• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anarchy Reigns(NA/EU) |OT| Sega, I wish I could hate you to de- *$30* I LOVE YOU SEGA

Neiteio

Mad Survival is my favorite mode, and easily the best way to level up. They need to make this available to the non-preorder people fast. Making it a bonus just means there are fewer people for preorder people like myself to play with!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
They probably think it's some OP DLC character.

Also won a TDM against like two 13 year olds talking on the mic ._.

Jawmuncher

Mad Survival is my favorite mode, and easily the best way to level up. They need to make this available to the non-preorder people fast. Making it a bonus just means there are fewer people for preorder people like myself to play with!

I heard that as well.
Sucks what many call the best mode is preorder only. Is there any plans for the mode and Bayonetta to ever be DLC? Especially the mode.

SkylineRKR

Agree about Fei-Rin, its just very satisfying to finish an enemy with her aerial L2+Triangle move. Also, one boob of Fei is bigger than the ones of her sisters combined, lol.

Kazzy

No idea. I just kept hearing "damn Bayonetta" or "fucking Bayonetta, man". And not in a good way. I didn't have my headset plugged in, so I couldn't hear most of what they were saying over the game itself, but they were definitely bitching about Bayo.

Whatever the case may be, hearing that just compels me to use Bayonetta!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
at least some kids have taste

In games you mean? haha.

Also
j3V90.jpg

Was just glitched ontop of the Kraken as it spawned in the level and I couldn't move so I just attacked it alone for like 2 minutes and killed it. 500k points for not helping my team ヽ(゜▽、゜)ノ

Vercimber

THIS game. What a wonderful surprise. Lots of fun--anybody on the fence and in this thread should take the $30 plunge. Lots to do in the game, and those who don't like competitive online can find a lot to love in the three-player survival. Characters are stupidly (ie., excellently) over-the-top, and the cyborg/apocalyptic atmosphere is also cool.

Thanks, Platinum Games. You're the best in the business as far as I'm concerned.

Neiteio

You can vote for this in the GOTY thread, people. Technically originally came out in 2012.

(I'm probably going to forget to vote, lol)

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Had a great time playing Death Ball lastnight. Did an early match and had my ass handed to me. Then I did some scrimmage and figured out a few things and went back into multiplayer. I scored 6 goals and we almost had a flawless victory until the other team scored a goal at the last second. The next game I scored two, but we still lost by one goal. I think GAF should really put a Death Ball tourney together.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
No idea. I just kept hearing "damn Bayonetta" or "fucking Bayonetta, man". And not in a good way. I didn't have my headset plugged in, so I couldn't hear most of what they were saying over the game itself, but they were definitely bitching about Bayo.

They're just salty because they didn't get her.

Jhoan

I still can't beat Tiger Wing and Lion Fin (White side) for the life of me on Hard. I've been trying to beat it for over an hour already. It's extremely frustrating. The second half is a pain in the ass. I currently have the missile launcher and Thunder trap equipped but right off the bat I get rushed and/or ganged up.

Any tips on how to make this fight easier? I've almost taken out
Durga but Garuda throws a wrench into thing with his ridiculously strong slamming move.
Maybe I should prioritize one over the other?

B00TE

I still can't beat Tiger Wing and Lion Fin (White side) for the life of me on Hard. I've been trying to beat it for over an hour already. It's extremely frustrating. The second half is a pain in the ass. I currently have the missile launcher and Thunder trap equipped but right off the bat I get rushed and/or ganged up.

Any tips on how to make this fight easier? I've almost taken out
Durga but Garuda throws a wrench into thing with his ridiculously strong slamming move.
Maybe I should prioritize one over the other?

If this is the fight I'm thinking of, this was the only time I ever ran into trouble through the whole game.

You did good starting the fight with items, but if I remember right you can also start the fight with a full Rampage bar (just fight dudes while roaming around till you get it, then start the mission etc). If you take at least one of them out, it's a cake walk from there.

EDIT: Probably worth noting that you probably won't be able to drop one of them with the rampage, but you'll start much more comfortably.

Vodh

Turning the tables at the 2v2 deathmatch by winning two rampage mashing duels in a row is a blast, love this game :D

Seriously, everything about it is just amazing. Even the soundtrack - as Roto wrote in his review, I too normally don't listen to this kind of music, but the selection of tracks is just perfect in this game.

akaoni

Banned
I just spent 20-30 minutes trying to get a single game going, and then I ended up experiencing my first game of deathball where we lost 20-1 to a premade, the 1 being scored by a CPU teammate. My impression is that the mode is an abomination, but two teams that all know how to play could be interesting? Mostly what I saw was the enemy ball carrier running along and spamming their 360 attack if you got close. I hope the poor matchmaking right now is just a temporary thing, because I was getting games with no issues a few days ago. It doesn't help that the online menus are terrible, and the playerbase is needlessly split between 'Ranked'/'Player'. Just what is the justification for this in every single online console game?

Takuan

Been playing through the SP campaign the entire afternoon and don't get the hate. The characters are well voice-acted, adds a lot to their personalities. I just wish you could use someone other than Jack more often.

Jhoan

If this is the fight I'm thinking of, this was the only time I ever ran into trouble through the whole game.

You did good starting the fight with items, but if I remember right you can also start the fight with a full Rampage bar (just fight dudes while roaming around till you get it, then start the mission etc). If you take at least one of them out, it's a cake walk from there.

EDIT: Probably worth noting that you probably won't be able to drop one of them with the rampage, but you'll start much more comfortably.

I finally beat it. I used the missile launcher and Rampage on
Garuda
taking him out first. I used the shock traps sparingly as well. After that, it was much, much easier to gang up on the last dude, juggling and spamming the Killer Weapon. But thanks any way.

Neiteio

If you have trouble finding a game by searching, try hosting one -- it may take a few minutes longer, but you'll likely get a game going eventually.

Zomba13

I just spent 20-30 minutes trying to get a single game going, and then I ended up experiencing my first game of deathball where we lost 20-1 to a premade, the 1 being scored by a CPU teammate. My impression is that the mode is an abomination, but two teams that all know how to play could be interesting? Mostly what I saw was the enemy ball carrier running along and spamming their 360 attack if you got close. I hope the poor matchmaking right now is just a temporary thing, because I was getting games with no issues a few days ago. It doesn't help that the online menus are terrible, and the playerbase is needlessly split between 'Ranked'/'Player'. Just what is the justification for this in every single online console game?

I hate that. I really don't get why so many games do it. Just have one mode where you rank/level up and not split the player base.

I love this game, but now that I'm back home I have to get back to the point I was at on my friends PS3. It's basically Madworld 2 with multiplayer and color but I'm not complaining. My PSN is MaxwellGT2000 if people want to play.

Yuterald

Totally agree. This game feels like it would have been a perfect late-era Dreamcast game.

Yeah, this is definitely one of those mid-cycle PS2 action game gems. It's like something that would have released during the early-to-mid 2000's, or as you said, a late-era Dreamcast game. I guess the majority of today's gamers (the media, critics) don't want these types of games anymore. I for one fucking bathe in this sort of shit. I've always felt like Platinum was the last developer carrying the torch from the PS2 era. I doubt they look at it with that perspective, but that's how I see it. Games like Bayonetta, for example, are perfect extensions/evolutions to games like Devil May Cry 1/3.

It's also nice to see how they rely very little on DLC and all that other modern day gaming garbage too. It feels so good to actually get a game with unlockables and cool ranking/total results screens.

Oh, and I too fucking love the cut scenes in their games. I always look forward to that P* logo display during the introduction. It's the kind of shit Capcom used to do (and still does, to some degree), only Platinum Games doesn't suck shit. I've said it a million times and I'm sure others have thought this too, but PG is my new Capcom. They've been my new Capcom since Bayonetta and with each passing release that sentiment only becomes stronger. I REALLY hope these guys can stick around for good because no one else is doing shit like this (although, I do think Yakuza Studio still has that "it" factor).

Neiteio

Platinum Games is like the last great bastion of Japanese Action. I'm hoping Shinji Mikami's Tango Gameworks will do the same for J-Survival Horror.

Eusis

Yeah, this is definitely one of those mid-cycle PS2 action game gems. It's like something that would have released during the early-to-mid 2000's, or as you said, a late-era Dreamcast game. I guess the majority of today's gamers (the media, critics) don't want these types of games anymore. I for one fucking bathe in this sort of shit. I've always felt like Platinum was the last developer carrying the torch from the PS2 era. I doubt they look at it with that perspective, but that's how I see it. Games like Bayonetta, for example, are perfect extensions/evolutions to games like Devil May Cry 1/3.
Well, honestly something like this practically screamed for multiplayer, plus the point unlock system can add a bit of fat (though I think the intent is to replay events, which I did past the the first "world".) Something like this practically screamed for multiplayer though, which puts it ahead of the PS2 stuff at least.
It's also nice to see how they rely very little on DLC and all that other modern day gaming garbage too. It feels so good to actually get a game with unlockables and cool ranking/total results screens.
Too bad they hit in some of the worst areas: a great pre-order only character, and multiplayer modes. Those should never be DLC unless it's a free add on later on, and most of all YOU DO NOT MAKE THEM PRE-ORDER EXCLUSIVE, that moves it from "you'll divide the player base by making some need to buy it!" to "why did you even waste your time making that mode?" At least there's bot matches, and this may be more Sega's fault with GameStop possibly aggravating it if they pursued an NA exclusive offer.

Yuterald

Anyone know who the cut scene director is for this game? I didn't catch it in the introduction. Just started over again because I barely made any progress on the game when I picked it up. These cut scenes are class-city! Definitely better direction/camera cuts/whatever than MadWorld.

Well, honestly something like this practically screamed for multiplayer, plus the point unlock system can add a bit of fat (though I think the intent is to replay events, which I did past the the first "world".) Something like this practically screamed for multiplayer though, which puts it ahead of the PS2 stuff at least.

I get tons of old school vibes from this game, like Spikeout: Battle Street. That was an online Sega published multiplayer brawler too on the original XBOX and I would include that game in the PS2 action game era as well. Any Japanese action game from the PS2, GC, and XBOX era counts in my books, lol! Other than Spikeout, I'd say this is totally a modern day equivalent to Power Stone, especially if you want to talk multiplayer.

Too bad they hit in some of the worst areas: a great pre-order only character, and multiplayer modes. Those should never be DLC unless it's a free add on later on, and most of all YOU DO NOT MAKE THEM PRE-ORDER EXCLUSIVE, that moves it from "you'll divide the player base by making some need to buy it!" to "why did you even waste your time making that mode?" At least there's bot matches, and this may be more Sega's fault with GameStop possibly aggravating it if they pursued an NA exclusive offer.

Yeah, I hate DLC too, but Platinum is like one of the smallest offenders out there. What, there were like 3 pre-order guns for Vanquish and a few modes and a character for Anarchy? Not the biggest deal in my books when compared to the other companies out there. Bayonetta and its no-DLC stance was more than enough brownie points for me too. I get that it's a necessary evil, but at least PG doesn't try and pull tricks or BS its fans (unlike a certain other company...).

Takuan

Just finished the Black side's campaign. Leo's so much more fun to use than Jack.

On a technical note, is this game sub-HD res? There's a certain quality to the visuals that make it look like it's <720p.

Psy-Phi

Agreed. I'm in a holding pattern on buying this due to the DLC and the as yet decided future in the US for it. It can be bought on the 360 on JP XBL & JP PSN but I have no idea if DLC will carry over to the US versions. Until I find out, I'll just wait. I don't need the DLC "now", but I won't buy the game if I can't ever get it. And obviously I'd prefer if it weren't there at all. Per order exclusives have the opposite effect on me than the publisher would hope. I dislike being put into a position of "do it now or miss it forever", feels something like blackmail to me.

Kouichi

Just bought this and installing now. This will be my first Platinum game! Please add me to the list :) I think I'm going to use Durga.

"Kouichi; Kooichi-kun; PS3"

Wynnebeck

Banned
Bought this earlier today and it's staring at me in the bag. Do I put it in and play now or wait until after the football games? Hmmm.....

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Finished it today, spent practically all day playing it. Fantastic game.

Went online straight after and fucking beasted three straight games, one of which was a helicopter dogfight.

I shall never beast in such a manner ever again T___T

Ha! Any specific reason for this?
They are probably pissed because of the Bayonetta 2 "betrayal" :)

Anyway, I got the game delivered this morning and started story on the white side. So far pretty fun stuff!

I wanna finish sp before really getting into the mp to get access to all characters and, what's more important, to get better at the game :p

But I just did a quick match TDM as Leo and finished with a ratio of 2:5 and my team lost 18:20. Pretty close and it didn't feel like the total slaughter house the demo was for me :)

Stoked for more, great game right here!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I am not enjoying this game as much as I thought I would :(

Hasn't clicked with me yet. I hated MadWorld, and I feel too much of its stink is evident here. Its probably not been helped the only matches I've played online were lag out people appearing and disappearing terrible :/

I don't think the world's internet was quite ready for this game's requirements yet.

Neiteio

I am not enjoying this game as much as I thought I would :(

Hasn't clicked with me yet. I hated MadWorld, and I feel too much of its stink is evident here. Its probably not been helped the only matches I've played online were lag out people appearing and disappearing terrible :/

I don't think the world's internet was quite ready for this game's requirements yet.
Keep at it. My first night went like that, then oddly enough, Internet was smoother next day and my skills were more up to par. Play the campaign and training mode a bit to get used to toggling on the Killer Weapon and absorbing blows with guarding. Try tap the Killer Weapon button -- just tapping it -- in-between each dodge to extend your dodge infinitely. Don't be afraid to flee when you start taking damage; tactical retreats regenerate your health. Also, if you're in a free-for-all or any mode with multiple targets, try hanging back and stealing kills with rushing tackles and grabs -- I do this a lot with Big Bull and come away with tons of kills. :)

Himself

Just bought this and installing now. This will be my first Platinum game! Please add me to the list :) I think I'm going to use Durga.

"Kouichi; Kooichi-kun; PS3"

This is your first Platinum game?!?! Dude...do yourself a favor and get Bayonetta and Vanquish IMMEDIATELY. Anarchy is a blast, but Bayo and Quish are masterpieces.

Himself

Yeah, Big Bull rules.

Patiently waiting for a Death Ball lobby to fill up...

Someone asked last page, but didn't get any response: are you guys playing more Ranked or Player matches? I've been sticking to Player for no particular reason. I'm wondering which one is busier.

Zomba13

Yeah, Big Bull rules.

Patiently waiting for a Death Ball lobby to fill up...

Someone asked last page, but didn't get any response: are you guys playing more Ranked or Player matches? I've been sticking to Player for no particular reason. I'm wondering which one is busier.

I stick to Ranked as it's first on the list and I assume more people would play it. Plus leader boards and ranking up (unless they are also in player matches then in which case makes the split even stupider).

Roto13

I stick to Ranked as it's first on the list and I assume more people would play it. Plus leader boards and ranking up (unless they are also in player matches then in which case makes the split even stupider).

Ranking up is in player matches.

I know it's not strictly "good writing", but I'm quite fond of the story cutscenes, with White Side's "Grievous Reunion" being my personal favorite. You can see actual directing going on! The VAs are great, with Robert Pine (Maximilian) and Steve Blum (Jack) turning in particularly strong performances.

The fight scenes are pretty sick too. Man, this game. I'm so glad it made its way out of Japan.

Top Bottom