• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Las Vegas: New plan would package soccer stadium with possible parks

Las Vegas city officials are working on a plan to help deliver a new downtown soccer stadium by packaging the soccer venue with four possible park projects and a parking garage under a $45.7 million to $50.7 million bond proposal.

City Manager Betsy Fretwell and Bill Arent, the city’s economic development chief, briefed the City Council on the new stadium funding idea Wednesday. Parks were included in the new funding plan after many residents voiced concerns that hotel room tax revenues that were used to pay for city parks projects would be re-directed to help pay for the $200 million, 24,000-seat soccer stadium.

Fretwell said the private developers — the partnership of The Cordish Cos. and Findlay Sports & Entertainment — would still assume most of the financial risk of the stadium.

“They get to eat what they kill,” Fretwell told council. “It becomes their risk, not ours.”

Fretwell asked council members for guidance on the number and types of park projects. Here’s the proposed breakdown on the potential park projects identified in a PowerPoint presentation Wednesday. The list can be modified as staff gets feedback from the seven City Council members:

— Stadium: $20 million to $25 million

— Cragin Park Modernization: $5 million

— Las Vegas Wash Park: $6.2 million

— Harris Trailhead: $6.5 million

— Gilmore Cliff Shadow Park: $8 million

— Total: $45.7 million to 50.7 million

The city would still borrow $46 million to $50 million, by paying $3 million annually for 30 years, Council Member Bob Beers said.

The next key dates are:

— Nov. 20: Findlay-Cordish presents the Las Vegas case to Major League Soccer. Findlay-Cordish is lobbying MLS for the last expansion team. The soccer stadium would only be built if MLS awards Las Vegas a team. Las Vegas is competing against other cities such as Sacramento, Calif., and Minneapolis.

— Dec. 1: City Council meets to align soccer stadium deal dates.

— Dec. 17: City Council votes on master development agreement between the city and Findlay-Cordish.

Haven't heard much about the US roster for the upcoming matches, but I imagine they're holding off on announcing until after this weekend's MLS playoff matches and any games in Europe. We typically see a few leaks, but it's been quiet so far.

xbhaskarx

nycfc
1 hour ago
Become a Founding Member of #NYCFC and get your face on the back of our jersey. Get your season tickets today at NYCFC.com
10735278_398819480275853_1333380779_n.jpg

They just one-upped Colorado and their season ticket holder names

xbhaskarx

d'oh

Howard and FJ:
Everton star Tim Howard notched his 150th overseas shutout on Thursday night, blanking Europa League guests Lille 3-0 to keep his side on top of Group H.

The netminder required just two saves to post his fourth clean sheet in five games across all competitions. Howard's best moment came when he alertly pushed a Ryan Mendes drive over the bar on 21 minutes. Unbeaten through four group matches, Everton can clinch first place and a spot in the knockout stage by winning at Wolfsburg on November 27.

Elsewhere, Fabian Johnson returned to the Borussia Mönchengladbach lineup to work right back in a 2-0 victory at Apollon Limassol that moved them into the Group A penthouse.

The US international nearly had an assist in the opening moments, only to watch Branimir Hrgota fire his cutback pass over the target from a good position. In all, Johnson completed 74 of 75 passes as the Foals ran their overall unbeaten streak to 18 games.

xbhaskarx

TFC looking to make a Bloody Bigger Deal in 2015

Toronto FC has two big name DP targets in mind to replace Jermain Defoe and, possibly, Gilberto.

And, if the reports are true the Bloody Big Deal will be turned up a notch.

Multiple sources have confirmed that TFC brass intends to target Wesley Sneijder and Steven Gerrard.

Previously, Sjneider has been linked to MLS. The Gerrard rumour is new, but the Liverpool legend has recently told UK media that he'd be willing to move from Merseyside if not offered a new contract. His contract expires at the end of the 2014-15 Premier League season.

Sources did not indicate whether the players had been approached in any way, nor did they handicap whether TFC would be able to land either target. However, they are confident that TFC's plan is to approach the players.

New England or Orlando should go after Gilberto, going by the other players TFC has given up on, he'll be a golden boot contender...

xbhaskarx

Peterson touts West Coast NASL announcement by “end of year,” Canadian expansion, more

Peterson openly speaks about the league’s need for a west coast footprint. In fact, he believes NASL may have the ability to announce a California club by year’s end.

Currently, the league’s furthest Western representation within the United States comes in the form of Minnesota United and the San Antonio Scorpions. Though not offering much in terms of details, he does name San Francisco, Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego as prime markets of interest.

“We have conversations going on in each one of them,” Peterson explains. “It’s a big undertaking. Those are big major markets. We go slow as well as the people that are interested to make sure we have everything right when we go out there.

“You have to get the community involved, the government involved, short and long term stadium plans, soccer community, the ownership groups. The groups we have are very meticulous on their evaluation of their planning. We can see teams out there announced by the end of the year.”

Nyx

Rubio Rubin starts again tonight in Utrecht's match against Excelsior Rotterdam.

edit: A rough translation of a Dutch article:

If striker Ruud Boymans scores tonight in the match of Utrecht vs Excelsior it will be his 6th consecutive match in which he scores, something Rubio Rubin wouldn't mind. ''But Rubio deserves a goal'' says attacking coach Danny Koevermans.
''When I played I scored once every 3 games so if I didn't score for 2 weeks I knew a goal was coming.'' ''For Rubio it's nescessary that he scores his first because then I think he will end up with 8-9 goals by the end of this season.''
Koevermans is very happy with his pupil. ''His work-ethic is great, he listens well, understands the hints I give him.'' ''That first goal he scored today at training went in like a dream.'' ''In real matches he needs to get over that first goal dilemma, but I know it will work out in the end.'' ''If you look at how good he is already it would be great if he gets that first goal in and then goes on to score a lot more.'' ''It wouldn't be good if the team has to rely on strike Ruud Boymans for all the goals.''

Danny Koevermans is an ex-Dutch national team striker, definitely not the best ever or something but surely someone who knows what he talks about.

Go Rubio!

Interesting, I didn't know that there was a Monday playoff game. Dates/times for this weekend:

Saturday 11/8:
DCU-RBNY, 2:30pm ET, NBC (0-2)

Sunday 11/9:
NE-CLB, 5:00pm ET, ESPN2 (4-2)
LA-RSL, 7:30pm ET, ESPN2 (0-0)

Monday 11/10:
SEA-DAL, 10:30pm ET, NBCSN (1-1)

A friend of mine and I were debating how much of an impact the playoffs will have on the US roster. I think Klinsmann will limit the time of guys that are still involved, but my friend said it probably won't matter since the playoffs are on hold for the international break. The conference finals will start on Nov 22nd.

Interesting, I didn't know that there was a Monday playoff game. Dates/times for this weekend:

Saturday 11/8:
DCU-RBNY, 2:30pm ET, NBC (0-2)

Sunday 11/9:
NE-CLB, 5:00pm ET, ESPN2 (4-2)
LA-RSL, 7:30pm ET, ESPN2 (0-0)

Monday 11/10:
SEA-DAL, 10:30pm ET, NBCSN (1-1)

I think they scheduled Seattle's way in advance, since the Seahawks play at home that Sunday. Would give them enough time to get football lines off the field you'd think

Beyond the numbers I'm hoping for a good atmosphere in Foxboro

The Revs crowds in the earlier stages of the league were really good.

I think The Rebellion or the Midnight Riders are making a new tifo that they're planning on showing on Sunday. They've been saying around the size of the one they showed against Toronto.

xbhaskarx

Finally got around to reading the article on Pareja and FCD...

Oscar Pareja's trust in youth paying off in FC Dallas' MLS resurgence
FC Dallas is growing. Its season may end next Monday, but a foundation unlike any other in MLS has been established in Frisco, Texas. The 17-12-7 record and the club’s first conference semifinal berth in four years are just the start. The FCD youth system, which Pareja ran before becoming the Colorado Rapids head coach in 2012, has produced an MLS-high 13 professionals. Eight are on the current roster. FCD’s homegrown players logged 4,607 regular-season minutes this year, the most in the league by more than 16 percent.

Among the 10 MLS Cup playoff qualifiers, Dallas’ postseason participants are the youngest by more than eight months. On average, the players who drew Seattle were nearly four years younger than their opponents. Captain Matt Hedges, a candidate for the league’s Defender of the Year award, is 24. And the conveyor belt continues to churn. Midfielder Alejandro Zendejas, a U.S. U-17 international, signed a pro contract last month and Top Drawer Soccer, which covers U.S. player development, has ranked FCD’s U-18 team the second best in the nation. Its U-16 team is rated eighth.

This is really impressive, I wonder how every other MLS team compares:

FCD’s three academy teams (U-18, U-16 and U-14) are free and sit atop a development pyramid that includes pre-academy teams for players U-12 through U-15 and, below that, more than 4,000 boys and girls playing at various competitive levels. The Toyota Soccer Center is anchored by the MLS stadium and includes 17 additional full-size fields. FCD employs some 100 coaches and technical staffers. It is as close to the sort of traditional, comprehensive club so common in Europe and Latin America as there is in the U.S.​

Jim Curtin named Philadelphia Union new Manager

Here is my motto for the 2015 Union
lather-rinse-repeat.jpg

Honestly I'm not holding my breath, after the lose in the US Open cup final the team derailed. I hope I'm wrong but this feels like Hackworth 2.0

I'm not thrilled about the hire but I think it's pretty clear that Curtin is a big improvement over Hackworth who was way out of his depth. Hack's "Hacktics" and personnel decisions were almost always disastrous.

Jim keeps it real with the players, fans and media and I believe we fell short of the playoffs and Open Cup mainly due to Sakiewicz specific issues most notably lack of squad depth and the M'Bohli signing and not coaching. I would have loved to see Rene get the job, but I have more confidence in Curtin then most that he can get us competitive in the short term at the least.

The club needs a direction/identity tho that trickles down to academy level where we have legit talent growing. As much as Nowak derailed this progress he had strong ideas about our identity that neither Hack not Curtin has put forward to this point.

So much for that "world wide search" for a coach...

That said, if the rumors of Meulensteen becoming Sporting Director with a lot of control over things, then I think I'm ok with Curtin as manager.

We do have to stop hiring from inside though.

I would have loved to see Rene get the job, but I have more confidence in Curtin then most that he can get us competitive in the short term at the least.

I don't think the rumors of Rene becoming the actual manager were anything other than wishful thinking. Everything lately seems to have him joining the team as a sporting director and overseeing pretty much all operations and the development side of things.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if that idea/deal fell through too knowing how things have been lately.

Askani

So someone posted this to twitter and I decided to look at it and see how bad it was. Holy shit I was not preparred: https://hkm.com/wp-content/uploads/...v-Seattle-Impact-and-MASL-et-al-Complaint.pdf

It's a lawsuit against the owner of the MASL Seattle Impact. 1 part crazy mixed with 2 parts sexual assault and lots of misogyny tossed in for good measure.

One court record shows that Earl also lobbed vulgar slurs against women,
including apparently his own mother, in an email to his ex-wife in 2010, which states:
[Y]ou can tell your WHORE of an Attorney and yourself to go
get a FUCKING LIFE.
. . . .
You are the most EVIL fucking WHORE on the planet . . . . I
guarantee you I will be posting this on every blog out there for
MEN to stay away from you. You are flat out an EVIL
WHORE!!!!!!!!!
. . . .
You give me no CHOICE but to make sure your LIFE is a
LIVING FUCKING HELL.
. . . .
You[‘re] all a FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT that think that by
keeping my SON away from his father will make me
CHANGE!!! Well wrong FUCKING MOVE all you
FUCKS!!!! and WHORES!!!! And Pieces of SHIT!!!!!!!
Including you MOM that have been FUCKING WHOEVER
you WANT behind Dads Back!!!!! FUCK all of you that think
I am unstable and on Drugs!!!!!! FUCK YOU ALL!!!!!!!​

Yeah...and it gets worse from there. It's a little difficult to read in some spots. How did this guy ever get a franchise? Money talks?

US U-20 roster for the upcoming Spain tournament:
U.S. U-20 MNT Roster by Position:

Goalkeepers (2): Santiago Castaño (New York Red Bulls; Union City, N.J.), Ethan Horvath (Molde FK; Highlands Ranch, Colo.)

Defenders (7): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur; Westcliff on Sea, England), Luis Martir (Chivas de Guadalajara; Los Angeles, Calif.), Matthew Miazga (New York Red Bulls; Clifton, N.J.), Shaquell Moore (Unattached; Powder Springs, Ga.), Tommy Redding (Orlando City; Oviedo, Fla.), John Requejo (Tijuana; Carpinteria, Calif.), Tyler Turner (Orlando City; West Haven, Conn.)

Midfielders (7): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; Plano, Texas), Russell Canouse (TSG 1899 Hoffenheim; Lancaster, Pa.), Junior Flores (Borussia Dortmund; Manassas Park, Va.), Romain Gall (Columbus Crew; Herndon, Va.), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland AFC; Santa Cruz, Calif.), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham; Dallas, Texas), Joel Soñora (CA Boca Juniors; Buenos Aires, Argentina)

Forwards (4): Bradford Jamieson IV (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Andrija Novakovich (Reading FC; Muskego, Wis.), Tommy Thompson (San Jose Earthquakes; Loomis, Calif.), Dembakwi Yomba (Atlético Madrid; Lithonia, Ga.)

2014 Marbella U-21 International National Teams Football Tournament

Wednesday, Nov. 12
Russia vs. USA, 6 p.m. local (12 p.m. ET), San Pedro Stadium

Saturday, Nov. 15
USA vs. Ireland, 3 p.m. local (9 a.m. ET), San Pedro Stadium
Russia vs. Canada, 6 p.m. local (12 p.m. ET), Marbella Stadium

Monday, Nov. 17
Russia vs. Ireland, 6 p.m. local (12 p.m. ET), Marbella Football Center

Tuesday, Nov. 18
Canada vs. USA, 4:30 p.m. local (10:30 a.m. ET), Marbella Football Center

xbhaskarx

Did both Tommy Redding and Tyler Turner start for Orlando City this season? It'll be interesting to see how they handle the transition to MLS...

@BrianStraus said:
Chivas USA dispersal draft Nov. 19. Draw conducted 11/14 to determine order. Playoff teams get 1 entry in draw, non-playoff+exp teams get 2.

EDIT:
Major League Soccer announced on Friday that it will hold the Dispersal Draft for former Chivas USA players on Nov. 19, and that all 20 MLS franchises will have the opportunity to take part

To determine the draft order, MLS will hold a random weighted draw on Nov. 14 using an envelope method. The system will be weighted by giving the 2014 playoff clubs a single envelope and giving the non-playoff clubs two envelopes. The random selections will be conducted by an MLS league office representative until each club has been appointed a draft position.

Orlando City SC and New York City FC will participate in the Dispersal Draft and be treated as 2014 non-playoff qualifying clubs in the weighting order.

The Dispersal Draft will be held via private teleconference call with representatives from each club, and clubs will be given one minute to determine their selection. The draft will conclude when all MLS clubs forego a selection.

MLS clubs acquiring Dispersal Draft players must take players at their full 2015 budget charges and options must be exercised, including any associated transfers or loans. If a team selects a player in the Dispersal Draft but leaves him unprotected ahead of the Expansion Draft on Dec. 10, he will be available for selection by either Orlando City or NYCFC at that time.

Players unselected during the Dispersal Draft will take part in the Re-Entry Draft, if eligible, or will be made available via the Waiver Draft on Dec. 10.

Chivas USA’s two Homegrown Players – Caleb Calvert and Marco Delgado - are both eligible for selection in the Dispersal Draft.

The league also confirmed that Chivas USA striker Erick "Cubo" Torres will not be subject to the Dispersal Draft while it continues to negotiate a long-term deal to keep the Mexican international in MLS.

The league also announced that all draft picks held by teams in the 2015 SuperDraft after previous trades with Chivas USA will he honored, and all picks held by Chivas USA will be deleted. All draft picks retained by Chivas USA for the 2016 SuperDraft will be deleted except for the team’s second-round pick traded to Columbus, which will be placed 11th in the 2016 draft order.

xbhaskarx

Major League Soccer to hold Chivas USA Dispersal Draft on Nov. 19

Major League Soccer announced on Friday that it will hold the Dispersal Draft for former Chivas USA players on Nov. 19, and that all 20 MLS franchises will have the opportunity to take part

To determine the draft order, MLS will hold a random weighted draw on Nov. 14 using an envelope method. The system will be weighted by giving the 2014 playoff clubs a single envelope and giving the non-playoff clubs two envelopes. The random selections will be conducted by an MLS league office representative until each club has been appointed a draft position.

Orlando City SC and New York City FC will participate in the Dispersal Draft and be treated as 2014 non-playoff qualifying clubs in the weighting order.

The Dispersal Draft will be held via private teleconference call with representatives from each club, and clubs will be given one minute to determine their selection. The draft will conclude when all MLS clubs forego a selection.

That screws over the worst teams like Montreal and San Jose, under the format of the previous dispersal draft they would have picked first and second.

If a team selects a player in the Dispersal Draft but leaves him unprotected ahead of the Expansion Draft on Dec. 10, he will be available for selection by either Orlando City or NYCFC at that time.

This might make the dispersal draft pointless for certain teams with lots of roster depth like RSL, LA, Seattle, Dallas, etc. unless they get a really high pick. It should benefit crappy teams like Montreal and San Jose if other teams pass. I don't think it balances out the draft positions being determined by a draw, though...

xbhaskarx

updated...

2014-15 MLS Offseason Calendar

November 14 - Weighted draw for MLS Dispersal Draft

November 19 - MLS Dispersal Draft for Chivas USA players

December 1 - Deadline for exercising player contract options

December 7 - MLS Cup Final

December 8 – Half-day Trade Window: Open 9 am ET - 1 pm ET. Teams may trade during that window or may re-sign their own players. Blackout period starts at 1 pm ET, runs through the MLS Expansion Draft.

December 10 - MLS Expansion Draft

December 10 - Trade Window opens at the end of Expansion Draft; closes on December 11, 2014, at 5 pm ET

December 10 – MLS Waiver Draft

December 12 - MLS Re-entry Draft, Phase One

December 12 – Trade Window opens at the end of Re-entry Draft Phase One; closes on December 17, 2014, at 11 am ET

December 18 - MLS Re-entry Draft, Phase Two

December 18 – Trade Window opens at the end of Re-entry Draft Phase Two

January 2 to 5 - MLS Caribbean Combine

January 9 to 13 - MLS SuperDraft Combine

January 15 - MLS SuperDraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom