• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Ooooh, Julian Green is in the squad for the Ukraine friendly!

GOALKEEPERS (3): Cody Cropper (Southampton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton)
DEFENDERS (7): John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Oguchi Onyewu (Sheffield Wednesday), Will Packwood (Birmingham City), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (Barnsley), Danny Williams (Reading)
FORWARDS (6): Juan Agudelo (Utrecht), Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar)
http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2014/02/140227-MNT-Roster.aspx

Edit: Meh, in the text at the bottom it says he's not yet eligible to play -- guess he'll just be training. I jumped the gun.

At a glance, I like the choices there.

Here's the Klinsmann commentary: Jurgen Klinsmann Q & A: 'The Countdown is on'

ussoccer.com: You have invited eighteen-year-old Julian Green, who plays at Bayern Munich, to train with the team for two days in Frankfurt. What are you hoping to accomplish with him in his first introduction to the Senior National Team?
JK: “We are thrilled Julian accepted our invitation and comes into these two days in Frankfurt. We want to show him how things work with the United States team and with our environment. We want him to meet the players, to meet the staff, obviously to meet us coaches, and we want him to feel comfortable in our environment. With a lot of players who come through the ranks with dual citizenship, it’s going to be very difficult for those kids to choose which country they want to play for if they have this enormous talent to play at the highest level possible.

“Julian has this talent. Julian is an exceptional talent not only because he’s playing for Bayern Munich, but he’s shown that already over the past two years in the senior team environment there against the “older guys.” We are happy to welcome him for those two days. It’s a big step for him as we try to emotionally connect him to our program, because it’s not only a World Cup coming up this summer. Next year there’s a Gold Cup, then you have an Olympics, then you have Confederations Cup hopefully and soon comes the next World Cup around the corner in Russia. At the same time we have our eyes on the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, we also have our eyes on developing the next generation of players, and Julian is a very important part of that.”

gutshot

In addition, 18-year-old Bayern Munich forward Julian Green will participate in training camp, but is not yet eligible to play in a match for the United States.

"Not yet eligible"

Does that mean he's in the process of filing a one-time switch or something? That "yet" has my hopes up...

daoster

Why even include him in the list if he's not even eligible to be a part of the team yet? It just confuses people.

Some interesting choices there, surprised to see Gooch back

Meier

Why even include him in the list if he's not even eligible to be a part of the team yet? It just confuses people.

Some interesting choices there, surprised to see Gooch back

Yeah, it's a little strange especially since they called it the "roster." Ahh well!

Askani

NASL will be adding more teams to its postseason format this year.

NASL announced on Thursday that four teams will reach the postseason in 2014, twice as many as in 2013. The four clubs will consist of the Spring and Fall Season champions and the two teams with the next best combined records from the two seasons.

The postseason will commence with a semifinals round, and the two teams to advance from there will compete to play in the title game called “The Championship,” which will determine who lifts the Soccer Bowl trophy.

“The long-term plan is to keep it at four clubs,” said NASL commissioner Bill Peterson, whose league plans to expand to 18 teams in the not too distant future. “You have a Spring champion, a Fall champion. The conversation starts with, ‘What about the best overall record?’ That makes some sense, but you can’t just let one in so we let those two in and the vision and the plan is to never expand that beyond that format.

More at link: http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/02/changes-postseason-adding.html

Meier

Nice! Orlando City have signed Tyler Turner, 17 year old RB who was the captain of the USMNT U-17s before moving up to the U-18s. Signed a 2 year deal so he'll be with the team through the move to the MLS. Only a few players are signed beyond 2014 currently.

Turner_WEB.jpg

NYCFC has their formal tagline as well:

1896940_256917061148424_388838719_n.jpg

Five Boroughs. One City.

Hieberrr

I thought it was a year long loan?

Nope. It turned into a full trade for future considerations. Given Tim Bezbo's recent comments, it sounds like there is something more to it. Maybe performance incentives? Who knows. But he said it'll be hard for Vancouver to keep him after the year unless they do something that puts TFC in a good position to reinvest their "future considerations".

Sounds like a loan deal with option to buy for a hefty amount, but they decided to call it a trade.

Elchele

That's an uphill battle, but it's worth taking a shot at guys like that and Julian Green.

Julian Green is not happening, unless he fails to live up to the expectations (being a starter at Bayern in a few years). He plays for Bayern and has Sammer advising him, obviously his #1 option is Germany, only if that fails he would pick USA.

Parker is good talent, tho.

Azuran

Banned
Nope. It turned into a full trade for future considerations. Given Tim Bezbo's recent comments, it sounds like there is something more to it. Maybe performance incentives? Who knows. But he said it'll be hard for Vancouver to keep him after the year unless they do something that puts TFC in a good position to reinvest their "future considerations".

Sounds like a loan deal with option to buy for a hefty amount, but they decided to call it a trade.

I trust Timmy B. I'm sure he didn't give away a player like Laba that easily. Either way, his making it sound that no matter what happens, TFC will still cash out big in the end.

- Klinsmann is doing a google hangout at 11:45am ET this morning. This link should work.
- Holden is going to play with the Bolton U21's against Everton on Monday

Julian Green is not happening, unless he fails to live up to the expectations (being a starter at Bayern in a few years). He plays for Bayern and has Sammer advising him, obviously his #1 option is Germany, only if that fails he would pick USA.
Again, I understand that it's a long shot, but it's at the very least a consideration for him if he's going to take the time to show up for training on an international break.

Askani

Askani

Empire Of Soccer.com said:
A Look at MLS Supporters Section Season Ticket Prices

The 2014 Major League Soccer season is about to kick off, and the front offices of all 19 MLS clubs are ramping up efforts to sell as many new season tickets as they can before opening day.

The fans most likely to have bought or renewed their season tickets are the league’s supporters groups, who generally occupy the stadium’s endline sections and typically pay the lowest season ticket prices — a “reward” for their continued loyalty.

Not all MLS clubs are equal, and as a result, not all season tickets are priced equally. A number of factors — fan demand, on-field performance, and both internal and external economics — contribute to the cost of each plan.

More at link: http://www.empireofsoccer.com/supporters-section-prices-23636/

Elchele

Again, I understand that it's a long shot, but it's at the very least a consideration for him if he's going to take the time to show up for training on an international break.

I'm sure his agent told him to, in order to raise his profile a bit more. I read a piece about Julian Green a few weeks ago and he said he was being advised by Sammer. Sammer told him that travelling for CONCACAF qualifiers could hurt his career at Bayern

Not to mention the huge importance inside Bayern to have as many Germany NT players as possible.

daoster

I'm sure his agent told him to, in order to raise his profile a bit more. I read a piece about Julian Green a few weeks ago and he said he was being advised by Sammer. Sammer told him that travelling for CONCACAF qualifiers could hurt his career at Bayern

Not to mention the huge importance inside Bayern to have as many Germany NT players as possible.

I think this is where having Jurgen Klinsmann is such a big advantage. You have a World Cup winner, a legendary player (ironically, a German one), asking you to play for the country of your birth. I don't know, for some reason, I'm somewhat optimistic for Green.

We'll see.

Elchele

I think this is where having Jurgen Klinsmann is such a big advantage. You have a World Cup winner, a legendary player (ironically, a German one), asking you to play for the country of your birth. I don't know, for some reason, I'm somewhat optimistic for Green.

We'll see.

Klinsmann is mostly seen as a joke in Germany now, I think
Julian would have to sacrifice his career at Bayern, to join the US national team. It's pretty easy, if he makes it at Bayern, he will be called for Germany NT. If he fails at Bayern, the chances to make it into Germany NT would go down and joining US national team would make sense

- Dempsey starting for Fulham against Chelsea this morning. It's his last match before the Ukraine friendly and returning to Seattle.
- Cameron starts for Stoke

EDIT: Also starting: Danny Williams, Duane Holmes, Lichaj, Ream, Gooch, Spector, Packwood, and Howard. Shea is on the bench.

daoster

Klinsmann is mostly seen as a joke in Germany now, I think
Julian would have to sacrifice his career at Bayern, to join the US national team. It's pretty easy, if he makes it at Bayern, he will be called for Germany NT. If he fails at Bayern, the chances to make it into Germany NT would go down and joining US national team would make sense

Really? Jurgen is seen as a joke in Germany? Why, because of his stint at Bayern? There's a reason why that club is called FC Hollywood, and that's the only black spot in his coaching career so far. Or is it that some people claim that it was Lowe doing all the hard work when Klinsmann was in charge of Germany, claims that I find a little overblown.

Is Maradona seen as a joke in Argentina, despite everything else that's happened regarding him since he's retired as a player? If Maradona is still revered as a legend in Argentina, I don't think it's too crazy to say that Klinsmann is still seen as a legend in Germany, especially amongst younger people.

The guy did win just about everything there was to win for club(s) and country as a player, and I think that goes a long way for impressionable young players.

And if Julian Green truly is the talent that everybody says he is, if he decides to play for us, then Bayern will want to keep him...or another top club will pick him up.

Not that I think just because Klinsmann is a legend that Green will eventually decide to suit up for us...he has spent the majority of his life in Germany, and if he feels more "German" than "American," then there's not much we can do.

But as I originally said...I'm kinda somewhat optimistic. And I hope his American dad will gently nurture him and push him...to choose...to play for us.

neogafbelieve.gif or something.

- Sunil Gulati Unanimously Re-Elected as President of U.S. Soccer
U.S. Soccer’s membership re-elected Sunil Gulati as President of the U.S. Soccer Federation by unanimous consent on Saturday at the Marriott Marquis in New York. Gulati, who ran unopposed in the election, enters his third four-year term after having served as U.S. Soccer’s President since 2006.

In other news at Saturday’s National Council meeting, Merritt Paulson and Arthur Mattson were elected as new members of U.S. Soccer’s Board of Directors. Paulson replaced Kevin Payne, while Mattson replaced Richard Groff. Donna Shalala was also re-elected as an Independent Director, while Rocco Amoroso and Francisco Marcos were voted as Life Members.

NoRéN

I should have known. TFC can't even win a pre-season game. At least Bradley scored a nice goal.

It's preseason. They'll need time but I'm sure the results will start rolling in.

As long as toronto fans are not anything like galaxy fans, the players will get the time needed to start showing what they can do.

FuturusX

Will there be a MLS thread or will this serve as a catch all?

I'm peeved that Dempsey was playing today for Fulham in the Premier League in England when Seattle has there season opener in a week.

What kind of preparation is that? Shocking.

Nesotenso

Ream had a baby boy recently. Not sure if the Bradley knock is serious. From comments online he seemed fine in today's preseason game. Maybe Toronto want to stay with them for the start of the season.

Look at the midfield list now without Mixx and Bradley:

Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (Barnsley), Danny Williams (Reading)

Looks like Jones, Kljestan, and maybe Williams are going to get the CM slots.

Hey Gaf, now that new MLS season is about to start I am going to try to be more active. I am doing the fantasy team for the first time this year. I am not going to take it too serious, just going to have fun with it. I was looking for some of my favorite players to draft and I found out Kevin "El Gato" Hartman and Carlos "El Pescado Ruiz" are no longer in the league. Hartman retired and Ruiz went back to the Guatemalan League I think. It is sad not to see them in the MLS anymore. What these two players have in common is that they both used to play with the LA Galaxy which happens to be my team. Hopefully the LA Galaxy can have a good year.

ASN Twitter Feed said:
80% of the #USMNT "spine"—Tim Howard, Jermaine Jones, Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore —is either out of form and/or amid a downshift in leagues. Worrisome sign 3 months from Brazil
Yes, this is concerning, though like any World Cup we'll need a few young and unheralded players to break through if we're going to do some damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom