• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Arials

Why bring Julian Green to the World Cup and not even call him up to important games like these?

Julian Green has gone backwards since the world cup, you could argue (and I would) that getting too much attention too soon from the US establishment/media hasn't helped his development.

Anybody have the TV ratings for the Mexico v. USA game?

Hopefully the US can wash off some of the stink... but we're already looking shaky on defense...smh

ZZMitch

Matthew Doyle ‏@MLSAnalyst 22m22 minutes ago
"It should be our goal to be more on the creative side & on the possession side"
- Klinsmann, 23 hrs before giving Danny Willians the #10

he's such a dbag lol

Lol he has so many great tweets. I like the one he posted about USMNT vs NYRB in a a best of 5 series. At this point I think Red Bulls would win that series.

kIdMuScLe

Does he still need more time to implement his vision of what the team should be like? I mean he already had 4 years which is not enough I think :-/

Danny Williams should never be allowed to wear a USMNT jersey, let alone #10.

EDIT: Yedlin showcasing the fantastic American creativity in the final third. smh

kIdMuScLe

I'm fucking done with this fucking hack... Goddamn I'm fucking pissed.. I would bet a million dollars on Chicago Fire to beat today USMNT team...

Oozer3993

This is the worst I can ever remember the US looking. I don't remember the 98 World Cup team looking this bad, and they were terrible.

There's just poor off-the-ball movement and positioning in the final third. The US have the off-the-ball movement of a high-school team right now.

EDIT: And that's why Tim Howard is our best keeper. He can save some of the shots he shouldn't to bail us out.

Nesotenso

There's just poor off-the-ball movement and positioning in the final third. The US have the off-the-ball movement of a high-school team right now.

EDIT: And that's why Tim Howard is our best keeper. He can save some of the shots he shouldn't to bail us out.

it is just glaringly bad. The players tend to put their team mates in bad positions to receive the ball with ill timed and badly placed passes. All this contributes to the bad possession stats and constant pressure on the back line. It is frustrating to see the lack of a passing game.

it is just glaringly bad. The players tend to put their team mates in bad positions to receive the ball with ill timed and badly placed passes. All this contributes to the bad possession stats and constant pressure on the back line. It is frustrating to see the lack of a passing game.

Yep. And the receivers often don't open up wide enough on their runs, run at poor angles, or simply don't create enough separation from their defenders. So that's half the problem.

And as you mentioned, other times (or sometimes concurrently), the passer places the pass in 50% areas or against the receivers momentum. It's why we look so disjointed on offense.

This is what we missed when Landon Donavon left. He was one of the few American players who could breakdown the opposing defense by encouraging good movement in the final third and setting up teammates and himself for goal-scoring opportunities. He was a smart player with good game I.Q. unlike our current crop of players who look utterly confused and clueless in the final third.

Whether you're pro or anti-Landon, I don't think anyone really realized just how much US Soccer had been riding the coattails of Donavon for the last 10-12 years, which hid a lot of our deficiencies with the USMNT.

Man, I gotta admit I'm getting a little worried at all this Giovinco news. Unsubstantiated rumours of interest from Barcelona, and a half-dozen clubs wanting a winter loan. He better stay right where he's at.

Someone reassure me!

Esch

Banned
I want anarchy and chaos. If we're gonna suck anyway, might as well make it entertaining.

#JKOutMouIn

If we're gunning for max fuckery, we might as well go with someone who's at least seemed to have a net positive on a national program?

515401d1393715802-marcelo-bielsa-3-3-1-3-work-hard-play-hard-marcelo-bielsa.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I can't believe you guys paid more attention to a meaningless friendly than the playoff game for the Olympic playoff. Get your priorities straight.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
:(

I really don't think TFC would sell him. If they want to win, he's a big part of that.

It's just an awful lot of attention, that's all. Got me all nervous.

I also think Gio likes it where he is, he's said that a few times in interviews. Liking your teammates, playing somewhere you're comfortable, getting consistent time, all that stuff can have a positive influence on a person's game. I don't think he wants to go anywhere.

Yep. And the receivers often don't open up wide enough on their runs, run at poor angles, or simply don't create enough separation from their defenders. So that's half the problem.

And as you mentioned, other times (or sometimes concurrently), the passer places the pass in 50% areas or against the receivers momentum. It's why we look so disjointed on offense.

This is what we missed when Landon Donavon left. He was one of the few American players who could breakdown the opposing defense by encouraging good movement in the final third and setting up teammates and himself for goal-scoring opportunities. He was a smart player with good game I.Q. unlike our current crop of players who look utterly confused and clueless in the final third.

Whether you're pro or anti-Landon, I don't think anyone really realized just how much US Soccer had been riding the coattails of Donavon for the last 10-12 years, which hid a lot of our deficiencies with the USMNT.

Depressing but also fairly honest. I said something along the lines of this when he got the boot from the WC squad, that he was basically the US's security blanket. A guy we could always count on to pull our asses out of the fire. What I said then holds true, we've got to learn to play at that level without him. That said, I don't think it's going to happen unless we have some real consistency in player placement, formation and general strategy going forward. We've needed to build a baseline to construct a team on and that hasn't happened under Klinsmann. We had the start of one with the WC squad, but they were promptly scattered to the wind as soon as the tournament was over. We should have kept calling them up, playing in the diamond, and slowly integrating new players into the team and it's general style. We did none of that, we just called up random people and played them in random positions and used random formations.

I also think Gio likes it where he is, he's said that a few times in interviews. Liking your teammates, playing somewhere you're comfortable, getting consistent time, all that stuff can have a positive influence on a person's game. I don't think he wants to go anywhere.
See, this was the reassurance I needed.

Top Bottom