• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMOA show and the sad state of the arcade industry :(

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I don't think the nail can get buried any deeper into the coffin.
cry.gif

from *snk-capcom.com*

State of the Arcade Industry

This is a list of games of what you can expect in your local arcade some time soon.

- Need For Speed Underground
- Derby Owners Club
- Tekken 5
- King of Fighters
- Madden Football
- The Fast & The Furious (basically a "Crusin USA" clone, plays exactly like it)

To review and remind fans, operators or whomever is interested, here is an overview of some of the big gaming companies that have left the arcade market in the past few years, some being as recent as June 30th, 2004:

-Midway
-Acclaim
-Konami (arcade rights bought out by Betson Distributors)
-Capcom Coin-Op Corp.(exited out of Coin-Op as of March 31, 2004)
-SNK NEOGEO USA Corp.(exited out of MVS/Coin-Op as of June 30th, 2004, for US Market)

Compared to years past, the floor space that, for example, Sega or Namco would occupy, has drastically decreased, maybe to half it's size. There is no mystery to this, as the economy has shown it's weakness in arcade game popularity, hence with less demand, there is less production for video games...therefore, less to show.

The disappearance of the larger game developers causes a domino effect, as many mid-level game distributors have closed down in the past few months and many are in the midst of closing down shortly.

We've always been excited to attend the AMOA, simply because it's in Vegas and heck, there's nothing like seeing what's new out there. This year though, we were very disappointed, and quite honestly, don't know how many more shows is left with the AMOA. There simply isn't enough product to show nor buy for arcade operators to attend this event if it keeps up at this pace.

Sadly enough, the most exciting part of our trip was the cab ride back to our hotel. While standing in line, one of the attendees yelled, "Anyone going to the Bellagio?" We decided join this gentleman, as it allowed shorten our stand in line, also relieving us from the beating sun.

So we hop in the cab and started to chat about the show. We forget the gentleman's name, however, we do know he's an arcade operator from North Dakota. During our conversation, he says a number of interesting facts. He's been attending these shows for a number of years, given he's been in the business for over 30 years.

He comments, "there wasn't much at the show to buy, was there?" We ask,"What do you mean, in terms of video games or redemption?" "Video games, there just wasn't enough product. I remember 15 years ago, when the show floor was 3 times as large and the whole show floor was completely video games, with little or no redemption products at all."

So we asked him, "During your years, has it ever been this bad?" His response, "Yeah, during the late '70's to early '80's it was pretty bad." The market as we know it, is a different beast now. Back then, it was different in terms of production. There were only a few developers, so product and technology was limited. Today, we have all the resources to develop pretty much whatever we can imagine. The problem the arcade market faces today is evolution of the home consoles. With the processing power of the home console surpassing most of the arcade hardware, few and few people find a good enough reason to leave their homes and make their way to the local arcade. To put the stake in the coffin, with on-line capabilities, having the ability to challenge virtually anyone across the country in the comfort of your own home (chips & salsa included), pretty much says it all.

To add more damaging facts to the matter, the King of arcade fighters, Capcom will be releasing Capcom Fighting Jam/Evolution to both arcade/home almost simultaneously. Great for fans of console gaming, but terrible for the arcade operator as their biggest competition is no longer the operator down the street, but the kids holding their own tournaments at home.

The arcade industry knows it's in trouble, with little hope and no escape route in sight, it will take some innovation, not only in creating new games, but also the business model of the arcade in itself. What can an arcade offer that we cannot get at home, that would make us, dress up, get out of the house, make a drive (with the associated high gas prices) and fork out more money to play a game in the arcade? Video games? Nope. Redemption? It's helping. On site food service? Yuck, not the way most of them taste.

So what is the solution? Like any "big mess" (as Kerry likes to put it), there is no single solution to recovery. It is a grouped effort, with different trial and error practices to see what works and what doesn't.

What we do know that has worked in terms of keeping the scene alive:

Monetary Prizes in Arcade Gaming

The makers of Golden Tee, Incredible Technologies came up with a great idea, which isn't in any way new to us, but because of it's timing and how they implement it, it works. If anyone is familiar with their system, it's something, if thought up correctly, could work for a number of other games. We're not sure of the name of the association that sets up these touraments, so forgive us for an errors.

So in short, players of the Golden Tee Network enter in a weekly/monthly contest. A number of these machines are, as described above 'Networked' (works wirelessly, wherever cell phones work, these cabs will work or with broadband connection) to each other keeping scores of each contestant. The person with the highest score (lowest score in golf) would win and get a check sent directly to them. Any time there is money involved (gaming market, aka gambling), it's a very sensitive issue, however, this part of the market will have the older (21+ age group) pretty much taken care of. So the bottom line is, like legalized gambling which is so huge, we wouldn't be surprised to see this implemented in arcade games at a higher scale in the future. Money always brings people to the table and it works.

Organized Competitive Gaming Tournaments

Without gaming tournaments we would say Capcom arcade games would've died a long time ago. For some reason, many companies, such as SNK and Capcom, at least here in the states don't and haven't seen the huge benefit of what an official tournament could do for the growth in their arcade sector. At this point, it's too late. Both SNK and Capcom has asked us on occasion on ideas of how to help their bottom line numbers in the arcade market. Numerous times, we have suggested to them the idea of officially hosting arcade tournaments. To this day, as we know it, neither company has taken the suggestion, and we understand as they are held by strict guidelines and budgets controlled by their parent company, both located in Japan. Furthermore, we don't believe they truly see the overall benefit, which for some reason is clear to us.

In the U.S. market at least, sites such as www.shoryuken.com, we would say have single handidly increased Capcom's sales for both the arcade and home markets due to their large annual gaming tournament. Now how exactly does these tournaments help sales numbers? Anyone involved in the competitive gaming scene would have some idea on how this works.

The most 'effective' form of advertisement, isn't the internet. It's word of mouth advertising, as long as it's positive. Think about it. Have you ever been to a friend's house and saw their FAT home theater set up? You ask "dude, that is simply BAD ASS!!." "Yeah bro, let me tell you about this and where you can buy it" your friend replies. You will normally trust a friend recommending a product more than one that is advertised in a magazine, on TV, whatever the source. What tournaments provide is word of mouth advertising. One of your friends may play competitively, talks up a storm about how awesome the tourney was, what games were played in them, etc. You get excited, go out to the store to BUY the game (and the joystick, the memory card, the strategy combo guide) to practice those infinite combos constantly, talk your trash, join the tournament and tell another (different) friend about how good you are. That other friend talks trash back, is influenced to buy his own copy to beat you down in M v C 2. The competitiveness in players stirs up excitement, anger, egos and in the end promotes the gamer to do whatever is necessary to get better....which is to buy the gaming gear to get better. You get the idea.

Only thing is, we sure hoped Capcom, SNK and other gaming companies would see this a long time ago. It's what we would consider a surefire growth plan, that costs a helluva lot less in terms of marketing and advertising expenses, which is also much more effective in terms of returns. Many of these larger companies use conventional advertising methods (such as TV, magazine advertisements; however they cost millions of dollars), as they've worked before, but the market has drastically changed, from it's distributors, all the way down to the end-user themselves. The most successful companies (like Dell) out there today think outside of the box and use methods that are unique, methods that work, methods that give you 2 dollars for every dollar you spend = profit. With today's advertising, it's more like forking out 4 dollars, while getting only 1 dollar back = loss.

Continuing on the idea of hosting tournaments, enter in Namco. Someone in Namco is listening to it's fans, yay!!! For Tekken 5 fans out there, Namco has announced a nationwide tournament to be held in February 2005. Whether this tournament they're hosting is to be courteous to it's fans or they really see the benefit in this, we must give them high fives for taking the initiative to make an attempt in increasing their market share. In the current harsh conditions as we call the arcade market, it's either push your product or push you ass out the door. Not to sound vulgar, but that is the reality of how it is these days. We salute Namco for going after their checks, not waiting by the mail box for the check to arrive. For those interested in Namco's Tekken 5 tournament, check out www.tekken.vg shortly for updates.

What does this all mean?

We're upset about the current condition of the arcade market and the efforts that companies have put in making it work. From the software standpoint, Incredible Technologies and Namco is making a bold effort in restructuring what is left of the video gaming biz. Unless more companies join this group in making innovative software, expect more and more closures of arcade distributors nationwide along with it's supporting operators or arcade shops. One nightmare we don't want to wake up to one day is an arcade location that is void of video games, stocking only skee ball and other redemption items.

Like the stock and real estate market, there will one day be a resurgence in the U.S. market with arcade gaming, but it doesn't look like it'll be anytime soon. On the bright side, it's nice to know some gaming companies putting in their efforts along with websites hosting tournaments to support the cause.

So if anyone cares about the arcade market, the clock is ticking and there isn't much time left. If anyone wants to keep it alive, there's more to do than to say. We (fans) are waiting. Let us know when you come up with something that makes us want to leave comfort of our house.

Hey, maybe if some of these companies make some of their fighting games on-line (at higher speeds than what we currently have at home), that would be a good enough reason. Just throwing ideas out there, hopefully something will click. =)

This is very depressing to read....seriously.
cry.gif

Nothing beats arcade romance in full swing. When the games we're bigger, better, and funner than anything you could get elsewhere. Twenty people lined around a SF2 machine. A three screen X-Men cabinent dominating the entrance. Rows of Daytona 2 and GT 2. A thin, red cabinet in the corner, and yes, it does have Metal Slug on it. Walking in and seeing something you never thought possible. Eyes like saucers when Sega or Namco surprises you with that sequel you never thought they'd make. A place where we gather.

That said, I'm thrilled about the NFSU thing. I'll fucking play that.

explodet

I'll still go to my arcade as long as they keep up their DDR machines, Drummania, F-Zero AX and Initial D machines.

Hey, going to a Gameworks or Dave and Buster's with beer on tap is great. There's nothing like playing some Virtua Cop 3 with a tall Pyramid in my off-hand.

Parallax Scroll said:
Hey, going to a Gameworks or Dave and Buster's with beer on tap is great. There's nothing like playing some Virtua Cop 3 with a tall Pyramid in my off-hand.

No it fucking is not. I mean. I am glad that you can get some enjoyment out of such places, but they typically stock for the half-soused fuckers who think it's awesome to play a snowboarding game or pretend to bet on fake horses.

The only decent games you can count on being in these places is light-gun shooters, and even then they might screw ya and only stock Confidential Misson. Their stocks are mostly old and seriously worn. Aftermarket, non-recoiling Time Crisis guns, anyone?

There's a Gameworks close to my house that probably still has a VF4 machine with one broken side, thats goddamn disgraceful.

I'm putting my last prayers on the Atomiswave. May I one day find Dolphin Blue.

Fongul

I wish US arcades were more like Japanese arcades. There's nothing like bringing your memory card to a Sega arcade in Akihabra, marching down to a basement floor filled with nothing but VF4 Evo machines and set to do battle for an hour or two. I miss the social aspects of an arcade as well. You can say what you want about online play, but you can't socialize in the same way that you could face to face.

Fongul said:
I wish US arcades were more like Japanese arcades. There's nothing like bringing your memory card to a Sega arcade in Akihabra, marching down to a basement floor filled with nothing but VF4 Evo machines and set to do battle for an hour or two. I miss the social aspects of an arcade as well. You can say what you want about online play, but you can't socialize in the same way that you could face to face.

I think NFSU could have a chance of doing that. There was a rumor a few years ago that Sony was going to do a lauch of GT3 followed by an arcade version where you could use your memory card when you go to arcades.

Jonnyram

Is this list of companies leaving the arcade business accurate?
-Midway
-Acclaim
-Konami (arcade rights bought out by Betson Distributors)
-Capcom Coin-Op Corp.(exited out of Coin-Op as of March 31, 2004)
-SNK NEOGEO USA Corp.(exited out of MVS/Coin-Op as of June 30th, 2004, for US Market)

Capcom, as the article states, have Capcom Fighting Jam coming out at the end of the year, but is that their last ever? I don't think Konami are going to give up the Bemani distribution, even in the US.

I really can't speak for the US, but arcades are not doing too badly in Japan. Sega are set to open up more arcades, and there seems to be quite good support from all the majors like Namco, Sega and Konami. Having said that, the population density in Tokyo is so high that arcades don't have much problem. It must be hard in the US, if people have to drive miles just to play a coin-op.

explodet

I'm pretty sure the only official Bemani arcade product is DDRUSA... all the other Bemani products I've seen all have ONLY FOR USE IN JAPAN on the demo screens.

And yeah, it's a matter of population density - the only reason the arcade I go to does so well is because it's close to a big mall and that it's downtown.

Well, that and that it's a good place to do drug deals.

Dragmire

As a non-arcade gamer, there hasn't been much that's really interested me since the eighties. That was a time when I would find a lot of games in arcades to be fun-looking. I'm not into fighters, and I feel that they were the bulk of arcade gaming during the nineties. Obviously consoles caused a lot of disinterest with arcades, but I don't think it had to be that way.

The problem is that it probably isn't worthwhile to any developers to make arcade games when they can make so much money off of console gaming. For an arcade game, they have to provide the hardware and software, then get places to purchase their machine. Console gaming provides a safer business model where the hardware is already available in millions of homes. Also, once-arcadey ideas, like Donkey Konga, are getting cheaper to bring home.

That said, I think the market would be possible to revive if a developer actually wanted to. They would have to come up with ideas that were more fun and obviously different from the console market and difficult to do on consoles. Two problems I think arcades had during the nineties, at least in the US: the games, and the public perception of arcades as being an old-school, eighties thing. For arcade gaming to revitilize, it would take a big effort all at once on the part of one or many developers. This is because one great idea at a time won't work (i.e. Crazy Taxi was a rather good idea, and is ideal for arcade gaming, but came when the market was rather unhealthy). An all-at-once approach (of course it would never happen, but I'm being hypothetical) would provide word of mouth, which I believe was how arcades gained interest in the old days. Therefore, the games and the image would go hand in hand. I suppose commercial and print advertising could work, but as far as I know, that's largely uncharted territory and sounds risky.

Maybe one problem is that the technology to make an arcade game is more expensive for the average developer than the old days. I don't think technology is the key, though. People will want to pick up and play anything that's playable, for example, in a store. Those boring Tiger Electronics digital games, console/handheld demos, anything. That said, if it's technology unavailable at home, people will want to play it more. Why didn't anyone use camera technology in arcade games in the nineties? The nineties saw GameBoy Camera, and that was a relatively cheap consumer product. I think it would still work nowadays since a buck for a camera-based game is still much cheaper than Eyetoy or a webcam. Someone could make a game where you take pictures of people with all sorts of trick lenses and camera effects, and they vote on the best one by cheering or something. That may or may not work well, but there's tons of ideas for camera games that you couldn't cheaply have at home. I'd like to see Camera Punchout.

What about touch screen gaming? Even with DS, an arcade would be cheaper for people to try this technology. Obviously we're at a point where good arcade ideas are viable for home/portable use, so they're not being put in arcades, but I think it could still work if they were. Pac-Pix or Pac 'n Roll could have made fantastic arcade games. A Pictionary/Isketch/Inklink/Whatever type game could be really cool for arcades, though obviously a person could do that online for free (but just having it there gives people incentive to stick around once they're in the arcade). Nintendo's submarine demo could make a great arcade game: get through various underwater courses fast to get a high score. You could replace the touch screen submarine controls with actual buttons and switches.

Dancing/music games are games that arcades pull off well already, so throw those in there. I'm sure Donkey Konga would pull people into an arcade even now, had it not been available for GameCube. Of course the microphone and Mario Party 6 could have made fun arcade gaming, but again was done for console. Nintendo has little incentive to return to arcades, but their ideas for them would be great. If they wanted to, they could probably be the company to revitilize the market.

Crazy Taxi was a console-like idea that would work just because it was so ideal for arcades. And it did have some success, I'm assuming, since it came to consoles. It could have worked better in the arcade if the industry was healthier. Wario Ware would have been a runaway success if it were in arcades during a healthy period. That gambling idea that the article mentioned is fantastic. Sounds a hell of a lot better than slots to me. It would also make Vegas sound more enticing because winning would be skill-based, but that would attract less 'gamblers', so it's less suitable for that market. That's sort of like the way current arcades sometimes offer prizes with tickets that games give you for doing well (usually physical games like air hockey, hoops or ball-in-the-hole games), but I don't know if those are successful or not. They're still around, so maybe they are.

I guess we could ask why anyone would want arcades when such great arcadey ideas are coming to the home. I think there are three possible reasons: the social aspect, cost to the consumer, and prizes. Sometimes it's nice just to watch others play (like when you're out of money), and it's cheaper to spend ten dollars on several games that would cost hundreds to own. And then some people might go to the games that offer prizes, especially if that were money. It's just a tricky market, but I don't think a lot of developers have gone very far in trying to make it successful.

DrDogg

Pretty good article... nothing we didn't already know though. And a little more research would've been nice. They're acting like Namco's Tekken tournaments are new. They've done a national tournament at least since Tekken 3 if not before. Hardcore Tekken fans expected a Tekken 5 national tournament as soon as the game was announced.

Beyond that slight error, good article.

Flynn

Fongul said:

I also like all the cute girls who show up for the photobooths and claw games.

ArcadeStickMonk said:
No it fucking is not. I mean. I am glad that you can get some enjoyment out of such places, but they typically stock for the half-soused fuckers who think it's awesome to play a snowboarding game or pretend to bet on fake horses.

The only decent games you can count on being in these places is light-gun shooters, and even then they might screw ya and only stock Confidential Misson. Their stocks are mostly old and seriously worn. Aftermarket, non-recoiling Time Crisis guns, anyone?

I guess I've lucked out with my local Gameworks. They've got tons of good light gun games in good working order. And a sports bar. =) Shit, they've even got a few good, working pinball machines. Those are hard to come by these days.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Jonnyram said:
I don't think Konami are going to give up the Bemani distribution, even in the US.
Konami US's coin-op division is dead dead dead dead dead. Have been dead for years. DDRUSA was their last product.
Repeat: they are dead. Just drilling this point home since rumors tend to pop up every now and then (not as frequently anymore though).

SaitoH

There are arcades?

All kidding aside, it's a shame because in smaller cities -like where I live- there is literally one actual arcade and "some games" at a few theatres. I used to love to go to the arcade and be wowed by the new technology, but those days are long since gone.

Yep, the only arcades in my city are a couple of Putt Putt Golf and Games, a Chucky Cheese, another local plays that's kind of like Chucky Cheese, and a couple of theaters (one has a Virtua Cop 3 arcade). The proper arcades all died out, including 2 in the main mall.

I missed the social aspect....20 people around a SF2 machine, those were the days.

belgurdo

Banned
I remember when I was a kid every mall here in Indy had at least two "open air" arcades (inside the main hallway) and one arcade room; now, downtown is the only place where I can find up to date games and 90% of them are racers, redemption, and gun games

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
BlackClouds said:
Yep, the only arcades in my city are a couple of Putt Putt Golf and Games, a Chucky Cheese,....

I'm really surprised Chucky Cheese is around. I went when I was like 11...and that was 20 years ago! Whoever's running that place sure knows what he's doing...

WarPig

ArcadeStickMonk said:
I'm putting my last prayers on the Atomiswave. May I one day find Dolphin Blue.

You feel this way because you've never seen or played Dolphin Blue.

In re: Konami, they do actually have a thriving coin-op business...making slot machines. They're way the fuck out of the American arcade biz, though.

DFS.

isamu

WarPig said:
You feel this way because you've never seen or played Dolphin Blue.

In re: Konami, they do actually have a thriving coin-op business...making slot machines. They're way the fuck out of the American arcade biz, though.

DFS.

Are you saying DB isn't a good game? What's wrong with it? Just curious?

WarPig

Dolphin Blue's a mediocre side-scroller. It would have been a peach, like, 10+ years ago running on old Capcom hardware or something, but it's absolutely nothing special today.

I remember seeing the Atomiswave for the very first time at the fall 2001 or 2002 AM show in Japan and thinking Jesus fucking Christ, what the fuck is Sammy thinking. All the games looked godawful. And that was even before they sicked Demolish Fist on us.

Going to successive arcade shows in Japan, I felt a lot like this guy talking about AMOA. Fall 2000 AM show was BOSS, with shit like Planet Harriers. Fall 2002 AM show, the highlight was Capcom Fighting All-Stars, which completely sucked a dick.

DFS.

Top Bottom