• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 7 | Now Lucina, now you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely forgot that Palutena was going up today only to see that she's still in stock almost an hour after going up and I was actually able to order one. After all these months of amiibo hunting this is a pretty strange feeling.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I wish there was a way to pick up Amazon orders if there is a local warehouse nearby. Beats waiting for shipping and fear of ruined/stolen packages. Seriously, they should make it an option.

LiK

I wish there was a way to pick up Amazon orders if there is a local warehouse nearby. Beats waiting for shipping and fear of ruined/stolen packages. Seriously, they should make it an option.

local warehouses for pick-up only exist in a few cities sadly.

Thoraxes

40 minutes so far. I wonder if Amazon greatly overestimated the rate she'd sell, or if they intentionally gave the much smaller 15 minute window while internally expecting it to take longer, just to be safe in case demand outstripped expectations.

Limiting the scalpers really helped here.

prateeko

it's far more likely that given it wasn't a huge wave that NoA actually just managed to give amazon a reasonable amount of amiibos to sell.

I think the ports opening up have made a big difference. It's probably why we saw Ness trickling back after a relatively recent reprint. I also think Nintendo has been making more and lastly, by pretty much stopping pre-orders everywhere it makes stock sold = stock available and so it all is released at one point and then lasts longer whereas previously stock had to be diverted away from launches because retailers had preorders to fulfill.

Enforcer

Seeing a bunch of names I've never seen post in the thread exclaiming "GOT ONE!":

W0aFnCg.png

GOT ONE! ;D

prateeko

Damn, check the sold listings. Several have gone for $35 so far.

I don't even feel bad for those people. Like, come on. Is it that hard to search Amazon?

I literally came here to say this because I decided to joking check the sold listings. These are ones that literally sold just now and say it's new US versions.

If you're so stupid you can't open another tab and get it direct for 1/2 to 1/3 you honestly deserve to have your money taken from you.

rjinaz

So with this limitation of 1 per account, does that mean I can't ever buy another Palutena from Amazon at retail?

The way it typically works is once the item has been shipped to you, you can order another one. Basically, if this comes in stock again later, you shouldn't be limited. This is an exclusive so in theory they could handle it differently but I'm guessing they won't.

kewlmyc

Got Palutena. First amiibo bought in a few months (last was Shulk). Might try and get Dark Pit to balance out the collection. Hopefully no one on my ghetto side of town cares enough about Amiibo to wait in line for one and I can just walk into the store when it opens and buy one.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Got Palutena. First amiibo bought in a few months (last was Shulk). Might try and get Dark Pit to balance out the collection. Hopefully no one on my ghetto side of town cares enough about Amiibo to wait in line for one and I can just walk into the store when it opens and buy one.

Grats Kewl! Good to see you in AmiiboGAF. :)

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Missed talkin to ya, Diggeh. :p

Is everyone here planning on getting all the cards as well?

I run a bunch of cool communities. You know where to find me!

I'll probably get a few cards. I need my main cool cat Bob.

I honestly didn't think I would manage to get Palutena after previous incidents where initial store exclusive stocks would sell out fast, but thankfully I managed. Now Bowser will finally have a fellow amiibo figure standing next to him; astonishingly it's been 3 months since I bought him, and it was my only amiibo purchase so far and the only other figures I got standing next to him are my Disney Infinity Elsa figure, my Asura, Sagat, and Servbot Bobble Buds, and my Pokemon HG/SS Luigi figure.

Official "Exclusive Retailer" tier list:

God-tier: Amazon
Top-Tier: Target
Mid-Tier: Toys R Us
Bottom-Tier: Gamestop
BWAHAHAHAHAHA Tier: Best Buy

Not exactly 100% accurate, but the irony on the Amazon entry!

I get pretty salty whenever I see hanging signs advertising the Rosalina amiibo at Target, only to still see that there aren't any Rosalina figures on the store shelf.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
i think oversaturation in the secondary market is killing themselves. while i still don't like the $25+ prices, at least it's gone way down.

Secondary market kinda shot themselves in the foot with this and I love it.

I just got home and forgot that today was Palutena day, nooooooooooooooooooo

How did you forget!?!?! I'm betting you can find one in the trade thread! I hope!

Josh5890

I was able to grab on on Amazon at 4:07. Now it is just about waiting for next Friday. Supposedly my store is getting 40 Dark Pits

prateeko

I was able to grab on on Amazon at 4:07. Now it is just about waiting for next Friday. Supposedly my store is getting 40 Dark Pits
How do we find out how many Dark Pits a store is getting. There are a few close to me and I'd rather go where there's max chance of success.

Josh5890

How do we find out how many Dark Pits a store is getting. There are a few close to me and I'd rather go where there's max chance of success.

There was a Best Buy worker on Reddit a couple days ago that gave me my info. Granted that isn't guarenteed by any means but hopefully it is a good indicator. I plan on getting to Best Buy a couple hours early regardless.

kirby_fox

Banned
Managed to snag one with a minute of break left...now I'm curious if anyone knows if I can add items to get free shipping. Didn't really have a lot of time :-

Maengun1

Managed to snag one with a minute of break left...now I'm curious if anyone knows if I can add items to get free shipping. Didn't really have a lot of time :-

If you place another order to get up to $35 including the previous amiibo, you can start a customer service chat and they'll probably combine them for you to lose the shipping fee. Just dont cancel Palutena accidentally!

I also don't have Prime, but I put a couple things I needed into my basket ahead of time :D. I've had the customer service reps alter my shipping groups before though with no hassle.

I don't think you can definitively rank the exclusives. Amazon aside they've all had their ups and downs. Ness had a bad start with all the server issues, but Shulk was pretty great. Weeks of pre-orders and the large window for the second shipment both online and in-store. Rosalina was terrible online, but in-store both Rosalina and Jigglypuff were fine, and Jigglypuff got a lot of time online after launch. TRU has gotten the most in-store numbers by far, but there's few of them, Lucario was horrendous as far as pre-orders went, and Greninja had some cancellations. Walmart was fairly good with Gold Mario, not spectacular, not bad.

Best Buy's definitely still at the bottom for now though. Meta Knight sucked. But maybe Dark Pit will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom