• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 7 | Now Lucina, now you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravidee

This is such an awesome picture! What is that giant arm thing carrying Ness, if I might ask?
It looks very... deliberate? I think that's the word I'm looking for!

That's the half scale model of the bionic arm that came with Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Collector's Edition.

hutna

Picked up my retro three pack: girlfriend is going to be so stoked.

Got 8 card packs from the GameStop. Cleared out their stock: the clerk was NOT happy. I felt bad lol.

Got 8 more packs (and my new iPhone) OTW from UPS. Jerks always come so late here. Can't wait to trade with you folks!

scoot3r

Went to pick up my 3 pack and they had 2 packs of cards left, I got one and the lady behind me got one. My GS never gets a lot of stock though.

That's the half scale model of the bionic arm that came with Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Collector's Edition.
Thank you very much, friend!

It looks very unique in that setup, and I'm sure it brings the owner great happiness which makes me happy too!

I'm afraid to say because I don't want to get crucified.
When I went to buy amiibo cards with my friend, the two girls behind us bought every pack we didn't buy. Good for them! :)

Just a little glad we got there before them!

jnWake

Mr. G&W amiibo is so cool. ROB too. I was meh on Duck Hunt but the three pack was the only way the get the other two. He looks cool too, but nothing beats the Mr. G&W Hammer 9 pose.

Maengun1

Got my retro pack! I didn't get to the store until 6:30 pm to pick up my pre-order, and they still had some just out on the desk for anyone to grab. Looks like great stock (which follows the insanely long pre-order window)!

Can't believe the Smash line is really just about done. Yeah there's still Falco and DLC, but no more giant batches of 8 or 12 or whatever at a time. Weird feeling.

I love amiibo and I love Animal Crossing, but I don't think I'm going to pick up Happy Home Designer and I'm definitely not doing the cards.

So are the numbering of the cards the same as the EU/Japanese ones? Then we can just freely get the binders from another country, right?

I tossed them into the back of my Pokemon card binder for now, but I'd really love to put them in that neat little binder.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The online order for the retro 3-pack was cancelled by GS, luckily enough, I was able to pick it up in store.

I'm doing all my GS preorders in store now.

hutna

So are the numbering of the cards the same as the EU/Japanese ones? Then we can just freely get the binders from another country, right?

I tossed them into the back of my Pokemon card binder for now, but I'd really love to put them in that neat little binder.

Jumping Jehosaphat I just saw that binder and now I need that binder. I hope there is a way to import it!

Bane

So on the cards, what do the numbers and symbols below the names mean? Like one will be an bow and arrow with 9/23 and such.

So on the cards, what do the numbers and symbols below the names mean? Like one will be an bow and arrow with 9/23 and such.

Astrological Sign is the symbol, and the number is the birthday. I believe 9/23 would put them into Sagittarius. For some reason, Astrological signs has always been heavily tied into the Animal Crossing series. In New Leaf, there was a whole Astrological furniture series...and actually I got a Scorpion something recently in this game.

Birthdays are special as a way for you to become closer to a villager you really like so they'd be more inclined to stay.

Oh wow, taking a look at the cards closer, I realized they all have a Dice value on the left side, and a Rock Paper Scissors Value on the right. Those are for amiibo festival, right?

So are folks happy with the cards? I plan on passing on them but I am curious if those that were excited for them are happy.
I like them, but I think they could have made them a little higher quality and dropped the price, or added more into the pack (Say 8). As of now, they're about a buck more than Pokemon cards and the quality is about the same (well, the amiibo cards have the NFC chip in them)

I like that there's a ton of villagers, and really I'm interested in getting to know more of them. I had Lopez come by early on, and I see he has a card, and I really like him as a character now...I've never seen him or knew he even existed.

I think the biggest thing though is the lack of the card album. I'd love to have that, and to me that just raises the collectabilty factor; here's what you have...but look at all these empty spaces. You DO want to fill those, right? *goes to buy 40 more packs of cards*

It reminds me all of the old days of the Pokemon Cards, and I'm hoping maybe Nintendo can recapture that a little. I hope stores get more, and I hope we DO see some more amiibo cards, but not as permanent replacements. I see why they'd want to print these for rare figures like...Marth, Villager, etc...but the collectibility of a having an actual physical toy is far greater than a trading card.

So are folks happy with the cards? I plan on passing on them but I am curious if those that were excited for them are happy.

I picked up my retro 3 pack today! Smash line almost done!

Bane

Astrological Sign. I believe that's Sagittarius. For some reason, Astrological signs has always been heavily tied into the Animal Crossing series. In New Leaf, there was a whole Astrological furniture series...and actually I got a Scorpion something recently in this game.

Ah, I see. So sign and birthday.

I picked up my retro 3 pack today! Smash line almost done!

Honestly I think the quality is a little less than I expected. There's no clear coat on them, it's just the bare paper. The specials have one somewhat due to the foil but they still feel a bit cheap.

Hey sweet, my Walmart preorders of Ganondorf and ZSS, which had previously been in a "processing" limbo for weeks, finally shipped. So now I only need a few of the Toys R Us exclusives to have every single Smash amiibo. This (fun) nightmare is almost over!

Until the next big series of amiibos is announced.

JavyOO7

Bought 3 packs today, and 9 more packs should come in the mail next week. I have a feeling Nebraska Furniture Mart will cancel though. Walmart and Amazon said they have already shipped it out, so next week should be fun.

Jitters
Quillson
Winnie
Punchy
Bangle x 2 (traded one Bangle to get a Portia from a friend)
Mint
Gruff
Yuka
Roscoe
Goose
Chief
Henry
DJ KK
Digby
Harriet
Portia
Cheri
Jambette

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ah, I see. So sign and birthday.

Honestly I think the quality is a little less than I expected. There's no clear coat on them, it's just the bare paper. The specials have one somewhat due to the foil but they still feel a bit cheap.

Oh that's disappointing.

Bought two card packs while picking up my Retro 3-Pack today. Left one sealed for the lulz and opened one. Timmy was my special card. I have no idea who any of the 6 are but Timmy is cute and looks like Tom Nook so I'm happy.

That said, amiibo cards are not for me. Figures or bust.

Hey sweet, my Walmart preorders of Ganondorf and ZSS, which had previously been in a "processing" limbo for weeks, finally shipped.

Same. Ganon, ZSS and Olimar. I just found a bunch in-store today and picked out the ones I wanted. Saw they shipped when I went to cancel. Now I get to pick them up and instantly return them!

InkoMint

Neo Member
Picked up the game from Best Buy this evening. Purchased 3 packs this morning with one double, and two more when I got the game. Opened my game and got sealed Isabelle! The only other rare I got and actually care about was Harriet!

Have to say though, I didn't get any of the commons I wanted at all. :(

Hatchtag

Banned
Hey sweet, my Walmart preorders of Ganondorf and ZSS, which had previously been in a "processing" limbo for weeks, finally shipped. So now I only need a few of the Toys R Us exclusives to have every single Smash amiibo. This (fun) nightmare is almost over!

Until the next big series of amiibos is announced.

Dammit, my Walmart pre-orders did too. I was happy about having the extra 39 bucks.
Guess I'll go get the retro 3-pack tomorrow too.

I don't think anyone will judge. I'm curious as well as I want to know how many packs that I'll be in for to get this set.

72 packs.

I'm still two cards short and I think my town is sold out of cards now. :|

I take Amiibo very seriously and Animal Crossing even more so. I knew that Animal Crossing Amiibo would be the end of me.

72 packs.

I take Amiibo very seriously and Animal Crossing even more so. I knew that Animal Crossing Amiibo would be the end of me.
Christ thats a lot. Im jealous that you have that kind of spending money

DooD1234

72 packs.

I feel so relieved that I don't care for the amiibo cards. I would waste so much money trying to collect them all.

Boogiepop

72 packs.

They honestly seem pretty well stocked so I don't think people in here are probably going to get "angry" at you or anything, but you probably went more than a little overkill. After a certain point it's got to be way more cost efficient to just go for trades or buying singles or whatever.

Velcro Fly

Three more packs from Walmart overnighted. They must remember how bad they hosed me on the Splatoon 3 pack and how much I complained.

9 packs opened so far and zero doubles of specials. Counting my game I have 10/17 specials on 9 packs.

42/100 with a growing pile of doubles.

Going to wait until all my Series 1 cards arrive before I set up a list and trade for the few I may need.

Still no Samson, Limberg, or Willow. Or Isabelle. But in these last three packs I did get DJ KK and Kapp'n.

I have 15 more packs coming. 10 from GS, 4 from Amazon, and a single one from Best Buy that shipped late. If the next few series are as stocked as this I'll be happy to buy 20 packs every time and trade.

Literally only missing 1 card, Benjamin.

I bought about 25 packs I think, lost count, haha. Traded for around 18 cards I was missing. Pretty well, I think. Can't imagine buying 72 packs for the set...

Hey, that's kinda pointed...

And? It's not very smart. You end up reaching a point where buying a pack is going to net you almost all doubles, based on the odds. I was getting to that point with my later packs, where every card was a double.

That's when you stop and end up trading the rest to save a lot of time and money. The NA packs aren't like the Japanese versions, where a whole case could get you a set easily.

Marvie_3

Banned
And? It's not very smart. You end up reaching a point where buying a pack is going to net you almost all doubles, based on the odds. I was getting to that point with my later packs, where every card was a double.

That's when you stop and end up trading the rest to save a lot of time and money. The NA packs aren't like the Japanese versions, where a whole case could get you a set easily.
Thats why the event at the nintendo store last night was awesome. My gf was missing about 30 when we got there. By the end of the night she was only missing 1.

Thats why the event at the nintendo store last night was awesome. My gf was missing about 30 when we got there. By the end of the night she was only missing 1.

Nice!

I know a few people in a Skype GAF group that were collecting, so we were counting what we needed and traded. I finished up most of my trades on the forum last night, just missing one now.

Bane

I'm at 63/100. I've seven more packs coming in the mail Monday (didn't think packs would be so easy to get and too late to cancel) then I'll be looking to trade for the rest.

bumpkin

Gotten three packs so far with a 4th on the way and I've ended up with two duplicates; Tortimer (#15) and Shari (#44). Is there a special thread for trading these guys or have people been using the main amiibo trading thread?

Skrams

Either I somehow forgot to cancel both my ZSS and Olimar from Walmart or Walmart decided to ship my Olimar anyway despite me canceling it. No idea if I just let the time lapse and they'll refund me after time has lapsed or if I have to go pick it up then immediately return it. Either way, this is kind of annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom