• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 7 | Now Lucina, now you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.
I predicted Chibi-Robo! and Animal Crossing amiibo stock going this way (and was routinely chided/laughed at for saying they'd be overstocked/easy to get), but I still bought both Day 1 at full price because these characters and series are important to me.

In addition, I got/still get ridiculously mad that Nintendo is just throwing AC amiibo and cards out there with zero tie-in products. They missed out on simultaneously releasing amiibo Festival and Series 2 Cards in NA, imo. It was easy to buy and trade Series 1, but... the pattern of only "Hardcore" fans investing deeper continues. (I still have my e-Reader and some cards, btw.)

It is really a shame we got Zip Lash! after missing out on Okaeri! Chibi-Robo!, which is the game that tiny robot fans actually wanted. (Japanese-only DS game, direct sequel to the original GCN game, not region locked if you're curious. And can read Japanese/muddle through without it.)

I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep up on cards, either. My level of apathy is increasing, we'll see if it outweighs the obvious monetary concerns. You can get two full priced AAA games for the cost of the 17 card packs (using Amazon/Best Buy game saving subscriptions), and then trading and importing album costs on top of that would cover the season passes in most cases. I have to ask myself, "Do I want to play games, or continue to collect merchandise that may not even have a practical use on the next platform or in the next game?"

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Seems like Amiibo hype has died down a ton...

yep, the dream has died.

not just the dream of encountering the same 50 people lied up at 3 a.m. before every Amiibo release

and not just the dream of Nintendo's coffers filling at a rate never before seen thanks entirely to Amiibos

but the dream of getting one last Amiibo OT, giving one last thrill to Diggeh, stirring his otherwise dead and jaded heart.

rip amiibos

rip everything

Seems like Amiibo hype has died down a ton...

Not to mention the prices. There isn't a single amiibo you can't get on Amazon for under $20 with the exception of Lucario ($21), Robin ($21), Lucina ($22) and Gold Mario ($22), not including 3-packs or MYY.

Yes, most of these are JPN imports, but I'm an unboxer so I could care less.

Kirye

Not to mention the prices. There isn't a single amiibo you can't get on Amazon for under $20 with the exception of Lucario ($21), Robin ($21), Lucina ($22) and Gold Mario ($22), not including 3-packs or MYY.

Yes, most of these are JPN imports, but I'm an unboxer so I could care less.

Toon Link is still 30ish. :( Been hoping for a reprint of him and Sheik.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe a Zelda reprint will happen with Twilight Princess HD. I wouldn't mind Toon Link now that he actually can be different from regular Link now. Plus I have more nostalgia for Toon Link due to Wind Waker being my first Zelda (along with the amazing pre-order bonus of OoT Master Quest).

Edit: Just as a recap of who is left from the Smash line that I need:

- Wario (seriously, no reprint of a Mario character?)
- Robin
- Lucina (reprint for FE Fates??)
- Toon Link
- All 6 Pokemon (MAYBE I'll nab them now if Pokken makes use of them)
- The Mii Fighters (I can't believe they didn't leave the face blank so you could write on them & make them more unique/closer to your ACTUAL Mii)

Part of me might get the Pokemon & Mii Fighters considering how close I am to owning all of them and I have much more money now. But I'd rather get them on sale or something.

If the rumors of Smash being ported to NX turn out to be true I wonder what Nintendo will do about Amiibo support. Time to bring out Smash Amiibo Cards? I think that'd only serve to piss off people more, if they can't get the specific figure they want anymore because they never bought a Wii U, and they have to resort to blind buying cards, guh. I mean I guess they can go to eBay to find the one they want but for the casual consumer or new NX owner are they really gonna want to do that? But at the same time I can't imagine them keeping the Smash line out an additional year, or them doing reprints of older discontinued figures. Hmm.

...I just finished buying all the Smash and Animal Crossing amiibo. Plus Shovel Knight, 8Bit Mario, Chibi-robo, and one green Yarn Yoshi. I'm okay with taking a break from this madness.

Oh and the Splatoon set...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh so NOW Pokemon Company allows Nintendo to do more with Pokemon for Mario Maker. Bulbasaur, Charmander, & Squirtle were added as event costumes & they actually have unique sound effects based on the original GB game.

Makes me hopeful Nintendo would bother going to the 6 already included via amiibo & give them sounds as well.

leroidys

Any rumblings of NA getting the FE card amiibo? Seems like with how popular the AC cards are, it would be worth a shot for Nintendo to release them here.

Zalman

Sooo when are we gonna get amiibo of these three beauties?

Ca_8lyNW8AAs6bM.jpg:small

Skrams

Someone tell best buy to put wave 2 of the AC amiibo on sale so I can feel less bad buying them.

I also just remembered that Megaman Legacy Collection will be hitting my doorstep soon. I will have a Gold Megaman, but not a regular Megaman. God fuck, Capcom or whoever decides for 3rd party amiibo stuff.

Gamestop finally refunded me for my missing amiibo package. I can now reorder my amiibos and get the newest released AC amiibos on top of those. I'm hype as fuuuuuck.

Thoraxes

I'll admit... I didn't expect to buy any of the cards, but somehow even I got suckered into buying two packs just to see what the hell they were about.

I definitely won't go for a collection of those though... I think.

I'll admit... I didn't expect to buy any of the cards, but somehow even I got suckered into buying two packs just to see what the hell they were about.

I definitely won't go for a collection of those though... I think.

I bought two packs of each series: one to keep sealed and collect, one to open and see what they're like. I don't/won't have any Animal Crossing games and won't ever bother using them but I promised myself I would buy at least one amiibo from every series they make. That way I won't go crazy/broke buying amiibo I have no interest in (for a complete collection) but all will be represented in some manner.

At least for now. If I ever happen to see all the AC amiibo in a bargain bin for $3 each, I may buy what I need to complete the set.

nope i got mine with no issues thank you massive snow storm :)

Heh, I had fog with like 10 feet of visibility. :p

Target had a 1 per customer limit, but I was able to hit up two other stores for extras for friends (the latter of which wasn't enforcing their limit, so I grabbed 2) before they sold out everywhere.

Thoraxes

I bought two packs of each series: one to keep sealed and collect, one to open and see what they're like. I don't/won't have any Animal Crossing games and won't ever bother using them but I promised myself I would buy at least one amiibo from every series they make. That way I won't go crazy/broke buying amiibo I have no interest in (for a complete collection) but all will be represented in some manner.

At least for now. If I ever happen to see all the AC amiibo in a bargain bin for $3 each, I may buy what I need to complete the set.

That's a decent way to go about it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I see Mewtwo is $10 on a few sites. Are the others that're $10 just part of the wave with Olimar, Ganondorf, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom