• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

• It’ll be a while before the U.S. is at full-strength again

This game will leave a bad taste in the mouths of the U.S. players, and it should. But it won’t be until March before we see a truly full-strength U.S. team again. The January camp will be composed almost entirely of MLS players, though you’d think the group would include Dempsey, Jones and probably Bradley.

God I hope not, it would be another missed opportunity to take a look at young MLS players. What is the point of calling in guys like Dempsey, Jones, and Bradley? Obviously they're going to be playing a big role on the summer's Gold Cup roster in any case. January camp should be an opportunity to figure out which new players can supplement the established ones. Maybe call in a few for continuity or to try something out, but it would be a stupid to waste too many spots on guys who are struggling like Besler / Zusi or who need to start being aged out of the group like Beckerman / Beasley.

If I had to pick a 23 man roster for January camp it would look something like this:
GK: Bill Hamid, Steve Clark, Luis Robles
LB: Ray Gaddis, Robbie Rogers
CB: Matt Hedges, Shane O'Neill, Steve Birnbaum, Chris Schuler
RB: Deandre Yedlin, Andrew Farrell
DM: Perry Kitchen, Wil Trapp, Dillon Powers, Tony Tchani
M: Lee Nguyen, Harrison Shipp, Kelyn Rowe, Luis Silva, Ethan Finlay
F: Gyasi Zardes, Jack McInerney, Tesho Akindele

Even beyond that list there are plenty of other guys worth looking at: Sean Johnson, Kofi Sarkodie, Chris Klute, Nick Hagglund, Amobi Okugo, Luis Gil, Victor Ulloa, Dillon Serna, Dilly Duka, Nick DeLeon, plus of course Miguel Ibarra and Christian Ramirez from NASL.

Obviously not all of them will cut it, but I think a good half dozen (Nguyen, Hedges, Trapp, Silva) have the ability to become regulars in the near term...

xbhaskarx

Paul Carr @PCarrESPN
#USMNT's 4-1 loss to 61st-ranked Ireland is its worst ever to a team ranked outside the FIFA top 60 (FWIW).

Breaking more records... that is actually sort of amazing considering how awful the US was before the 1990s and even until like 2000.

sure overtraining is to blame when you can't even put one foot forward right.

Read this
- MLS Analyst: Song remains the same as Jurgen Klinsman's USMNT collapse late

Not like dudes like McGeady and Long wouldn't walk into our squad....

You come off a bit desperate when you talk up the quality of a "B-C squad at best" of a team ranked in the 60s.

Arials

You come off as desperate when you talk up the B-C squad of a team ranked in the 60s.

Do you really not know about players like Long and McGeady? They would walk into the US starting XI let alone the squad.

And FIFA rankings are a poor indicator of quality.

Fifa rankings only benefit people who don't understand how they are worse than ncaa football rankings and generally mean absolutely jack shit. i can't believe people actually legitimately use them.

seriously fifa rankings suck. so. much. go for elo or don't go at all.

ELO: US 17, Ireland 36 for what it's worth.

xbhaskarx

you mean the same Matt Doyle who belongs to the same anti-Klinsmann brigade?

It's all a big anti-Klinsmann conspiracy!
All the losses and all the late goals conceded over the last 11 games, Matt Doyle and the anti-Klinsmann illuminati are reponsible not Klinsmann.

When the US concedes goals after the 80th minute in 10 of their last 11 games, perhaps reality has an anti-Klinsmann bias.

Klinsmann needs to recognize our players just aren't good enough to play the way he wants them to play. Mix Diskerud is not the answer. Has never been. Will never be.

Nesotenso

It's all a big anti-Klinsmann conspiracy!
All the losses and all the late goals conceded over the last 11 games, Matt Doyle and the anti-Klinsmann illuminati are reponsible not Klinsmann.

When the US concedes goals after the 80th minute in 10 of their last 11 games, perhaps reality has an anti-Klinsmann bias.

maybe not, but it sure is a ridiculous vendetta from some folks only make louder by the MLS dissing.

as to the second part, or you know when you are constantly deflecting barrage of attacks against stronger opponents or failing to finish it off against Ecuador/Honduras, you are bound to get scored on.

Cystm

Why experiment in friendlies when you can just stick to the same formula that has not been working either.

Players get older. A lot of our current stars are going to be beyond their prime when 2018 rolls around.

Think ahead to the World Cup.

It is embarrassing that we lost to what amounts to a second string squad, but I think I would rather us lose some friendlies now at this point in time before qualifying, before copa, and before it really starts to count against us in a significant way.

yeah it's just a friendly. it's not like we lost like Brazil did in the semi-finals of the actual world cup.

i may be in the minority who isn't freaking the fuck out and calling for Klinsmann's head at the moment.

find out who works and who doesn't now so we don't get embarrassed when it actually matters.

Dartastic

Wouldn't surprise me. I don't really expect Collin to be in SKC blues next season. Deserved or not, he's going to want money that we're not willing to pay and probably won't come down from what he thinks he's worth.
Yeah. Understandably. But if we nab him and can put him next to Ridgewell, that's got the potential to be a really good CB tandem, which is something we have been lacking. Also, if we offload Kah we have money to potentially put towards him. I kinda hope it happens.

Osorio

I know right.

Looks like the Revs supporters groups are tailgating at the game instead of going to a pub. Maybe I'll see you wandering around?

Our pre-game bar closed down so we're going to do a tailgate ourselves for the first time in like 5 years. So maybe.

I know ESC and Midnight Riders are cool with each other.

Askani

Yeah. Understandably. But if we nab him and can put him next to Ridgewell, that's got the potential to be a really good CB tandem, which is something we have been lacking. Also, if we offload Kah we have money to potentially put towards him. I kinda hope it happens.

I think a telling sign will be the dispersal draft today since our pick is so high. Most people in our circle expect us to take a hard look at Jean-Baptiste. If that's the case, it makes it a little harder om Collin and SKC getting a deal done. But then again you get to the nuance if a defender is picked to replace Collin, or if they are there to replace Opara if his recovery is going bad.

- MLS Soccer: MLS confirms expansion meetings with Las Vegas, Minneapolis & Sacramento set for Thursday
Three markets will present their case for a Major League Soccer expansion team on Thursday in New York as the league looks to meet its stated goal of 24 teams by the end of the decade.

The league office confirmed on Wednesday that representatives from Las Vegas, Minneapolis, and Sacramento will make presentations at MLS headquarters on Thursday, November 20.

New York City FC and Orlando City will debut in 2015, while new clubs in Los Angeles and Atlanta will launch in 2017.

According to the league, following Thursday’s meeting, future expansion will be discussed further at the MLS Board of Governors meeting, set to be held on December 6.

The Quakes stadium naming rights announcement is going on right now. We already know it's Avaya, but there are some other tidbits in this SJ Mercury News article that are worth a quick look.
The South Bay soccer club is set to announce Wednesday that the team's new home will be called Avaya Stadium when it opens next to San Jose International Airport in March. Avaya, a Santa Clara-based global firm that provides tech services to other companies, will pay $20 million over 10 years.

It comes as the Earthquakes also revealed for the first time that the cost of the privately financed stadium, originally pegged at $60 million when construction began two years ago, has shot up to about $100 million. That's still roughly average for a new MLS stadium.

Team officials reiterated that the franchise, co-owned by A's owner Lew Wolff, would fund the extra cost without taxpayer expense or higher ticket prices. The Earthquakes say the increase is not a cost overrun, but rather was the result of late add-ons such as improved scoreboards, more solar panels, higher-end finishes, a new party deck, an upper concourse, player amenities and other features the team will unveil in the coming months.
Most MLS teams have a stadium naming rights sponsor, and they range from roughly $1 million to $2 million per year. By far the biggest MLS deal is believed to be for the Los Angeles Galaxy's massive StubHub Center, at more than $7 million per year, while the Toronto FC have an agreement with the Bank of Montreal that hits nearly $2.4 million annually, according to the Sports Business Journal.

"I would have thought that San Jose might have gotten a little bit more given the market" in Silicon Valley, said Gemini Sports Group president Rob Yowell, who has brokered naming rights deals for the Golden State Warriors, Galaxy and many other teams. "But overall, it's probably a pretty solid deal for the Quakes."

But the extra sponsorship revenue will pay for only half of the $40 million increase to construction, which represents about a decade's worth of player salaries.

EDIT: It's official:
GXajd3z.jpg

ld1BSNF.jpg

Osorio

The game is sold out pretty much. You can only get scattered seats throughout the stadium, no two are together.

About 1,150 left on Stubhub

I'm sure the middle seats in the lower level will somehow still be showing but otherwise it'll look like a full crowd.

xbhaskarx

Chivas Dispersal Draft is today...

2014-15 MLS Offseason Calendar

November 14 - Weighted draw for MLS Dispersal Draft

November 19 - MLS Dispersal Draft for Chivas USA players

December 1 - Deadline for exercising player contract options

December 7 - MLS Cup Final

December 8 – Half-day Trade Window: Open 9 am ET - 1 pm ET. Teams may trade during that window or may re-sign their own players. Blackout period starts at 1 pm ET, runs through the MLS Expansion Draft.

December 10 - MLS Expansion Draft

December 10 - Trade Window opens at the end of Expansion Draft; closes on December 11, 2014, at 5 pm ET

December 10 – MLS Waiver Draft

December 12 - MLS Re-entry Draft, Phase One

December 12 – Trade Window opens at the end of Re-entry Draft Phase One; closes on December 17, 2014, at 11 am ET

December 18 - MLS Re-entry Draft, Phase Two

December 18 – Trade Window opens at the end of Re-entry Draft Phase Two

January 2 to 5 - MLS Caribbean Combine

January 9 to 13 - MLS SuperDraft Combine

January 15 - MLS SuperDraft

Anyone know what time the dispersal draft starts, and if it will be streamed?

Expansion Draft Rules

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/2014-expansion-draft-rules

• MLS clubs may protect 11 players between their Senior Roster and their Supplemental Roster. If the player’s contract expires at the end of 2014, he will still be considered part of the club’s roster.

• If a club protects a player, it is not obligated to exercise the player’s option. It may renegotiate subject to terms of the CBA.

• If a player retires, he will not be a part of the club’s roster, but his club will lose its right of first refusal to him should he ultimately decide to play.

• Players on a club’s Supplemental Roster, other than Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2014 MLS season or Homegrown Players on a club’s Supplemental Roster, will be part of the expansion draft.

• Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2014 MLS season and Homegrown Players on a club’s Supplemental Roster at the end of the 2014 MLS season are automatically protected (clubs do not have to use a protected slot on them).

• If NYCFC or Orlando City SC selects a Supplemental Roster Player, it must offer him a Senior Roster position and he must remain on the Senior Roster as of Roster Compliance Date.

• Clubs are restricted in the number of International Player(s) that they may make available. Clubs may make available a number of International Players equal to their total number of International Players minus three, provided that if a club has three or fewer International Players it may make available not more than one. (See table below).

• For purposes of this expansion process, any non-domestic U.S. players will count as an International.

• Designated Players are NOT automatically protected (i.e., clubs must choose whether to protect such players and if such player is not protected, he will be available for selection in the Expansion Draft). However, if the Designated Player has a no-trade clause in his contract, then his MLS club must protect him and he will count as one of the 11 players who may be protected.

• Once two players have been claimed from a team’s non-protected roster, that team is eliminated from the expansion draft and may not lose any further players. In addition, once a player has been claimed from a club’s non-protected roster, that club may move a player from its non-protected roster to its protected roster.

• Right to Negotiate: NYCFC and Orlando City SC will have the right to renegotiate a draft player’s salary (either up or down) without having to place such player on waivers or giving his previous club a right of first refusal.

• Rounds: The expansion draft will consist of 10 rounds.

Code:
Number of Internationals               Minimum Must Protect   May Make Available Not More Than
10                                                        3                                              7                     
9                                                          3                                              6
8                                                          3                                              5
7                                                          3                                              4
6                                                          3                                              3
5                                                          3                                              2
4                                                          3                                              1
3                                                          2                                              1
2                                                          1                                              1
1                                                          0                                              1

Osorio

If Henry and Peguy are retiring we should be able to protect our solid core.

We can leave Eckersley unprotected cuz I don't think anybody wants to take his salary.

Watch NYCFC take Meara. Ugh.

Osorio

Castano is a Union City, NJ kid and he seems to be doing well with the U-20s so I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I see his dad kinda often actually. Only guy walking around in a Santiago Castano jersey lol

xbhaskarx

If I was looking to make the playoffs, I probably wouldn't count on Tally Hall as my number one goalkeeper, and I certainly wouldn't count on Josh Saunders (unless he's no longer a headcase, I haven't exactly been paying attention)...

Arials

If I was looking to make the playoffs, I probably wouldn't count on Tally Hall as my number one goalkeeper, and I certainly wouldn't count on Josh Saunders (unless he's no longer a headcase, I haven't exactly been paying attention)...

Saunder's shirt number at NYCFC is 12 and Orlando are trying to sign Jack Butland. So looks like they probably agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom