• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have experience with MLS live? I'm thinking of subscribing this year due to working shift work (for the replays) and not having a local team. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I used it last year and re-upped for this season. I find that I don't watch as many games as I did when I had DirectKick years ago, but it's still useful a lot of the time if you're used to streaming games on your computer. The quality is fine, but I'd check the blackout listings for whichever team(s) you want to follow. Replays are a great feature.

I used it last year and re-upped for this season. I find that I don't watch as many games as I did when I had DirectKick years ago, but it's still useful a lot of the time if you're used to streaming games on your computer. The quality is fine, but I'd check the blackout listings for whichever team(s) you want to follow. Replays are a great feature.

Thanks.

- Reuters: Ukraine moves U.S. friendly to Cyprus from Kharkiv
Ukraine's football friendly against the United States next month, scheduled to take place in Kharkiv, has been moved to Cyprus due to the unstable political situation, Ukraine's football federation said on Tuesday.

Football officials took into consideration the request of the U.S. for the game on March 5 to be played outside Ukraine, a statement on the federation's website said.

Scores of people were killed in anti-government protests last week which led to the ousting of Ukraine's president, Viktor Yanukovich. The eastern city of Kharkiv is also experiencing political turbulence.

The host city and kick-off time of the rescheduled game will be decided later.

Ukraine's Premier League is also considering whether to postpone the restart of the domestic championship after the winter break due to the political situation.

No problem. I'm sure there are a few other people in this thread that subscribe, so hopefully they can weigh in with their experiences, too.

So the Fire shipped off one of their best young players Austin Berry to Philly for allocation money. (Lalas is reporting it's a mere 100 grand) How does this make any sense? Put a hole in your defense just to get Magic Mike a few extra bucks?

It's a great deal for the Union. Now they have Okugo and Berry as central defenders. McMath has to be loving that.

Welcome! You picked a great time to take the plunge with the new MLS season kicking off and World Cup just around the corner.

Do you know what club you are supporting or are you a free agent?

If you have any interest in fantasy sports I would recommend joining our Fantasy Manager league (code and info posted earlier in the thread). I found it really helped me learn the players and made me look at MLS league wide instead of honing in on just one team.
Thanks! I don't suppose I really have a club officially, but I live in NYC so it makes sense to back the Red Bulls. I still want to become familiar with everything league-wide (and world-wide) but I think supporting a singular club might help me acclimate to the rules and culture.

I was actually thinking about joining a fantasy league to learn a bit more as well. I'll take a look!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thanks! I don't suppose I really have a club officially, but I live in NYC so it makes sense to back the Red Bulls. I still want to become familiar with everything league-wide (and world-wide) but I think supporting a singular club might help me acclimate to the rules and culture.

I was actually thinking about joining a fantasy league to learn a bit more as well. I'll take a look!

Until NYCFC starts up and it becomes easier to go to their games anyway. :lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That depends on which part of the city you live in.

No matter where you live it's gonna be easier than driving out to Jersey. If I remember right the plan is to put the stadium next to Citi Field, which has a subway and a bunch of busses right there.

Osorio

No matter where you live it's gonna be easier than driving out to Jersey. If I remember right the plan is to put the stadium next to Citi Field, which has a subway and a bunch of busses right there.

Yankee Stadium you mean. And my commute from Ridgewood is easier to RBA than to Yankee Stadium.

Askani

The full US broadcast schedule for the World Cup has been released.

I updated the OP with the schedule. Here's the link:
OP link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=100041458&posted=1#post100041458

BC1DBon.png

Story link: http://www.cbssports.com/general/eye-on-sports/24456013/world-cup-tv-schedule

Osorio

Luckily the first game is on a Monday. So many people I know have their birthdays that weekend, including my sister, my cousin, and my best friend.

Finally found the new thread. Good job with the OP!

My DVR box from Cox Cable is busted, so all my weekend EPL recordings got corrupted. I'm going through withdrawals.

NoRéN

That's a damn shame.

Really is.

He's probably the most significant example of US players not reaching their potential but I do think it's a recurring one. Damn shame but that's what happens when people are desperate for the US soccer equivalent of a Lebron James.

Good thing MLS has been focusing on development so much.

Meier

Orlando City went up 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 and the Crew have leveled each time. :lol

Ha! City went up 4-3 and then the Crew scored again in the 90th minute and the game ended in a draw. What a nutty game.

Askani

Forgot tickets went on sale today at 6 in the Cauldron for the home opener. Managed to still score the two I needed. I'd have been so pissed if I missed out because of my own stupidity.

Osorio

Got my season tickets last night, picking up my track jacket today at the stadium.

Looks beautiful in the photo.

Osorio

Aaaand Ruben Bover's game-winning free kick from yesterday. Kid is having a good pre-season.

Luckily our young guys will get plenty of play time considering turf, open cup, champions league

KIG15a1.gif

- Grant Wahl for SI: Like a lingering cloud of tear gas: how do you reconcile the two Brazils?
If there are two Brazils, then one of them is here, in a café by the Praça São Salvador, a few blocks from the beach in Rio de Janeiro. Wearing a gray T-shirt, sunglasses and a ring in the shape of a human skull, Alan Fragoso, 27, takes a sip of his caipirinha. Fragoso used to be a sort of Brazilian Don Draper, an advertising man selling products to the nation's emerging consumer class. Then one day he quit. "What I really want is to work with projects I believe in," he says, "not to invest in consumption."

So Fragoso joined a start-up that took off faster than Facebook: the Brazilian protest movement. The demonstrations last June began small (and largely nonviolent), in response to a hike in public transportation fees. But the military police overreacted, using tear gas, rubber bullets and excessive force in front of news cameras that spread the images countrywide. That sparked mass protests over a litany of grievances: government corruption, substandard education and health care, the forced removal of favela (or slum) dwellers, and the $22.8 billion in public spending on facilities for the World Cup in 12 Brazilian cities and for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio. Last June 20, on what he calls "the best political day of my life," Fragoso joined more than 1.5 million angry demonstrators who marched in the streets of Rio, São Paulo and 80 other cities around the country.

The protests coincided with the Confederations Cup, a World Cup dress rehearsal, and 10 days later, on the day of the final between Brazil and Spain, Fragoso advanced with another group of roughly 5,000 protestors toward Rio's legendary Maracanã Stadium. "The demonstrators outside the stadium were surrounded and bombarded with tear gas and rubber bullets," recalls Fragoso, who donned a gas mask on some days and covered his face with a vinegar-soaked bandanna on others to combat the fumes. "Even though we were far away, the smell of the tear gas reached inside the Maracanã."

Nobody knows if the million-strong protests (which led to six deaths) will recur when the World Cup kicks off in São Paulo on June 12. The demonstrations since last June have been smaller and at times violent, pitting Black Bloc anarchists against the police. But now, four months before the World Cup, Fragoso is hoping to go mainstream again: 64 games, 64 protests. As he talks about this in the café, a middle-aged stranger walks over. He has been eavesdropping, and he wants to say one thing as he leaves, a slogan that has become fashionable among young activists: "Não vai ter Copa do Mundo no Brasil!"

There won't be a World Cup in Brazil.
Full article via the link.

Meier

That's an uphill battle, but it's worth taking a shot at guys like that and Julian Green.

Zelalem I think we have a good chance, but it may take awhile. I've read that he self-identifies as American and wants to play for us, but is concerned about losing his work permit as he'd have to give up his German citizenship. I think if he can get some time playing for the first team at Arsenal, he may be able to get the "exceptional talent" option. In general they've made it a lot tougher to get work visas in the UK in the past year or two though.

Aron started AZ's Europa League game. AZ are up 1-0 (2-0) in the 22nd minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom