• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askani

I don't understand the need for a gag order by MLS, but they do some strange stuff sometimes.

Why should we know now? That mandatory 30-60 minute wait is key. It could bring the league to it's knees if it's released as it happens for a random crap draft 1/2 the teams probably don't care about. Mass hysteria!

xbhaskarx

I don't understand the need for a gag order by MLS, but they do some strange stuff sometimes.

It makes no sense. But then again the MLB draft was conducted via conference call for decades. Still, MLS is supposed to be a young modern hip league, why wouldn't they just live stream this like they do with just about everything else...

B21a3bDIQAALY2f.jpg:large

xbhaskarx

Basically six young and cheap players plus Dan Kennedy.

I'm surprised so many teams passed on Delgado... and I don't get why a new team (Orlando) and two teams that could use a forward (KC, New England) would pass on Calvert.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It makes no sense. But then again the MLB draft was conducted via conference call for decades. Still, MLS is supposed to be a young modern hip league, why wouldn't they just live stream this like they do with just about everything else...

Probably because almost everyone passed...

You'd think you would only have to worry about NYCFC taking a GK, no? Orlando City already traded for Tally Hall

yeah but the issue is with Blake (Jamaica) and M'Bolhi (Algeria) we'd need a keeper for when they get called for international duty.

Protect Blake and M'Bolhi and you run the issue of not having anyone during international dates. Protect Blake and MacMath you run the issue of letting the guy you just signed go, and if you protect M'Bolhi and MacMath you lose the guy you signed to a GA contract and traded up to get him....

that's if any keepers go at all, but you can't risk the chance of any one of them getting taken, depending on the need.

Meier

I was surprised they didn't broadcast it. I guess it's not worth it in their mind, but at least throw it on the web or something.. fans like to participate in stuff like that.

Kris Tyrpak played for the Austin Aztex and is from the area -- hope he gets a good chance with the Quakes!

xbhaskarx

Armchair Analyst: Asset collection and the lure of youth in Chivas USA Dispersal Draft

Caleb Calvert to the Rapids and Kris Tyrpak to San Jose were pure "Youth and Potential" picks. Calvert, 18, is a pure target player who's yet to get any MLS minutes but has had people buzzing for years, since he was the USSDA Player of the Year. I don't think he's a contributor in 2015, but with another 12 months of seasoning in USL PRO, he could be part of the answer up top for this young Colorado group come 2016.

Tyrpak is a few years older than Calvert and had that one moment in 2014 when he turned into Messi:
ObviousLimpArctichare.gif

Can he do it on a consistent basis? Well, no - he can't do that on a consistent basis. But he looked like a technical, inventive young attacker for a team that badly needed exactly that for much of this season. And it's worth noting that new Quakes head coach Dom Kinnear is very familiar with Tyrpak, who went to school at Houston Baptist and spent his share of time at Dynamo training.

Tyrpak was the USL PDL player of the year in 2013 with the Austin Aztex, by the way. He's done good stuff against good competition before.

Osorio

Would be sweet if Cubo replaced Henry on the squad

Our last Mexican player was Rafa Marquez

Still get disgusted thinking about it

xbhaskarx

I hope he goes to Houston or Chicago, I think those are the two teams that need him on the field and where he could make the most impact on the popularity of the team.

xbhaskarx

Third DP is coming...

San Jose Earthquakes land sought-after tech partnership in stadium naming deal, on the hunt for third DP
On that front, Kaval said the Quakes are “evaluating options for a third” Designated Player to go alongside current DPs Chris Wondolowski and Matias Perez Garcia.

“We’ve had numerous trips, internationally, to source and look at potential options,” Kaval said. “We have to find the right player at the right time, but we fully expect . . . to be maxing out our DP spots. That’s something that the fans should understand. And all of that is connected to this stadium, to these types of partnerships and everything that we’re doing on the commercial side of the business.”

Osorio

BWP should get breakout player of the year.

His evolution throughout the season has been incredible.

What's amazing is that with 27 goals he missed so many fucking chances.

Awards finalists:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...nguyen-vie-mvp-mls-announces-awards-finalists

2014 Major League Soccer Awards Finalists
(Listed in alphabetical order by last name within each award category)

Volkswagen Most Valuable Player Finalists
Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy)
Obafemi Martins (Seattle Sounders)
Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution)

AT&T Rookie of the Year Finalists
Tesho Akindele (FC Dallas)
Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United)
Harry Shipp (Chicago Fire)

Defender of the Year Finalists
Bobby Boswell (D.C. United)
Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy)
Chad Marshall (Seattle Sounders)

Coach of the Year Finalists
Gregg Berhalter (Columbus Crew SC)
Ben Olsen (D.C. United)
Sigi Schmid (Seattle Sounders)

Comeback Player of the Year Finalists
Charlie Davies (New England Revolution)
Stefan Frei (Seattle Sounders)
Rodney Wallace (Portland Timbers)

Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year Finalists
Steve Clark (Columbus Crew SC)
Bill Hamid (D.C. United)
Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

Newcomer of the Year Finalists
Stefan Ishizaki (LA Galaxy)
Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution)
Pedro Morales (Vancouver Whitecaps)

MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year Finalists
Diego Chara (Portland Timbers)
AJ DeLaGarza (LA Galaxy)
Zach Loyd (FC Dallas)

Xbox Individual Fair Play Finalists*
Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers)
Michael Parkhurst (Columbus Crew SC)
Harry Shipp (Chicago Fire)
*Selected by MLS based on objective criteria such as fouls committed, cards received, games & minutes played, as well as subjective evaluation of sportsmanlike behavior.

Xbox Team Fair Play Finalists*
LA Galaxy
Philadelphia Union
Real Salt Lake
*Selected by MLS based on objective criteria such as fewest fouls committed, cards received, and on subjective evaluation of sportsmanlike behavior.

Referee of the Year Finalists
Mark Geiger
Jair Marrufo
Alan Kelly

Assistant Referee of the Year Finalists
Peter Manikowski
Paul Scott
Adam Wienckowski

Awards Announcements Schedule:
Schedule subject to change

Nov. 24: AT&T Rookie of the Year, Xbox Fair Play Individual and Team of the Year
Nov. 25: MLS Defender of the Year, MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year, and Referee/Assistant Referee of the Year
Dec. 2: MLS Coach of the Year, Comeback Player of the Year and MLS Best XI
Dec. 3: Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year, Newcomer of the Year and Volkswagen MLS MVP
Dec. 4: AT&T Goal of the Year, MLS Save of the Year

Askani

Back to the Besler conversation since there was an article about it today.

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2014...wo-years-near-nonstop-soccer-club-and-country

More than 22 months ago, Matt Besler was selected to the United States Men’s National Team roster for a three-week training camp in Carson, California. The camp ran from Jan. 7-27, 2013 and culminated with his international debut against Canada on Jan. 29.

Fast forward to present day and Besler’s game log since the beginning of 2013 is 86 lines deep.

Forty-three matches in each of the last two calendar years. More than 7,400 minutes recorded in eight different countries. Six combined competitions for club and country. Three extended training camps with the national team and two preseason camps with Sporting Kansas City. And numerous friendlies to intensify his globetrotting ventures, ranging from MLS All-Star Games to World Cup tune-ups.

Following a 90-minute performance in the United States’ 4-1 loss to Ireland on Tuesday, the Sporting KCcaptain finished almost two uninterrupted years of serving his club and country.

The odyssey lasted nearly 700 days and included less than a month of offseason rest.

Consider that the January 2013 camp led into a February preseason with Sporting KC, which didn’t finish its season until winning MLS Cup on Dec. 7. Then, after a few weeks off -- during which time he got married -- he began preparation for another U.S. training camp that commenced Jan. 6.

His 2014 calendar bore a similar resemblance.

Sporting KC’s season ended a month earlier this time around, but another U.S. call-up extended Besler’s season well into November. This year also involved a physically challenging World Cup campaign that saw him start all four U.S. MNT matches in Brazil.

Besler started 85 of his 86 appearances during this stretch. He played in three club competitions (MLS regular season, MLS Playoffs and the CONCACAF Champions League) and three national team competitions (2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup, 2014 World Cup Qualifying and 2014 World Cup). That’s not to mention friendlies in both Sporting blue and the stars and stripes.

He saw competitive action in eight countries. He logged MLS minutes in the United States and Canada. The CONCACAF Champions League sent him to Mexico and Nicaragua. World Cup Qualifying prompted trips to Jamaica, Costa Rica and another visit to Mexico. The FIFA World Cup took him to Brazil. This past week, he finally concluded the two-year trek as an unused substitute in England and a starter in Ireland.

Meeting the demands yielded rewards -- most notably an MLS Cup trophy and a consistent presence in head coach Jurgen Klinsmann’s side. Since the beginning of 2013, Besler’s 23 caps trail only Jozy Altidore, DaMarcus Beasley and Alejandro Bedoya (24 each). In 2014 alone, no U.S. player has more starts than Besler’s 11.

The 27-year-old may not be the only player with at least 86 games played over the last two years, but steady involvement with the national team coupled with a domestic league that requires far more travel than others makes for two incredibly demanding years of near-nonstop soccer.

Now, at long last, Besler is presented the opportunity to rest for longer than just a few weeks. Given the mileage he’s put in over the last two years, it will certainly be a welcome break.

Code:
Competition                 2013  2014  TOTAL
MLS appearances*              28    25     53
MLS minutes*                2580  2235   4815
CCL appearances                2     5      7
CCL minutes                  180   450    630
Club friendly appearances**    1     2      3
Club friendly minutes         45    90    135
USMNT appearances             12    11     23
USMNT minutes                996   844   1840
Total appearances             43    43     86
Total minutes               3801  3619   7420

*  includes MLS postseason
** includes MLS All-Star game

Osorio

How many of us are gonna be there on Sunday?

I'll probably stay at a friend's house in Newark and pre-game at his house in the morning. But I'll be at the ESC tailgate around noon.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
How many of us are gonna be there on Sunday?

I'll probably stay at a friend's house in Newark and pre-game at his house in the morning. But I'll be at the ESC tailgate around noon.

I'm taking the bus from Legends (+3!), but I'm in 107 for the game. :(

Those have been the top 3 candidates over like the last couple months or so. You could bump Keane off maybe but Oba+Lee are pretty up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom