• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

xbhaskarx

The non-Dempsey/Martins players on the Sounders could just be replaced by a bunch of dudes from a nearby park and nothing would really change.

xbhaskarx

Matthew Doyle @MLSAnalyst
We've got Mapp, Nguyen, Feilhaber, McCarty, Kljestan all veterans in their prime. No spot on the #USMNT for any of them, I guess. :(

I don't know about Kljestan, he got his chances and didn't impress... meanwhile Nguyen got like 45 minutes total off the bench in three games.

xbhaskarx

I've never played Rocket League but this makes me want to try it out...

Rocket League with Real Announcers

The kind folks over at thumbstickathletes.com, which is exactly what you think it is, decided to have a bit of fun with some footage from Rocket League, the best soccer-demolition derby simulator ever made. And it is appropriately fantastic.

We’ve got Cantor, Schoen, Hudson (HE LITERALLY DISPERSES HIS ATOMS INSIDE HIS BODY), and a Brit completely losing his mind. Right, you’ll probably want to watch this again.

Cystm

Poetic justice that hat trick on Chicago.

I was wrong for not wanting him. Dead wrong. Hard not to be cynical about everything going on with my club.

LAFCVerified account
‏@LAFC
Starting Monday, we want to hear from you about our Club colors. #BuildTogether #WeAreLAFC

COO4WIyVAAA4biz.jpg

someone on reddit posted the LA city flag

a green/yellow color scheme would be cool and different.

xbhaskarx

Klinsmann adds three players to USMNT for Brazil friendly

Jurgen Klinsmann is making three changes to his United States team for their friendly against Brazil on Tuesday. Michael Bradley, Sean Johnson and Jordan Morris have all been added to the American roster for the match at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, MA.

In a bit of a surprise, Clint Dempsey was not among those added to the U.S. roster. He was originally going to join the team to take on Brazil, but Klinsmann opted to leave him with the Sounders as he continues to recover from a hamstring injury.

With Bradley, Johnson and Morris added to the team, Klinsmann sent William Yarbrough and Matt Besler back to their clubs. Yarbrough is no surprise, as Johnson steps in as the third string goalkeeper to get him some time with the national team.

Besler being sent home is unexpected. He played very well against Peru and seemed to be be ready to jump into the fray at the problematic centerback spot, but his leaving the team has nothing to do with how he performed. Instead, it was honoring a request from Sporting Kansas City, who have an MLS match on Wednesday.

xbhaskarx

Impressive...
FC Dallas took the pitch at MAPFRE Stadium on Sunday with a lineup featuring two teenagers, five Homegrown players and a 20-year-old in goal; the average age of coach Oscar Pareja's midfield was less than 20.

Not only was FCD's fresh-faced squad good enough to beat Columbus Crew SC, one of the top teams in the MLS Eastern Conference, without Fabian Castillo, Tesho Akindele, Blas Perez, Moises Hernandez and Je-Vaughn Watson. It was able to do so by a stunning 3-0 scoreline and via the calculated execution of a “perfect game,” in the words of a very proud Pareja.

Cystm

- The Guardian: MLS needs to look seriously at introducing international breaks

"...no fewer than 13 players will be missing on national team duty, including those top individual performers, as the league maintains its awkward stance of scheduling fixtures during international weeks...

In all, some 24 countries have issued 52 summonses for MLS talent, with an additional nine players called up for the US Under-23 Olympic team and a further eight for the Under-20s. Columbus are the worst hit, losing eight players in all, including leading marksman Kei Kamara, newly-signed Ghanaian Harrison Afful and fellow defender Waylon Francis of Costa Rica, while Montreal are missing six and Dallas will be without five regulars, notably Colombian winger Fabian Castillo."

- Stars and Stripes FC: Michael Bradley says MLS, USMNT schedule conflict is a “lose-lose for players"

"I never want to miss anything for anyone," he said, tearing his eyes away from the halftime show. "The most frustrating part of MLS at the moment is that we still, in a lot of places, play through FIFA dates."

"It's a lose-lose for players," Bradley said. "As a player, you hope at some point the league will make the decision to stop playing through the international dates."

Arials

"USA biggest two clubs: Montreal, Seattle"

By what metric would that be true even if Montreal was in the US lol

Montreal play in the US domestic league. Swansea would presumably count for England.

The metric is attendance but the data for MLS is wrong. By last season's data it should be Seattle on 43k and Toronto on 22k ("attendance" in a stadium that always looks empty) by this season's it would be Seattle on 42k then Orlando on 32k.

xbhaskarx

LA Galaxy open Blended Learning Environment with goal of creating the best academy in the United States

The LA Galaxy would like to one day have a first team made up primarily of graduates from the LA Galaxy Academy and this week, the club took a major step towards achieving that goal.

The Galaxy’s new high school called the Blended Learning Environment opened its doors on Monday to 50 students of various high school grade levels who will make up the club’s U-16 and U-18 academy sides.

“From Bruce Arena on down, we are locked into this project not for the short term which what separates us,” Vagenas said. “We are locked into this for three, five, 10, 15 years to shift the mentality and culture so that 10 years from now, we’re able to see a first team that contains seven or nine players produced from an Academy. We wouldn’t be doing this if we weren’t certain that we could accomplish this.”

The list of Americans playing overseas who left to join Major League Soccer almost increased by one during the recent transfer window.

Alejandro Bedoya, who played a prominent role with the United States men's national team at the 2014 World Cup and has been a regular starter for Ligue 1 club Nantes, agreed to a contract in principle with the Philadelphia Union, but Nantes pulled out of the deal at the last minute, a source told Yahoo Sports.

The contract would have paid Bedoya close to $1.2 million a year and the transfer fee was north of $1 million for Nantes, according to the source.

Nantes currently has Bedoya under a long-term contract, but the Union were under the impression that their transfer offer was going to be accepted by the French club when they came to terms with the midfielder.

Bedoya would have joined Jozy Altidore, Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey and Mix Diskerud in continuing the recent trend of U.S. national teamers leaving Europe for MLS.

Forward Aron Johannsson was offered to several MLS teams, with a Western Conference club among the frontrunners to try and land his services, but the 24-year-old ended up moving from Dutch side AZ Alkmaar to Germany to play for Werder Bremen in the Bundesliga.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/socce...353.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=tw

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

also voting is up for the Union's USL team name:

Options:
-Lehigh Valley Steel FC
-Bethlehem Steel FC
-Steel SC
-Lehigh Valley Blast
-[create a name]

- Grant Wahl: Match with Brazil just the tune-up USMNT needs before Mexico clash
- Doug McIntyre: United States facing center back, striker questions in Brazil contest
- Jeff Carlisle: Resurgent Jermaine Jones ready to help the United States tackle Brazil
- Jeff Carlisle: United States with a midfield conundrum for Brazil contest
- Sciaretta: Gyasi Zardes: "I Am Starting to See the Game Differently"
- Sciaretta: 5 Key Questions Ahead of Tonight's Brazil-U.S. Clash
- Sciaretta: Herzog Embraces Pressure of 2016 Olympic Qualifying

EDIT: Gotta love Jermaine Jone's crazy ass:
"I hate it when I have people around me, and they say, 'Ah, it's only a friendly,' or, 'It's only training,'" he said.

"This is the same when I came to New England. When I came, I started to give the training another level. From the first day, I told them, 'After training we can go out and have the best day. We can eat. We can have fun. But if I see you don't do it in training, if I play against you, maybe I catch you and it's a foul. Then you know maybe you did something wrong. If you're on my team, I will kick your ass that you run.'

"In a game if you run for 90 minutes up and down, they will say still, 'Ah man, they worked their ass off.' But if you don't do that and you just try to play tiki-taka, they will say, 'Yeah you lose and you try to make this dumb bulls--- play.' That's the point, to go away from, 'It's only a game.' No, it's your work. You have to make the best for your work."

Jones honed that attitude on the streets of Frankfurt, where he routinely played against older kids who would give him a few Deutschmarks if he was on the winning side. And it's something he won't let go of, even at home with his children, showing no mercy when it comes to pitched battles of FIFA 15.

"My two oldest ones, no chance I let them win," he said.

"My wife sometimes gets mad at me: 'They're your kids, sometimes you have to help them.' I say, 'No.'

"You know what's funny, now when I play FIFA with my kids, it's tough to beat them! But I never let them win against me so now they're good at it.

shoplifter

Losing 4-5 of our Starting XI absolutely killed us this weekend. Our entire game revolves around exploiting the flanks and getting the ball to Kamara. Not having Afful/Francis/Kei/Cedrick/Meram is absolutely devastating.

We could (should, perhaps, given the possession/final third passing stats) have just as easily won, but quite honestly the league is ripping off fans across the board when they schedule matches on international dates.

It's even more galling when you consider that the league doesn't schedule *every* team to play on International dates. At least then would have an effect on all teams, even if not to an equal degree. Definitely seems like this has a greater effect on teams that manage to sniff out quality players that are lesser-known, which is what the clubs that can't afford insane DP level salaries have to do.

xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx

#USMNT Starting XI for #USAvBRA (4-2-3-1): Guzan; Cameron, Orozco, Alvarado, Ream; Jones, Bedoya; Yedlin, Bradley ©, Zardes; Altidore

COayHjRWUAAgZIO.png

#USMNT Subs for #USAvBRA: Howard; Gonzalez, Spector, Garza; Morales, Diskerud, Williams, Corona; Morris, Johannsson, Wood

#USMNT defender John Brooks and forward Andrew Wooten will not dress tonight

John Brooks was not 100% for tonight’s #USAvBRA match and @J_Klinsmann did not want to risk him ahead of Oct. 10 match vs. Mexico

@J_Klinsmann liked what he saw from Andrew Wooten, but needed to reduce the roster for tonight’s #USAvBRA match.

NH Apache

Banned
Us soccer website says Espn2 for 8 eastern. Am I missing something?

Scratch the last, stupid espn just not gonna say anything until the game is literally about to start.

Top Bottom