• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

xbhaskarx

Edit: ^ Not unexpected, Klinsmann often doesn't play guys who have just been called in for the first time.

Oh man that flick from Jozy to Johannsson...

xbhaskarx

With his second goal tonight, @JozyAltidore (29) sits one behind @BMcBride20 (30) for 4th on the #USMNT's goals list.

Crazy... McBride is like the iconic American forward, and Jozy is 25.

xbhaskarx

Ream and Cameron should be the starting fullbacks going forward at least for the short term... move Fabian Johnson up when he's back healthy, FJ on one side Zardes on the other. As far as the CBs are concerned, who knows but Besler did pretty well tonight and should at least be back in the mix with the trio of Brooks/Gonzalez/Alvarado...

Cystm

It's wierd saying it, but we looked better in the second half than we did in the first.

Besler came on and did very well. Ream was overall pretty good. Geoff Cameron should be a starter every game.

I feel a little more comfortable about the left back issues after Ream's performance, but we'll see how he does against Brazil. Hope to see Cameron starting, too. If they put them at the outside back positions, then they'll have the entire backline sitting deep, and it probably makes it a little easier to not play a destroyer like Beckerman or Williams. At that point you can play Bradley-Jones as the double pivot in center midfield(?)
So what ended up being the big USMNT news?
I didn't watch the pregame, so I don't know what it was. Sounds like it wasn't much as any big story would've broken amongst everyone. Maybe the Jozy captaincy?

Bradley and a few other players talking about national team callups vs MLS:

- MLS schedules, national-team call-ups frustrate players
The constant tug-of-war between club and country obligations — the invisible hand ticking off a pros-and-cons list in the background — compounds the frustration. Dempsey’s lingering hamstring injury helps explain why his national-team call-up was delayed until the midweek match against Brazil.

It’s less clear why Bradley was left behind while Altidore temporarily filled in as USMNT captain.

“People have to understand that nothing is ever my decision,” Bradley said. “These things get discussed and decided at the highest level between the ownership at Toronto FC, the league office and U.S. Soccer. It puts players in awkward positions, because people think we’re the ones making decisions – I’m going to go to this one; I’m not going to go to that one.

“It’s not like that. … At the end, I go where they tell me.”

xbhaskarx

Michael Gehlken @UTgehlken
Chargers have released kicker Nick Novak, source says. Undrafted rookie Josh Lambo it is.

Paul Carr ‏@PCarrESPN
Josh Lambo was an FC Dallas keeper for four seasons and a first-round pick in the 2008 @MLS draft.

Brian Sciaretta @BrianSciaretta
@PCarrESPN Member of the 2009 US U-20 World Cup team too.

Lots of MLS-NFL news today...

Former soccer star accuses RG3's concussion doctor of nearly causing him brain damage

New York Cosmos assistant coach Alecko Eskandarian lashed out Saturday at Robert Kurtzke, the doctor who resigned earlier in the day from his position as the NFL's independent neurologist in the wake of Robert Griffin III concussion treatment controversy.

xbhaskarx

Which college programs produce the most national team players?

The sun is setting on college soccer’s influence on U.S. soccer. It’s a long, slow descent, but it’s already happening in fairly significant numbers among U20 Men’s National Team players. I examined what that looks like earlier this year, but for the sake of ease, here’s a graph of the number of U20 World Cup players culled from college rosters over the past 20 years.
It is dropping. Significantly.
640x379xU20.jpg.pagespeed.ic._xMgjMfx3e.jpg

The moment that number drops to zero will be significant, but we’re not quite there yet. Could that day be 2017? We’ll see.

There aren’t a ton of surprises here. UCLA’s had a hammerlock on the men’s college USMNT trade back to the 80′s, when Sigi Schmid brought the program into the modern NCAA era with a bang. Rimando, Feilhaber, Bocanegra… the names are legion. On the USWNT side, Anson Dorrance might as well be on the U.S. Soccer payroll. It’d take a few days to run through his program’s influence on the USWNT, but suffice it to say that we can start with Mia Hamm and go from there.

xbhaskarx

San Jose doesn't have a shirt sponsor?

No, we're the only team in MLS without one, despite having just moved into a new stadium. We've only ever had one, and that was Amway back from 2009-11. There were supposedly multiple companies interested this offseason, and yet somehow we still don't have one.

xbhaskarx

Oh wow if Seattle can only get 1 point at home against an understaffed TFC their playoff odds are going to take a hit... that would be big for both the Quakes and Timbers.

probably should've been a penalty called for Sapong.

No, we're the only team in MLS without one, despite having just moved into a new stadium. We've only ever had one, and that was Amway back from 2009-11. There were supposedly multiple companies interested this offseason, and yet somehow we still don't have one.

multiple offers and no sponsor? hm. that's kinda weird considering the number of companies in norcal that could probably do it...

better than having a giant "BIMBO" sticker on the front though.

Top Bottom