• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 7 | Now Lucina, now you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drago

Checked my Amazon UK order and Ganondorf is already preparing for dispatch, a whole week early. The other 3 of 5A haven't moved yet for some reason though. Hopefully soon.

And now Ganondorf is back to "Not yet dispatched". Very weird.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So have there been restocks? Big store here in Austria got Ness, Jiggly, Meta, Mac, Lucina and Villager back.

wishdom

Not sure if this was a known fact but all amiibos are apparently hand-painted, which would explains the slow production.

Trihex talked about it in his last stream (he talked with Nintendo employees during NWC).

Hoping whoever paints them isn't put to much pressure on.

Anyone willing to trade a perfect condition NIB MetaKnight for a NIB fox? Shoot me a PM. Also looking for others, but I feel like this is my best bet lol.

In order to get the DK and Bowser amiibo hybrids, are there special starter packs for the Wii / Wii U and 3DS, or does 'any' starter pack for those systems include them? Basically, I'm not finding any specially branded starter bundles and I don't want to preorder incorrect ones. Thanks in advance!

Gameboy415

In order to get the DK and Bowser amiibo hybrids, are there special starter packs for the Wii / Wii U and 3DS, or does 'any' starter pack for those systems include them? Basically, I'm not finding any specially branded starter bundles and I don't want to preorder incorrect ones. Thanks in advance!

Turbo Charge DK & the Barrel Blaster vehicle are included in the Wii U Starter Pack.
Hammer Slam Bowser & the Clown Cruiser vehicle are included in the 3DS or Wii Starter Packs.

Hey, amiibros, I'm glad I can finally participate here on GAF now that my account has been approved! As a quick introduction, I was skeptical of amiibo at first, and resisted the urge to pick them up at launch since I was already spending $100 at launch for the GameCube Smash bundle. But around a week later, after seeing people posting their amiibo here on GAF, I decided to go check them out. Since I could tell that they were much nicer in person than some of the early impressions I remember pre-launch, I knew I had to have the ones for my favorite characters...and then just a few more to finish some series sets...oh, what the hell, I'll just get them all! :)

So I thought I'd share my current collection here (forgive the quality, I don't have a camera other than the one on my phone):

18609_1111172095563296_4769920470823812128_n.jpg

It's not complete, as I was moving earlier this year and missed some because of that, but I'm proud of my collection and am looking forward to continuing to build it and for all the new amiibo due out this fall, even if my wallet isn't! XD

Now, I haven't been to the community thread here in a while, so I was wondering if anyone has heard about what Nintendo is doing regarding Palutena and Dark Pit's release in North America? No updates or preorders from any retailers?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, amiibros, I'm glad I can finally participate here on GAF now that my account has been approved!

Welcome! I'll be your guide throughout the amiibo madness. Make sure you read Best OT and buy all they new amiibo!

zR3sOJp.gif

As for Dark Pit and Palutena, nobody knows. The lack of news or confirmation is pretty standard with amiibo, and I'm beginning to doubt we'll even see them in July.

Welcome! I'll be your guide throughout the amiibo madness. Make sure you read Best OT and buy all they new amiibo!

But how can I use Best OT?

Thanks for the welcome, Diggeh. Shame about the next wave, though I guess no news means I didn't miss them, thankfully. Still, I've got my hands full with the eleven I'm still missing, as well as how I'm possibly going to afford all the ones coming! D8

kirby_fox

Banned

As for Dark Pit and Palutena, nobody knows. The lack of news or confirmation is pretty standard with amiibo, and I'm beginning to doubt we'll even see them in July.

I fully expect a direct either this week or early next, moving probably Ganondorf and ZSS up to July with exclusives announced then too. May even be nailing down dates and exclusivity moving forward.

My guess is Wave 5 then becomes: Dark Pit (Best Buy), Palutena (Target), Zero Suit (GameStop), Ganondorf and Dr. Mario.

Wave 6 will probably get split into 2 waves. 6A coming with Mario Maker: Olimar, Bowser Jr, ROB, Duck Hunt. 6B to come with Skylanders: Mr. G&W, Mii Fighter, Mii Brawler, Mii Gunner. No exclusives, because of the holiday season ramping up.

Then all that's left is Falco and DLC, which probably will be December alongside the Animal Crossing ones. I guess it really depends on how many more characters are coming via DLC and when- I expected a character in August but they dropped 3 on us out of nowhere so it sounds like they're trying to really push for a Ryu figure for Xmas season.

I fully expect a direct either this week or early next, moving probably Ganondorf and ZSS up to July with exclusives announced then too. May even be nailing down dates and exclusivity moving forward.

My guess is Wave 5 then becomes: Dark Pit (Best Buy), Palutena (Target), Zero Suit (GameStop), Ganondorf and Dr. Mario.

Wave 6 will probably get split into 2 waves. 6A coming with Mario Maker: Olimar, Bowser Jr, ROB, Duck Hunt. 6B to come with Skylanders: Mr. G&W, Mii Fighter, Mii Brawler, Mii Gunner. No exclusives, because of the holiday season ramping up.

Then all that's left is Falco and DLC, which probably will be December alongside the Animal Crossing ones. I guess it really depends on how many more characters are coming via DLC and when- I expected a character in August but they dropped 3 on us out of nowhere so it sounds like they're trying to really push for a Ryu figure for Xmas season.

Now, this makes sense, but if there's one thing I've learned about NOA's handling of amiibo, it's that very little they do makes any sense. If they were to do something similar to what you're proposing, it will be with next to no notice and cause chaos for retailers, just like the 2nd of April did.

That's partially why I'm worried that so many more amiibo are coming this holiday season. If they can't improve production to a sustainable level, no one's going to get the amiibo they want, much less be able to get one of everything for those of us out there going for a full collection.

Here's hoping you're right about NOA wanting to split up the current September Smash amiibo, because if they can't see how launching 11 Smash amiibo (13 with Super Mario Maker, 17 with the Skylanders figures) in one month could possibly go wrong, then I'll have to accept that getting these figures is never going to be easy with their management in place.

kirby_fox

Banned
Now, this makes sense, but if there's one thing I've learned about NOA's handling of amiibo, it's that very little they do makes any sense. If they were to do something similar to what you're proposing, it will be with next to no notice and cause chaos for retailers, just like the 2nd of April did.

That's partially why I'm worried that so many more amiibo are coming this holiday season. If they can't improve production to a sustainable level, no one's going to get the amiibo they want, much less be able to get one of everything for those of us out there going for a full collection.

Here's hoping you're right about NOA wanting to split up the current September Smash amiibo, because if they can't see how launching 11 Smash amiibo (13 with Super Mario Maker, 17 with the Skylanders figures) in one month could possibly go wrong, then I'll have to accept that getting these figures is never going to be easy with their management in place.

Who said anything about it being easy?

That's still 20-28 amiibo in 4 months if you don't move 3 up to next month. The only thing I can think of for why they are waiting so long is in order to create enough stock for demand compared to Europe and Japan. But they also don't have shelf space for 20-28 amiibo plus what's already in retail, so that would mean some are going to be very hard to find no matter what.

My expectations weren't for it being easy, but for it to make sense shipping-wise and shelf space wise. Unless they're currently making just a TON of these figures right now for September release with the idea of still selling through the stock due to demand...we're still in for a rough ride.

Ryu, Lucas and Roy are confirmed for 2016.

Did they confirm that? I only recall them saying it was coming.

kirby_fox

Banned
I can't find the tweet but NoA silently confirmed it.

Please post it if you find it. I can't seem to find anything from searching.

I would think a Ryu figure just in time for Xmas would make sense for sales. They would sell out as a Xmas present I bet even if they made 3 million of Ryu alone.

Edit: Interesting. I wonder if that tweet was pulled.

Who said anything about it being easy?

That's still 20-28 amiibo in 4 months if you don't move 3 up to next month. The only thing I can think of for why they are waiting so long is in order to create enough stock for demand compared to Europe and Japan. But they also don't have shelf space for 20-28 amiibo plus what's already in retail, so that would mean some are going to be very hard to find no matter what.

My expectations weren't for it being easy, but for it to make sense shipping-wise and shelf space wise. Unless they're currently making just a TON of these figures right now for September release with the idea of still selling through the stock due to demand...we're still in for a rough ride.

Well, I never expected it to be a walk in the park, no, but at launch their biggest issue was a combination of port strikes that slowed distribution as well as not having enough ready to manufacture to meet the initial demand, at least in North America. But even if both of those issues have since leveled off somewhat, the increased interest due to how hard it's been to obtain them has brought so many people out of the woodwork who've seen the opportunity to make a quick buck through scalping that I don't see any feasible way for Nintendo to produce enough amiibo quickly enough to satisfy anyone this holiday season, more so because they have such limited shelf space to work with.

I had hoped over time this hobby would slowly get easier as Nintendo increased their manufacturing capacity, amiibo gained more shelf space do to sustained interest, and that as figures became easier to find, scalpers would lose interest because their profit margins would decrease to the point of no longer making it viable. Sadly, I don't think there's any chance of that happening anymore, and in the end it's us, the collectors and fans, who suffer for it.

seems like I can't find ANY of the newest wave in stores around here.

I've pretty much given up on ever seeing anything but mario and pikachu in any store but at least in the last wave Mega Man and Sonic were easy to get.

I thought pac man would be the one to show up everywhere but so far i've never seen any of the new ones or any splatoon amiibo in any store i've been in, best buy, walmart, gamestop, target, etc.

I've pretty much given up on ever seeing anything but mario and pikachu in any store but at least in the last wave Mega Man and Sonic were easy to get.

I thought pac man would be the one to show up everywhere but so far i've never seen any of the new ones or any splatoon amiibo in any store i've been in, best buy, walmart, gamestop, target, etc.

This has been my experience as well. I thought I'd at least be able to find Wario in stores, but nothing from Wave 4 has been present at all. Thank goodness I managed to snag Pac-Man and Charizard with Ness and the Splatoon 3-Pack back on April 2nd, but I fear this may become a trend going forward: no preorder and not first in line at launch? You'll never see them on shelves again...unless their from Mario, Zelda, or maybe Pokémon.

A little off topic, but I thought I'd ask since I have the community here, has anyone had to move with amiibo out of their packaging? Last time I moved they were all sealed, but it looks like I might be moving again in a couple of months. Any ideas for how I can keep them safe and preferably with swords and other delicate parts straight? I no longer have their original packaging; I didn't have room to keep them.

A little off topic, but I thought I'd ask since I have the community here, has anyone had to move with amiibo out of their packaging? Last time I moved they were all sealed, but it looks like I might be moving again in a couple of months. Any ideas for how I can keep them safe and preferably with swords and other delicate parts straight? I no longer have their original packaging; I didn't have room to keep them.

Maybe you could buy this amiibo case. It's usually 30$ but currently on sale for 10 and it's well worth it, I have two currently and it keeps them pretty secure, I plan on buying a third before too long.

EDIT:

A little OT but does anyone have a recommendation for an external HD for Wii U? I'm in desperate need of space and would like to buy one current Wii U owners can vouch for.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Bubble wrap + box. Wrap them all individually because trust me, having them all together can create paint rubs :( I had it happen already (and still need to clean them...)

Maybe you could buy this amiibo case. It's usually 30$ but currently on sale for 10 and it's well worth it, I have two currently and it keeps them pretty secure, I plan on buying a third before too long.

Ooh, those look very nice, and for only $10 is a steal. The only trouble is, I currently have 37 amiibo, so it would cost me $70 minimum to store them all, and I don't really have that kind of money to spare at the moment. Still, I'll keep an eye on them, thanks for the link.

EDIT: Obviously I can't read, looks like they hold 12 amiibo, not six, so I'd only need 4 for $40. I think I can do that. :)

Bubble wrap + box. Wrap them all individually because trust me, having them all together can create paint rubs :( I had it happen already (and still need to clean them...)

I had thought about doing this in addition to using those dividers you sometimes see when people transport ceramic mugs, but I wasn't sure how well those would work considering the differences in size between all my figures. Still, thanks for the notice on the paint rubs. I spend a long time looking at multiple versions of the same amiibo in the stores to get the best paint jobs (like my Samus, whose paint is immaculate), so I'll be sure to be careful not to ruin those qualities.

well amiibo gaf i finally broke down and decided to go for a complete smash collection so i ordered the last 5 amiibo i needed.... These amiibo are killing me slowly :(

kirby_fox

Banned

I still have an extra Charizard and Pacman if interested. Meant to take them back to Walmart but have yet to do so because of time constraints, a bit of laziness and hating going into an actual Walmart around here because a 5 minute thing turns into 40 minutes here.

Velcro Fly

Palutena/Ganondorf/Rosalina on their way from Japan

Ness should be shipping from PlayAsia soon

Also have a Dark Pit that I should probably just pay to ship to me already and be done with it.

Gameboy415

EDIT:

A little OT but does anyone have a recommendation for an external HD for Wii U? I'm in desperate need of space and would like to buy one current Wii U owners can vouch for.

I'm using a 500GB Seagate Backup+ External HDD I grabbed for ~$48 on clearance at Target with a cheap Y cable from Amazon (this one, specifically).
It's been working great for me thus far! :)

Here's a link to Nintendo's External HDD FAQ (including a list of recommended drives) if you want to check out some other options:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/la...general_info&submenu=wup-external-usb-devices

I went to send a super-awesome shout-out to Sallokin!

Last Sunday, he posted that he had an extra Palutena and Ganondorf. I PMed him to see if he would take $40 for them, thinking that it was a shot in the dark and my offer would probably be less than what he actually paid for them.

It turns out that he is in Japan, so he only paid around $12 each for them. Well... not only did he say he would take $25 for both of them, but that he would SHIP THEM FROM JAPAN for that much! Plus, I got them TODAY! So, in the end, I got two amiibo way before they come out here, I paid LESS than retail, aaand I don't have to worry about tracking down Palutena and Dark Pit on the same day!

THANK YOU SALLOKIN! A certified Amiibro!

I went to send a super-awesome shout-out to Sallokin!

Last Sunday, he posted that he had an extra Palutena and Ganondorf. I PMed him to see if he would take $40 for them, thinking that it was a shot in the dark and my offer would probably be less than what he actually paid for them.

It turns out that he is in Japan, so he only paid around $12 each for them. Well... not only did he say he would take $25 for both of them, but that he would SHIP THEM FROM JAPAN for that much! Plus, I got them TODAY! So, in the end, I got two amiibo way before they come out here, I paid LESS than retail, aaand I don't have to worry about tracking down Palutena and Dark Pit on the same day!

THANK YOU SALLOKIN! A certified Amiibro!
now thats an amiibro.

Maengun1

I received a Japanese Pit as a gift from a friend today! He looks amazing. This makes wave 2 the only Smash Bros. wave that I actually have all of.

The funny thing is, I was planning on passing on Palutena and Dark Pit because I didn't even have normal Pit....but now...

Adamator

Could you name me a few good import sites for amiibo wave 5a that may still have some stock? Or are they all but gone now?

I know play-asia, but that's it, really.

Thank you.

Marvie_3

Banned
4QT42Rl.jpg

My gf surprised me today with this awesome custom she made. :D

I guess she didn't want to wait for the actual yarn yoshis to come out. :lol

How do you guys store your Amiibo? I can't put them up for display right now been of space.

I'm looking at this Best Buy case for 12 Amiibo which is $10 this week.

Is there a solution to store more that's cheaper?

I recommend that case actually, I have two and plan on picking up a third. That's the only way I store mine as of right now.

In other news, my Ganondorf amiibo shipped, now I play the waiting game for my Yarn Yoshi.

willizle02

Neo Member
Wait, seriously? I don't remember then ever going up.

EDIT: Yeah, I can't find anything on them ever going up on Amazon.co.jp. There aren't even any product pages for Wave 5B on Amazon.co.jp.

They take em down after they fill all the new orders, I don't know why.
I can guarantee you that they were up a couple times though, I missed the first time by minutes, and second time I got the full order in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom