• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess since the subject was brought up, I've been thinking about the thread as well for a couple weeks.

In roughly 3 weeks, this thread will be 1 year old. We don't have to do a new thread until 20k posts.

However, what do people want? We could wait until 20k and open an OT2 when it comes time and carry on straight into the new thread with no new main OP? Or we could be proactive and do updates now so it will be ready with some new info reflecting the 2014 season and things coming in 2015?

Do you guys want a new OP for each year? Would people like more information? Would people like less information? Does someone else want to have a go at the OP or I could update it again? Thoughts?

If someone does a new thread it would be cool to highlight the MLS expansion teams. It would make for an easy jumping on point for people interested in following the league.

US U20's starting lineup:

mvy8DoD.png

xbhaskarx

6-0...

And this is why teams like the US and Mexico shouldn't enter WC qualifying earlier.

Clearly the U-20 format (at least the balance between Central America and the Caribbean) needs to change if teams like Aruba are making it while Costa Rica isn't...

ZZMitch

Hearing some rumors that the AJ Soares to Italy Hellas Verona was never actually a thing and that he might be re-signed by the Revs.

xbhaskarx

The player movement is not finished at Toronto FC. The club is pushing to get a deal done with Juventus attacking midfielder/striker Sebastian Giovinco as soon as possible. Time is of the essence for Toronto FC with multiple roster decisions need be made with training camp set to open in the coming weeks and the transfer window closing at the end of the month. Giovinco has been a priority target for Toronto FC for quite some time. Negotiations are in the advanced stages for Giovinco to join MLS in July. Giovinco, 27, is not getting the opportunity he desires at Juventus and a move is a certainty. The Italian international striker has started just two Serie A games this season, but brings requisite energy, footwork and ability that can make him a superstar in MLS. Toronto FC can offer a superior salary ($7 million CDN per season) and other personal demands that other potential interested European teams cannot. Multiple European teams are vying for his services. Toronto FC is very much in the mix and are said to be confident in their proposal and position. A decision is expected in the not-so distant future.

Getting Giovinco would be huge for MLS, if anyone can make it happen it's Tim Lieweke. A DP trio of Bradley-Giovinco-Altidore would have to be in the running for best in the league, plus they're all young and TFC would have all three locked up for a long time.

This part could be interesting for other MLS teams:

Signing Giovinco would force Toronto FC to make another move, opening up a Designated Player spot for the Italian. Brazilian striker Gilberto would be the casualty of such a move. MLS rules state Gilberto would have to be off Toronto FC’s roster before the first game of the season, no matter when Giovinco would join. Gilberto showed glimpses of genuine talent in his first season in MLS, scoring seven goals and showing steady improvement as the season progressed. There is believed to be a genuine market for Gilberto’s services. His potential availability adds another layer of intrigue as trade talks continue to dominate the MLS landscape ahead of Thursday’s MLS SuperDraft.

If Gilberto stays in MLS, the teams that could really use a top forward are New England, Columbus, Montreal, Philly, and Colorado. I'm sure Montreal will get an Italian, and I don't know if Colorado is willing to spend that kind of money... Berhalter probably has other plans and I'm not sure Philly has an open DP spot. The best fit would probably be New England just because he's Brazilian.

xbhaskarx

2014 MLS SuperDraft Retrospective: What have the 2014 draftees done in the past year?

In total 76 players were picked, here are some stats on what teams (and leagues) they ended up with:

Made a MLS roster: 45 (of 76)
Appeared in 1+ MLS games: 23 (of 76)
Appeared in 10+ MLS games: 12 (of 76)
Appeared in 20+ MLS games: 8 (of 76)
Currently on a MLS roster: 30 (of 76)
Played in NASL/USL Pro while on loan from a MLS club: 17 (of 76)
Signed by a NASL/USL Pro club: 17 (of 76)

One season does not make a player's career, so many of these could still become stars in this league. But just 16 percent of the players picked in last year's SuperDraft made 10 or more appearances in 2014.

The continued expansion of NASL and USL Pro will provide opportunities that were not there before to many of these players, which could help them develop into MLS contributors.

The bottom line is, you are unlikely to find a player who can make an instant impact in MLS in this year's SuperDraft.

I haven't been in this thread for awhile but I will be this coming season. Orlando city represent! I'll be there for opening day.

Got a jersey for christmas and am pumped.

Arials

The actual new logo should have had the profile of the player with the ball on it, looks much better. Naming the award after Donovan though, cringe worthy.

Cystm

There is a ton of Orlando supporters in the audience.

Lando shown appreciation by Garber.

Lando now speaking to the new guys. This is actually very surreal.

Cystm

Orlando take Cyle Larin first pick.

Khiry Shelton
to NYCFC Second pick.

Romario Williams to Montreal third pick. Decent strike at goal. At the end of this one, he makes a good cut back, but the strike hits far post,

San Jose take Fatai Alashe fourth. xbhaskarx am cry.

Nick Besler to Portland Timbers 5th pick. I had no idea Besler had a brother that could play. He sounds like a tiny Matt Besler not surprisingly during his speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom