• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 7 | Now Lucina, now you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I got here 90 minutes before open. I was #15 in line. Another 15-20 behind me, and a huge stack of cards left after that. Kind of wish I slept later but I am mostly just happy I have it locked in.

Animekatt

All went well. A total of about 15 people came. They enforced the "one per household" rule which surprised some. I'm glad they did this to stave off the moms/dads using their kids to get more.

olimpia84

My store had 48 units and at the time of opening only about 15 people in line. Wish I knew this so I could sleep a bit more (got to my store 40 minutes prior, was #11 in line).

Gameboy415

Got here about 10 minutes ago and got a ticket saying I'm #8 in line.
My store is getting 30 sets so I'm definitely good to go. :D

Nighteater

Neo Member
Got my order in! I'm surprised this low traffic gamestop opened 2 hours early. Guess they were expecting a big turn up. Now to catch some zzzs

Risible

Showed up an hour early to grab this for my son for Christmas. Was first in line. Ending up being about 10 people in line for the hour. There was a sign on the door that said they had 46 units available...I could have gotten there at 9:15 and grabbed one easily. Ah well, better safe than sorry.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Made it to GS at 9:15, had no trouble pre-ordering......but their copy of Tetris DS was sold out....

I forgot to ask how many people were waiting at line for opening.

kirby_fox

Banned
For those of you who were getting more than 1 at multiple stores, or had someone else out there using your membership card and you put 2 on that card...

...you may want to cancel one of those as fast as you can. Apparently corporate is going to cancel anyone they find with 2. And they will cancel both. One of the managers was telling us in line to not put two on the same power up card because you're screwed if you do.

Which I am certainly surprised about. You would think they would just cancel the one, but I guess this is their way of kicking any scalpers out of the game.

Anime

Neo Member
So between this event and the amazon one do you guys think the amiibo craze is pretty much over? Or has nintendo finally allocated enough?

Nah i do agree that it appears that exclusive stock is much more stable than before, i also believe another factor to take into account is that many collectors now are opting for imports ,meaning more freed up stock in NA.

With that said ,I believe September 11th may be a nightmare for amiibos.Too many good characters coming out that day.

Zubz

Banned
So between this event and the amazon one do you guys think the amiibo craze is pretty much over? Or has nintendo finally allocated enough?

A little bit of Column A, a little bit of Column B? We're almost at, or past, 50 Amiibo; that's roughly $750, assuming you somehow got all of the rares at market price. But at the same time, I think Nintendo's finally aware that Amiibo can't be a "platform" if all you can find are Mario & Link, and that regardless of character, these things sell. I mean, Dark Pit would've been a tier above Marth, in terms of number produced.

Now, any collector who wanted him got him with little effort. The process is still obnoxious if you just want to collect them casually, but groups like AmiiboGAF can probably get them all from here on out.

Velcro Fly

My hometown store is getting 45 lol

Got there about 8:30 and the usual collectors from the area were there. I just stayed in my car. Got out about 8:55 and was the 7th person in line.

The most painless thing ever like I knew it would be. Y'all freaking out over nothing.

Also there was some talk of Yoshi and my local GS employees said they knew nothing of that yet. So I'm guessing once the September stuff kicks off there might be more to know about Yoshi.

PLANO TX - SO glad I rushed to get to GameStop an hour early, #13 in line out of.... 17... :/

Definitely not the turnout I thought there would be, but my pre-order is secured.

melman101

That was too easy.

Got to first GameStop around 7:30am. Was around #6/7. Waited till 9am. Apple Pay declined for some reason. Got my preorder though. The sign they had up said they got 70. Second GameStop I went to, had 60 on the sign. No one was inside. Completely empty. Got that preorder there too :). One to open, one to keep in box :)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Seems weird they'd make Dr. Mario an exclusive, considering they've had tons of Marios everywhere (excluding color swap Mario at the one place nobody wanted it to be exclusive).

I still don't know if I want Dr. Mario. On the one hand, I'd be fine with it since it's actually a different variation (i.e costume), but I'm still a bit annoyed that he'd be part of the Smash line since I wasn't excited that he returned.

I arrived at my local gamestop at 9:00 and there were only 11 people in front of me inside the store when it opened. A few others showed up to stand in line behind me. But I was able to get my pre-order in for the Retro 3-pack and I left back home a happy panda. :)

Anime

Neo Member
Seems weird they'd make Dr. Mario an exclusive, considering they've had tons of Marios everywhere (excluding color swap Mario at the one place nobody wanted it to be exclusive).

I still don't know if I want Dr. Mario. On the one hand, I'd be fine with it since it's actually a different variation (i.e costume), but I'm still a bit annoyed that he'd be part of the Smash line since I wasn't excited that he returned.

I dont thinks its too far fetched , i mean Nintendo still hasn't given a rationale as to why NA is the only location stuck with exclusives, Apparently a Rep stated that there was a theme among which character would be exclusive to each retailer.

So far Toys R Us only had Pokmon , Target had Female Friendly characters , Best Buy has a dark theme with dark pit and meta , Gamestop has obscure and classic nintendo characters,Walmart and Amazon only had the Variant and Palutena for some reason.

That and Dr Mario and Bowser Jr were missing in several store databases , most evident was their lack of placeholder on amazon.

Anime

Neo Member
I got 2 of them at 2 different gamestops. If they cancel them so be it. Theres enough to get them later or buy them from europe.

Worth the risk? A smooth launch doesn't necessarily mean future stock will be good or even decent , as far as we're concerned Palutena and Dark Pit don't exist to the majority consumers in NA despite having a smooth launch.

I open all my amiibos and ive imported all of them after wave 4 from europe. So it doesnt matter, i'll get them somehow.

Note: Amazon Italy is horrible with packeging they always come with messed up boxes. I don't care since I open them but it's just a warning.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I dont thinks its too far fetched , i mean Nintendo still hasn't given a rationale as to why NA is the only location stuck with exclusives, Apparently a Rep stated that there was a theme among which character would be exclusive to each retailer.

So far Toys R Us only had Pokmon , Target had Female Friendly characters , Best Buy has a dark theme with dark pit and meta , Gamestop has obscure and classic nintendo characters,Walmart and Amazon only had the Variant and Palutena for some reason.

That and Dr Mario and Bowser Jr were missing in several store databases , most evident was their lack of placeholder on amazon.
Oh yeah, I've noticed the exclusives pattern going on, hence why it seems weird Dr. Mario would be Target exclusive after two females while TRU might get Bowser Jr. despite not being a Pokemon (please don't make Mewtwo TRU exclusive). BB seems to be the "anti-hero" or something, which also wouldn't fit.

Maybe we'll get lucky & Amazon will get a few more exclusives, considering how well Palutena was handeled. GS seems to be handling this 3-pack well based on the stories here.

I guess for the time being, I'll focus on Ganondorf, Bowser Jr., & maybe ZZS and that 30th anniversary Mario. Just sucks the new wave is out 10 days before my b-day, but I'm sure I won't get any new amiibo as gifts.

DooD1234

Went this morning, I was like 16th in line and the store flyer says they have like 55 available to order. Needless to say this was a painless experience. Paid it off fully. Sounds like it was a painless experience for everyone unlike Ness.

bigkurz

Banned
The scene at my GameStop today. It's like he's peddling drugs or fake Rolexes.

image.jpg

Maengun1

Well this one was easy peasy. Walked into GS 10 minutes after they opened, no one there. Guy told me 1 person was waiting at open, I was 2nd. Put down my $5 and left. Between this and Palutena, what's going on??? ;)

DooD1234

Well this one was easy peasy. Walked into GS 10 minutes after they opened, no one there. Guy told me 1 person was waiting at open, I was 2nd. Put down my $5 and left. Between this and Palutena, what's going on??? ;)
NoA actually getting their shit together or people stop caring about amiibo in NA.

kirby_fox

Banned
Oh yeah, I've noticed the exclusives pattern going on, hence why it seems weird Dr. Mario would be Target exclusive after two females while TRU might get Bowser Jr. despite not being a Pokemon (please don't make Mewtwo TRU exclusive). BB seems to be the "anti-hero" or something, which also wouldn't fit.

Maybe we'll get lucky & Amazon will get a few more exclusives, considering how well Palutena was handeled. GS seems to be handling this 3-pack well based on the stories here.

I guess for the time being, I'll focus on Ganondorf, Bowser Jr., & maybe ZZS and that 30th anniversary Mario. Just sucks the new wave is out 10 days before my b-day, but I'm sure I won't get any new amiibo as gifts.

Walmart -- Mario variations...it might get both Dr. Mario and the other missing 8-bit Mario.

Target is "female oriented", TRU is Pokemon, BB is the "rival", Amazon had the "Amazonian" one (tall, strong woman), GS has had the niche characters.

Out of all of those...I would bet Best Buy would get Bowser Jr. rather than TRU. He's the closest you'll get to another character in the "rival" category.

JavyOO7

Got to my GS 2 hours early. Only 5 people in total for 32 pre orders. Hialeah Gardens, FL Gamestop. Either people don't know about this GS or people are importing, I dunno. Either way, I paid it in full. Yay. :)

Ibuki

Banned
I went about 45 mins prior and there was less 10 people waiting. With 32 total preorders I would say this was handled pretty well.

Got mine in at one store, got my second set to open in under a friend's name at a different store. Hope he enjoys his new PowerUp Rewards membership LOL!

GameStop employee anecdote:
"GameStop told Nintendo if they didn't get enough stock for their exclusive figures, they'd stop selling amiibo completely."

Jeff-DSA

Got mine. I was about 30 deep in the line, but my store had 60 available, so it's all good. People are still showing up, so they're going to run out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom