• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 7 | Now Lucina, now you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drago

So since Amazon took forever to announce their plan do you guys approve how they handled it?

I thought they handled it the best they could. They let everyone know when and where to get the amiibo they wanted, which I think is better than putting them all up at the same time at a random time of day. It's not really their fault that they sold out so quick (Robina and Lucina in particular), they can only sell what they have.

It's weird that they totally skipped preorders though.

Skids the Clown

Neo Member
So since Amazon took forever to announce their plan do you guys approve how they handled it?

Considering the shitfest that wave 4 was, and the fact that they were really the only company that was upfront with their customers about short supplies, I think they really did the best they could to make it fair for everyone.

So I scored a Meta Knight today for my son since I couldn't get one when they first came out. He's been wanting one and import prices were just a little too high to get one. After hearing that he was getting a restock, I could not miss my chance.

Got home from work and the plan was to put Meta in with his other Amiibo and wait until he noticed. He finally noticed right before going to bed and could not believe it, he was so excited!

sonto340

My GameStop order finally came in today, so here's a picture of my rather modest amiibo collection.
fusrpukBSvQpTm0QWZrFKI6B8_RK0M0f708W7yYAT2RRktbaj8WSsxiIEV0OEdZNPq3BXxxVKo_sc8s=w1912-h2560

Pacman and Charizard are en route to my house from Amazon now. The thirst is real.

The Giant

Banned
Chibi Robo bundle is now up for preorder at eb games, instore at the moment, for us aussies. Already pre ordered my copy.

6 more amiibo to go till i have all the smash characters i want cant wait till this is over. Whats everyones plan post smash line will you continue the hunt for future amiibo or will you be out of the hunt? As far as my plans im gonna get the green wolly yoshi and the chibi robo amiibo and just wait and see what nintendo does next.

Ugh. I so want the peace of mind that I'll get them when they release...
6 more amiibo to go till i have all the smash characters i want cant wait till this is over. Whats everyones plan post smash line will you continue the hunt for future amiibo or will you be out of the hunt? As far as my plans im gonna get the green wolly yoshi and the chibi robo amiibo and just wait and see what nintendo does next.
I want the Yoshis and Chibi and I'm gonna be psychotic and go after the Animal Crossing cards.

Drago

After Smash line, it's gonna be a case by case basis. I'll likely skip any characters that were already in the Smash line, such as the Mario series sans Toad, unless they really stand out like Woolly Yoshi (and even there, I only want and preordered the green one). I also don't see myself getting into cards seeing how much I hate the booster pack format, especially if it's for NFC and I get a bunch of cards for characters I don't care about. If they introduce another new amiibo series that I want all the figures from, I'll go for it if I want to (such as the Splatoon line -- 3pack made that one easy). Thankfully, I highly doubt any amiibo series will come anywhere close to how massive the Smash line is. Unless they make amiibos for 50+ Mario characters, I don't know.

After Smash though, I feel pretty damn content with what I consider my wall of Nintendo's history, in expensive figure form. Believe it or not, Chibi Robo was the character I wanted most to be on there too after all the characters in Smash, since I love the character and series so much and wanted it represented, but I never thought he had a fart's chance in the wind of being made because of how niche and unknown he is, in a sea of niche and unknown Nintendo characters. And yet, here we are. Life's good.

Maengun1

Could there be surprise amiibos announced at E3 for as early as the July wave, or would we know about them being produced by now? I know I've seen people posting availability predictions based on production #s, but not sure where that info is.

Still think just the two Kid Icarus characters alone in a mini wave seems odd. They could possibly throw in the remaining original roster characters as the exclusives...

Duck Hunt - Target
Falco - Best Buy
Game & Watch - Gamestop
ROB - Toys R Us

Or maybe they'll announce Mewtwo/Lucas...hmm...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Nintendo will probably do a set of 3-5 amiibos for all of their major releases, kinda like Mario Party and Splatoon, and maybe one-offs for smaller ones like Yoshi's Wooly World and Chibi Robo.

Expect a Zelda line when the new WiiU Zelda comes out.
Expect a small Star Fox line when the new Wiiu Star Fox comes out.
Fire Emblem 3DS? Maybe they'll sneak in amiibo functionality at the 11th hour and do Smash reprints plus 1-2 new amiibos using new characters.
Pokemon Z? Oh sure, let's add amiibo functionality, and here's 10-15 new amiibo! Starters, legendaries, and maybe a few Mega Evolutions!

Could there be surprise amiibos announced at E3 for as early as the July wave, or would we know about them being produced by now? I know I've seen people posting availability predictions based on production #s, but not sure where that info is.

Still think just the two Kid Icarus characters alone in a mini wave seems odd. They could possibly throw in the remaining original roster characters as the exclusives...

Duck Hunt - Target
Falco - Best Buy
Game & Watch - Gamestop
ROB - Toys R Us

Or maybe they'll announce Mewtwo/Lucas...hmm...

seeing as japan gets wave 5 before e3 i dont think the chances are good of them adding anymore amiibo to wave 5. plus the usa is the only region with dark pit and palutena releasing on there own.

Nighteater

Neo Member
What if they made an Alt. line of smash bros characters, which includes alternate costumes along with females robin and male wii fit trainer?

What if they made an Alt. line of smash bros characters, which includes alternate costumes along with females robin and male wii fit trainer?

then i would skip over them as im not going for a complete set just the characters i want which is why i only need 6 more characters from the smash line :)

Nintendo will probably do a set of 3-5 amiibos for all of their major releases, kinda like Mario Party and Splatoon, and maybe one-offs for smaller ones like Yoshi's Wooly World and Chibi Robo.

Expect a Zelda line when the new WiiU Zelda comes out.
Fire Emblem 3DS? Maybe they'll sneak in amiibo functionality at the 11th hour and do Smash reprints plus 1-2 new amiibos using new characters.
Pokemon Z? Oh sure, let's add amiibo functionality, and here's 10-15 new amiibo! Starters, legendaries, and maybe a few Mega Evolutions!

i agree the smash line will be the biggest yet and once its done they will do smaller lines like with mario party series. IF they bring out a starfox line i will be all over it arwing amiibo, yes please!

Drago

Not gonna lie. If they did an amiibo series for StarFox with the main crew, I'd definitely be trying to get Peppy and Slippy to complete the main crew. Maybe an Arwing as well if they do one. And probably Wolf if they did him too... >_>

Pokemon is the only other series where I can see them doing massive amounts of figures again. I would hope, if they do any amiibo stuff for it, they would do cards like Animal Crossing that give you that Pokemon for use in the game, something small but cool and practical, and you don't really miss out on anything since those Pokemon would still be obtainable in-game.

And if they are cards, I can safely ignore them!
maybe a pack or two...

sonto340

The only amiibos I intend to collect all of is still the smash line. After scouring the Internet for deals and sucking it up and paying scalper prices for a couple, I'm up to 25 amiibos including what's on the way in the mail. Officially the overall halfway point.
Was it ever confirmed if DLC characters are getting Amiibos?

Drago

Was it ever confirmed if DLC characters are getting Amiibos?

In the April Direct, yes.

I could see them revealing the figures themselves at E3 and releasing them in August worldwide. I would hope scanning them into Smash will also unlock the character but, who knows.

sonto340

In the April Direct, yes.

I could see them revealing the figures themselves at E3 and releasing them in August worldwide. I would hope scanning them into Smash will also unlock the character but, who knows.
That would be a great use of amiibos considering they cost more than the character I could see it happening.

WAIT. this means OFFICIAL MOTHER 3 MERCHANDISE IS COMING TO THE STATES.

Bittercup

I don't have much experience with Amiibo. I only bought a Wii Fit Trainer so far. Now I want Jigglypuff and the Splatoon girl.
So how does this usually work? Both are sold out except for amazon marketplace seller with higher prices. Do they get restocked? Or do I have to panic? I don't mind to wait a bit if they will be back but I don't want to miss them entirely/pay even higher prices.
I'm in Europe, so no retail exclusive deals as far as I know. No idea how the sales are handled here. When everyone was panicking about Wii Fit Trainer being sold out she was easily available again shortly after here. But I don't want to waste time waiting when there won't be another shipment.

Drago

WAIT. this means OFFICIAL MOTHER 3 MERCHANDISE IS COMING TO THE STATES.

Yes, it does. It will be actual hell on earth getting him, I'm sure. Even moreso than previous amiibo waves.

I need him, though. Mother 3 is my favorite game of all time and you think I'm not gonna get him, hell fuckin no. Even if I have to pay insane scalper prices... whatever needs to be done...

sonto340

I don't have much experience with Amiibo. I only bought a Wii Fit Trainer so far. Now I want Jigglypuff and the Splatoon girl.
So how does this usually work? Both are sold out except for amazon marketplace seller with higher prices. Do they get restocked? Or do I have to panic? I don't mind to wait a bit if they will be back but I don't want to miss them entirely/pay even higher prices.
I'm in Europe, so no retail exclusive deals as far as I know. No idea how the sales are handled here. When everyone was panicking about Wii Fit Trainer being sold out she was easily available again shortly after here. But I don't want to waste time waiting when there won't be another shipment.
Squid girl and boy are both in stock for msrp on Nebraska Furniture Mart. If you have one locally you can check stock online if you'd rather buy it in person.
https://m.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?productid=42888230
(Sorry about the mobile link)

Tiger Direct and Nebraska Furniture mart usually have stock of amiibos at sporadic times. Tiger Direct had robin after Amazon sold out recently.
Basically Amazon is nothing but scalpers at this point which is sad. Your best bet is in stores for the most part.

Yes, it does. It will be actual hell on earth getting him, I'm sure. Even moreso than previous amiibo waves.

I need him, though. Mother 3 is my favorite game of all time and you think I'm not gonna get him, hell fuckin no. Even if I have to pay insane scalper prices... whatever needs to be done...
Same! I was first in line for Ness and I will be there even earlier for Lucas. I'll be calling in sick that day for sure.I planned on getting more nesses to trade on gaf but I'm sure everyone is familiar with how Gamestops servers handled Ness and the FE duo going on sale at the same time so I only managed to snag two.

Frogstep

I want the Yoshis and Chibi and I'm gonna be psychotic and go after the Animal Crossing cards.

I think I'm crazy enough to do the same thing. Initially I wanted to just get the frog villager cards but knowing that they're probably going to come in random booster packs is crushing that dream. D:

sonto340

Thank you :) But those seem to be US stores. I'm in Europe.
Ah. If it helps amiibo are region free if you plan on using them, but I'm sure the shipping would be outrageous. I'm afraid I don't know much about European amiibo hunting other than check your local stores. I've found lots of amiibos around in stores I'd never had expected would have them stocked. The inklings are still new so there's likely to be restocked on store shelves. Good luck!

Bittercup

Ah. If it helps amiibo are region free if you plan on using them, but I'm sure the shipping would be outrageous. I'm afraid I don't know much about European amiibo hunting other than check your local stores. I've found lots of amiibos around in stores I'd never had expected would have them stocked. The inklings are still new so there's likely to be restocked on store shelves. Good luck!
Yes with shipping + import fees I would prefer to buy them locally instead of importing.
I'll try to find them in smaller stores. Amazon.de seems to get a new shipment as well. The Splatoon girl was twice for a quick moment available to pre-order for next week but gone once I added her to the shopping cart so I couldn't check out.

Why we have to wait 3 MONTHS to get our Olimar and Ganon amiibo? :(. I might just import since I open mine anyways and the exclusive nonsense doesn't exist overseas.

Why we have to wait 3 MONTHS to get our Olimar and Ganon amiibo? :(. I might just import since I open mine anyways and the exclusive nonsense doesn't exist overseas.

You make it sound like Nintendo has every amiibo sitting in a warehouse somewhere ready to release upon the world at any moment. These things take time to make. Besides, at $12.99 USD each, 50 figures is almost $700 before tax. IDK about you, but I don't know many people ready to walk into a store and throw that kind of cheddar down at once for plastic toy figures. Assuming they were all available in the same mass quantity.

$13 at a time (or $80+ in our case with this last wave) is a lot easier to justify.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"Robin: Usually ships in 24 hours"

YES

"Shipping: Out of Stock"

UUUUGGGHHHHHH

Aside from Pac-Man & both Inklings (3-pack is sold out), everything else is in-store pick up only.

Duck Hunt - Target
Falco - Best Buy
Game & Watch - Gamestop
ROB - Toys R Us
Why would they add more exclusives to an exclusive-only wave?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe we'll get lucky & that'll be the "restock" wave.

....to which I mean they'll send only one of each to all the stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom