• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

CQbeZ6PUAAAUcm5.jpg:large

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
Defenders: Ventura Alvarado (Club América), DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), Tim Ream (Fulham), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City)
Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Danny Williams (Reading), DeAndre Yedlin (Sunderland), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

there seems to be a lot of empty seats in Toronto this afternoon
Cold, windy and rainy, announced crowd of 18k.

This was my first match of the year not in the supporters end. Man, their noise carries. Can't wait til the roof comes on next year.

Also, sorry Notrollious, this season you guys did as well against us as we did against NYC (which is not well).

Cystm

Cyle Larin is having a hell of a season after that slow start. Kaka is helping him become a confident striker.

Edit: LMAO These commentators are going ham on the simulation. These Orlando guys don't even care. OCSC scores again and the both scream: "Yeaaahhhhhh."

Here is the commentary during Venegas' simulation: https://streamable.com/x1zd

Clydefrog

CQbeZ6PUAAAUcm5.jpg:large

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
Defenders: Ventura Alvarado (Club América), DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), Tim Ream (Fulham), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City)
Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Danny Williams (Reading), DeAndre Yedlin (Sunderland), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

so great to see Spector and Ream back!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Cyle Larin is having a hell of a season after that slow start. Kaka is helping him become a confident striker.

Edit: LMAO These commentators are going ham on the simulation. These Orlando guys don't even care. OCSC scores again and the both scream: "Yeaaahhhhhh."

Here is the commentary during Venegas' simulation: https://streamable.com/x1zd

Damn, OCSC has great announcers. Those guys sound awesome.

so great to see Spector and Ream back!

Definitely glad to see Ream back, Spector too. Little worried Klinsmann is going to try to play Alvarado though.

Cystm

Good to see Brad Evans as well.

xb catch another ban? Usually he is complaining about Jurgen's selections by now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Good to see Brad Evans as well.

xb catch another ban? Usually he is complaining about Jurgen's selections by now.

Outside of bringing Alvarado I don't really think there's anything to complain about with this line-up. If this team can't get the job done then that's gotta be it for Klinsmann.

Cystm

Chicago are actually scoring. Benjamin Button scored between Shuttleworth's legs and Gilberto just scored a nice goal too.

3 - 1 Chicago.

GRW810

Not much in the way of Red Bulls conversation in here tonight. Back to winning ways, East is all but sealed, shield well within range.

Cystm

- NYPost: Red Bulls plan honors for coach they outraged fans by firing

“The reason why [I stayed away] early in the year – I said it all along, I truly meant it and I still mean it – I didn’t want to be any distraction to a team I still have in my heart,’’ Petke told the Post. “The worst thing would be me walking around, seeing people, going into the South Ward and seeing people. That would’ve been a distraction.

“What happened, happened. It’s not about me, about the new coaching staff or the front office at all. It’s about the players on the team moving forward and what’s in their best interest.’’

Class.

Cystm

Petke remains the best. Someone really needs to pick him up. Philly could probably use a decent coach, maybe if Chicago doesn't get Herrera.

NY gets Jesse Marsch. Chicago gets Petke. Mad world.

I wish we could pull in Bob Bradley (again) The signings he could make and his ability to unify a club is incredible. He has taken Stabaek from obscurity in second tier Norway and put them in the running for European qualification in two seasons.

x8PtEtb.jpg

He looks like a general.

Curious to see who we get.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I wish we could pull in Bob Bradley (again) The signings he could make and his ability to unify a club is incredible. He has taken Stabaek from obscurity in second tier Norway and put them in the running for European qualification in two seasons.

x8PtEtb.jpg

He looks like a general.

Bob Bradley is going to make the jump to England at some point, he's been doing too well with Stabaek not to be drawing attention from the clubs on the bottom of the PL table, or clubs looking to move up.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

x8PtEtb.jpg

He looks like a general.

Bob Bradley did not get them promoted. While Norway isn't a very big league, Stabaek has been in the top flight for 13 out of the past 15 seasons.

Not much in the way of Red Bulls conversation in here tonight. Back to winning ways, East is all but sealed, shield well within range.

They did well. Last game, Columbus consistently kept hitting long balls to Kamara, who'd flick it along to a teammate without much effort. They scored the tying or winning goal off of that. This time, they took him totally out of the game. Same with Finlay. Non factor. It was wonderful.

Other thoughts:
- Petke is class and his sweaters are still even classier
- BWP complains a lot
- I <3 Robles

zroid

Banned
Greg Vanney, he who has not even coached a full season yet, is now the winningest TFC manager.

That is amazingly pathetic

Cystm

Bob Bradley did not get them promoted. While Norway isn't a very big league, Stabaek has been in the top flight for 13 out of the past 15 seasons.

They were in 1. Divisjon in 2013, after finishing at the very bottom of the table, and in the 10th and 12th position (out of 16) the two previous seasons before that.

Last year they finished 9th and made it to the semi-finals of the Norwegian Cup under Bradley.

Bradley pulled this club together. He brought in Adama Diomande who scored 25 times in 26 games. He was sold to Hull City for £1.7 million. That's a huge chunk of change for a poor club. He used it to broaden the depth of the squad. Every Bradley guy brought in has helped lift the club.

They are now in 2nd place (so far)

Arials

For real though, if they were to get an American it would be Bob Bradley.

For real though, no American is the calibre of candidate they would be looking at.

The last manager who moved from Norway to England - Solskjær - failed badly, I don't see an English side going back to recruit managers there any time soon.

Cystm

Seattle v LA on right now. LA Galaxy twitter is shitting on the Seahawks paint.

https://twitter.com/LAGalaxy

For real though, no American is the calibre of candidate they would be looking at.

The last manager who moved from Norway to England - Solskjær - failed badly, I don't see an English side going back to recruit managers there any time soon.

Just read through your post history in this thread.

You try so hard tho.

No offense to the big soccer fans here, but this is why I still can't take MLS seriously:

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...-sounders-fc-vs-la-galaxy/details/video/51813

1) Football lines
2) Big ass seahawks logo on the field.

I'm willing to look the other way if these things happen during an NWSL game. Maybe even a USL or NASL game, but not MLS.

If Garber wants his league to be a Top 5 worldwide soccer league (as he has alluded to) and wants America to go from "Big 4 pro sports league" to "Big 5 pro sports league" then playing on a football pitch, with football lines, and the NFL's team logo on the pitch should never, ever happen.

I know there's a MNF game tomorrow, still inexcusable for me. Soccer games being played over football lines look worse than when played on a baseball stadium and you can see the baseball diamond on or near the field.

Cystm

It is a fucking joke though. At the very least pay to have another teams logos painted on after the match.

That said, 56,097 people showed up for that match.

It is a fucking joke though. At the very least pay to have another teams logos painted on after the match.

That said, 56,097 people showed up for that match.

I think the turnaround is too quick to repaint after the match and have it not look like a mess during play

Meier

I don't find it to be that bad, given the number of NFL and MLB teams that have shared a stadium in the past. Sometimes it just happens. This instance is particularly egregious though, that much is certain.

FuturusX

I don't find it to be that bad, given the number of NFL and MLB teams that have shared a stadium in the past. Sometimes it just happens. This instance is particularly egregious though, that much is certain.

Apparently they need 18-20 hours to transition between Sounders football painted field and a Seahawks one. They'll be investing in an improved process and technology to bring that down in the offseason coupled with better scheduling.

http://www.theolympian.com/sports/soccer/mls/sounders-fc/sounders-insider-blog/article37368861.html

I'd rather they spend the time to figuring out how to get the Sounders to play on grass. NFL lines or not the surface is terrible, especially for a team that prides themselves on a slick passing game.

Was it just me, or was the color commentator for the Sounders/Galaxy match a little bit drunk or something last night?

(full disclosure, I was a little drunk or something while watching)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How do the Sounders not have their own stadium? With how big the team is up there you'd think it would be a no brainer.

FuturusX

How do the Sounders not have their own stadium? With how big the team is up there you'd think it would be a no brainer.

Finding a suitable site for a 45-60K capacity stadium in downtown Seattle would be problematic on a logistical and financial level, so you are realistically looking at sites outside of Seattle, aka Redmond / Bellevue or South of Seattle. That would be a big shift for the fans, not the mention the businesses whom right now get to cater to high spending soccer fans in and around downtown Seattle (specifically pioneer square).

In other words, a Sounders specific stadium has to remain in Seattle and building one is quite a challenging prospect.

On improving the pitch:

A hybrid grass turf solution is probably the best compromise. I believe there is a new type that allows the artificial fibers to wrap and intwine with grass to make a more durable surface that still feels more like a grass one. That would be a start.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Finding a suitable site for a 45-60K capacity stadium in downtown Seattle would be problematic on a logistical and financial level, so you are realistically looking at sites outside of Seattle, aka Redmond / Bellevue or South of Seattle. That would be a big shift for the fans, not the mention the businesses whom right now get to cater to high spending soccer fans in and around downtown Seattle (specifically pioneer square).

In other words, a Sounders specific stadium has to remain in Seattle and building one is quite a challenging prospect.

On improving the pitch:

A hybrid grass turf solution is probably the best compromise. I believe there is a new type that allows the artificial fibers to wrap and intwine with grass to make a more durable surface that still feels more like a grass one. That would be a start.

That's fair enough, but you'd think they would figure it to be worth the investment given how popular the team is up there to find a place in Seattle that would work.

Top Bottom