• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
fTFFccL.jpg

Green at US practice.

Nesotenso

The fact that Jozy is not even in the 18 suggests he must pissed someone off or that he was not healthy. Hasn't pulled out of the Ukraine squad so I am guessing it is the former. Dempsey is not the player he once was and hasn't looked like his old self since his move to Seattle. It is as if the move aged him by five years. I think Jurgen should seriously consider starting someone like AJ over one of them.

edit: and everyone who is a hardcore supporter of the team already knows what the home jerseys looks like. Nike didn't do a good job.

Osorio

I've been wary of Dempsey ever since his hooded introduction in Seattle.

He looked like a man ready for vacation.

NoRéN

The fact that Jozy is not even in the 18 suggests he must pissed someone off or that he was not healthy. Hasn't pulled out of the Ukraine squad so I am guessing it is the former. Dempsey is not the player he once was and hasn't looked like his old self since his move to Seattle. It is as if the move aged him by five years. I think Jurgen should seriously consider starting someone like AJ over one of them.

edit: and everyone who is a hardcore supporter of the team already knows what the home jerseys looks like. Nike didn't do a good job.
Yup. As i've said before, Altidore and Dempsey have no place in the starting lineup anymore. At least, not if people want the US to make it out of the group.

Dempsey, like Altidore, seem to sulk as soon as things don't go their way. That seems to start as soon as they miss their first shot. Either it goes in or they disappear for the rest of the game. Fulham must have been wondering who the fuck that was yesterday against Chelsea because it sure did not look like the Dempsey they sold to Spurs.

60th minute substitutes, maybe. Nothing more.

Nesotenso

NoRéN;102874064 said:
Yup. As i've said before, Altidore and Dempsey have no place in the starting lineup anymore. At least, not if people want the US to make it out of the group.

Dempsey, like Altidore, seem to sulk as soon as things don't go their way. That seems to start as soon as they miss their first shot. Either it goes in or they disappear for the rest of the game. Fulham must have been wondering who the fuck that was yesterday against Chelsea because it sure did not look like the Dempsey they sold to Spurs.

60th minute substitutes, maybe. Nothing more.

seriously pisses me off when he does that. I know he plays with a chip on his shoulder and that is partly responsible for whatever success he has had but dude is not as good or skilled as he sometimes seems to think he is.

daoster

Dempsey is the US Captain, if Jurgen were to bench him, do you think that would affect the team dynamic, especially 3 months before the World Cup? I think it definitely would.

I agree though, Dempsey's form has been lamentable since his move to Seattle. Bench Jozy though, I have no problem with that.

Here's Poyet after the Sunderland loss today:
"I want us to move on in the right way and I will demand it. But it is easy for me to say: ‘put this behind you and move on' and another thing for it to actually happen. We will see how each one of them is individually. How will Jozy Altidore react to not being in the squad, for example? I don't know. I will find out. It's tough for him, it's tough for everyone - defeat. I hate losing, hate it, but we have to show the right response."
He'll have a chance to play. We'll see what he can do.

I think Altidore is more important that Dempsey at this point because I don't feel comfortable with anyone else leading the line, whereas between Johannsson, Donovan, and a couple of others the wide midfielder or second striker positions are covered in case Dempsey's form is off.

Nesotenso

Dempsey is the US Captain, if Jurgen were to bench him, do you think that would affect the team dynamic, especially 3 months before the World Cup? I think it definitely would.

I agree though, Dempsey's form has been lamentable since his move to Seattle. Bench Jozy though, I have no problem with that.

Bradley should have been the captain anyways, way better temperament.
If a player is a liability, there should be no issue with relegating him to the bench even if he is the Captain.

daoster

Here's Poyet after the Sunderland loss today:He'll have a chance to play. We'll see what he can do.

I think Altidore is more important that Dempsey at this point because I don't feel comfortable with anyone else leading the line, whereas between Johannsson, Donovan, and a couple of others the wide midfielder or second striker positions are covered in case Dempsey's form is off.

If this was the beginning of the season...sure. But it's not like Jozy hasn't had chances all SEASON long, and with 10~ games left....will he magically start scoring for Sunderland? I doubt it.

All we can hope for is that Jozy is a Podolski-esque character, who doesn't seem to score much for his club, but when he plays for his country, is a different type of player.

But really, given all the difficulties Jozy has faced this season...I really don't think his confidence will be great when he puts on the USA jersey. We'll kinda see on Wednesday, I guess.

BTW, what network is that Ukraine friendly being broadcasted on?

NoRéN

If a player is a liability, there should be no issue with relegating him to the bench even if he is the Captain.
Bradley's temperament has come a long way. I agree that he should have been captain.

Agree with the 2nd part of the post too. If klinnsmann had no problem removing Bocanegra from the lineup, removing Dempsey should be no issue.

Still, maybe Dempsey can put any doubts to rest once MLS starts up.

BTW, what network is that Ukraine friendly being broadcasted on?
ESPN and Univision, I think.

All we can hope for is that Jozy is a Podolski-esque character, who doesn't seem to score much for his club, but when he plays for his country, is a different type of player.

But really, given all the difficulties Jozy has faced this season...I really don't think his confidence will be great when he puts on the USA jersey. We'll kinda see on Wednesday, I guess.
That's part of what I'm getting at here - I don't feel like his Sunderland performances are impacting his US games...yet. If he's not fit because he doesn't play at all, that's a huge issue, but at the moment if his club form is anemic but he still delivers for the US, I can get over it.

daoster

Agree on the Bradley bit for sure. But even though I agree with you on the second bit, I just think you might affect the team dynamic if you bench Dempsey. I agree he SHOULD be benched on terms of form alone, but....the team dynamic part, I guess if it were to happen, we'll just really see what kind of leader Clint Dempsey is.

NoRéN;102886643 said:
Agree with the 2nd part of the post too. If klinnsmann had no problem removing Bocanegra from the lineup, removing Dempsey should be no issue.

Still, maybe Dempsey can put any doubts to rest once MLS starts up.

The thing with Bocanegra was that it happened relatively early on in the cycle, and (correct me if I'm wrong), Bocanegra was never called in again since then. Almost immediately after Klinsmann dropped Bocanegra, allegations of unrest in the locker room came out in that infamous article on Sporting News.

Beyond Dempsey's form, what would benching him do for the team dynamic, so close to the World Cup? Like I replied Nesotenso, if Dempsey is ever benched, we'll see what type of character he really is.

Bocanegra seemingly took his early retirement from the US Soccer team in chin, and never caused a ruckus. Will Dempsey be the same? And what we're discussing here isn't Dempsey being dropped, but being benched, which might even complicate things even further.

But yeah, I hope this upcoming MLS season for him is better than last, and he starts playing well again.

That's part of what I'm getting at here - I don't feel like his Sunderland performances are impacting his US games...yet. If he's not fit because he doesn't play at all, that's a huge issue, but at the moment if his club form is anemic but he still delivers for the US, I can get over it.

Me too, if he delivers for us, then I can give a rat's ass how he does for Sunderland. But, correct me if I'm wrong, but during Jozy's club hopping days (Villareal > Xerez > Bursaspor > Hull City), Jozy was scoring for neither club nor country.

Will this time around be any different? I sure as hell hope so!

NoRéN

Agree on the Bradley bit for sure. But even though I agree with you on the second bit, I just think you might affect the team dynamic if you bench Dempsey. I agree he SHOULD be benched on terms of form alone, but....the team dynamic part, I guess if it were to happen, we'll just really see what kind of leader Clint Dempsey is.
True, but do we really need a leader with the attitude he has, sulking if things aren't going his way?

The thing with Bocanegra was that it happened relatively early on in the cycle, and (correct me if I'm wrong), Bocanegra was never called in again since then. Almost immediately after Klinsmann dropped Bocanegra, allegations of unrest in the locker room came out in that infamous article on Sporting News.

Beyond Dempsey's form, what would benching him do for the team dynamic, so close to the World Cup? Like I replied Nesotenso, if Dempsey is ever benched, we'll see what type of character he really is.

Bocanegra seemingly took his early retirement from the US Soccer team in chin, and never caused a ruckus. Will Dempsey be the same? And what we're discussing here isn't Dempsey being dropped, but being benched, which might even complicate things even further.
Damn, good point. I've always heard that you never demote someone, you fire them.

But yeah, I hope this upcoming MLS season for him is better than last, and he starts playing well again.

Me too, if he delivers for us, then I can give a rat's ass how he does for Sunderland. But, correct me if I'm wrong, but during Jozy's club hopping days (Villareal > Xerez > Bursaspor > Hull City), Jozy was scoring for neither club nor country.

Will this time around be any different? I sure as hell hope so!
it better be. It really pissed me off seeing his form when he went to seattle as I expected him to take the opportunity and run with it. He was going to get play time and he just seemed like a dude on vacation.

xbhaskarx

#USMNT on the Field in Frankfurt

Jeff Carlisle's guess at the US lineup for Wednesday:

Howard; Cameron, Brooks, Gooch, Johnson; Bedoya, Jones, Kljestan, Shea/Johannsson; Clint, Jozy

No desire to see Gooch ever again, Packwood is performing better than him right now in the same league. Kljestan has never impressed with the national team, I'd put Bedoya on the right and Danny Williams next to Jones:

Altidore
Johannsson, Dempsey, Bedoya
Jones, Williams
Johnson, Brooks, Packwood, Cameron
Howard

cruets

So boring. Hope the aways look better. $80 fir a white polo shirt ugh. Probably made in China too. We should make a fuss about it being made in China like when they made Olympic walkin clothes were made in China

Slizz

Not as bad as the leak picture that came out, but damn its so boring and unoriginal.

"Hey lets just take that kit from the year before the last WC make the hoops thinner and throw a collar on it"

P3tHSye.jpg

Nyx

Rubio Rubin turned 18 last Saturday, curious to see if he will sign a contract now at Utrecht.

Juan Agudelo did not play for Utrecht yesterday, was a tactical decision.

Askani

How boring.

"What colors should we do?"
"I don't know. White...I guess? Easy enough."
"Can't be all white. Needs some color."
"Fuck it. Red piping for all I care."
"How many US logos?"
"Just two."
How many Nike logos you want?
"OMFG EIGHT!!! GIMMIE EEIIIIIIGHT!!!!!"

EDIT :::::

Cool that they used a picture of Clint Dempsey in his current form.

That's some cold shit. I love it. lol

Dartastic

Cool that they used a picture of Clint Dempsey in his current form.
As a USMNT fan, =(

...as a Portland Timbers fan, with the season about to start in a week... HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA.

I'm so conflicted.

Seriously though, that kit looks super boring. It's gonna cost like 80 bucks or something ridiculous too, and I could make my own by just getting a white polo and sewing a Nike symbol and a USMNT crest on it.

I was sold on collared jerseys after buying an arsenal away kit a few years ago. That sucker was so comfortable.

Adida's 2010 WC jerseys were such garbage in person. In photos they looked amazing. Up close and wearing them, ew. I had Germany home/away from my German Uncle. I'm not sure I can get another one of their jerseys now that they're in our group...

Full kit:

v1o88Qn.jpg

Fire Gulati! :p It is surprising to me how no one likes the crest yet they refuse to fix it.

They look like nice kits to be wearing on a 90 degree day in Manaus. Other than that, I can't really offer any criticism. It's not really good or bad, it's just there. At least this means the Centennial kits are about to go on sale.

Roger Bennett from US practice in Germany:

'tis a shame. He was never a fantastic player, but one with squandered potential. I liked him during the 2010 world cup build up. He's had flashes of good form, but hasn't developed at all....and seemingly has regressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom