• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
But a source with knowledge of the negotiations told ESPN FC that the current offer on the table from the league provides players who are 28 years of age or older, and who have been in the league at least eight years -- and not necessarily with the same team -- will "have the right to choose their next market" when their contract runs out. The source added that the player's previous team will not be able to make a modified offer of a nominal salary increase to keep the player.

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-...r-to-free-agency-as-talks-progresssource-says

So that nominal salary increase?

Taylor Twellman ‏@TaylorTwellman 53m53 minutes ago
Latest #MLSCBA offer from owners DOES include a cap of only a 10% raise for that so called "free agent". If player makes 50k only then 55k.

Askani

Steven Goff @SoccerInsider · 14m
MLS CBA update: Sides are "not making much progress," I'm told. Sorry to break the bad news.

Steven Goff @SoccerInsider · 9m
Said one union source: "Owners are spending like drunken sailors on DPs and crying poverty on everything else." #mlscba

Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider 4m
Owners have made an offer, but 1 source familiar with #mlscba talks says "the deal is crappy in every way."​

v1lla21

Considering how many times MLS sides have been eliminated by Mexican teams, a tie is good enough for now.
True. I was just going off the tie. I hate how teams pass by just tying which is a stupid rule. Has nothing to do against Montreal. The matches were great though so that was cool.

True. I was just going off the tie. I hate how teams pass by just tying which is a stupid rule. Has nothing to do against Montreal. The matches were great though so that was cool.

They scored two goals in Mexico bro.

I looked back ten years, and the only other MLS team to beat a Mexican team in the elimination (championship) stage was Seattle against UANL in 12/13 (and then they lost to a Mexican team in the next round)

Osorio

So America would have to face either Herediano or Olimpia?

Ugh.

Montreal-Alajuelense should be somewhat interesting. I'm impressed by the Impact's new signings and their fitness at this stage in the season.

v1lla21

They scored two goals in Mexico bro.

I looked back ten years, and the only other MLS team to beat a Mexican team in the elimination (championship) stage was Seattle against UANL in 12/13 (and then they lost to a Mexican team in the next round)

Yeah.
Will anyone be doing a fantasy league here?

xbhaskarx

Video: Watch Cameron Porter's last-minute goal to send Montreal Impact through to the next round.

US
http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/video.html?vid=407837763582
Canada
http://www.rds.ca/vidéos/soccer/impact/porter-joue-les-héros-3.1117584

Predictions:

Pachuca 4 - 1 Montreal
Alajuelense 3 - 1 DC United

Whats everybody's thoughts on Montreal tonight?

Will they fuck up a sure thing?

Calling 2-2 going into the second leg at home a "sure thing" is giving Montreal way too much credit... after you previously gave them very little.

xbhaskarx

Ives Galarcep @SoccerByIves
First person to mention Porter to me RT @jessemarsch: Should have included Princeton senior and leading scorer in the country Cameron Porter

LRT- That Marsch tweet came after Porter was snubbed from MLS Combine. He eventually scored an invite. Was 45th player taken in 2015 draft

Jason Saghini @JasonSaghini
Way to go @jessemarsch! I Marsch coached player (At Princeton) get @impactmontreal through in #CCL... Is that irony? Or something like that?

Aaron Nielsen @ENBSports
Was the only source to have Cameron Porter as a #MLS prospect in 2014 as part of my top 100 prospects #IMFC #CCL
B_OL3qxWwAAZD3L.jpg

Lots of credit taking / assigning... but why wasn't the top goal scorer in the country initially invited to the MLS combine?

ZZMitch

Congrats to Montreal! I missed the game since I had a basketball game of my own to play but seeing Porter's goal was awesome!

SKC got very good attendance for these midweek games.

I think it's easier to attract attention during the season than in early March personally.

Helps that they have an indoor stadium available on demand.

If the red bulls hadn't shat the deck they'd have under 5,000 easy this week with this weather

Heretic

Video: Watch Cameron Porter's last-minute goal to send Montreal Impact through to the next round.

US
http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/video.html?vid=407837763582
Canada
http://www.rds.ca/vidéos/soccer/impact/porter-joue-les-héros-3.1117584

Calling 2-2 going into the second leg at home a "sure thing" is giving Montreal way too much credit... after you previously gave them very little.

Love it! Loved it even more that he didn't go down and powered through!

Montreal postgame video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QJownFNcHU

Klopas red card gif
8faec916e3520bf444a64de7d3cae34d.gif

Awesome vid.

Congrats Montreal! Thanks for providing the only bright spot for MLS teams in CCL. MLS teams will never get international respect until we can start being more competitive in CCL. So thanks Canada.

Btw, is it just me or does Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver have the easiest CCL qualification in the region? They just have to play each other and two other lower division teams. While the rest of the MLS has to fight tooth and claw to get a CCL spot. Considering all 5 Canadian teams play in American domestic leagues, not sure they need an automatic Canadian slot for CCL. I thought CCL went by leagues within the region, not by country.

I'm not necessarily complaining, especially after tonight. Just curious.

xbhaskarx

Alexi Lalas ‏@AlexiLalas 4 minutes ago
Hats off to @aaronstol and @YesThatBrooke who've been reporting from (and remain) outside the offices of the #MLSCBA negotiations.

Nothing to report other then increasing numbness of extremities. #MLSCBA

Nothing new to report for the negotiations venue. Owners have left. players are still in the building. #MLSCBA

Graham Zusi has just shut the blinds covering the windows facing the main street where we are currently standing. #MLSCBA

More blinds being closed by the players. #MLSCBA

All of the window blinds have now been closed on the floor the players are meeting on. #MLSCBA

Think it's safe to say that if nothing else today is a big day in the history of Venetian blinds.

My bosses at my "grownup job" are going to be very confused as to why I'm so tired tomorrow.

It just looks like the players were taking pictures of us through the window. This has gotten very meta. #MLSCBA

Players are no longer visible at the window. No, I have no idea what that means. #MLSCBA

Players are still inside the building. I see them. #MLSCBA

You can just make out the figure of either a player or a negotiator on the other side of the window. #MLSCBA
B_O0ocvXIAEm1Km.jpg

Like Say Anything? That is SUCH a great idea. "@SeanSteffen: @aaronstol Throw rocks at the window, or try the boombox trick"

We've officially reached Condition: Goofy in the stakeout. #MLSCBA

lol

Montreal and DC have the best MLS stadiums. NYC and SLC to, but theyre small.

I wish other teams had real stadiums like that instead of rinky dinky little beginner sets.

If I were the Union i'd punt the issue for a year and revisit it next year.

They'll have more leverage after a season with NYCFC manages to attract attention to the sport.

Brooke Tunstall @YesThatBrooke · 58m 58 minutes ago
Also hearing that the players have tried to tie the cap to revenue generated and want the MLS books open but @MLS has refused. #MLSCBA

if true lol. "we're totes losing money guys, trust us"

xbhaskarx

If I were the Union i'd punt the issue for a year and revisit it next year.

They'll have more leverage after a season with NYCFC manages to attract attention to the sport.

That makes absolutely no sense on, like, three different levels.

The owners would absolutely love to keep the current CBA for another year... good thing you're not representing the union! Why not revisit it after 2016's Copa America, or 2017 when LAFC and Atlanta will attract more attention to the sport? Maybe Minnesota and Sacramento will join by 2018, better wait until after they join. But what about Miami, surely Beckham will have a stadium deal by 2020...

xbhaskarx

The Motley Crew: The Story Behind America’s Wackiest Football Club Names

MLS at 20: Epic original branding, logos for the league's first 10 teams

Some of these descriptions....
Description: The Tampa Bay Mutiny logo system doesn’t have any rebellious sailors. No three-masted galleons. No rolling oceans. Just little green winged cybermutants from the dark blue depths of space. Inspired by the futuristic visions of video games, the logos and type suggest a mega-high tech, ominous force on the field. (The logo’s designers will even point out that the character isn’t controlling the ball with its feet, but with its mind—soccer reaches the fourth dimension.) Not your typical pirate story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom