• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Happy Freedom Day everyone.

Expecting a diamond midfield, I have Dempsey and Altidore up front, a diamond midfield with Bradley up top, Zardes and ??? on the sides and Jones behind them.

Defense will be Beasley, Besler, Cameron and Johnson.

Only question is that left midfield spot.

Go USA!

Beckerman's probably more likely to take the holding role, which would put Jones on the side and give him the freedom to move as he likes. Basically I expect the diamond to look like the one at the WC before Jozy got injured.

NoRéN;181246444 said:
2 wins for the star and stripes today?

Hope so.

NoRéN

Sort of baffling that the stadium is empty in such an important game.

With the game today and both semi finals on before I figured there would be some sort of viewing party there or something. Good way to have fans turn out and support the under-23 team.

and it's 0-2 Honduras. damn.

NoRéN;181251616 said:
With the game today and both semi finals on before I figured there would be some sort of viewing party there or something. Good way to have fans turn out and support the under-23 team.

and it's 0-2 Honduras. damn.

Apparently it was 75 bucks for seats. Cheapest price.

ZZMitch

Lineup for #usmnt vs. #ElTri: Guzan; Johnson, Cameron, Besler, Beasley; Jones, Beckerman, Bradley (C), Zardes; Dempsey, Altidore

Looks good to me (this is the first time I have thought this in a while)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Klinsmann needs to go. He brought his world cup squad and still couldn't get it done. Can we have Bob Bradley back please? Or anyone really?

ZZMitch

Man today sucked. Wouldn't be sad to see Klinsmann get the axe.

It felt like we had 10% possession or something. Maybe someone with skill on the ball like Benny or Nguyen could have helped with that...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Man today sucked. Wouldn't be sad to see Klinsmann get the axe.

It felt like we had 10% possession or something. Maybe someone with skill on the ball like Benny or Nguyen could have helped with that...

I feel like Dempsey wasn't even out there tonight, what the fuck was going on with him? Jozy had more shots on goal than Deuce tonight, usually the other way around.

methodman

Banned
I just hate how klinsmann hasn't moved to integrate more youth into our team...other than players who play in Germany, regardless of what level of team.

NoRéN

they're shitting up my thread :|

Klinsi's got to go. He's had his time.

You weren't kidding.

All in all, Mexico outclassed a US team that resorted to the very thing people claimed the last coach would do, bunker down. If this was a boxing match Mexico was delivering punches to the face and USA was trying to survive the round. Pathetic overall.

Oh yeah, Dempsey is a glory hog piece of shit only looking to make himself look good. Dude needs to fuck off and USMNT fans need to accept that Altidore is not our next top man. He's another Adu just at a later stage in life.

Cystm

You people clamoring for Klinsmann to be sacked are short sighted and really just the worst. You're like the kids that chant "Fight, fight, fight" when there is confrontation.

Jozy Altidore is garbage. He is lazy, he has little to no ball control, and passes like a small child. When he is beat by defenders (all of the time) he fouls and then belligerently complains and whines, often catching a card in the process. He is not a team player, and acts as if he is some tremendously gifted footballer when in truth he can't even hack it on TFC let alone Sunderland. He's a fucking disgrace.

Dempsey looked like shit out there. He was off, but for the most part has played well. He had a strong Gold Cup and up until the USOC incident had been performing well for the Sounders. Really unfortunate he was off for this game.

Beasley and Besler looked like they were in the battle for Normandy out there.

Zardes was also nonexistent. His hair is the only thing that gave him any presence. Not ready for this profile of a match.

Johnson (a Klinsi guy that plays over in Germany. Stop being so xeno or whatever the fuck your deal is.) played well on both sides and had a dangerous run that went unnoticed or was just too much for Zardes to handle. Out of everyone his passing was the most accurate. Though that is not all that hard to achieve when everyone else cannot pass at fucking all.

Jones (another Klinsi guy that played over in Deutschland, before coming to the Revs and being the catalyst that brought them to MLS Cup) He played with more hustle and skill than nearly everyone else out on the pitch.

Cameron was ready to go all out as soon as he came out of the tunnel. The second the anthems were over he was running sprints and looked like he was gearing up for an important match. (YOU DONT SAY!?) He was rock solid out there, and I really wish we played him more often.

Beckerman needs to shave his fucking hair. He could not pass, he had shit for possesion, but he held down midfield okay?

Guzan did what he could. I would have rather had Timmy out there, though I am not sure it would have really been a whole lot better. He's in good form with the toffees' but they are in good form as a whole.

Bobby Wood (the most hated Klinsi guy?) scored another crucial goal for us late in the game. "Why does he even make it on the roster?" "Why did we not have more youth?"

Fuck outta here.

Changes need to be made, but pinning it all on the coach is lazy and short sighted. He is not flawless and makes some decisions that leave me asking: "Why the fuck are you doing that?" ie Wondowlowski's continued presence or starting Zardes. Allowing Jozy to pretend he still valuable.)

He also does things like sub in Brad Evans instead of Wondo, because we obviously tied it, the possibility of pens was there and Evans is fairly good at them. His subs Yedlinny and Wood combined to get us our 2nd goal.

Bring in the next coach and that still won't change the fact that we as a country are still treating this sport as third tier.

Clydefrog

I actually thought Johnson had a horrible game (as did most our team, but still).

He didn't play like himself at all. Usually, he's lighting it up on the wing and causing all sorts of trouble. He did none of that tonight.

I think the biggest problem with Klinsi is he promised us a change of style and that has not happened. This was classic, bunker-down, counter-attacking soccer the USA has played for the last 20 years.

Dartastic

Posted this in the match thread.

From what I can see on Reddit, a lot of people thought Jones was bad tonight. ...I thought he was actually quite good.

However, I do think this team very blatantly needs a large overhaul. Our main players are long in the tooth. Dempsey was non-existent, Beasley, while good, is OLD and basically was retired, Jones is old as well and isn't long for this team, and Altidore has been shit for a while and shouldn't be starting.

Personally, I'm hoping that in a couple years Nagbe can get on the RW, Bradley can play a natural 6, Zelalem can take Bradley's current spot and Green can step up and get on the left flank. I'm sure I'm fucking stuff up and forgetting players, but I'm drunk and that's the first thing that came into my head.

I actually thought Johnson had a horrible game (as did most our team, but still).

He didn't play like himself at all. Usually, he's lighting it up on the wing and causing all sorts of trouble. He did none of that tonight.

I think the biggest problem with Klinsi is he promised us a change of style and that has not happened. This was classic, bunker-down, counter-attacking soccer the USA has played for the last 20 years.

Can't change style when most of the players have no basic fundamentals like first touch or ball controll. It will be the same as a lot of people say about the changes Klinsmann implemented with Germany. You will start to see his implementations being a success after he is gone. I'm sure several things with the youth system will come through years later.

Also the way most of the MLS players look, back up his claims about the league. They play like garbage and need to challenge themselves a little more. Sure the league is getting better but I don't think it's benefitting some players to grow more. They are too comfortable staying with no challenge.

And finally, who is going to replace him? Bunker Bob will most likely do the same gameplan. I'm also not a fan of bringing former coaches back.

kIdMuScLe

Can't change style when most of the players have no basic fundamentals like first touch or ball controll. It will be the same as a lot of people say about the changes Klinsmann implemented with Germany. You will start to see his implementations being a success after he is gone. I'm sure several things with the youth system will come through years later.

Also the way most of the MLS players look, back up his claims about the league. They play like garbage and need to challenge themselves a little more. Sure the league is getting better but I don't think it's benefitting some players to grow more. They are too comfortable staying with no challenge.

And finally, who is going to replace him? Bunker Bob will most likely do the same gameplan. I'm also not a fan of bringing former coaches back.

He has had 4 years already and they have gotten worse. Why is he carrying a majority of 30+ yrs old players? Why bring Julian green to the World Cup and not even call him up to important games like these? Why does he constantly play players out of position? Lledget, feilhaiber and Nguyen are better on the midfield than zardes and yedlin. And I don't understand why some are saying that there is no one else to coach the team. There is always somebody out there that could replace klinnsman. If there's no one better than klinnsman then we just keep him on even if we miss the World Cup because welp **shoulder shrug* there is no one else?

He has had 4 years already and they have gotten worse. Why is he carrying a majority of 30+ yrs old players? Why bring Julian green to the World Cup and not even call him up to important games like these? Why does he constantly play players out of position? Lledget, feilhaiber and Nguyen are better on the midfield than zardes and yedlin. And I don't understand why some are saying that there is no one else to coach the team. There is always somebody out there that could replace klinnsman. If there's no one better than klinnsman then we just keep him on even if we miss the World Cup because welp **shoulder shrug* there is no one else?

Sure there is always others but the timing isn't right. Yeah Mexico hired Sven in the past and that did wonders since he wasn't familiar with this region. Its not just grab a coach with a name and he will succeed.

All the switching Mexico did last go around almost caused them to not qualify. Just cause...yeah you can pick up someone else but it can send things into a endless downward spiral. International coaches see players infrequently and you almost need to get a foreign coach at this point. The best timing would either be now or immediately after the world Cup. Unfortunately with now, I don't see them being able to round up someone this quick. It's been a few unfortunate loses and they have not really been planning for a change. A rush decision for something like this isn't smart.

NoRéN

It's been a few unfortunate loses and they have not really been planning for a change. A rush decision for something like this isn't smart.

lol

4th in the Gold Cup behind Panama and JAMAICA.
Loss to Mexico to miss out on the Confederations cup.

We really have to stop picking and choosing which tournament are worth playing for and when.

Cystm

Klinsmann is bringing in:

Goalkeeper Bill Hamid (D.C. United), midfielders, Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC) and forward Andrew Wooten (Sandhausen), will join the squad upon the team’s arrival Sunday.

Full sqaud:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa/ENG), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Tim Howard (Everton/ENG)

DEFENDERS (7): Ventura Alvarado (Club America/MEX), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/ENG), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Monchenglandbach/GER), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana/MEX), Tim Ream (Fulham FC/ENG), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City FC/ENG)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes/FRA), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC), Danny Williams (Reading FC/ENG), DeAndre Yedlin (Sunderland AFC/ENG)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Bobby Wood (Union Berlin/GER), Andrew Wooten (FC Sandhausen/GER), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

How in the fuck is Jozy still on that lineup?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Jozy was fine for the first 75 minutes, sans not scoring off one of his few chances, and was pretty much our only scoring threat for a large swath of the game. Him and Bradley had our only shots on goal in regulation. I'm more pissed at Dempsey's performance, it was like he wasn't even on the field for most of the game and when he did decide to show up he kept trying to dribble through 4 defenders instead of laying it off.

Jozy was fine for the first 75 minutes, sans not scoring off one of his few chances, and was pretty much our only scoring threat for a large swath of the game. Him and Bradley had our only shots on goal in regulation. I'm more pissed at Dempsey's performance, it was like he wasn't even on the field for most of the game and when he did decide to show up he kept trying to dribble through 4 defenders instead of laying it off.

He thought he could skate by undetected because he had hair. When's the last time he had hair and not a shaved head?

Seriously though, he was a ghost.

I'd like to see us have a Latin/South American head coach. For the last 30 years we've had Euro or American coaches who have more or less preached the same style. Fitness, grit, bunker-down, and counter-attack.

Yet the last 10 years Americans have been clamoring for a more possession-based and positive attacking-style with more creativity and flare. Bringing in a German coach who is even more obsessed with fitness is the exact opposite direction we need to go in.

In the 1990s Japan brought in Brazilian coaches to help with their youth development. It's no surprise that both the Japanese mens and womens national teams show more creativity than the US national teams. It's also why more Japanese players have reached the higher tiers of the European leagues than Americans.

I think Japan and South Korea are good measuring sticks for us because both those countries didn't really embrace soccer until the 1980s similar to the US. While until recently we relied almost exclusively on British coaches at the youth level, Japan relied on Latin coaches. There's pros and cons to both styles, but we're definitely at the stage where I think we could benefit greatly from having both a Latin head coach for the senior teams and a Latin technical director. It's the only way I see us breaking out of this constant bunker-down/counter-attack cycle.

Hate to say it, but I really, really thought the US was turning a corner, maybe getting on the right path to becoming a truly competitive team - with real chances of winning - in 2022 or 2026. I mean, it's tough not to get excited when your B team beats the Netherlands and Germany's B/C team in their home country. And I mean it. It was exciting to see and I thought we were going somewhere.

Fast forward to this year and we lost to Jamaica and then Panama in the Gold Cup. And then we lose to Honduras in the U23 game, a game that could have sealed the USMNT's return to the olympic games and have shown that our youth team is growing. Finally we lose to a Mexico team that is not 100% complete and with a brand new coach. All these games were at home (though they might not have necessarily had a home crowd) and the US was - on every single game IMO - the odds on favorite on paper. Inconsistency is what really, really bothers me about the USMNT.

I remember some time ago some talk about how our youth soccer program was poor compared to the way they do it in Europe and Latin America. Has that been addressed? I am not sure if a lot of inner city kids are playing the game or if it's still a "rich kid's" game in the US. At least now kids can look forward to making a career and millions in the MLS, so maybe that will change how the kids look at the game?

kIdMuScLe

Hate to say it, but I really, really thought the US was turning a corner, maybe getting on the right path to becoming a truly competitive team - with real chances of winning - in 2022 or 2026. I mean, it's tough not to get excited when your B team beats the Netherlands and Germany's B/C team in their home country. And I mean it. It was exciting to see and I thought we were going somewhere.

Fast forward to this year and we lost to Jamaica and then Panama in the Gold Cup. And then we lose to Honduras in the U23 game, a game that could have sealed the USMNT's return to the olympic games and have shown that our youth team is growing. Finally we lose to a Mexico team that is not 100% complete and with a brand new coach. All these games were at home (though they might not have necessarily had a home crowd) and the US was - on every single game IMO - the odds on favorite on paper. Inconsistency is what really, really bothers me about the USMNT.

I remember some time ago some talk about how our youth soccer program was poor compared to the way they do it in Europe and Latin America. Has that been addressed? I am not sure if a lot of inner city kids are playing the game or if it's still a "rich kid's" game in the US. At least now kids can look forward to making a career and millions in the MLS, so maybe that will change how the kids look at the game?

There's a huge Latin American kids growing up here and klinnsman and the US program seems to be ignoring them and dumbass Sunil keeps hiring American or European coaches who don't understand us except for Boris. Don't know why they don't hire like you said a Latin coach because at least they understand the mentality of a American players. The LA Galaxy are being really smart with recruiting Latin players and I think that's what is gonna help them stay on top for years until the rest of the league catches up to them.

NoRéN

Dude is more concerned with looking good than helping the team. Just because he gets a few flicks in while playing against some scrub MLS defense doesn't mean it will work out when faced against good international opposition. He does is often like if he's just trying to get someone to make a good GIF.

Surprised no one made a thread for his ability to disappear like they did when he had one flick that amounted to nothing against Turkey.

Askani

Link: http://www.sbisoccer.com/2015/10/preparing-referee-october.html

SBISoccer.com said:
REPORT: MLS PREPARING TO START VIDEO REFEREE TRIAL AT END OF OCTOBER

By SBI SOCCER

Major League Soccer is set to be a testing ground for live video referring.

According to The Times, MLS will make use of a video referee in 10-to-15 non-competitive games at the end of October, with the trial focusing on decisions in three key areas: goals, penalty kicks and red cards. League vice president Jeff Agoos said that the league is a supporter of “using technology to improve the game without disrupting the flow,” and natural stoppages occur during those instances anyway.

“In all those cases, there is a natural stoppage,” Agoos told The Times. “Our findings show there is ample time to give information to the referee. Depending on the incident, there can be from 40 seconds to well over a minute, plenty of time to review a decision.”

“Ultimately, we believe the referee should have as much, if not more, information than the fan who goes to the game,” Agoos added. “At the moment the fan has more on his smartphone. We don’t think that makes sense. The discussion in football, ‘That it’s always been that way,’ doesn’t hold water with us. We are not looking for perfection. It doesn’t exist. There will always be the human element but the game is so fast now that it’s impossible for the officials to keep track.”

FIFA delayed an application by the Dutch Football Association (KNVB) to conduct its own trial of the video referee system, with then-FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke saying: “It’s a question of making the biggest decision ever in the way football is played.”

Agoos confirmed that MLS franchise owners are backing the plan and that implementation into the game could start in 2016 if FIFA allows it.

Top Bottom