• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anarchy Reigns(NA/EU) |OT| Sega, I wish I could hate you to de- *$30* I LOVE YOU SEGA

Riposte

I've come to completely hate the menus between multiplayer matches. When I say that I'm including how slow and somewhat messed up matchmaking can be. I think they did a bad job here on removing obstacles to fun part of the game. Having to sit there while the game saves (what) after a bad loss is salt on the wounds. It is funny someone brought up Twisted Metal... though it is nowhere that bad (at least that was at launch).

As for the matches themselves... well, I've been swearing more than usual, lol. I think my problem is just losing a grasp on what is going on. A lot of moments where I don't why something happened. I don't know if it is netcode (it has been bad in some cases) or just me not understanding the game. Also I don't feel like I am earning my victories since I can still get utterly dominated by certain players who clearly do know what is going on.

I've switched to Bayonetta (code worked). Seems like a real neat character. Did well in quite a few Cage Matches.

What skills does everyone use?

EDIT: Lock on seems kind of useless once you are in a melee with more than one dude.

vulva

I unlocked Ai Rin earlier today before heading out. From her reveal trailer, I decided she would be my mine. I will make it so.

Exr

I've come to completely hate the menus between multiplayer matches. When I say that I'm including how slow and somewhat messed up matchmaking can be. I think they did a bad job here on removing obstacles to fun part of the game. Having to sit there while the game saves (what) after a bad loss is salt on the wounds. It is funny someone brought up Twisted Metal... though it is nowhere that bad (at least that was at launch).

As for the matches themselves... well, I've been swearing more than usual, lol. I think my problem is just losing a grasp on what is going on. A lot of moments where I don't why something happened. I don't know if it is netcode (it has been bad in some cases) or just me not understanding the game. Also I don't feel like I am earning my victories since I can still get utterly dominated by certain players who clearly do know what is going on.

I've switched to Bayonetta (code worked). Seems like a real neat character. Did well in quite a few Cage Matches.

What skills does everyone use?

So far I use the ability that lets you use the joy attack for no health loss. Super useful online as most players dont know how to react to spin attacks mid combo. Are there any abilities as useful as this as the unlocks go on?

Foxix Von

Just played my first round of death ball.

OOOHHH MYYY GOOODDDDD

That was awesome. We ran a tied game. We were always down by exactly one goal and constantly managed to come back up. Right as it was going to end I snagged the ball and just barely managed to toss it into the goal setting us into over time, we would have lost if I had tried to run it. So awesome.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sorry I missed all the invites tonight. Was playing SP and I have notifications off. Didn't think to check for them.

I'm surprised how good the single player is. Really fun so far.

Foxix Von

I tried out Garuda but as always the heavier grappler types are tricky for me. On a whim I tried Durga and something totally clicked. There's something really appealing about having ranged maneuvers, jumping over a crowd and bombing everyone beneath me haha.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So would I like this if I hated Madworld?

For what it's worth I hated Madworld as well(blesphemy, I know, and I mean REALLY didn't like it) and I'm having an absolute hoot with the game.

While this game take some spiritual concepts from Madworld, mainly in the design of the overworld "arena" stages, it really is to me like a more casual Godhand. That's not a bad thing; it's big bold punchy fun, very very easy to get into.

Mupod

So would I like this if I hated Madworld?

depends on what you hated about it. They really aren't similar at all outside of a few characters, the soundtrack, a couple throwable items and I guess the fact that they are third person and you punch people.

Jarmel

Banned
depends on what you hated about it. They really aren't similar at all outside of a few characters, the soundtrack, a couple throwable items and I guess the fact that they are third person and you punch people.

I hated the repetition of Madworld and how awful the combat and movement system was.

Eusis

I think the big difference is that MadWorld was primarily about killing people in unique, vicious ways, whereas this is more about just pounding the shit out of a lot of things (that can and will fight back this time!)

Foxix Von

While this game take some spiritual concepts from Madworld, mainly in the design of the overworld "arena" stages, it really is to me like a more casual Godhand. That's not a bad thing; it's big bold punchy fun, very very easy to get into.

That's actually a really good way of putting it. The game has objects in the environment, yeah, but the items aren't really the focus nor are special environmental kills. There's a score you need to advance to progress through the main plot but it's determined directly by how you're playing and how you are executing combos. It's straight up about the brawling like God Hand is albeit in a far less punishing format that also has far more wiggle room in it's gameplay and mechanics. It really feels like they took some of the ideas of God Hand and tried to make it work in a multiplayer setting. You really couldn't translate those mechanics directly and have it function so it feels a lot like a spiritual successor.

Exr

Anybody got any tips for online? I always seem to end up at the bottom of the pack in terms of points.

Try to stay aware and don't forget to breath and leave the action for a second if need be. Lots of players I see online get committed to these in close, messy slugfests among 4 other people in a small space. Engage people on your terms and don't get tunnel vision. Also maybe it's just me, but I never realized how fast the special weapons meter fills. Keep using it! It's super strong and can be very damaging to players at half hp or under. One game I jumped up 4 spots on the board in the last few seconds due to a huge multikill with Barons super uppercut thing.

Ferrio

Banned
Hit confirming online is a pain in the ass. Lots of matches hits will land, blood will fly, cracking of bones will be heard... but it doesn't register damage wise. Not cool :(.

Also I freaking hate stuns.

Mesoian

The online needs to be better than what it is. I'm playing against people that are all 3 bars or higher and it is complete laggy bullshit.

Foxix Von

The online needs to be better than what it is. I'm playing against people that are all 3 bars or higher and it is complete laggy bullshit.

Yeah it can kind of be a crapshoot. I've had some games that are absolutely flawless and others? Not so much.

I know we won't get it but I really, really want a sequel to this game already.

Durga is such a piece of shit on hard mode, always attacking at range. Feels good to finally get rampage and berserk on his ass to finish the fight. Can't block that you bastard.

Eusis

I commented on this in-game, but I bet this would be really good on a LAN. It seems like timing's way more important here, and I could see the potential issues of playing on the same system and it being unable to cope, but just having 3-16 systems on the same network? That should largely eliminate the lag factor and make the game really shine.

I also imagine either 60 FPS or a very stable 30 FPS would do well too though: this is really showing to me why it'd be foolish to aim for 30 FPS at least for multiplayer games next gen: those are the games hit hardest by dipping below 30, and once you really get into a multiplayer game you won't give a shit how cutting edge the visuals are (case in point: CoD's THE most successful multiplayer shooter).

Neiteio

My DLC code worked tonight! And every online match went off without a hitch -- not a single disconnect, and I played a LOT of matches! Everything went perfectly smoothly tonight, unlike last night where I was learning the ropes and I kept running into technical difficulties.

This game is INCREDIBLY fun.

this game is so fun. I hope the community stays alive

for all of you guys on Xbox 360, I started this gamertag named "FGC GAF" last week. I mainly made it to help assist other gaffers find a match with each other in any fighting game. I would say that this game is close enough to a fighting game. add this gamer tag, see who's playing in the friends list and then message them/invite them.

let's keep this game alive!

edit: BTW op you can add me to the 360 list: Emperor Bohe

RobbieNick

How come this game is not available as a direct download? At $29.99, it makes a good impulse buy.

Also, why no demo? The original Japanese version had a demo available and it got me to import the game early.

Foxix Von

Is there some sort of trick to big bull? I just played a battle royal match and the big bull player would go something ridiculous like 16-0. I tried picking a fight with him but any time I'd get close he would do some really weird series of evades REALLY quick and with very short intervals and just high tail it out of the fight.

NFreak

Try to stay aware and don't forget to breath and leave the action for a second if need be. Lots of players I see online get committed to these in close, messy slugfests among 4 other people in a small space. Engage people on your terms and don't get tunnel vision. Also maybe it's just me, but I never realized how fast the special weapons meter fills. Keep using it! It's super strong and can be very damaging to players at half hp or under. One game I jumped up 4 spots on the board in the last few seconds due to a huge multikill with Barons super uppercut thing.

Be sure to use the 360 move. It'll save your butt on gang-ups.

Thanks! I'll keep these in mind next time I play.

d0c_zaius

more random observations:

-mad survival is a good way to level up. its also pretty fun, especially when you get some awesome tag combos and juggles.

-cpu bot AI seems to be hit and miss

-two garudas as a team fighting and flying on each other is funny as hell and reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzjaoKSAXhA&t=0m22s. That being said I didnt get a chance to try it cause I was too busy trying to catch up to my teammate:(

- I wasn't expecting crazy big bosses even if they do get a little old, the fights are cool overall.

- once you stop mashing and adjust to the pace of the fight and dodging, its sooo gooood

Shizzlee

Is there some sort of trick to big bull?

No, he's ass.

I just played a battle royal match and the big bull player would go something ridiculous like 16-0.

Sounds like he was playing really smart and stealing kills. I commend this random big bull.

I tried picking a fight with him but any time I'd get close he would do some really weird series of evades REALLY quick and with very short intervals and just high tail it out of the fight.

Sounds like he was using Master Evader. That lets you dodge 6 times without stopping and increases the distance your dodge takes you. That should allow you to get away from anyone. Either that or he was infinite dodging.

Recall

Just got my email from amazon uk that Anarchy Reigns has shipped and I should get it by Monday. I really hope people are still playing by then especially on the Xbox 360 side.

I really hope the community doesn't die too soon
As silly as it sounds, it makes me wish that there was a system link mode to the game so that at least I can feel holistically sound that no matter what happens to the online the multiplayer would still be possible. I say it's silly because I would never be in the position to use such a mode anyway.

JaxJag

Banned
This game just isn't very good, and overpriced at $29.99.

The online setup is archaic (can't switch teams, wtf?), menus are bad, graphics look blurry, art style is atrocious, story is awful, repetitive dialogue like Max Anarchy saying "fuck you!" is groan inducing. Campaign is just bad, having to play the campaign to unlock characters in multiplayer is even worse. Combat is fun, but seems shallow.

You can change your team in multiplayer by selecting player list and pressing Triangle/Y (though in this case I would agree the menus are clumsy in that sense). Campaign's just one way to get the characters as well, you can alternatively unlock them through ranking up in multiplayer.

You got a chuckle out of me with "repetitive dialogue like Max Anarchy saying 'fuck you!' is groan inducing" though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
This game just isn't very good, and overpriced at $29.99.

The online setup is archaic (can't switch teams, wtf?), menus are bad, graphics look blurry, art style is atrocious, story is awful, repetitive dialogue like Max Anarchy saying "fuck you!" is groan inducing. Campaign is just bad, having to play the campaign to unlock characters in multiplayer is even worse. Combat is fun, but seems shallow.

1. What? Do you mean Jack Cayman? There IS a character named Max (not Max Anarchy), but he doesn't say "Fuck you" at all.

2. You don't have to play Campaign at all to unlock characters.

Majukun

so,is anyone still having problems downloadig the DLCs or everything is ok now?
still waiting for my copy from zavvi :(

so,is anyone still having problems downloadig the DLCs or everything is ok now?
still waiting for my copy from zavvi :(
Try to track your order (trackmail.co.uk i think and tracking number from email). What does it say? Because they are scanning my order since 2 weeks ago and it didnt arrived yet.

Foxix Von

No, he's ass.

Sounds like he was playing really smart and stealing kills. I commend this random big bull.

Sounds like he was using Master Evader. That lets you dodge 6 times without stopping and increases the distance your dodge takes you. That should allow you to get away from anyone. Either that or he was infinite dodging.

Ahhhh didn't realize there was a perk for that. Thanks!

Also what's infinite dodging?

I can't imagine he was having much fun. He really wasn't playing, just sitting on the side lines most of the game and finishing whoever he could pick off. It might give a high score but that sounds like a really boring way to play.

Top Bottom