• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 7 | Now Lucina, now you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to best buy 90 minutes early. Saw the line. Stopped in the parking lot and ordered an import. The extra $10 was better than waiting an hour and a half and still risking missing out.

Arthos

Ended up getting mine. We had about 60+ people in line and only 41 got it or so. I don't even like Dark Pit but it does look cool, so I might just keep it.

The Best Buy was in Doral, Florida.

1up

From /r/amiibo

According to our confidential sources:
  • GameStop's 8/8 event will be amiibo related.
  • GameStop will indeed be getting a 3-Pack!
  • The 3-Pack will be a GameStop exclusive. (Not the individuals)
  • The 3-Pack will be a Retro Pack featuring R.O.B., Duck Hunt, and Mr. Game & Watch.
  • Each store will have approximately 30 available for preorder.
  • Preorders will be the traditional "head in store and put $5 down" style and NOT utilize Web In Store.
  • If a location allows more than their allocated preorders, the customer will simply not receive their pre-order. No exceptions.
  • As of now, the 3-pack is the only pre-order officially announced internally for the 8/8 event.
  • As a side effect, GameStop most likely not be reeciving individuals of R.O.B., Duck Hunt, or Mr. Game & Watch.
  • There is a rumor that Pro members will be allowed in to stores an hour early. I am unable to confirm this at this time.

Nighteater

Neo Member
Got my pitoo, each of the four checkouts had a box of pits. So more than enough stock at this best buy. Oh yea and the family at the front each got a pitoo >_>

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
From /r/amiibo

• The 3-Pack will be a Retro Pack featuring R.O.B., Duck Hunt, and Mr. Game & Watch.
  • Preorders will be the traditional "head in store and put $5 down" style and NOT utilize Web In Store.
  • If a location allows more than their allocated preorders, the customer will simply not receive their pre-order. No exceptions.
  • As of now, the 3-pack is the only pre-order officially announced internally for the 8/8 event.
  • As a side effect, GameStop most likely not be reeciving individuals of R.O.B., Duck Hunt, or Mr. Game & Watch.
  • There is a rumor that Pro members will be allowed in to stores an hour early. I am unable to confirm this at this time.

Oh shoot! I won't be around that day but this is more likely something that I will be able to figure out a way to get it too. Super crazy if true!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh snap, the 3 that I was mainly wanting in the next wave. So from what it sounds like, pre-orders start on THAT day?

I also wonder if this means they won't get an exclusive this time & instead just get an exclusive bundle of 3 characters that'll be easier for some people to get.

Piscus

From /r/amiibo

8/8 event?

Ridley327

From /r/amiibo

So, an exclusive three-pack of those characters, but they'll be sold on their own at other retailers? Not a bad plan.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Actually, any word on the pricing (i.e $30 instead of $40ish) & if the 3-pack will have its own unique packaging, i.e. one long box like with the Splatoon pack?

bumpkin

From /r/amiibo

On 8/8? Fuuuuuuuuuuck. I'm not going to be home/in-town that day.

Velcro Fly

Man that 3 pack sounds good. Depending how I feel in a week I might head down there.

That would be pretty much all the september smash ones for me I think other than the mii fighters.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Got what seems to be the last Dark Pit at this BB near me. Almost fucked up cause I went to Toys R Us when they opened thinking he was to show up there, and when I finally realized it was at BB, they open an hour earlier than Toys R Us so I had to rush there to see of any were left.

Clerk told me they got in 50 and limited 1 per customer

My Best Buy experience was pretty good. Only about 5 other regulars that i see at all of these things, seems to me that a lot of the other people are college people away until the Fall semester.

They didn't disclose how many they got, but everyone that wanted one got one, even about half an hour afterwards. Just a good experience overall.

And with that Gamestop event next Saturday, I'm not too worried. There's plenty of stores and I've had no problems with any of them (outside of that nationwide preorder fiasco). Looks like I need to gear up then. These 3 in the pack are what I wanted the most from the get-go.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmm, I'm gonna be heading out of town that day, but I think I can make it work so I can swing by beforehand.

I actually welcome the idea of store-exclusive bundles as long as they're sold separately at other stores. Helps even more I can earn credit for GameStop to bring the cost down.

skaflone721

Neo Member
I had seen the lines for my local BBs at 7:30 and it had already reached the 22 allocated. Decided to not call in sick and went into work.

Really pissed I missed this since that's the last NA I need, and all ruined by such shitty stock in the area. Wondering what BB was expecting with such low stocks here and almost tripple in other places.

Anyway, any experiences at any BBs in LI and NYC? Did everyone get? How long did you wait it line? Any sightings of it being still available? Might take a huuuuuug lunch break if I have to and drive over.

Also, how are the lines at NWS? What's the turn around time to get in and out?

goldenpp72

Just got back from my line. It overall went pretty smooth, oddly one lady came in line at the start of 10am and she got the very last ticket (and made that very clear)

So anyone who got there before 10, got a figure. I did wait a few hours just in case but it wasn't too bad, dead tired though. I will say that interacting with other Amiibo 'fans' can be quite annoying, a lot of them don't know where the characters are from or who they are, or don't seem to even care about what it is. Just that it's a toy of value and something to be a part of. Makes me feel like i'm one of the only ones who wanted these figures from the start (which is why I own all of wave 1/2 via preorder with no isssues :/)

Taichu

Went to BB at opening, picked up a Dark Pit amiibo off the rack. Six were left after that... Very happy to have Pit, Palutena, and now Dark Pit!

Velcro Fly

Damn I didn't see the part about 30 per store.

Well I've been up at 5am every day for the past week while sick and even today while feeling better I woke up and it was 5:00 on the nose. I suppose I could try depending on what time it is. If not I can always just import.

Decided to run to BB instead of eating lunch... store sold out tickets at 9am. Now no pitoo or lunch... fantastic.

If someone wants to help an amiibro out let me know.

From /r/amiibo

If that's true I'm just importing G&W. I'm not messing with that garbage.

prateeko

Good old Best Buy. Stapled a ticket to every single Dark Pit box.

LOL, that's next level shit right there.

I went to a different one cuz I needed to swing by Costo to get gas. It was more packed than I anticipated and the crew had some regulars who talked about a guy who would just show up and dash to the front as the store opened claiming to be first and people kept letting him get by.

Needless to say I won't be returning to that location.

I can't believe Dark Pit is going to be the amiibo that is going to cause me to start importing.

I don't want to spend more money...

Maybe I'm just done.

Nori Chan

Best buy in Cerritos California let us in at 930. Leggooo. Got mine after being the 30th person in line. They had about 40 something on it.

LiK

I can't believe Dark Pit is going to be the amiibo that is going to cause me to start importing.

Maybe I'm just done.

Importing isn't even that expensive. Better than wasting your day in line and missing lunch!

I love third shift. Work Friday night, stake out GameStop Saturday morning. I need duplicate Duck Hunt and ROB, I might as well grab G&W to display too.

Good old Best Buy. Stapled a ticket to every single Dark Pit box.

Wow, damn. Sorry. My store used easily-removed masking tape with a sharpie number.

TheGrue

My thoughts are with you, Amiibros. Feels good that my Japanese Dark Pit got delivered yesterday and I didn't have to go to Best Buy (especially, since I had to be on site at a customer before Best Buy even opens). Not sure what the Amiibo situation would be in Orange County, where I've traveled to for work. I guess they open in about 7 minutes.

First Best Buy I went to had 31. I was fifth in line, 25 people by the time doors opened. Got one and then went to the second Best Buy, which had 55 and only 15 in line.

JavyOO7

Best Buy in Hialeah Gardens, FL... got there at 9:10AM. 27 people or so in front of me. 30 minutes later, staff lets a few people at a time get Dark Pitt A family of four got four Dark Pits...

I got mine not long after. Friends told me that Dadeland Mall BB is sold out, as well as the one in Bird Road and the BB in 88th St and 120th Ave. The BB in Doral near Dolphin Mall sold out when I got there.

Probably sold out across the country by the end of tonight.

Maybe I'm just done.
Just do it for the ones you really want, I did it for a couple, no fuss, no worries, and it's not a really massive premium if you're patient.

RPG

Walked into BB 45 minutes after open. They had the remaining 8 or so Dark Pit amiibo sitting front and center at the store. Clerk said they had about 28 people waiting at open. Overall took me about 10 minutes in total including my drive.

Importing isn't even that expensive. Better than wasting your day in line and missing lunch!

If it costs over $20 it's too expensive. I've been getting NA for $10 with GCU minus exclusives. Really just Ness and Shulk I paid full price. Coupons with TRU and REDCard with Target.

Everybody I've gotten a hold of wants $40-50 for Dark Pit and I'm just like Fu that.

bumpkin

If it costs over $20 it's too expensive. I've been getting NA for $10 with GCU minus exclusives. Really just Ness and Shulk I paid full price. Coupons with TRU and REDCard with Target.

Everybody I've gotten a hold of wants $40-50 for Dark Pit and I'm just like Fu that.
When you get 'em on Amazon JP -- their preorder not resellers' -- they come out to $10 and change. It costed me around $16 for expedited shipping (using Tenso) on two amiibo, so that breaks down to about $18 each. I'd much rather spend the extra than waste my time standing in line. To each their own though.

Velcro Fly

The 1,296 yen I pay per amiibo has been roughly $10.60-$10.80 every time. If I order enough, the shipping per is only about $5 or $6

I mean if you only order one and get it shipped from a forwarding service it's definitely going to be like $20+.

I have the three yarn yoshi and Dr. Mario/Olimar/Bowser Jr. coming and I'll probably be paying less than $100 for all of them shipped.

It's definitely a last resort for some but I have no interest in standing outside a store before it opens.

When you get 'em on Amazon JP -- their preorder not resellers' -- they come out to $10 and change. It costed me around $16 for expedited shipping (using Tenso) on two amiibo, so that breaks down to about $18 each. I'd much rather spend the extra than waste my time standing in line. To each their own though.

Teach me to Tenso sensei.

Why are people talking about GameStop this Saturday? Did I miss something? Or is it next Sat 8/8?

Edit: Ah yes so next weekend. The 8/8 event has not been confirmed to employees yet for content or anything else except that there is an event. Only thing I can confirm also is this :" There is a rumor that Pro members will be allowed in to stores an hour early. I am unable to confirm this at this time." <- is true.

bumpkin

Teach me to Tenso sensei.
Go to Tenso.com, register for free and then you have to send them some documents to verify your address; I scanned my drivers license. Once you do that, they give you an address in Japan -- their sorting facility -- and that's what you ship your Amazon JP orders to. They email you when they get packages of yours and you log in and ship them (and pay for the shipping). It's wicked easy.

They also let you consolidate multiple packages into one if you want to wait for other orders before shipping. It'll save you some money.

VICI0US

we have 2 best buys, both got 55.

I got there maybe 40 minutes early and found they were doing tickets. I was #31. quite a few more people showed up before opening, I'd say they easily sold out stock with just the people waiting for them to open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom