• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 7 | Now Lucina, now you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Stubbs

Just called my local Gamestop and they'll be doing around 30 pre orders. I can probably show up a half hour early and get one no problem. Like last week I waited a half hour in line for Dark Pit and there was only five of us by the time they opened. I expect around the same turnout for this. Helps there's two Gamestops in my town so that should thin the crowds too.

Drago

Think I'm just gonna stick with my Amazon DE preorders for wave 6. I'll be paying a bit more but I won't have to bother getting up and going out before work to get them tomorrow, and I'll be getting the Miis 2 months early with them. If the retro 3 pack was coming out on the 11th like everyone else I might have been more tempted to go out, but they got delayed to the EU release date on the 25th for whatever reason so whatever. No huge deal.

Still waiting on Chibi Robo bundle preorders :(

Hey guys, quick question about something I'm not sure of...

Are Duck Hunt, Mr. Game & Watch, and R.O.B. exclusive to the 3-pack in North America? I've got some amiibo-hunting friends who say they're sure they will be sold separately at retailers other than GameStop, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the case (sadly).

Am I correct in thinking that the only way for Americans to get Duck Hunt, Mr. Game & Watch, and/or R.O.B. without importing is to get the 3-pack?

Thanks!

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, quick question about something I'm not sure of...

Are Duck Hunt, Mr. Game & Watch, and R.O.B. exclusive to the 3-pack in North America? I've got some amiibo-hunting friends who say they're sure they will be sold separately at retailers other than GameStop, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the case (sadly).

Am I correct in thinking that the only way for Americans to get Duck Hunt, Mr. Game & Watch, and/or R.O.B. without importing is to get the 3-pack?

Thanks!

3-pack only AND GameStop exclusive. Yet another way for NoA to mess with NA collecters.

What the fuck Boston x MA gamestops , no one would tell me the amount they will have for the 3 packs and when I asked if they would have it posted outside their door they said "we don't know yet"

So dumb :/ I don't have time to play these baby games , just tell me so I can plan where I'm camping

3-pack only AND GameStop exclusive. Yet another way for NoA to mess with NA collecters.

Ugh... yeah, I thought so.

I don't know... I can see where it makes business sense for NoA not to release those three characters separately since they're really niche and not exactly popular outside of hardcore Nintendo fans. Then again, the same could easily be said about Palutena, Dark Pit, Ike, Robin, and Lucina, and those have all sold very well (as far as we know).

Yeah, North America has definitely turned out to be the worst region to live in by far if you're interested in amiibo. I guess NoA having their shit together for the Palutena launch was a one-time deal. :(

Think I'm just gonna stick with my Amazon DE preorders for wave 6. I'll be paying a bit more but I won't have to bother getting up and going out before work to get them tomorrow, and I'll be getting the Miis 2 months early with them. If the retro 3 pack was coming out on the 11th like everyone else I might have been more tempted to go out, but they got delayed to the EU release date on the 25th for whatever reason so whatever. No huge deal.

Still waiting on Chibi Robo bundle preorders :(

Amazon.ca but not sure if they ship to US

All of my nearest GameStops couldn't confirm an actual number but all said they would be doing over 30. There's at least three of them I could go to in the morning so I'll head out around 8 (if not a tad bit sooner) and see which one has the shorter line.

Good luck fellow NA hunters!

G0523

Went to my GameStop this morning and the employee there was on the phone with someone who was asking about amiibo. She pretty much answered any questions I had. But when I mentioned the Ness pre-order fiasco she put her head down and was recalling the bad memories from that day. It seems like that gave GameStop employees PTSD.

She did say though that she's really happy that this time it's just a regular in-store pre-order and that they're going to have 40 available. She also said that the 48 hours rule still applies (where you need to pick up the amiibo within 48 hours of it being released otherwise it will get sold to someone else), and she suggested that I put down the full amount instead of just $5 so that they'll definitely get it in. I might do that just to get it out of the way (plus I just got paid today). I'll see how things are tomorrow morning at 8am though.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I know it's a long shot but I'm only interested in getting ROB in the retro pack. If anyone doesn't want him and gets a preorder tomorrow I have a few spare guys for trade or I could buy it off you.

Megatron

da fuq? 40-50? 60?

I guarantee half of these pre-orders won't be fulfilled on release day. Dedede/Ike 2.0

No, I guarantee they will. You are forgetting Ike and dedede sold through tons of different stores, both online and offline. These will only be sold through one store offline.

No, I guarantee they will. You are forgetting Ike and dedede sold through tons of different stores, both online and offline. These will only be sold through one store offline.

Even still. They said before stores were getting at least 30. That alone put the first North American shipment at around 150,000, which is already a pretty insane number. On average each amiibo character has sold around 185,000 total in North America (based off of the total number of amiibos sold, and the latest released regional breakdowns), and you have to remember most characters have gotten at least two shipments so far, and many have had several more like Link and Mario.

But now it seems like most stores are getting 40, and many more are getting well more than that. I just don't see how, of all things, a three-pack of niche characters is going to have such a gigantic initial shipment - one that seems on track to dwarf life-to-date shipments for the majority of characters.

Tbh I'd still go pick up the actual 3 pack amiibo right at opening x that morning, wouldn't be surprised if they under shipped this one

I just drove by this gamestop in my old neighborhood and it says 80 total, the flood is here

o_O

kirby_fox

Banned
Even still. They said before stores were getting at least 30. That alone put the first North American shipment at around 150,000, which is already a pretty insane number. On average each amiibo character has sold around 185,000 total in North America (based off of the total number of amiibos sold, and the latest released regional breakdowns), and you have to remember most characters have gotten at least two shipments so far, and many have had several more like Link and Mario.

But now it seems like most stores are getting 40, and many more are getting well more than that. I just don't see how, of all things, a three-pack of niche characters is going to have such a gigantic initial shipment - one that seems on track to dwarf life-to-date shipments for the majority of characters.

They realize demand is high for the niche characters. I would guess the 3 pack is likely even a deterrent to create less demand since people are importing.

The 3 in the pack don't seem to have a lot of parts either, so production was probably faster and easier than ones like Dedede and the FE characters.

Checked the GS I'm going to tomorrow and their sign says they'll have 48. I think I can rest easy now, but I'm still going an hour early. In all of the Amiibo day releases, I don't think I saw even half of that number line up, and there's at least one other GS close to the one I'm going to.

Chucker

Wife didn't go into labor, which means I get to try my hand tomorrow morning.

There are 3 shops within a 2 mile radius, and 2 more withing 10 miles of me. I should be fine.

NWS has a ton of Robin, Lucina and Dedede... Madness.

That was the first time they had a restock with no tweets or advance warnings

I wonder if they will have any restocks when I go to New York in two weeks

I'll bring my mom and dad to get two each along with my bro and I
See , if you have a family and live around NWS you can have more amiibos then people that started collecting months ago

When is the holiday flood coming

Drago

Amazon.ca but not sure if they ship to US
They don't unfortunately.

I have a standalone figure preordered on Amazon JP so I'm not worried about getting the amiibo, but I do want to play the game and getting the bundle would be the best way to get everything. Dunno what's taking so long.

InkoMint

Neo Member
You sure there's nothing you need that you would trade for it?

We are currently only looking for a villager (open or not but the repainted one!) Or an Olimar (opened or not, just so we don't have to deal with him for NA release!)

I don't know if either are fair or not, if not you're first!

NA version? I could use her.
If Piscus doesn't want, she's all yours! I'll send pictures so you can decide!

Edit: I forgot, Hubby would love a Kirby and Samus (in/out of box!) I guess this may be trade deal too after all... Sorry!

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
So once again, what time does Gamestop open the store for preorders of the 3pack?

According to the email from GameStop it is one hour early from when YOUR store opens. not all GameStop times are created equal. For instance mine opens at 11 normally so it will be 10

Maengun1

Hmm, I called my local GS this morning and they said they were opening at 10am as usual tomorrow, not early. I'm probably going to arrive at least an hour early anyway, they've been wrong/shady in the past (when they restocked the Majora's Mask 3DS, I called to inquire and they told me the shipment wouldn't arrive until 1-2 pm and to show up then, I went right when they opened at 10am and got the last one, ha).

I'm not really expecting them to sell out or for there to be much of a line at my store, but why risk it.

Thoraxes

Man, can't fucking wait for time to elapse now.

My store is getting 45. At BB for DP, there were about that many waiting when I got there late, so I should be good considering i'm gonna leave at 6AM for the 9AM opening lol.

Gonna get some quality Xenoblade time in.

Toki767

My store. I guess I can swing by later than expected.

CL3tkdPUMAAo-Os.jpg

HUELEN10

You almost make me want to go out now instead of waiting 2 hours. I was gonna go 3 hours before.
Go for it. After all, there are about 6K GameStops right? That's a 1 in 6K chance to eat some pizza and play Style Savvy and Smash with a certain someone.

Seriously though, it's up to you. I was surprised there were people before even me!

Thoraxes

Go for it. After all, there are about 6K GameStops right? That's a 1 in 6K chance to eat some pizza and play Style Savvy and Smash with a certain someone.

Seriously though, it's up to you. I was surprised there were people before even me!

I'll leave after this FFXIV dungeon! You've convinced me to go early!

Animekatt

I'll leave after this FFXIV dungeon! You've convinced me to go early!

Which dungeon were you doing? Also I just arrived at my GS. They have 59 for preorders. I'm also 6th in line lol. I figured I'll just come earlier since I want to preorder then go to work.

mantis23

I have several gamestops within a mile or two from me so I decided to check out the situation at each this morning.

GameStop #1: nobody in line. 38 preorders
GameStop #2: 3 empty chairs, nobody in sight. 38 preorders.
GameStop #3: 4 people, 48 preorders.

I think I like my chances.

GameStop #1, 1am - 2 dudes and a pizza
GameStop #1, 6:45am - same 2 dudes, 47 preorders
GameStop #2, 7am - ghost town, 46 preorders

5 GameStops along a 20 mile route. I think I'll be okay.

prateeko

Got to my GS 55 min early and was number 5 in line. It's been ten minutes and four more people showed up. Manager came out and gave everyone numbered tickets. Time to micro

EDIT: It's a busy/high traffic store where they've had developers for launches before so the rest of us should be fine.

nubcake

Neo Member
7th in line, 64 available. If nothing else, amiibos have taught me the very important life lesson of always being absurdly early just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom