• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anarchy Reigns(NA/EU) |OT| Sega, I wish I could hate you to de- *$30* I LOVE YOU SEGA

Himself

Does the single player get much more varied or anything?

About 2 hours in and feel like I'm playing dynasty warriors with random explosions thrown in. I'm thinking it's just not up my alley.

I thought there was plenty of variety in the missions, between one on one fights, brawls, vehicle missions, gun missions, death ball or whatever it's called, tornadoes, krakens, etc.

I love how between missions the game just let's you go do whatever you want as things continue to get more insane. Its extremely "gamey" and awesome.

kiyomi

Copy arrived, played through the first white stage. Loved that fight with Garuda, Durga and that music.

Sent a few friend requests out, will be playing some MP later.

Mupod

Man I almost got on the Giantbomb stream last night but the invites failed. I guess it's a NAT problem, haven't had to worry about that in so long since I haven't played a console game online since...I don't even remember.

Gonna have to call my ISP I guess since I have some locked-down VOIP router that nobody has ever heard of. I think the real reason I can't find matches is that nobody has the mode I want to play though, the 360 leaderboards for Mad Survival are nearly empty.

On a related note, holy hell at the 3xBar-Bot and 2x Max wave. The best I've managed to do is take out the Maxes and one Bot, and that was only once. The first time I encountered that our whole team was wiped by the Bar-Bots in about half a second.

Sega was really smart pricing this game the way they did. And you certainly don't see many brawlers anymore. Picking it up today.

It is just plain fun and easy to get into. Hope the pricing gets even more people to pick it up.

My only wish is that I had more time for it. Hope for more this weekend.

Is game really needs an options screen region select setting. JP disc owners in NA for example cannot create custom games in another region(like NA). So a NA player with a JP disc cannot create a NA room. Quick match also always defaults to JP region so that becomes useless.

:(

Other than that i still love the game even though I suck. Are there any tutorials or combo guides out there? It seems like other players know something i dont lol

atomico

Lost the first 2 rounds of an online cage match miserably (2nd one by "perfect", even), but managed to turn it over and kicked the guy's ass on the last 3 rounds :D

Loving Sasha so far. Is she bottom tier or something? I haven't seen anybody play as her online

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Is game really needs an options screen region select setting. JP disc owners in NA for example cannot create custom games in another region(like NA). So a NA player with a JP disc cannot create a NA room. Quick match also always defaults to JP region so that becomes useless.

l

Oh wow all this time I wasn't aware region mattered

how do you even change it if it's not in the menu?

Mupod

Land the regular strong killer weapon attack (tapping triangle) just right.

there's another one too, at least for some characters. I haven't tested it with everyone but if Jack and Douglas land their fully charged strong killer weapon within a certain range they get a little cutscene move.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow all this time I wasn't aware region mattered

how do you even change it if it's not in the menu?

When you're looking for a custom match, or looking to set up custom match, there's an option about which region you prefer. Pretty handy.

Serra

Other than that i still love the game even though I suck. Are there any tutorials or combo guides out there? It seems like other players know something i dont lol

Practice combos in the practice mode. It displays a move list for each character and lights up as you do it.

I didnt know that. Thanks Serra!

When you're looking for a custom match, or looking to set up custom match, there's an option about which region you prefer. Pretty handy.

Thats not entirely accurate. You cannot select the region you prefer when you set up a custom ranked match. It defaults to the disc region and you cannot change that hence my post.

Hagi

Just got this awesome game. Started Leo' s campaign its really fun, story is a bit crazy. Krakens, mutants and pig men lol like leo says there really is some scary shit in this world.

Sasha is <3 Platinum have some wicked character designers. It would be great to get some games going online is pretty sparse. Here's my PSN Hagi; Sylar996; PS3.

Mupod

The character designs and animations are seriously amazing. Saddening that most of them will probably never show up in another game again, although I'm sure someone said that about Jack/Mathilda/Baron from Madworld before this game was announced heh.

How is this as a single player experience? Obviously it's a multiplayer game but my Internet occasionally decides to die.

How is the practice mode? Is single player only jack and Leo? How are the bots?

I might impulse this today off of the strenght oh revengence demo to give platinum more of my money.

Mupod

How is this as a single player experience? Obviously it's a multiplayer game but my Internet occasionally decides to die.

How is the practice mode? Is single player only jack and Leo? How are the bots?

I might impulse this today off of the strenght oh revengence demo to give platinum more of my money.

There's a practice mode, a training room and you can play with bots yes. None of the achievements require online.

The singleplayer isn't that long but as I've said, it surprised me with how good it is. The demo had me thinking that it'd be super boring 'kill 50 trash mobs or this basic CPU opponent' all the time. It kept reminding me of God Hand although once you get the hang of the game it's super easy on Normal (especially as Leo). Plot's pretty simple but some of the characters are great, I want to hear Max tell old cop stories all day.

You primarily play as Jack and Leo in the campaign but there are frequent missions where you can use someone else (and I believe at least one where you HAVE to). Once you beat the game you can play any mission as whoever you want, I believe.

So yeah, most people would argue that this game isn't worth it without online but I feel I've gotten 30 bucks out of it despite barely touching the online. Although I love Mad Survival and I wish there were more co-op online modes.

So how do I get Leo's Red Side? I beat the story with both characters and got Jack's Red Side and I still don't have the Gargoyle. wut do?

Mupod

So how do I get Leo's Red Side? I beat the story with both characters and got Jack's Red Side and I still don't have the Gargoyle. wut do?

Start a new campaign except play Leo's side first. Yep.

I suppose it won't be so bad since I wanted to play through on Hard anyways. And Leo is basically easy mode to begin with.

Start the game with Leo and beat it again

Kill a player with the Vaccine

Thanks Retro.

Next week, I'm going to continue covering this game. Probably just tips on the characters, levels, and modes. It'll have to take a backseat to another project, depending on what happens, but I'd like to keep the ball rolling with this title.

LuchaShaq

Banned
So is this game actually good? It looked like shovelwear budget trash to me.

After 3-4 hours it still feels like that to me personally. That said so many people in this thread seem to dig it so maybe try to rent or borrow it. It drives me nuts pubs aren't more flexible with price so I wanted to love this game so bad but I just don't.

The closest comparison would be dynasty warriors with random set pieces that are dumb in a bad way instead of dumb in a funny way, also lots of really poorly written puns and family guy style awful random for the sake of random humor.

Sending it back to gamefly today.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
After 3-4 hours it still feels like that to me personally. That said so many people in this thread seem to dig it so maybe try to rent or borrow it. It drives me nuts pubs aren't more flexible with price so I wanted to love this game so bad but I just don't.

The closest comparison would be dynasty warriors with random set pieces that are dumb in a bad way instead of dumb in a funny way, also lots of really poorly written puns and family guy style awful random for the sake of random humor.

Sending it back to gamefly today.

Are you talking about the single player?

While it's not bad, the meat of the game is in multiplayer. Game is surprisingly deep and tech, good combat system. Beating up on the trash enemies in the campaign hub stages doesn't really represent the game at its best.

kiyomi

Can you skip cutscenes? Sure I tried everything but couldn't seem to do it.

Doesn't seem like it the first time, anyway.

Beat the White stage 2. Really enjoying it. I quite like playing as Leo.

Trying to go online with it but unfortunately my ISP has picked this week to screw my internet up. Can't hold a steady connection to the PSN.

Mupod

Can you skip cutscenes? Sure I tried everything but couldn't seem to do it.

you can, press...uh...select? back? What's that button called on these newfangled systems again? Having a senior moment here.

I think you might need to have seen the cutscene once before skipping. Not sure. You can skip the talking head sequences too.

The singleplayer isn't that long but as I've said, it surprised me with how good it is. The demo had me thinking that it'd be super boring 'kill 50 trash mobs or this basic CPU opponent' all the time. It kept reminding me of God Hand although once you get the hang of the game it's super easy on Normal (especially as Leo). Plot's pretty simple but some of the characters are great, I want to hear Max tell old cop stories all day.

I couldn't disagree more with you, I think the singleplayer's utterly abysmal and it was really short sighted of Platinum to make players go through the campaign to unlock all the skills in multiplayer. I've only finished the shit side but "kill 50 trash mobs" and "beat basic CPU opponent" is exactly what it is, albeit with the occasional shitty turret/monster riding segment thrown in. The whole thing felt monotonous to me with the only somewhat challenging mission being the one where you unlock Douglas. On top of that the budget cut-scenes and god awful dialogue didn't make it any less painful for me.

With that said the multi-player alone makes the game well worth the price.

Roto13

I couldn't disagree more with you, I think the singleplayer's utterly abysmal and it was really short sighted of Platinum to make players go through the campaign to unlock all the skills in multiplayer. I've only finished the shit side but "kill 50 trash mobs" and "beat basic CPU opponent" is exactly what it is, albeit with the occasional shitty turret/monster riding segment thrown in. The whole thing felt monotonous to me with the only somewhat challenging mission being the one where you unlock Douglas. On top of that the budget cut-scenes and god awful dialogue didn't make it any less painful for me.

Is this your first brawler?

Is this your first brawler?

Nice argument.

The fact is it's boring as hell due to the lack of any threat, God Hand wouldn't have been considered a good brawler if it had been an easy game. Also the lack of variety of enemies feels lazy to me, splitting the campaign into 2 so they can use all the levels twice doesn't help with that, then locking the red chapters behind the order which the campaigns are finished so you need to complete them both again is ludicrous.

I think the single player's really bad even by the standards of a brawler.

Takuan

Is it true that I can play the DLC game modes as long as I'm invited into the game by someone who has the DLC? Do I have to be specifically invited?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Is it true that I can play the DLC game modes as long as I'm invited into the game by someone who has the DLC? Do I have to be specifically invited?

No you need the DLC to play in the modes

kai3345

Banned
Yeah single player looked pretty shitty, MP looks like the meat of the game. Can the upgrades be unlocked in Multiplayer too, or just single player?

kiyomi

I'd love to play some deathball, every time I've joined a lobby so far it's been half empty and never filled up afterwards. I managed to play a couple of BR matches with ~15 players and it was great.

Should be back on again in a few hours if GAF wants some games.

I don't like how the game is organized either, but it does the same sort of thing every modern action game does. It breaks up the game by requiring multiple plays to unlock everything, and has multiple difficulties which I feel compromises the balance of the game-- since it's up to the player to find the right difficulty, which is sort of a chore. I'm probably in the 0.0000001% minority here who would love for there to be just one difficulty mode (a really tough one, that would take weeks to beat something just a few hours long), one campaign, with all the characters selectable from the start in single player. I definitely like the game, but probably not enough to play through it more than once in single player, much less on multiple difficulty modes to try to find the "best" experience.

The way the stages are designed as hub worlds with missions made me think this would work great in a Smash Bros. game-- and it fits the style of the game since it's more of an arena brawler than a traditional beat-em-up-- but I think I was secretly hoping this game would be more like Spikeout than Power Stone. I guess it's sort of a mix of both.

rmanthorp

Just finished the game and one thing stuck out to me. Although the story wasn't great and the dialogue was completely forgettable. They way the cutscenes were shot and how the action played out in them was amazing. They played really fast a loose with angles and made some crazy cuts. Makes me so excited for Revengeance.

Teknoman

PlatinumgamesJP said that you can unlock things via MP alone if you want. Just keep leveling up.

Just grabbed my copy from GAME today, wouldn't mind seeing Platinum take on the SoR franchise, although it would have to be a little slower then their recent games.

Looking forward to playing the story mode later!

Ya I hate it too. The game suddenly turns stupid once the players start hitting full rampage mode... which is usually toward the end of the clock.
Is this when you get electrocuted and the analog stick and buttons come up on the screen and start flashing? Because I havent figured out what to do when that comes up, so I just start mashing. I have no idea if it does anything though.

Zefiro

Banned
Shouldn't this be available on the play station store already?
Seems like there is not a single retail copy to buy in Italy, and i was just hoping to get my game by DD.

Top Bottom