "eh I thought this was supposed ta be hockey"

"How'd dhey get the ice green?"

@NewYorkRedBulls: Starting XI vs @SportingKC: Robles, Eckersley, Olave, Sekagya, Miller, Alexander, McCarty, Sam, Cahill, Henry, Wright-Phillips

@SportingKC: #SportingKC XI vs #RBNY: Kronberg; Ellis, Collin, Besler (C), Sinovic: Claros, Nagamura, Feilhaber; Sapong, Dwyer, Zusi

xbhaskarx

Entertaining game, congrats NY

You don't often see this in MLS, eight 5 minute intervals with over 80% possession... that's half the game
dyrfMuS.png

xbhaskarx

Does KC leave Graham Zusi unprotected in the expansion draft hoping to dump him and his salary, or because they don't need to bother protecting him given his salary?

Askani

Does KC leave Graham Zusi unprotected in the expansion draft hoping to dump him and his salary, or because they don't need to bother protecting him given his salary?

He's a DP, so he's protected by default.

Oh, wait. I guess I didn't know the rule. DPs are auto protected if they have a no trade clause. I don't know if he does or not.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Entertaining game, congrats NY

You don't often see this in MLS, eight 5 minute intervals with over 80% possession... that's half the game

Yup, that line up we used in the first half is what we should have been fielding all season and it showed. That game should have been over by the half, KC held on but by the grace of god. How Cahill, BWP and Henry managed to miss those shots I will never understand. I hope Petke sticks with it going forward.

The choice of subs was good too, I feel like this team has finally come together in a way that makes it more than the sum of it's parts. I..I have actual hope...someone talk me out of it or I might start believing...

He's not worth the money to any of the other teams, I doubt he's in any danger of being picked up.

Meier

I'd imagine Orlando City would love to have him since he's from the area and came through what is now Orlando City U-23. The coming home story is always a good one for fans.

15,000+ tickets sold for the November 14th US-Colombia match at Craven Cottage in London. I imagine we'll start getting roster leaks/news in a week or so.

xbhaskarx

Investors eye site near Mpls. Farmers Market for MLS soccer stadium

United Properties says pro soccer is an option for a site it may develop near the Minneapolis Farmers Market — a sign that the Minnesota Vikings may have a serious rival in their bid to bring Major League Soccer to their new home in Downtown East.

"We are very early in the process," a United Properties spokeswoman said.

The acknowledgement by the commercial real estate developer comes less than a week after Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber told the Chicago Tribune that his league hoped to expand to Minneapolis soon.

Meeting slated on potential pro soccer deal
A group of City Council members is scheduled to meet Monday with a group of Japanese investors interested in bringing Major League Soccer to San Antonio.

Gordon Hartman, a developer and owner of the San Antonio Scorpions soccer team, is playing matchmaker in the deal.

The Japanese investors are hoping to gauge the city’s interest in a partnership, Hartman and others say.

“This group is looking for some form of working together with the city, where potentially they work jointly on the potential purchase of Toyota Field,” Hartman said by phone Thursday, “and then upon moving to the MLS, that the city and (the investors) would participate in some fashion still to be determined on how the expansion would occur at that point.”

15,000+ tickets sold for the November 14th US-Colombia match at Craven Cottage in London. I imagine we'll start getting roster leaks/news in a week or so.

Love that place.

Also, that game last night was awesome. I was watching it as best I could between pumpkin carving because my almost 2 year old daughter always wants to watch soccer (though she'll settle for football. I need to teach her about Hockey instead for the winter).

Also, no matter who is playing, she starts chanting for the Sounders lol

Nesotenso

nothing wrong with what Klinsmann is saying. Been a terrible season for yanks abroad with injuries only exasperating the situation.

but let's bash Klinsmann for daring to say something about the form or situations of players.

xbhaskarx

Based on some of the responses I'm guessing it's more bashing him for his almost sociopathic unwillingness to ever take responsibility for his part in anything negative that happens.

Michael D. &#8207;@MikeDatTiger 2 hours ago
@BrianStraus I love it. Grinds players into dust w his training, & then blames that fatigue on "need to become stronger" i.e. more training

Darrell Lovell &#8207;@DarrellLovell 2 hours ago
@BrianStraus So the guy who put them through 2 and 3-a-days in the middle of their seasons is concerned about them breaking down..... Nice

Armchair Analyst after the recent friendlies:

The Bad: Are these players overtrained?

This was the second straight game the US gave up a late goal. They also gave up late goals against Ghana, Portugal and Belgium.

In their last 10 games, the US have given up goals in the 80th minute or beyond six times. Two of those games in which that didn't occur were shutout wins (2-0 vs. Azerbaijan, 1-0 at Czech Republic) and one was a 1-0 loss (vs. Germany). The other was a 2-2 draw vs. Mexico in which the US didn't give up any late goals, but did cough up a 2-0 lead midway through the second half.

Even worse is that Matt Besler ended up looking a little gimpy with his hamstring early in the second half. This is a recurrence of a familiar problem:

Raymond Verheijen @raymondverheije

Two muscle injuries already for USA in their first game. What kind of training program did they do in preparation for the World Cup?
7:04 AM - 17 Jun 2014

Raymond Verheijen @raymondverheije

Whenever a muscle injury happens, a coaching staff should always ask the question: what could we have done to avoid this? Never bad luck.
5:37 AM - 6 Jul 2014

Verheijen isn't some nobody. He literally wrote the book on how to train players to their peak in the modern game, and how to avoid the kinds of work overloads that lead to muscle injuries.

Klinsmann's reputation as a fitness fanatic is no secret. Germany and Bayern Munich's Philip Lahm wrote in his autobiography that "we practically only practiced fitness under Klinsmann," and while that's probably an overstatement, it's pretty clear that Jurgen's reputation for overtraining his squad is well-earned.

nothing wrong with what Klinsmann is saying. Been a terrible season for yanks abroad with injuries only exasperating the situation.

but let's bash Klinsmann for daring to say something about the form or situations of players.

Everything lately seems to be some passive aggressive attempt at criticism of Klinsmann for some reason. I truly don't get it. /r/mls is getting worse with it too because every single thing he says seems to make most of that sub lose their minds like it's some kind of mls bashing from him and it's not.

Nesotenso

Everything lately seems to be some passive aggressive attempt at criticism of Klinsmann for some reason. I truly don't get it. /r/mls is getting worse with it too because every single thing he says seems to make most of that sub lose their minds like it's some kind of mls bashing from him and it's not.

for fuck's sake what the hell has it got to do with training even when the German-Americans are struggling to get first team minutes. yeah it is the training when people can't even get off the fucking bench.

I hope Garber's and MLS ownership 'feelings' are hurt again.

xbhaskarx

The guy has two arrows in his coaching quiver, fitness and motivation.

If things don't go well, it's obviously not his player selection, or formations, or tactics, or overtraining...

It's like a couple years ago when he brought in a motivational speaker to bend frying pans and tear phone books. And then when the team went out and had a bad game (losing to Jamaica for the first time ever) he questioned the players in the postgame press conference. You motivated them by having a guy tear phone books! Unbelievable...

"I'm gonna do some feats of strength"... so fucking embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom