• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

There is a ton of Orlando supporters in the audience.

Lando shown appreciation by Garber.

Lando now speaking to the new guys. This is actually very surreal.

Quite a good-sized contingent came up from Orlando for it.

Neat to see Khiry Shelton go #2. Another former Austin Aztex player.. a shame they won't get to work with so many quality youth players now!

Askani

He'll fit right in with Dom.

Dom Dwyer ‏@Ddwyer14 44s
Ok @c_hallisey I like you already! Welcome to the family my man! @SportingKC fans....go! #Follow pic.twitter.com/QvIYR5iTXG​

N12GQ5e.jpg

gutshot

Naming the MVP award after a guy who literally just retired is so Mickey Mouse. I mean, yeah, if you want to name the award after him some 50 years from now when Landon is old and grey and the league has a long history of great American players of which he would be considered the first, I'm all for that. Doing it now just makes you look desperate for the history that isn't quite there yet.

Cystm

Orlando take Cyle Larin first pick.

Khiry Shelton
to NYCFC Second pick.

Romario Williams to Montreal third pick. Decent strike at goal. At the end of this one, he makes a good cut back, but the strike hits far post,

San Jose take Fatai Alashe fourth. xbhaskarx am cry.

Nick Besler to Portland Timbers 5th pick. I had no idea Besler had a brother that could play. He sounds like a tiny Matt Besler not surprisingly during his speech.

Quoting for new page.

E: I don't understand the dislike over the MVP trophy from a few of you guys. Lando was a great player, was a big win for the league, and is an American soccer legend. Why do they need to wait? He should have that honor of having a trophy named after him.

Naming the MVP award after a guy who literally just retired is so Mickey Mouse. I mean, yeah, if you want to name the award after him some 50 years from now when Landon is old and grey and the league has a long history of great American players of which he would be considered the first, I'm all for that. Doing it now just makes you look desperate for the history that isn't quite there yet.

Agreed. I don't have a problem with naming it after him sometime in the future but literally months after he retires? Come on.

- Philly.com: Philadelphia to host 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup final

Championship game to be played at Lincoln Financial Field, 3rd place game at PPL Park.

So going to try to attend both.

Arials

Kyle Scott is only 17, but the American is already playing for the Chelsea U-21s and scoring to boot.

A bit late, but Chelsea bias their U21 team very young because by the time they hit 19/20 most of their players have transitioned to the loan farm. Scott got subbed on in the second half for a 15 year old.

Cystm

Cristian Roldan picked 16th after a trade by the Sounders.

E:
NY beverages got Leo Stolz

Supporters taunt the new heads with "MICHEAL PETKE" chants.

isi62cHzZ86xE.png

ZZMitch

Revs traded their only pick today to Seattle for "future considerations" (what does this usually mean?). Most boring draft ever.

Mully

This week in Texas Highschool futbol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBxXelyCj2w#t=10

even though you can't score on a throw in apparently the goal counts because it deflected off the goalies hands. goalie should have let it go through. Also, the thrower must have both feet on the ground when he releases the ball, which he did. Insane play

vOxRP7.gif

I've let a few of those in on principal during high school and one time in college after joining the varsity team briefly. They don't count, and I get the ball. It's great. That said I love the spectacle of flip throw ins, but they really don't add much when playing at higher levels. At a certain point, long throw ins are treated as corners once throw ins reach the defensive 1/3 and they're really easy to defend against.

xbhaskarx

San Jose take Fatai Alashe fourth. xbhaskarx am cry.

I think he could be decent, I don't know much about him but I liked how he mentioned Tony Tchani in his interview, clearly he watches MLS closely to even know who that is. It's just that with the fourth pick I was hoping for something more.

Roldan goes 16th to Seattle and Stolz goes 18th to NYRB who are saying they'll be able to sign him
SuperDraft: Marsch certain of signing Stolz: "We will see him in a Red Bulls jersey"
somehow even in the draft the rich manage to get richer...

Not sure why certain guys (Roldan) drop, I couldn't believe Patrick Mullins fell to New England at 11 last year, they didn't think he was athletic enough. In 2011 Joao Plata looked like the best player at the combine and he wasn't drafted until the end of the third round, because of his height.

Jeff Lemieux ‏@jeff_lemieux 9m9 minutes ago
Per @frankdellapa, Diego Fagundez starting for Uruguay U20s vs. Colombia tonight. Will officially make him ineligible for USMNT. #NERevs

The dream is officially dead.

Esch

Banned
Has the number of expansion candidates narrowed?

“It’s actually getting bigger. I am going to be out in St. Louis in the next couple of weeks. St. Louis has got a lot of activity going on with a stadium they are trying to get done for the Rams. There is a big soccer community there and we would love to see the soccer stadium downtown like they are thinking about with a football stadium.

Yes.

Come to me.

Looks like we got a forward who has trouble finishing in the second round. Nice

We got one that scored 63 goals in 47 games, though for a lower level. Hopefully he can produce at the highest level.

Whole Union coaching/scouting staff and Meulensteen were solid on the guy so that seems like good news.

xbhaskarx

If he has offers from Germany why would he sign for us?

The brilliant Jesse marsch?
I did say "unless he stays in Germany"... but:

1. There's no indication that he has actual offers in Germany, I think he's just going on trial.

2. Ives said he didn't sign with MLS is because he was trying to restrict which teams could draft him. Given that he was originally projected to go in the 2-4 range, I'm guessing he didn't want to end up in Montreal or with the Earthquakes. He's probably fine with going to NY.

3. It's entirely possible that they talked to him about signing before they drafted him, which would explain Marsh's confidence.

Osorio

Btw metro-gaf, tomorrow is the town hall meeting. There will be protests outside the arena with a collection bin for red bull gear.

All red bull gear will be donated to a homeless shelter in Newark.

Elchele

I did say "unless he stays in Germany"... but:

1. There's no indication that he has actual offers in Germany, I think he's just going on trial.

2. Ives said he didn't sign with MLS is because he was trying to restrict which teams could draft him. Given that he was originally projected to go in the 2-4 range, I'm guessing he didn't want to end up in Montreal or with the Earthquakes. He's probably fine with going to NY.

What is wrong with Montreal/Earthquakes?
The clubs or the cities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom