• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey now Philly only lost to Palace because of a shit OG! It was a friendly but damnit it counts to me!1

haha, touche.

let's remember that this is the same league that made jermain defoe look like a competent striker before making claims about beating PL teams, shall we?

i mean, love watching it and all.

Arials

Never happening.This is the player who actually had a trial at Man United as a teenager when Liverpool dithered over offering him a first professional contract with the express intention of speeding negotiations up, and from the quote that sparked the current rumours it's quite obvious what he wants:

"I won't be retiring this summer. I will play beyond this season. We will have to wait and see if that's at Liverpool or somewhere else. That's Liverpool's decision."

Brendan Rodgers confirmed the day after that wants to open negotiations, so it evidently worked. Even if that falls through, Pellegrini has been quoted saying he'd offer him a two year contract at Man City if Liverpool let him go(I wonder if, in hindsight, he'd like to have done similar with Lampard). It wouldn't be surprising if someone like Jose Mourinho or Carlo Ancelotti tried to sign him again as well, for old times sake.

Arials

let's remember that this is the same league that made jermain defoe look like a competent striker before making claims about beating PL teams, shall we?

TBF Jermain Defoe was still very good about 2 years ago.

It's very indicative that - apart from the aging DPs - all the English players in MLS were lower league fodder back home.

For example, the three Englishmen in the NYRB starting XI the other day: Lloyd Sam, Richard Eckersley and BWP all have careers following a similar pattern. Each moved to MLS after being released by a Championship club, all played their last games in England on loan to sides in League One.

As unfashionable as players like Lee Cattermole and Jordi Gomez may be they have established themselves as Premier League players for a reason. Sunderland are comfortably better than a MLS team.

Mully

Was at Red Bull Arena last night to witness the glorious finishes. It was a small crowd considering it was a weekend playoff game. Hopefully we can keep a clean sheet at RFK later this week and put one or two more in to keep DC's spirits down.

Also,

ROBLES2018.

xbhaskarx

IBTimes: Does MLS's Growth Mean There Are Now 5 Major American Sports Leagues?

With its unveiling last week of an impressive cast list of 22 -- flush with money, fame and head office experience both in sports and in Hollywood -- who will lead the newly created Los Angeles FC, Major League Soccer took its latest confident step forward. Buoyed by a ground-breaking television deal and coming off the back of a record season in attendances, the optimism as it enters what it has dubbed the next phase of MLS is obvious and understandable. But is the United States now truly ready to embrace MLS as a fifth major professional sports league?

So a couple of weeks ago someone here was arguing that the Red Bulls should be renamed.

May I suggest....the New York Marlins?

DSC00745_zps0532f6a8.jpg

DSC00739_zps9f994f0c.jpg

If we're the marlins what are dallas and Columbus

And yes I'll take marlins over red bulls

The Dallas stadium is in Oklahoma.

Columbus isn't the largest metro in the country.

Ten million people within easy access to the stadium and they barely had 10,000 in the stadium on Thursday.

Maybe 15,000 Sunday

Mully

The Dallas stadium is in Oklahoma.

Columbus isn't the largest metro in the country.

Ten million people within easy access to the stadium and they barely had 10,000 in the stadium on Thursday.

Maybe 15,000 Sunday

It was really frustrating seeing a scant attendence Sunday afternoon when my friends and I got there. However as the game opened up and the crowd got loud, I was glad the stadium was filled with people who wanted to be there instead of a bunch of cheap seats opportunists.

Along with that, Harrison, New Jersey is not that easy to get to. Whether it's by train, car, or car service, the commute is at least an hour and a half from most locations in the NY metro area. Along with that, it's in a grungy, but quickly developing part of Newark's outskirts. Only the most die hard fans are going to head out there. It's not like Century Link where four different methods of transportation feed into the stadium which allows for anyone and everyone to join in.

I'd love to have the fan commute experience I had in Seattle here in NY as a Red Bulls fan, but it's not going to happen and I think people outside of NY metro have to understand it's not about how dedicated our fans are, it's about how long and complicated the journey to even see a game is.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It was really frustrating seeing a scant attendence Sunday afternoon when my friends and I got there. However as the game opened up and the crowd got loud, I was glad the stadium was filled with people who wanted to be there instead of a bunch of cheap seats opportunists.

Along with that, Harrison, New Jersey is not that easy to get to. Whether it's by train, car, or car service, the commute is at least an hour and a half from most locations in the NY metro area. Along with that, it's in a grungy, but quickly developing part of Newark's outskirts. Only the most die hard fans are going to head out there. It's not like Century Link where four different methods of transportation feed into the stadium which allows for anyone and everyone to join in.

I'd love to have the fan commute experience I had in Seattle here in NY as a Red Bulls fan, but it's not going to happen and I think people outside of NY metro have to understand it's not about how dedicated our fans are, it's about how long and complicated the journey to even see a game is.

I live out in Queens but work in Manhattan so it's actually easier for me to make the weekday games. I wish they could have found a place closer to the river but whatever, if this new job comes through I'm still getting season tickets next year. It's just an annoying place to get to, it's especially annoying if you're driving.

Man, I wish the stadium was in the sort of spot where we could do what Seattle does.

Mully

I live out in Queens but work in Manhattan so it's actually easier for me to make the weekday games. I wish they could have found a place closer to the river but whatever, if this new job comes through I'm still getting season tickets next year. It's just an annoying place to get to, it's especially annoying if you're driving.

Man, I wish the stadium was in the sort of spot where we could do what Seattle does.

So it's a PATH train and that's it for you basically? Sounds like the perfect way to end a workday once in a while. Head over to the bar after work. Grab a few drinks. Walk over to the PATH station. Hop out at Harrison and enjoy the game. An hour and a half later you're on your way back home and it's not even 10 yet.

My friends and I were talking about how the West Side Yard idea the Jets and the NYOC were kicking around would have been perfect for the the Red Bulls. Not many people drive to the games so unlike football, tailgating and parking wouldn't be much of an issue. A West Side Arena for our Reds would have been amazing. Lube up at one of the hundreds of bars around Manhattan, then have our walk to the arena like they do in KC and Seattle:

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So it's a PATH train and that's it for you basically? Sounds like the perfect way to end a workday once in a while. Head over to the bar after work. Grab a few drinks. Walk over to the PATH station. Hop out at Harrison and enjoy the game. An hour and a half later you're on your way back home and it's not even 10 yet.

My friends and I were talking about how the West Side Yard idea the Jets and the NYOC were kicking around would have been perfect for the the Red Bulls. Not many people drive to the games so unlike football, tailgating and parking wouldn't be much of an issue. A West Side Arena for our Reds would have been amazing. Lube up at one of the hundreds of bars around Manhattan, then have our walk to the arena like they do in KC and Seattle:

Yea, it's been great. I just wish weekend games were that easy. On the weekend it's a good 40 minutes just to get to the PATH train. Driving is even worse. From what I can tell it's not the best spot for Jersey fans either.

Oh my god that sounds like it would have been absolutely amazing. If only they could have made it happen somehow.

Osorio

The lack of a World Trade Center to Newark train made things extra frustrating this season

I used to take the Hudson light rail to exchange place then take the path

Now I have to take the 108 bus which comes once every hour if you're lucky. It's frustrating for me and I'm as diehard as you get. I could only imagine what families have to deal with

Along with that, Harrison, New Jersey is not that easy to get to. Whether it's by train, car, or car service, the commute is at least an hour and a half from most locations in the NY metro area..

Wut.

Thats simply not true,

Every rail line in New Jersey, aside from Atlantic City, rumbles through Newark.

The walk from Penn Station to the stadium is like 10 minutes, and there are free shuttles.

Hoboken and Jersey city have direct access to Harrison. Manhattan does too, aside from weekends when PATH is as useful as my right nipple.

The whole Northeast corridor stops at Newark, for traveling fans. Never mind that its a big greyhound station.

And I actually arrived by car for the first time on Sunday. The drive was super easy. Took no more than 10 minutes from getting off the turnpike to being in a parking spot literally a balls kick from the stadium.

Certainly significantly easier to get to than PPL Park and the shithole that is Gillette, and sort of on par with RFK, but thats Metro only (no MARC or VRE). Actually, considering metro runs at 20 minute headways on weekends, Harrison is more convenient.

It's actually easier to look at which MLS stadiums are easier or as easy to get to...

Seattle, Houston....and, um....

- StatHunting: Effect ofAway Goals on 2nd Legs of MLS Conference Semifinals
zNnhE7g.png

Cells with white bars above and below represent aggregate ties, and are the scenarios in which the rule matters. In previous MLS home-and-home matchups, the 2nd leg would have gone to extra time, but now you only get OT if the two legs’ scorelines are palindromic. It is important to note that away goals will only count in regulation, so on rare instances where a matchup reaches overtime, the home side will get a glimmer of an edge. But if they can’t take advantage in 30 minutes, the edge evaporates, as studies have shown that penalty kick shootouts are home field neutral.
More via the link.

The walk from Penn Station to the stadium is like 10 minutes, and there are free shuttles.

It's not 10. It's about 25. all through a shitty part of town where it's not clear where you're going or what road to take to the stadium. I'm not familiar with the shuttle so I can comment there.

And I actually arrived by car for the first time on Sunday. The drive was super easy. Took no more than 10 minutes from getting off the turnpike to being in a parking spot literally a balls kick from the stadium.

I'd like to see it take 10 minutes for you to get from the Turnpike to the stadium with traffic. This is bullshit. I live in Harrison. It's a nightmare getting in from all directions-- off 280(east-west corridors), Ridge Road, 21, or through South Newark. And then never mind getting out, which is another fucking nightmare. There's one road where all the cars filter to. And you're stuck 20-30 minutes trying to escape Harrison. In short: stadium location is shitty and inconvenient for driving.

Meier

Added a third image above.
I love the purple. I look forward to catching a few games whenever I visit my mother down there. Just hoping the NYCFC blue isn't the same color as Man City's.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. It'll definitely be the same color for branding consistency. It'll be interesting to see if City move to Adidas in the future to also be in line with NYCFC.

xbhaskarx

US Soccer calls 9 MLS academy prospects to roster for U-16 national team camp in Clairefontaine, France

GOALKEEPERS (2): Alex Budnik (Sockers FC; Arlington Heights, Ill.), Eric Lopez (LA Galaxy; Westminster, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (8): Jose Alfaro Jr. (Fuerza Monarca; West Chicago, Ill.), Andrew Aprahamian (Philadelphia Union; Malvern, Pa.), Jordi Avila (Kendall SC; Hialeah Gardens, Fla.), McKay Eves (Real Salt Lake AZ; San Diego, Calif.), Kyle Gruno (Leicester City; Saddle River, N.J.), Matthew Real (Philadelphia Union; Drexel Hill, Pa.), Daniel Villegas (Chivas USA; Los Angeles, Calif.), Sam Vines (Colorado Rapids; Colorado Springs, Colo.)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Raul Aguilera Jr. (Orlando City; Sanford, Fla.), Jose Carranza (D.C. United; Manassas, Va.), Christopher Goslin (Georgia United; Locust Grove, Ga.), Nicholas Taitague (Richmond United; Midlothian, Va.), Juan Pablo Torres (Georgia United; Lilburn, Ga.)

FORWARDS (7): Andrew Carleton (Georgia United; Powder Springs, Ga.), Lucas Del Rosario (Capital Area RailHawks – CASL; Durham, N.C.), Jonathan Gonzalez (Monterrey; Santa Rosa, Calif.), Jeanpaul Marin (New York Red Bulls; Rego Park, N.Y.), Marty Raygoza (FC Golden State; South El Monte, Calif.), Adolfo Trujillo (De Anza Force; Livermore, Calif.), Hanif Wright (Unattached; Los Angeles, Calif.)

It's not 10. It's about 25. all through a shitty part of town where it's not clear where you're going or what road to take to the stadium. I'm not familiar with the shuttle so I can comment there.

This is just factually incorrect.

According to google maps, which is conservative, it takes 18 minutes walking
http://goo.gl/maps/PLoqB

Im a fast walker. So maybe 14 minutes. So slightly more than 10.

Shitty part of town? Sure, Raymond/Market is significantly less attractive than Ferry, But theres always hundreds of people walking. If they fixed the street lights it would be fine.

The shuttles are right outside Penn. They take maybe 15 minutes before the game and do the trip in 5 minutes after the game.

On Thursday we left the stadium at 10:10 and got to Penn with plenty of time to spare for the 10:30 train.

I'd like to see it take 10 minutes for you to get from the Turnpike to the stadium with traffic. This is bullshit. I live in Harrison. It's a nightmare getting in from all directions-- off 280(east-west corridors), Ridge Road, 21, or through South Newark. And then never mind getting out, which is another fucking nightmare. There's one road where all the cars filter to. And you're stuck 20-30 minutes trying to escape Harrison. In short: stadium location is shitty and inconvenient for driving.

Google Maps says 8 minutes.
http://goo.gl/maps/aQQap

I did it Sunday, in 10 minutes, one hour before the game. Zero traffic. Parked in the lot closest to the stadium.

Weekdays Im sure its different, thats why we took the train for the Thursday game.

As for leaving, zero traffic, but thats because we did a post game tailgate.

Lol no.

I clicked your link it says 19. Families are not walking market street if they want to catch a game.

also lol at your second link.

youre a troll go away.

Lol no.

I clicked your link it says 19. Families are not walking market street if they want to catch a game.

also lol at your second link.

youre a troll go away.

Dude, WTF?

Have you ever even been to a game? It seriously sounds like you havent.

Yes, families are walking down market street. Hundreds of them. Its a very popular route, before and after the game. There are traffic cops at every corner. Its been like that for every game Ive gone to.

And whats your problem with the second link? Thats the exact route we took. It took ten minutes. Google says 8. Is Google wrong? Am I wrong?

Maybe come back with facts rather than your lol shit?

This is where we parked. You can see the stadium on the left.

parking_zps1b2e7427.jpg

Seriously, wtf is your problem.

xbhaskarx

Way to shit up the thread...

In other news, here's are some important dates that are coming up:

"before December 1" - MLS dispersal draft for Chivas USA players

December 1 - Deadline for exercising player contract options

December 7 - MLS Cup Final

December 8, 2pm - Protected lists due

December 8 - Trade window opens

December 10 - MLS expansion draft

December 12 - MLS re-entry draft phase one

December 19 - MLS re-entry draft phase two

January 2 to 6 - MLS SuperDraft Caribbean combine

January 8 to 12 - MLS SuperDraft combine

January 15 - MLS SuperDraft

xbhaskarx

Investors detail plan to buy Scorpions, with MLS goal

A Japanese investment group outlined its interest in purchasing Gordon Hartman’s NASL franchise to the city council Monday, including its overarching intent to earn an expansion berth to Major League Soccer.

“It was very good,” said District 10 representative Mike Gallagher, perhaps the council’s most vocal supporter of bringing the top flight of U.S. professional soccer to San Antonio. “I was most impressed by how positive these guys are. Not a lot of detail yet. But they were very enthusiastic about investment, about bringing money to the table. They did mention one of their major goals was to make sure they brought MLS to San Antonio.”

Gallagher said the presentation was broad, with the finer details saved for a later meeting Monday with city staff to examine financial parameters. Gallagher did not attend that meeting. Hartman, who was expected to be there, declined comment through a spokesman.

Gallagher described the council’s reaction to the presentation as “very positive.”

A deal will hinge on the use of city funds to purchase the Scorpions’ home stadium, Toyota Field, located in Gallagher’s district on the Northeast side off I-35. Multiple sources say Hartman wants almost $30 million for the soccer-specific stadium, which was completed last year with the infrastructure to more than double its current capacity to the 18,000 or so necessary for MLS membership.

The facility would then be leased by the city to the investment group, which would absorb the various costs and fees required to join MLS. Sources have said that figure will total at least $100 million.

xbhaskarx

Indy NASL challengers tap fan support that goes up to Eleven

Last weekend, Indy Eleven saw their first year in the North American Soccer League (NASL) come to a close. The Indianapolis-based team’s performances will hardly light up the record books: bottom of the spring season with just four points, seventh in the fall, eighth in the combined league table.

Beyond the 11 men on the field, though, the figures of this fledgling club tell a rather more prosperous story. For Indy Eleven – as well as the number of players in a team, their moniker pays homage to the 11th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, which fought in the American civil war – posted another “11” that statisticians can now tie to the club: it was the number, in thousands, that turned out for the team’s most-attended game. Throughout their opening year, Indy, who play at a 32-year-old track stadium, averaged crowds of 10,465, selling out every home match to become the best-supported team in the league.

According to the club, the feat has not been matched: Indy, they claim, are the first team in US professional soccer history to sell out every home match in their inaugural season. Fans continue to press for next year’s now-capped season tickets; the club is looking to accommodate demand.

f918fa1f-1732-4691-9ac4-5c9f45b0446c-620x372.jpeg

When asked if this is geared towards a push for an MLS franchise, those at the club gave predominantly pro-NASL responses.

“My goal is to build one of best soccer – or sports – organisations in the United States, which is considered as one of the best experiences, making sure that people are enjoying the experience, as well as a good team on the field, and a great front office, continuing to become very competitive,” Ozdemir said.

“It doesn’t matter who we play – whether it’s an NASL team or an MLS team – as soccer continues our organisation will grow.”

Some Philly news

Kevin Kinkead
‏@KevinKCBS3
Another thing I'm hearing is that Philly likes the idea of having its own USL Pro team. Some executives want to cut ties with Harrisburg

Eh. I can kinda see why it would be important to have your own USL Pro team but it doesn't make much sense at the moment...

Kevin Kinkead
‏@KevinKCBS3
Rene Meulensteen - nothing new on this. He is still in the picture as some sort of executive, a "Sporting Director" type of title

Kevin Kinkead
‏@KevinKCBS3
One structure I'm hearing about would have Curtin as the head coach, with Meulensteen as a Sporting Director, and new assistants

Kevin Kinkead
‏@KevinKCBS3
I think Meulensteen would be like an Andy Roxburgh type, where he'd have a say in the soccer operations across the entire franchise

If we can get Meulensteen to take complete control and avoid having Sak fuck around with the team then I will be immensely grateful. In fact at this point, I would blindly trust Meulensteen for any and all decisions at this point. It's that desperate.

- MLS Soccer: Awards Season: Andrew Wiebe & the Armchair Analyst hand out some unofficial nods
Officially speaking, awards season is just about on us. You can see the 2014 AT&T Goal of the Year schedule HERE, while the 2014 Save of the Year schedule is HERE.

Then there's the usual suspects, which will be announced at the end of November and into the beginning of December: Volkswagen MLS MVP, Rookie of the Year, Goalkeeper of the Year and so on.

Great and necessary awards. But we've got five others we'd like to see:

• Breakout Player of the Year for the player who's come out of relative obscurity to perform at a high level. It could be someone who was reserve team fodder finally finding his place (Chris Wondolowski in 2010), or a former high draft pick who finally made good on his talent (Chance Myers in 2011). Second-year players aren't eligible.

• Young Player of the Year is a bit broader than Rookie of the Year, and a way to throw a nod to guys who signed in their teens and worked their way up the ladder. Diego Fagundez would have been a lock for the award last year, for example. We'll limit it to guys who were born on or after January 1, 1993.

• For some reason, defensive midfielders never get any recognition one way or the other in awards balloting. So we're going to hand out Defensive Midfielder of the Year, with self-explanatory criteria. The same can be said of fullbacks, so we'll be handing out Fullback of the Year as well.

• And finally we're going to give a nod to the 12th man - the Super Sub of the Year. It's limited to players who came off the bench in at least half their games.
Their picks via the link.

Osorio

MLS Insider brought up the Curse of Caricola again

I was pretty sure that ended last season...

edit: nvm, it was from last season

Judderman

drawer by drawer
So who's going to this bus trip?

Got my ticket just now. Will be at the MSG stop on Saturday morning

I would love to go, but members of my family threatened physical violence upon me if I miss this dinner. I'll probably watch it at Legends.

ATF487

Bought Revs tickets for Sunday, I think attendance should be pretty good; most of the lower bowl is sold out. Thought they might even run a commuter rail train but that doesn't look to be the case.

I'm pumped, I've been following the team on and off since I went to my first game in the late ninties at the old Foxboro stadium (against the Rapids, I think Joe Max Moore scored a penalty), but I can't remember the team playing this well. They were competitive in the early 2000s but I've been impressed with their quality of play at times this season, which is a stark contrast to many seasons where I legitimately thought I could break into the team if I got into shape.

edit: Just googled my first game, Peter Vermes scored!

Bought Revs tickets for Sunday, I think attendance should be pretty good; most of the lower bowl is sold out. Thought they might even run a commuter rail train but that doesn't look to be the case.

I'm pumped, I've been following the team on and off since I went to my first game in the late ninties at the old Foxboro stadium (against the Rapids, I think Joe Max Moore scored a penalty), but I can't remember the team playing this well. They were competitive in the early 2000s but I've been impressed with their quality of play at times this season, which is a stark contrast to many seasons where I legitimately thought I could break into the team if I got into shape.

edit: Just googled my first game, Peter Vermes scored!

I'm tailgating!

Meier

Looks good! It's odd, you can't tell it in that shot, but in the close-up preview, the league badge has gold trim -- it looks a lot more vibrant.

Here's some more detail (the old crest being on the inside is a nice touch):

KitDetails2.jpg

And a bigger version of CB's pic:

You can slightly make out the gold on Kaka's arm, but it's still pretty washed out even in the higher res version.

Photo from the press conference -- the gold on the league badge is more evident in real life:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom