• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arials

GothamistDan said:
Petke didn't know BWP was suspended until asked about it during press conference. BWP also says he didn't know a yellow card would suspend him.

BWP refused to comment on the officials fearing a fine, but added: "I thought Jermaine Jones reffed the game well today."

You can just about forgive BWP being unaware, but the manager should have known which of his players could pick up a suspension with a cheap yellow and informed them. Big fuck up to lose a 30 goal striker like that.

TeegsD

Welp, just couldn't do anything right going forward. Keeping Galaxy scoreless is gonna be tough but at least itll be at home.

Cystm

Redbulls ran out of energy towards the second half of the match and give up what might just be the final nail in the series let alone game one.
How about those two leg series rules NY fans?

They are now going to have to get a huge away win without BWP.

LA v Seattle could go either way and I am really looking forward to it.

Overall both of these matches were solid to watch.

Osorio

I'm not even mad. Our fans at the stadium were shit. Honestly I'll take 15,000 hardcores over what was there today. They had more skill and we had more heart and the result is what it is.

I have the smallest of hopes in the second leg but NE are the better team.

CityLab: Why the Future of Major League Soccer Is Downtown:

"The bigger backbone of their fan base in most cases is going to be that young adult consumer," says Mark S. Nagel, a sport and entertainment management professor at the University of South Carolina. "That 21 to 34 demographic is in the area of success for some of these soccer clubs," he adds.

Nagel has studied the relationship between MLS stadium locations and attendance extensively, co-authoring a report on the topic that was published last year. Fifteen years ago, he says, as the league doubled down on soccer-specific stadiums, the suburbs seemed like a good fit. Parking capacity was robust. Land was affordable. Suburban families with young kids enthusiastic about soccer could easily access the arenas. But a suburban-centric fan base—despite attendance increases—may ultimately have a low ceiling for the league.

In fact, an MLS match loses 260 potential fans for every mile the stadium is located outside its nearest urban core, according to Nagel's study. An MLS stadium's "distance from the city center has a magnified effect," on attendance, he and his co-author concluded. (Their findings were based on a regression, which combined average attendance of MLS games between 1999 and 2011 with the amenities offered in each stadium based on a number of arena quality-rating services.) Recent announcements by the MLS seem to indicate that the league is aware of the limitations of the suburbs and exurbs. The league's next revolution is likely to take place downtown.

It's a shame several teams have relatively new stadiums far from the urban centers they're meant to represent.

Cystm

i7aaJdjowH63w.jpg

Can't believe Petke and BWP had no idea a yellow would keep him out of the second leg. Someone needs to be fired over that.

Wasn't thrilled with the Sounders result but I think L.A. is really going to wish they went after a second goal when they get to a jam packed Seattle. Hope Ozzie is back but Azira filled in well on the defensive side.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not even mad. Our fans at the stadium were shit. Honestly I'll take 15,000 hardcores over what was there today. They had more skill and we had more heart and the result is what it is.

I have the smallest of hopes in the second leg but NE are the better team.

Honestly we had the chances to win this game, even with the shit ref. We missed a few sitters, had our finishing been better it could easily have ended in a 4-2 win for us. It comes down to us having to sink more of those shots, like that header BWP missed at the end of the first half. We can't miss shit like that otherwise this is what happens.

Osorio

Honestly we had the chances to win this game, even with the shit ref. We missed a few sitters, had our finishing been better it could easily have ended in a 4-2 win for us. It comes down to us having to sink more of those shots, like that header BWP missed at the end of the first half. We can't miss shit like that otherwise this is what happens.

Yeah this is true. I dunno I just wasn't that pissed at the end. I was disappointed in our fans, and the boys showed heart but the quality wasn't there

Ref was atrocious however. Jones should have a red.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah this is true. I dunno I just wasn't that pissed at the end. I was disappointed in our fans, and the boys showed heart but the quality wasn't there

Ref was atrocious however. Jones should have a red.

Oh definitely, that was the worst ref I've ever seen. It wasn't only the red, we should probably have had a penalty as well early on. If we can finish more of our chances next week then we can definitely still advance.

My section was screaming our heads off until the very end. It was just so frustrating to see us get all these great chances and be unable to put them in the net.

Osorio

Oh definitely, that was the worst ref I've ever seen. It wasn't only the red, we should probably have had a penalty as well early on. If we can finish more of our chances next week then we can definitely still advance.

My section was screaming our heads off until the very end. It was just so frustrating to see us get all these great chances and be unable to put them in the net.

Maybe Cahill will have a better conversion rate than BWP

What cost us was that sub of Cahill for Alexander. Ruined the shit of our shape later on with us pushing too far ahead in the wrong places.

I guess I was more disappointed with my section. It was like 70% tourists who I guess wanted to be in the party without contributing to it. I seriously saw people taking selfies all game and paying more attention to their nachos. So frustrating. Give me my 10,000 empty seats instead.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Yea, those refs fucked us so hard it isn't even funny.

You should have heard the shit we were yelling at them as the game progressed and we kept getting carded for random shit.

The most frustrating thing is that even with us getting fucked by the refs, we still could have won. We didn't get beat so much as we gave them a win with our shitty finishing.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
eExQt9p.png

Hearing/Reading this and it doesn't seem surprising that Jones wasn't shown a red.

I'm not even mad. Our fans at the stadium were shit. Honestly I'll take 15,000 hardcores over what was there today.

Not sure what you were mean. I thought the crowd was good. I was in 107, fwiw.

In other news, Red Bulls are having a poll for the Season Ticket Holder scarf for 2015:

TD1TPIP.jpg

If you vote for anything but 3, getout.gif

Yea lets be real. BWP's shitty finishing plagued him at the worst time. He's gotta bury those chances.

Also Cahill has been shit. But he's playing out of position and does not currently fit our scheme. Losing Alexander was terrible for us.

But I like that Peggy, Sam, Henry, BWP, Oyongo played with a lot of fire, something that's been lacking in past playoff performance. I especially love how emotional Peggy gets, he's a great Bull.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
eExQt9p.png

Hearing/Reading this and it doesn't seem surprising that Jones wasn't shown a red.

That's utter bullshit and I wouldn't be shocked if our game was the same. It wasn't only the red, but the lack of the penalty and the fact that it seemed like the ref was more than willing to card us and not them for doing the same shit.

Yea lets be real. BWP's shitty finishing plagued him at the worst time. He's gotta bury those chances.

Also Cahill has been shit. But he's playing out of position and does not currently fit our scheme. Losing Alexander was terrible for us.

But I like that Peggy, Sam, Henry, BWP, Oyongo played with a lot of fire, something that's been lacking in past playoff performance. I especially love how emotional Peggy gets, he's a great Bull.

Cahill should be playing in the attacking half next game with BWP out. It's just a question of who will be on top, him or Henry.

Arials

BWP's shitty finishing

According to the stats over on MLSsoccer BWP has the 2nd best shot conversion rate in the league for all players who have scored 5+ goals (1st place goes to Luis Silva who only has 11 goals). Keane, Dempsey and Dwyer have all taken more shots and scored significantly less goals. His finishing really isn't shit.

And TBH even if Red Bull go out because he missed a few they only got so far in the first place because he was scoring so many.

- Jeff Carlisle: U.S. men's national team 2014 report cards
There is more than one lens to view 2014 for the U.S. national team. The side got out of a very difficult World Cup group, and won plenty of fans along the way. Yet stylistically the U.S. didn't veer too far from the approach of past sides, leaving one to wonder just how much progress has been made in the Jurgen Klinsmann era.

The same is true for the players. The extreme competition at the World Cup and elsewhere results in fluctuating form for more than a few performers. And as we saw in the cases of the Jozy Altidore, Michael Bradley and Aron Johannsson, injury can take a toll as well.

With that in mind, here are the final report cards for 2014. (For field players a minimum of five appearances is required.)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
According to the stats over on MLSsoccer BWP has the 2nd best shot conversion rate in the league for all players who have scored 5+ goals (1st place goes to Luis Silva who only has 11 goals). Keane, Dempsey and Dwyer have all taken more shots and scored significantly less goals. His finishing really isn't shit.

And TBH even if Red Bull go out because he missed a few they only got so far in the first place because he was scoring so many.

That may be so, but he's still missed an absolute ton of shots he could have made. Henry's absolutely right that he could have snagged the record half way through the season if he could capitalize on more of those chances.

- US Soccer: JK Q&A: Klinsmann Closes the Book on 2014 and Previews 2015
After finishing off the 2014 slate with a pair of friendlies against Colombia and Ireland in the United Kingdom, U.S. Men's National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann sat down with ussoccer.com to discuss the state of the team as it sets sail on the new 2018 World Cup cycle.
ussoccer.com: You have considered different approaches to the January camp, including not having one at all. Why is this camp important and what will be the focus in terms of roster and schedule?

JK: “With the tricky situation that we have in the United States that now we have the season for the MLS players going towards the end and a lot of them having a break of almost two or three months, we are forced to hold a January camp to try and get the players in early in order to build their foundation for the season. It probably will go with the theme we had the last couple of months, bringing experienced players, bringing a lot of younger players in and kind of meld them together and have that mentorship for the developmental aspect of it.

“We want to explain a lot more what it takes to get to the international level - that you have to be on top of your game on the field, but you also have to be on top of your life off the field. With that schedule that we carry in the United States that we only get a nine, nine-and-a-half month season, we can't compete with the nations that go 11 months through. We're missing two months basically, so we try to bridge that with camps. We keep working, we keep explaining, we keep educating, which is very important on the field and off the field. It's going to be an exciting January camp like all the other ones in the past.”
Sounds like a few vets will be at Jan camp next year.

Cystm

ESPN FC is having their best of the year for MLS poll right now.

• Who is your MLS MVP?
    • Robbie Keane
    • Lee Nguyen
    • Bradley Wright-Phillips
    • Obafemi Martins
  • Who is your MLS Team of the Year?
    • Seattle Sounders
    • LA Galaxy
    • D.C. United
    • New England Revolution
  • Who is your MLS Coach of the Year?
    • Ben Olsen
    • Oscar Pareja
    • Sigi Schmid
    • Mike Petke
  • Who is your MLS Goalkeeper of the Year?
    • Nick Rimando
    • Bill Hamid
    • David Ousted
    • Jaime Penedo
  • Who scored your MLS Goal of the Year?
    • Will Johnson
    • Erick Torres
    • Obafemi Martins
    • Thierry Henry
  • Who is your MLS Rookie of the Year?
    • Steve Birnbaum
    • Tesho Akindele
    • Harry Shipp
    • Nick Hagglund

My picks:

• Who is your MLS MVP?
    • Lee Nguyen
  • Who is your MLS Team of the Year?
    • LA Galaxy
  • Who is your MLS Coach of the Year?
    • Sigi Schmid
  • Who is your MLS Goalkeeper of the Year?
    • Jaime Penedo
  • Who scored your MLS Goal of the Year?
    • Will Johnson
  • Who is your MLS Rookie of the Year?
    • Tesho Akindele

Osorio

Not sure what you were mean. I thought the crowd was good. I was in 107, fwiw.

In other news, Red Bulls are having a poll for the Season Ticket Holder scarf for 2015:

TD1TPIP.jpg

If you vote for anything but 3, getout.gif

I thought 101 was shit is what I'm saying. New England fans brought it. We fucking sucked as a whole. I would sing and sing and nobody else around me did.

And if you don't choose 3 you don't have a soul.

Askani

Cleaning house: http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2014/11/sporting-kc-announces-roster-moves-2015

Sporting Kansas City announced on Tuesday that the following four players will be out of contract with the club as of Dec. 31, 2014: Aurelien Collin, Kevin Ellis, Jacob Peterson and Soony Saad. Sporting Kansas City will extend offers to each of those four individuals and contract negotiations are ongoing.

As expected.

Additionally, Sporting Kansas City and midfielder Lawrence Olum have mutually agreed to terminate his contract pending League approval. Sporting Kansas City will retain rights to Olum within Major League Soccer, per MLS roster rules and regulations.

Knew this one. Not that sad about it.

The club has also declined contract options for Antonio Dovale, Andy Gruenebaum, Michael Kafari, Eric Kronberg, Victor Munoz and Sal Zizzo. Kafari and Munoz will be eligible for selection in the MLS Waiver Draft on Dec. 10.

This is the new news. One keeper wouldn't surprise me, but both being on there do. Let the Kempin saga begin. Zizzo was...okay. He's got speed and an ok cross but that's about it. Still, I liked him. Dovale is the one I'm most surprised about really.

Gruenebaum, Kronberg and Zizzo will all be eligible to participate in Major League Soccer’s Re-Entry Process. Phase One of the Re-Entry Draft will take place on Dec. 12; Phase Two will occur on Dec. 18

Esch

Banned
Damn. I just realized I'm gonna miss how active this thread is when it's off season time. Y'all are fun and I'm happy I found this thread and got into the MLS this season.

Damn. I just realized I'm gonna miss how active this thread is when it's off season time. Y'all are fun and I'm happy I found this thread and got into the MLS this season.

There'll still be some activity watching national team players in Europe and talking about roster rumors and what not. It'll slow down a bit, but we'll still be here

Don't worry there will be all sorts of MLS secret squirrel shit we'll bitch about during the short offseason, especially with the new clubs coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom