• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Am I the only one that thinks having specific stadiums for teams that could totally share stadiums easily is super wasteful and dumb? The Clink is a pretty nice relatively new stadium, the seasons only overlap for a couple of months, and it's not like one of those other teams where the Sounders are sharing a stadium too small for them or that forces an awkward sized pitch or something. Why bother? The turf thing? I don't see how a new stadium changes that considering that basically all the fields for any purpose up here are turf anyway. I've been living in Seattle almost a decade, playing multiple soccer games a week the whole time, and I've played on a single grass field once (it's only open for use for like 2 months a year).

Cystm

Why A Soccer Specific Stadium Will Never Be Built In Seattle

Nice summation of the stadium situation.

I guess if you are a fan of both teams, you are willing to be more accommodating to having another team's logo all over the pitch.

I think It looks like shit.

@LAGalaxy
Extra point no good!
giphy.gif

EDIT: Apparently there was a wedding at last night's SEAvLA game as well...

- Top New York City F.C. executive Tom Glick on the way out

The franchise has hired noted headhunter firm Korn Ferry to take the lead in the search for a new chief executive. The league source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that "they are down the road with the search process."

MLS, FOX Sports Latin America announce partnership to broadcast live games in Mexico, Central America, South America and the Caribbean

As part of this 2015-2018 pan-regional agreement, FOX Sports Latin America will telecast live two exclusive MLS regular season matches per week, at least one Decision Day match, half of the MLS Cup Playoff games and the AT&T MLS All-Star Game and MLS Cup in alternating years. In addition, FOX Sports Latin America will produce a weekly highlights program as well as feature news, analysis and highlights across its digital platforms.

FuturusX

Am I the only one that thinks having specific stadiums for teams that could totally share stadiums easily is super wasteful and dumb? The Clink is a pretty nice relatively new stadium, the seasons only overlap for a couple of months, and it's not like one of those other teams where the Sounders are sharing a stadium too small for them or that forces an awkward sized pitch or something. Why bother? The turf thing? I don't see how a new stadium changes that considering that basically all the fields for any purpose up here are turf anyway. I've been living in Seattle almost a decade, playing multiple soccer games a week the whole time, and I've played on a single grass field once (it's only open for use for like 2 months a year).

I'm a Sounders season ticket holder and I'll say that I don't mind sharing a stadium with the Seahawks but I do take issue with the surface. There really isn't any good reason why the surface isn't a hybrid grass setup except - money. Grass remains the best surface to play the game on with hybrid a in some respects making it even better.

Traditional field turf merely gets the job done. You have generations of kids here playing on a suboptimal surface, who get get used to it, and don't know any better. But at the very top level of the game it does not cut it. If you want promote good technical football, that focuses on a strong passing game, you'll want a generally good level of playing surface ( along with coaching and consistent programs ). I'd argue it makes all the difference.

I know there are few NFL teams that play on a hybrid surface, I don't know if it's anything like the one's in Europe - but that's the way forward. Yes it's going to cost a lot more money and you'll need to hire good people to maintain it. For the Seahawks it will make zero difference to their game, which is probably why there has not been a big push to go hybrid.

Few and far between in MLS these days. How close are you really following the league?

I have been following the league for years. I follow a lot of pro domestic sports league in the US, with a different interest level on each of them. I know about MLS more than the average american, but certainly not as much as diehard fans.

Watching a soccer game - especially the premier league in the US - over football lines just looks bad! Looks bush league. Looks like a high school game. Like I said I can understand it for NASL, NWSL, USL playing over football lines, but for MLS it just looks bad.

Look, I understand multipurpose stadiums and am all for them. You can kinda see the soccer lines on today's NFL game as well. You can often see baseball diamonds in some NFL games and when NYCFC plays. Those, to me, are okay (though not ideal). they are not major detractors from the game like gridiron lines are for a soccer game.

A hybrid grass turf solution is probably the best compromise. I believe there is a new type that allows the artificial fibers to wrap and intwine with grass to make a more durable surface that still feels more like a grass one. That would be a start.

This too. Since it's a new technology, it's probably more expensive.

Am I the only one that thinks having specific stadiums for teams that could totally share stadiums easily is super wasteful and dumb?

I agree on sharing stadiums/arenas whenever possible. The venue's owners just need to be cognizant of the different sports, the different audience for those sports, and how to best cater for each team's fans and athletes.

kIdMuScLe

Landon Donovan says in the Heineken ESPN FC Boot Room that a loss to Mexico Saturday should earn USMNT coach Jurgen Klinsmann a pink slip: "Anywhere else in the world if this coach had had [such poor] results and they lose this game against Mexico, they’d be fired.”

what do you guys think? I agree with him. You can't keep having these inconsistent games and stuff...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
what do you guys think? I agree with him. You can't keep having these inconsistent games and stuff...

Donovan's absolutely right. If Klinsmann can't beat Mexico with the team he's called up, then he needs to go. The 23 that Klinsmann called up should be able to beat Mexico 8 times out of 10, especially since they'll be missing players. If he can't get the job done, with what is essentially the squad he brought to the World Cup, then he should be fired right after the final whistle.

Meier

I'm take it or leave it on the decision, but I don't think we could get a better coach so it feels kind of pointless to me. I guess we'll see. Hopefully we win and it's a moot point.

But I can't take anything Donovan says about Klinsmann very seriously.

Cystm

I'm take it or leave it on the decision, but I don't think we could get a better coach so it feels kind of pointless to me. I guess we'll see. Hopefully we win and it's a moot point.

I agree. The USSF really smells of Blatter sadly, and Sunil seems to still be coveting Klinsmann. I can see losing the match and keeping Klinsmann. Combine that with your point, on who would we replace him with?

NoRéN

Decided to take a peek in here expecting alot of hoopla over Donovan's comments. Happy to see more people agreeing with the obvious.

This should be a comfortable win for US. If I can't sleep next Saturday because the entire city is celebrating Mexico's win, I'm gonna be pissed.

kIdMuScLe

The only thing I give an advantage to klinnsmann is on recruiting. That's all. I feel like if you leave klinnsmann in charge of the galaxy right now he wouldn't know what to do with them. So yeah I believe that there are better coaches available than Klinsmann. Arena had his chances and he blew it. Bradley got treated unfairly I think. Petke I think should be given a chance. He knows how to put a lineup and think he knows how important chemistry is to a successful team.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The only thing I give an advantage to klinnsmann is on recruiting. That's all. I feel like if you leave klinnsmann in charge of the galaxy right now he wouldn't know what to do with them. So yeah I believe that there are better coaches available than Klinsmann. Arena had his chances and he blew it. Bradley got treated unfairly I think. Petke I think should be given a chance. He knows how to put a lineup and think he knows how important chemistry is to a successful team.

Petke needs a little more experience before he's given the US squad. I'll be surprised if one of the MLS teams looking for a coach doesn't give him an offer though, he's a proven quantity in the legaue and both of his years as coach were very successful.

NoRéN

Petke needs a little more experience before he's given the US squad. I'll be surprised if one of the MLS teams looking for a coach doesn't give him an offer though, he's a proven quantity in the legaue and both of his years as coach were very successful.

just reminds me how crazy it was that he was fired.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NoRéN;180937642 said:
just reminds me how crazy it was that he was fired.

He probably deserved a season to see if he could work in the new system, but the decision has turned out better than expected. I seriously didn't think we'd be as good as we are at the start of the season. At the very least Petke left a good base to build on and he should be proud of that, and of winning our first piece of silverware.

Esch

Banned

I dunno, I just don't think Klinsmann is right for us. I hate how he's organized like every aspect of our team. Moving Bradley into an advanced position when we have Feilhaber/Nguyen available there. Bizarre moves like playing Bedoya in a holding role. Insisting on continuing the Yedlin winger experiment. His insistence on playing Timmy Chandler :)yuck). Omitting guys like Cameron when we have a CB issue?

As far as getting a better coach, i don't know about that. Jorge Luis Pinto is serving just an incumbent/interim role for Honduras? Bielsa? Di Matteo? Ancelotti? Honestly i'd take Bradley back.

Brendan Rodgers is available.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, I just don't think Klinsmann is right for us. I hate how he's organized like every aspect of our team. Moving Bradley into an advanced position when we have Feilhaber/Nguyen available there. Bizarre moves like playing Bedoya in a holding role. Insisting on continuing the Yedlin winger experiment. His insistence on playing Timmy Chandler :)yuck). Omitting guys like Cameron when we have a CB issue?

As far as getting a better coach, i don't know about that. Jorge Luis Pinto is serving just an incumbent/interim role for Honduras? Bielsa? Di Matteo? Ancelotti? Honestly i'd take Bradley back.

He doesn't have a clue about tactics or playing people in their proper positions.

Meier

If we could get Carlo, of course, great -- go for it. But a guy like him is going to want a salary of at least $8-10m after his time with Chelsea, PSG and Madrid and there's no way the US will pay that. Di Matteo will want at least $5-6m (and isn't worth that). Bielsa is a mad genius, but I can't see his style working with our team and our players. I'd be willing to give it a shot I suppose just for the laughs, but hopefully it'd involve a very short term contract initially. Jorge Luis Pinto is an interesting idea, but it's not like he has a pattern of major success and I'm not sure he'd be an improvement at all. It feels like a lateral move to me.

Coaches who've had marquee positions in Europe will all want at least $4-5m a season at a minimum and I'm not sure US Soccer would be willing to pay that.

Meier

Dang, forgot to do anything with my fantasy team. What the fuck at Piatti.. is he ever gonna play again?! Biggest waste of my fantasy selection in ages.. I keep holding onto him in hopes he'll play since he has never showed as injured in the game, and he's played precisely once for me out of like 7 or 8 games.

That Montreal loss last night was absolutely huge for Orlando.. fingers crossed we can pull this out.

ZZMitch

Dang, forgot to do anything with my fantasy team. What the fuck at Piatti.. is he ever gonna play again?! Biggest waste of my fantasy selection in ages.. I keep holding onto him in hopes he'll play since he has never showed as injured in the game, and he's played precisely once for me out of like 7 or 8 games.

That Montreal loss last night was absolutely huge for Orlando.. fingers crossed we can pull this out.

He was Argentina because his dad was very sick. He is back now I believe though.

Meier

He was Argentina because his dad was very sick. He is back now I believe though.

Ugh. It'd be nice if the game showed some sort of warning about him being away from the team like every other fantasy game in the world does if someone is on compassionate leave. *shakes fist*

ZZMitch

So apparently there is a 19 year old striker (Jordan Siebatcheu) who has scored 3 goals in League 1 so far this season and no one had any idea he is American and eligible for USMNT... could be a good fit for the Olympic squad.

NoRéN

Who's secretly rooting for the US to lose tomorrow so that Klinsmann gets fired?

Fess up, I know that there are a few of you out there.
It's no secret that I hate klinnsman. Still, i want that win. There's no way USA loses.

It's Mexico. Can't have them winning even if it is a home game for them. :p

It's strange losing a club player through injury yet being somewhat happy about it.

Clydefrog

Kinda glad I'm not going to the game tomorrow. It's going to be 100 degrees outside. Absolutely miserable. Players are going to need that heat break each half.

The piss bombs will be boiling hot. Oh god it sounds awful.

Go USA!

NoRéN

Kinda glad I'm not going to the game tomorrow. It's going to be 100 degrees outside. Absolutely miserable. Players are going to need that heat break each half.

The piss bombs will be boiling hot. Oh god it sounds awful.

Go USA!
Rose bowl is a hassle to exit and it's gonna be hot. I would rather watch in the safety and comfort of my living room. Then I can take a leisurely stroll with my dogs down the boulevard clad in red white and blue.

Seriously, it better be a win, a comfortable win.

Meier

Bedoya is out for the match tomorrow.
Don't fully understand calling in Bobby Wood to replace him. Having a domestic player who is nearby come in makes more sense. Wood was presumably informed of this in advance but it still seems like it'd be more reasonable to grab a guy who was already in the backyard.

Wood has been in training for the last few days, iirc. He was going to play in the CR game, but they activated him early because Bedoya was sick.

Beach

Happy Freedom Day everyone.

Expecting a diamond midfield, I have Dempsey and Altidore up front, a diamond midfield with Bradley up top, Zardes and ??? on the sides and Jones behind them.

Defense will be Beasley, Besler, Cameron and Johnson.

Only question is that left midfield spot.

Go USA!

Top Bottom