• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cystm

Liga MX is in North America.
There are a few mexicans in the Football thread, you can try there

You had to quote me. How can I ninja edit that out now?

paycheck-wince2dhkvf.gif

xbhaskarx

We originally made it "American" instead of "US" so people could discuss other stuff, Canada was even added to the OP. People can already comment on Canada, Liga MX, Cuba, Central America... it's not like anyone is stopping them. I don't think we need to change the title, though. And this way someone like Verano doesn't have carte blanche to come here and troll US fans...

Osorio

Jozy's best season in MLS he scored 9 league goals.

Tough to say how many he'll score this season. I'd assume he's a better player but it's a better league.

xbhaskarx

NT DPs who didn't have to go through allocation: Dempsey, Bradley, Jones

NT DPs who had to go through allocation: Beasley, Edu

NT non-DPs who had to go through allocation: Diskerud, Shea, Goodson, Parkhurst, Feilhaber, Bocanegra, EJ, Demerit, etc.

The differences between all three groups are just the salary levels. So shouldn't Altidore be in the first group based on his salary (assuming it's in the multi-millions)?

This actually makes more sense than Jozy having to go through allocation, based on past cases. I believe the league has even clarified this already, maybe when Edu came over and had to go through allocation?

xbhaskarx

Or maybe there just shouldn't be any levels

Should and shouldn't are different from are and aren't. As of now, it's in the MLS rules:

MLS Roster Rules and Regulations

The allocation ranking is the mechanism used to determine which MLS club has first priority to acquire a U.S. National Team player who signs with MLS after playing abroad, or a former MLS player who returns to the League after having gone to a club abroad for a transfer fee.

Designated Players of a certain threshold - as determined by the League - are not subject to allocation ranking.

I'm sure Jozy's salary is more in the Dempsey / Bradley / Jones range than the Beasley / Edu / Mix range, so that makes sense...

shoplifter

Of a certain threshold just means whatever the league wants it to mean at the specific time they want it to mean what they want it to mean.

If it meant anything there would be actual numbers attached to it.

xbhaskarx

Except if you look at the salaries of the players on either side of the line, "a certain threshold" is clearly based on that. There are guys making multiple millions who are not subject to allocation, and there are guys making six figures to a million who are subject to allocation.

It's consistent across every case. So how exactly is it being arbitrarily applied?

shoplifter

Clearly state how it is defined.

Edit: I'm hitting the sack, we can agree to disagree for now. My bottom line is that it's time for the league to grow up and play by big boy rules if they want to retain any kind of credibility.

Osorio

Finally some thought into a Revs away kit.

Kinda wish there was the tree in it but then people might confuse it for Lebanon

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Finally some thought into a Revs away kit.

Kinda wish there was the tree in it but then people might confuse it for Lebanon

If they had put a tree on it everyone would be thinking Christmas.

Jozy's best season in MLS he scored 9 league goals.

Tough to say how many he'll score this season. I'd assume he's a better player but it's a better league.

I think he'll do better than 9, especially if Toronto gets their shit together this season.

Osorio

I don't know how to feel as a huge TFC fan. If Defoe didn't want to be here, then I'm glad he's gone. I just hope Jozy stays healthy.

He's done poorly in Spain and England but he tore up the Eredivisie and was really good in MLS and unlike Defoe he won't bitch out mid-season.

He's done poorly in Spain and England but he tore up the Eredivisie and was really good in MLS and unlike Defoe he won't bitch out mid-season.

I'm positive he was partially responsible for that 5-0 last game of the season defeat of TFC back when we could've made the playoffs.

Jurgen Klinsmann today

tumblr_inline_n8i0avVS8F1qahxdh.gif

Although I'm sure even he would argue that Jozy getting regular playing time in Toronto is better than sitting on the bench watching Sunderland crash and burn.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Jurgen Klinsmann today

tumblr_inline_n8i0avVS8F1qahxdh.gif

Although I'm sure even he would argue that Jozy getting regular playing time in Toronto is better than sitting on the bench watching Sunderland crash and burn.

I don't see how anyone could argue staying with Sunderland was the best option. Especially considering how well his form from the Eredivisie carried over to the national team.

Well why don't we ask Jurgen himself what he thinks:

“Now if there is no solution in Europe for him, if the next solution for him is MLS, that’s totally cool with me. I have no problem with that,” he continued. “But from a competitive standpoint, it’s normal that a coach wishes that his players go to the highest level possible. Which would be in his case the Bundesliga or Serie A or La Liga or even the French league, if it’s not the Premier League right now.”
“At the end of the day, whether he decides to go to Toronto or New York, that’s purely his decision, just as it was Michael Bradley’s decision or Clint Dempsey’s decision [to move from Europe to MLS].”

Or Mix Diskerud, 24, who signed with NYCFC on Tuesday after leaving Norwegian club Rosenborg. “Mix had different options in Europe, but not bigger options than Rosenborg,” says Klinsmann. “Then come New York City Football Club, which is a start-up with a very exciting ownership and people involved like Jason Kreis and Claudio Reyna. So a lot of positives there. Mix asked me, and I said, ‘Yeah, I think it makes sense.’ Every player has his own individual situation.”

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...ann-talks-jozy-altidore-usmnt-transfer-advice

- US Soccer: U-20 MNT Faces Aruba in Group A Play at CONCACAF U-20 Championship
The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team prepares for its first match against Aruba when the two sides square off in Group A play at the 2015 CONCACAF U-20 Championship on Wednesday, Jan. 14.

The game kicks off at 5:30 p.m. ET at Independence Park in Kingston, Jamaica, and will be live on FOX Sports 2 and Univision Deportes. Fans can also follow the action on Twitter @ussoccer_ynt and @ussoccer_esp.

The U.S. has opened the CONCACAF U-20 Championship with a 0-1-1 record (1 point) and sits in fourth place in Group A alongside Jamaica. Panama leads the way at 2-0-0 (6 points), and Trinidad & Tobago and Guatemala have four points apiece after starting 1-0-1. Aruba is sixth in the group at 0-2-0 (0 points).

Meier

Surprised this hasn't been discussed:

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...igning-juventus-playmaker-sebastian-giovinco/

In terms of name recognition and age, this would be arguably as big a signing as MLS has ever had on an international scale (i.e. people outside the US who don't follow the league). Giovinco has been a bit frozen out at Juve in the past two seasons but would absolutely have many admirers in Europe still. For him to come to MLS at this point would be a major coup.

A couple rumors from Galarcep:
@SoccerByIves: I’m hearing Seattle #Sounders have approached Montreal about moving up in allocation rankings. Seattle could make a play for Sacha Kljestan

@SoccerByIves: Should be noted Sigi Schmid coached Kljestan on U-20 World Cup team in 2005 (Brad Evans was on that team as well).

@SoccerByIves: I’m hearing West Ham’s Sebastian Lletget is in Spain training with a second division team ahead of a potential move away from England.

Mully

Jurgen should consider looking at what happens to team Brazil when the coach decides he only wants players in Europe.

He should also look at team germany that relies on almost all domestic players.

You're probably right. Chemistry has more of an impact on a national team than talent in the long run, but I will say that it's not wrong of Jurgen to ask his players to play with the best, especially when we're a developing team.

Meier

Jurgen should consider looking at what happens to team Brazil when the coach decides he only wants players in Europe.

With Brazil, the guys from the Brazilian league were pretty terrible by all accounts so I don't think this is a very good example. Some of their European selections were strange though (no Miranda or Luis).

Your German example is technically a good one but obviously the scenarios with the actual quality of the leagues and the quality of the teams those guys are on could not be any farther apart if they tried so it's a bit tenuous. There is a precedent for staying in the Bundesliga if you want to be recognized for the German national team though so maybe years down the line the USMNT will have a similar one and the quality to match. It'd be a very impressive feat.

Askani

I guess since the subject was brought up, I've been thinking about the thread as well for a couple weeks.

In roughly 3 weeks, this thread will be 1 year old. We don't have to do a new thread until 20k posts.

However, what do people want? We could wait until 20k and open an OT2 when it comes time and carry on straight into the new thread with no new main OP? Or we could be proactive and do updates now so it will be ready with some new info reflecting the 2014 season and things coming in 2015?

Do you guys want a new OP for each year? Would people like more information? Would people like less information? Does someone else want to have a go at the OP or I could update it again? Thoughts?

Arials

The Brazil team that lost to the eventual winners in the semi final? I doubt Jurgen would have minded that outcome. No one in Brazil was calling for a mass return of players to their domestic league after that 7-1 match, they lamented the lack of players with the quality to start at top European clubs. Russia's 23 was the only entirely domestic squad at the world cup and they had a woeful tournament.

And the point of note from the winning Germany squad is that all of the players play in one of Europe's top 4 leagues for clubs that regularly qualify for the Champions League. Their players mainly came from Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Lazio, Real Madrid, Chelsea and Arsenal. The Argentina squad they faced in the final was similarly biased towards Europe's top clubs with most of their players coming from clubs like Inter, PSG, Barca, Real Madrid, Man City and Napoli. Being good enough to play for the top clubs in the top European leagues was the linking factor for success, the fact that that group of clubs includes some domestic teams for Germany (but doesn't for Argentina, Belgium, Holland, Brazil, ect) isn't particularly relevant to their success and Klinsmann knows that.

The English team has a lot of players in the English league.

And they're always terrible.

The Dutch team has a lot of players in the no name Dutch league.

And they're great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom